The Education Forum

Atomic Energy Museum Visit – Supporting Evidence?

Gerry Down

1 hour ago, Ian Lloyd said:

Looking at the list, there only seem to be a few visitors per day - maybe 3 or 4? If that's the case, you might expect someone to remember something of LHO visiting?

I think the "USSR" notation would be typical of LHO...hand-waving..."I'm here!"...

1 hour ago, Ian Lloyd said:

Looking at the list, there only seem to be a few visitors per day - maybe 3 or 4? If that's the case, you might expect someone to remember something of LHO visiting?

I think the "USSR" notation would be typical of LHO...hand-waving..."I'm here!"...

Well, I surmise signing the log book was voluntary. If you read the Mary Ferrel link above, evidently there was a group of students visiting the museum, and a tour group on July 26, but very few signatures. I gather the sign-in log was an informal document. 

No one appears to remember seeing LHO, but that is hardly dispositive. Maybe someone did, and the FBI did not do that interview. 

16 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Well, I surmise signing the log book was voluntary. If you read the Mary Ferrel link above, evidently there was a group of students visiting the museum, and a tour group on July 26, but very few signatures. I gather the sign-in log was an informal document. 

No one appears to remember seeing LHO, but that is hardly dispositive. Maybe someone did, and the FBI did not do that interview. 

Yes, probably just voluntary.

Curious story.  In his July 26, 1963, televised speech, the President explains that the treaty will strengthen national security, lessen the risk and fear of radioactive fallout, reduce world tension by encouraging further dialogue, and prevent acquisition of nuclear weapons by nations not currently possessing them. The President emphasizes that while the treaty does not eliminate the threat of nuclear war, a limited test ban is safer than an unlimited arms race. 

In a DOE blog maintained by writer Frank Munger, who covers the Dept. of Energy's Oak Ridge facilities, the following story about the signature sheet appears:

The copy surfaced on the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, when Gerald Boyd, former manager of the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge office, brought it to a meeting of the East Tennessee Economic Council and showed it around. It created a stir of interest and raised additional questions. In a telephone interview, Boyd said he’d been given a copy of the document about five years ago when he was still manager of DOE’s Oak Ridge office. Boyd said he doesn’t know where the original document is, but suggested it’s probably stored in the federal agency’s archives somewhere – possibly in Atlanta. He said there’s an assumption that the signature is authentic but doesn’t know if that has been verified ... it suggests possible Oak Ridge links to the assassination. The museum registration sheet would seem to suggest Oswald was in the presence of a number of other people from Texas. The old museum, which was owned by the Atomic Energy Commission and situated on the Oak Ridge Turnpike, has since been renamed the American Museum of Science and Energy and relocated to its current site on Tulane Avenue. 

Gene