The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
The gift that keeps giving.
image.jpeg.935b6674a6afa609179874bebdcfa6e1.jpeg

Kirk,

Your meme reminds me of an old Colorado joke that the "N" on the Nebraska Cornhuskers' football helmets stands for, "Knowledge." 🤪

Geez...  Can't make this stuff up... 🙄

House Republicans Voted to Raise Taxes by $300 Billion

April 29, 2023 at 9:29 am EDT By Taegan Goddard 33 Comments

Wall Street Journal: “The party, united for decades around the view that net tax increases are unacceptable, on Wednesday advanced debt-ceiling legislation that would raise taxes by more than $300 billion over a decade, according to official congressional estimates.”

“The bill, which passed in the GOP-controlled House and won’t survive the Democratic-led Senate, would repeal clean-energy tax credits that Congress created last year. The changes would shrink breaks for wind energy, solar power, hydrogen and electric vehicles, effectively raising taxes on some manufacturers, car buyers and others.”

What's up with all this "Standing" business?

Trump told the Proud Boys to "Stand Back and Stand By".

In a letter to the House of Representatives, Trump's lawyers wrote, "'“DOJ should be ordered to stand down"'

Stand up, sit down. kneel down, stand up...

I feel like I'm 10 years old and back in Church or something.

Steve Thomas

Joseph Mcbride wrote on Facebook today:

My most satisfying experience as a screenwriter was writing, with producer George Stevens Jr., THE AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE SALUTE TO FRED ASTAIRE (1981). In the course of my research I saw all of the approximately 200 musical numbers he did in films and television. Each is different, as he kept setting himself new challenges and triumphantly breaking new ground, which is remarkable. He was a great artist, and the response of the audience in the ballroom to the film clips and Astaire in person was overwhelming. Like other AFI Life Achievement Awards shows I wrote (five in all), the Astaire show came out on laserdisc and VHS but unfortunately has not come out on DVD, I assume because of rights issues involving film clips.
Here are George and I working with Mikhail Baryshnikov on this speech from the AFI show in which he says, "I've been asked to say something about how dancers feel about Fred Astaire. There's no secret -- we hate him." He went on hilariously in that oblique vein before giving his heartfelt tribute. A well-known Hollywood producer told me he considers this "the all-time greatest tribute speech." George and I had Emmy and WGA nominations for that show; all five of our shows had WGA nominations, and the John Huston tribute won, and the Lillian Gish tribute, which was such a nightmarish experience that it made me retire from screenwriting after making sure it went well, also brought us an Emmy nomination.
Those shows, which I considered "film history for the masses," were what made my often exasperating 18 years in that racket worthwhile. It was a rare privilege for a relatively young writer to work with so many legendary stars, directors, and others from the Golden Age and beyond. I did the rehearsing of the speakers and hosts after writing their speeches with or for most of them; once in a rare while a speaker came in with his or her own speech prepared, but most, as George told me on our first show together, needed help: "Joe! These are ACTORS! They need a SCRIPT!!!" The trick was to write the scripts to sound as if the speaker made it all up himself/herself, which meant that most people, including interviewers, didn't realize the shows were written.
Bette Davis was an example of a star who needed a speech written for her; when we asked what she might have to say, she couldn't think of anything, since she hated Capra, so I wrote her a speech telling the audience why he was a great director as well as making jokes about their fraught relationship. When she read it, she said, "Perfect!" Then at the rehearsal she asked me if she could change a few words, and I said, "Sure, you're Bette Davis," and she made some good contributions; if I didn't agree with someone, we'd work it out together. Some contributed more than others to this process when I or George interviewed them. Baryshnikov was an ideal collaborator, since I was able to take his own words from a taped interview with George and weave them into a speech he delivered beautifully, with wit and passion.
May be an image of 3 people

All reactions:
75You and 74 others