The Education Forum

FBI Agent Fain Testifies That Oswald Was An FBI Informant

First, Fain defines what an informant is, one who WOULD ( was willing to ) supply information to the Bureau, then admits Oswald agreed to supply them with information. That makes Oswald ( by his definition ) an FBI informant.

4-H-429-fain.png

Edited by Gil Jesus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Michael Crane said:

Wasn't he receiving $200.00 a month?

Maybe that was from the C.I.A?

I'm pretty sure that it was the FBI.

Oswald agreed on two occasions to supply the FBi with information.

The first was during their interview of him on 6/26/62:

WH_Vol17_730-osw-agree-to-inform.gif

The second time was during their interview of him on 8/16/62:

WH_Vol17_733-osw-agreed-to-inform.gif

In addtiton, when the Dallas County Sheriff's Department was searching the Paine residence on the afternoon of 11/22, they recovered a "set of metal file cabinets" with the names and activities of Castro sympathizers.

files-of-cuban-sympathizers.gif

Why would Oswald be interested in Cuban sympathizers if he wasn't spying on them for the FBI ?

Roger Craig said that once arrested, Oswald acted like a man who had "blown his cover", saying "Now everyone will know who I am."

https://gil-jesus.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/craig-blown-cover.mp4

Edited by Gil Jesus

2 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

First, Fain defines what an informant is, one who WOULD ( was willing to ) supply information to the Bureau, then admits Oswald agreed to supply them with information. That makes Oswald ( by his definition ) an FBI informant.

I think you're misunderstanding "would" in this context. Oxford Learner's Dictionary:

12) would do something   used for talking about things that often happened in the past
SYNONYM   used to

• When my parents were away, my grandmother would take care of me.
  • He'd always be the first to offer to help.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/would

Also, when the FBI tell you to report suspicious activity, the only sensible answer is "yes". That doesn't make you an informant.

1 hour ago, Mark Ulrik said:

I think you're misunderstanding "would" in this context. Oxford Learner's Dictionary:

12) would do something   used for talking about things that often happened in the past
SYNONYM   used to

Also, when the FBI tell you to report suspicious activity, the only sensible answer is "yes". That doesn't make you an informant.

LOL. So now you're going to give me a lesson on the English language ? A guy allegedly from Denmark ?

That's all you've got ?

WOULD is the past tense of WILL. He was speaking of a past event.

That Oswald was WILLING or WOULD provide information, makes him an informant.

End of story. 

5 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

LOL. So now you're going to give me a lesson on the English language ? A guy allegedly from Denmark ?

That's all you've got ?

In another thread, you were also confused by the word "effect" and thought it meant the same as "affect".
Perhaps your English is not as good as you think it is.

6 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

That Oswald was WILLING or WOULD provide information, makes him an informant.

Not really.

Oswald rumor with link.This is not the first place that I have read it.

J. Lee Rankin, the Warren Commission’s General Counsel, was told in January 1964 by a reliable source that it was common knowledge among journalists in Texas that Oswald had regularly received $200 per month from the FBI. If Oswald had indeed been secretly employed by a federal agency, the Commission would of course have found it almost impossible to make a convincing case that he had acted alone. Rankin and Earl Warren were determined to silence the rumor.

The matter was discussed at an emergency meeting of the Commission on 22 January 1964. Two days later, Rankin and Warren met officials from Texas, who repeated the FBI rumor and mentioned other rumors about a connection between Oswald and the CIA. According to FBI interviews with one of the officials, Rankin swore them to secrecy. At the next meeting of the Warren Commission, on 27 January, Rankin discussed the FBI rumor but did not mention Oswald’s alleged connection with the CIA.

http://22november1963.org.uk/memo-was-oswald-an-fbi-agent

Edited by Michael Crane

43 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

SYNONYM   used to

Mark, understood and thanks.

I wonder if anyone here could posit a reason why LHO arrested for the August, 09, 1962 New Orleans' "street brawl" with Carlos Bringuier, Oswald, from his cell, requested to speak to an FBI agent, which did send SA John Lester Quigley to speak with Oswald.  Quigley allegedly later burned his notes from that meeting.

And did LHO not specifically request SA John Fain?  

Curious that.  

Oh, OK.  

Maybe the reason Oswald specifically requested Fain was to apologize to him for not previously supplying any information, with the intent to promise (actual or feigned) to do so, if Fain helped effect LHO's release?

Doggone those burned notes.

Additional rumor.

“I think the only reason Oswald's name was not given to the Secret Service was because he was working for the F.B.I.,” Mr. Lane asserted. He cited a Secret Service interview in which Mr. Oswald's New Orleans landlady earlier in 1963 said that an F.B.I. agent had interviewed her about Mr. Oswald “after he had displayed pro‐Castro circulars on the porch.”

Another interview indicated that Mr. Oswald's wife. Marina, reported that he was interviewed by F.B.I. agents in July or August 1962 while they lived in Fort Worth.

Another Secret Service report related that on Dec. 17, 1963, Alonso H. Hudkins, a reporter for The Houston Post, said that he believed Mr. Oswald was being paid $200 a month by the F.B.I. “as an informant in connection with their subversive investigations.” Mr. Hudkins was quoted as saying that Mr. Oswald had F.B.I. informer number “$172.”

The Warren Commission's report, released in September 1964, said that the F.B.I. opened a file on Mr. Oswald in October 1959, when he showed up in the Soviet Union as a Marine Corps veteran and defector, and investigated him intermittently thereafter.

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/05/13/archives/oswald-not-in-1963-millionname-secret-service-file.html

I don't care what the FBI said, as a former police officer, I find it hard to believe that some "nobody", who is arrested for a misdemeanor "disturbing the peace" charge is going to ask to talk to an FBI agent. I find it harder to believe that the FBI would respond to such a request because they have no jurisdiction. And I find it equally hard to believe the "nobody" who requested to talk to the agent would then refuse to answer his questions after he arrived.

It doesn't add up, folks. There's something else going on here.

5 minutes ago, Ron Ege said:

Mark, understood and thanks.

I wonder if anyone here could posit a reason why LHO arrested for the August, 09, 1962 New Orleans' "street brawl" with Carlos Bringuier, Oswald, from his cell, requested to speak to an FBI agent, which did send SA John Lester Quigley to speak with Oswald.  Quigley allegedly later burned his notes from that meeting.

And did LHO not specifically request SA John Fain?  

Curious that.  

Oh, OK.  

Maybe the reason Oswald specifically requested Fain was to apologize to him for not previously supplying any information, with the intent to promise (actual or feigned) to do so, if Fain helped effect LHO's release?

Doggone those burned notes.

I believe Fain was in the Fort Worth Office. He wasn't to my knowledge in New Orleans.

18 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

I believe Fain was in the Fort Worth Office. He wasn't to my knowledge in New Orleans.

Gil, thanks for the correction.

I was going from memory (my bad).

I thought that LHO originally requested a specific agent, thinking it was Fain and that the FBI sent Quigley. 

Again, thank you - but still curious - to request an FBI agent because one is in jail, arrested on a local charge.  That, just perhaps, indicates a symbiotic relationship, no?

It does seem, if one is a former defector to the USSR and upon return to the U. S. is then under FBI surveillance, one would want to minimize any interviews by the bureau, if for nothing else than to avoid those interruptions to one's daily life.

Was Oswald thinking, "Well, even though the bureau asked me to, I've not yet - ever provided any info to the FBI, but maybe I'll request an agent and promise to begin providing same - and then the bureau will help to spring me."  

FBI Agent John Fain's definition of the type of person the FBI considered an informant was corroborated by Agent John Quigley in his testimony. Quigley testified that an "informant" need not be paid and that informants may provide the FBI with information for other reasons.

WC_Vol4_440-quigley.gif

Anyone who provided the FBI with information was considered by them to be an informant. By their own definition, Oswald certainly agreed to become an informant for the FBI. 

In fact, Quigley said that when he checked the files in his office, he found that "we had investigation currently underway with regard to Oswald".

WC_Vol4_438-file.gif

What investigation ? And how was Oswald involved ? Was it an investigation of Oswald himself or was he the informant in an investigation of someone else ?

Quigley was never asked. He WAS asked the name of the agent who handled that investigation and he answered the agent was Milton Kaack. He discussed his "interview" of Oswald with Kaack.

But Agent Kaack was never called to testify. Why not ?

Edited by Gil Jesus

23 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Oswald agreed on two occasions to supply the FBi with information.

The first was during their interview of him on 6/26/62:

WH_Vol17_730-osw-agree-to-inform.gif

The second time was during their interview of him on 8/16/62:

WH_Vol17_733-osw-agreed-to-inform.gif

In addtiton, when the Dallas County Sheriff's Department was searching the Paine residence on the afternoon of 11/22, they recovered a "set of metal file cabinets" with the names and activities of Castro sympathizers.

files-of-cuban-sympathizers.gif

Why would Oswald be interested in Cuban sympathizers if he wasn't spying on them for the FBI ?

Roger Craig said that once arrested, Oswald acted like a man who had "blown his cover", saying "Now everyone will know who I am."

https://gil-jesus.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/craig-blown-cover.mp4

From this it would appear the FBI wanted to know if any foreign networks inside the U.S. would try to make contact with LHO.

In a recent interview, Larry Hancock suggested it was somewhat more the CIAs role to see if LHO would make contact with any foreign network inside the U.S. See 37 to 40 minutes on the below video:

So was it both the FBI and CIA job to investigate to see if LHO was going to make contact with any foreign network inside the U.S.?

I mean if this was the FBIs job, then why would the CIA also be doing this? Surely the CIA should have left this job to the FBI and then the FBI liaison office would make contact with the CIA to inform them if LHO did make contact with any foreign network inside the U.S.

Why would the FBI and CIA independently of one another both be investigating to see if LHO would make contact with any foreign network inside the U.S. ?