The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Kirk- if the SC upholds the Colorado ruling, Trump's candidacy is over, as that would allow lawsuits to be filed in every state to keep him off the ballot. and the SC ruling would make summary judgement of such suits fait accompli.

However the U.S. Supreme Court as currently constituted is corrupt to the point of absurdity, and will likely make a faulty partisan decision that favors Trump.

Yes. Matt. I am  taking that in consideration . But still if the most populous states California, New York, Illinois  kicks Trump off the ballot, Trump could lose by 20 million votes and still win the electoral college!

That's how completely screwed up our system is! We're all just held hostage to these smaller "battleground states."

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Jones: My favorite Sinatra story: he once asked a valet,” what’s the biggest tip you ever got kid?” The kid says 50 bucks. Sinatra says oh yeah well here’s a hundred. Then he asked the kid, who gave you the 50? The kid says, you did.

52 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Danny Jones: My favorite Sinatra story: he once asked a valet,” what’s the biggest tip you ever got kid?” The kid says 50 bucks. Sinatra says oh yeah well here’s a hundred. Then he asked the kid, who gave you the 50? The kid says, you did.

Doug,

I've been listening to this terrific old Sinatra recording all month-- the only time Sinatra ever sang with Bing Crosby.

(From the 1956 film, High Society, which also features Louis Armstrong's band and Grace Kelly in Newport, Rhode Island.)

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

But still if the most populous states California, New York, Illinois  kicks Trump off the ballot, Trump could lose by 20 million votes and still win the electoral college!

That's how completely screwed up our system is! We're all just held hostage to these smaller "battleground states."

Lawsuits will be undertaken in every state to kick Trump off the ballot, not just Blue states; all it will take is one patriotic group in every state to file suit. It would likely be Dems to do such a thing, but not necessarily, as the Colorado lawsuit was filed by a group of Republicans that realized Trump was a traitor.

This is a 4-3 decision. Are you saying that any group within a state could then start a lawsuit and be assured by law to remove Trump from the ballot? . So any podunk state could issue some false claim  by their judiciary to eliminate Joe Biden from the  ballot? Well you know there's no question the  Supreme Court would get actively involved to stop that.

34 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Are you saying that any group within a state could then start a lawsuit and be assured by law to remove Trump from the ballot?

Of course, people can file a lawsuit about anything in this country. Whether it gets heard or not, is an entirely different matter.

35 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

So any podunk state could issue some false claim  by their judiciary to eliminate Joe Biden from the  ballot?

Sure. It wouldn't go anywhere, but sure.

But I think you're not quite getting what I originally posted.

What I'm saying is that if the U.S. Supreme Court doesn't overrule the Colorado ruling, that will not only encourage a lawsuit against Trump on the ballot to happen in every state, but such lawsuit rulings will likely be immediately affirmatively granted, as there could be no appeal, based on the fact the USSC has already ruled on the issue with the Colorado case.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about this; the idea that Trump has not been legally declared an insurrectionist is incorrect, he most certainly has. From the Colorado Supreme Court ruling:

"After permitting President Trump and the Colorado Republican State Central Committee (“CRSCC”; collectively, “Intervenors”) to intervene in the action below, the district court conducted a five-day trial. The court found by clear and convincing evidence that President Trump engaged in insurrection as those terms are used in Section Three. Anderson v. Griswold, No. 23CV32577, ¶¶ 241, 298"

The reality and the law is this: Trump is ineligible to serve as President again because he's been legally determined to have participated in insurrection.

PDF of the decision:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/documents/38112584-ce79-4a11-9671-6a3ad2f97ef3.pdf?itid=lk_inline_manual_4

Yeah, but theoretically a State's judiciary could rule that Joe and Hunter Biden are guilty of high crimes, and remove Biden  from the ballot and if the Supreme Court chooses to not take the case, it's state law!

I'm no expert on State Judiciaries, but I'd guess there are probably 15 states where I wouldn't trust their judgment at all!

I'm getting the legalese behind this now. Because the current Conservative Supreme Court has been citing "originalism" as a pretext for their previous decisions, the 14th amendment ruling is apparently as originalist an interpretation as it gets and so would reveal their overturning of the Colorado decision as being  completely hypocritical. So it might be embarrassing and inconsistent but ultimately so what?

It was also embarrassing and inconsistent in 2001 when a Conservative Supreme Court that was upholding State's Rights in many of their decisions turned against the ruling of the Florida Supreme Court. But they will and have no embarrassment about it. They will do it and not flinch and it will demonstrate just how politically partisan the court is. 

Federally Trump is presumed innocent until proven guilty. That's the legal standard that would effect the Republican and Independent voter preferences that I was talking about earlier. Over time Matt, you've expressed more faith in the legal system than I have. But where we agree  is that Trump would be convicted of a number of these crimes, but the question is, will Trump as President completely disband the Justice Department investigation  before they can convict him?!

The one big exception that he can't effect will be the Georgia ruling. As I was saying, given the smoking gun tape, I was first  counting on this being further along in 3 years than it has gotten.

I thought I might mention this regarding a recent thread on the JFKA side that was, as so often started with Ben. In this example , it was Ben and Jim. I understand there are many people on the forum, who don't want to weigh into politics, but I'm always amazed how ill prepared some people  are there to discuss any kind of current events. Even when it's them who first bring up the topic!----JMO

Kirk- yes, I agree.

I think what we'll likely see is the USSC saying Trump was not availed to complete due process in the 5 day Colorado trial, based on the enormous implications of such a ruling, and the obvious brevity of the proceedings.

While on its face- to you, me and any other honest person, Trump is unquestionably guilty of aiding insurrection, and thus ineligible, it's probably for the best that the most stringent legal process be afforded in this particular case.

I do think all this will accelerate the USSC making a a ruling on the other matter- whether or not Trump is immune from prosecution; he isn't, and I think they will rule that way. That will allow his March trial to happen, and if found guilty there, the 14th Amendment could then safely be used to make him ineligible, no matter how much MAGAs whine about it.

A complete contradiction with Gorsuch's previous rulings! Very cool!

GB0E5jSWMAAFDWj?format=jpg&name=small

The phrase "the Gorsuch case" rang a bell with me. Did any of you guys see the great film "Body Heat" in the 80's?

I loved it! But the case that tarnished lawyer Ned Racine (William Hurt's) past was called the Gorsuch Case.

57 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

A complete contradiction with Gorsuch's previous rulings! Very cool!

GB0E5jSWMAAFDWj?format=jpg&name=small

The phrase "the Gorsuch case" rang a bell with me. Did any of you guys see the great film "Body Heat" in the 80's?

I loved it! But the case that tarnished lawyer Ned Racine (William Hurt's) past was called the Gorsuch Case.

Wow! I loved "Body Heat," especially its ending that almost jolted me out of my seat in the theater but never dreamed it would lead to what you connected here.