The Education Forum

OSWALDS BY PAUL GREGORY

I have just watched this Hoover Institute interview with Paul Gregory regarding his book about the 'Oswalds'.

The father of Paul Gregory spoke fluent Russian, was in the oil industry in Fort Worth, and in the year 1962 he came to know both of the Oswalds in connection with a Russian language group meeting at Fort Worth Public Library and a Dallas Group of Russian speakers who did not get on with the FW group.

My interest begins in 1963 with another group - a class - at UTA led by a US Army instructor, James D. Wilmeth. He has connections to the Oswalds very shortly before the assassination.

Strange enough, the book by Gregory does not mention Wilmeth and his UTA class and vice versa. Yet the Wilmeth group at UTA has FW Star-Telegram coverage which Gregory cites as having alerted him to the return of LHO from the USSR to Texas.

Any sensible comments about this?

I mean, anything documented that is not part of a story cited without references by someone else, somewhere else.

During 1962,  Gregory in FW with a group in Dallas are all interested in LHO because of the Russian language, and the book by Gregory has just been published, why is there no mention of James D. Wilmeth and UTA in 1963, and how come the FW Star Telegram and Wilmeth don't mention the 1962 interests of Gregory in FW and the rival Dallas group in the Russian language?

• 6 months later...

Quote from the book THE OSWALDS by Paul Gregory ( c 2023)about the "interrogation" of Marina in the THE SIX FLAGS motel. Paul Gregory describes the behavior of Marguerite Oswald.

(...)

Eavesdropping  on  Marina’s  interrogations,  Marguerite  grew
increasingly irritated by her answers that incriminated her “hero” son.
She began to berate Marina: she didn’t know anything about Lee; his
mother  knew  much  more.  She  claimed  that  Marina  was  being
compelled to say that Lee was guilty of everything, and Mr. Gregory
was  in  on  it.  According  to  Marguerite,  Marina  had  maintained  for
three days this was not Lee’s rifle and that she planned to live with
“her  Mama”  (Marguerite).  Marina  then  “turned  against  her
Mama  .  .  .  Marina  has  been  changed  to  a  different  personality.”

Kunkel,  Howard,  and  Mr.  Gregory—according  to  Marguerite—were
manipulating Marina to implicate her son.

I must say: The old lady wasn't that wrong. 

Gregory sheds light on the state of the brainwashing of Marina Oswald, while she was in the SIX FLAGS MOTEL  surrounded by agents, quote:

Marina  endured  the  questioning,  answering  as  best  she  could,
heeding Pete’s advice that it was best to tell the truth. Although she
answered most queries, she did not want to admit that she took the
picture  of  Lee  dressed  in  black.  Nor  did  she  want  to  concede  she
knew about Lee’s attempted shooting of General Edwin Walker on

April 10, 1963.

Fazit: Marina is saying: 

I did not took the backyard picture.

I had no knowledge of Lee shooting at Walker

The rifle shown to me (on Saturday November 23th 1963) is not Lee's rifle ... 

Edited by Karl Kinaski

On 4/24/2023 at 8:54 PM, Mervyn Hagger said:

I have just watched this Hoover Institute interview with Paul Gregory regarding his book about the 'Oswalds'.

The father of Paul Gregory spoke fluent Russian, was in the oil industry in Fort Worth, and in the year 1962 he came to know both of the Oswalds in connection with a Russian language group meeting at Fort Worth Public Library and a Dallas Group of Russian speakers who did not get on with the FW group.

My interest begins in 1963 with another group - a class - at UTA led by a US Army instructor, James D. Wilmeth. He has connections to the Oswalds very shortly before the assassination.

Strange enough, the book by Gregory does not mention Wilmeth and his UTA class and vice versa. Yet the Wilmeth group at UTA has FW Star-Telegram coverage which Gregory cites as having alerted him to the return of LHO from the USSR to Texas.

Any sensible comments about this?

I mean, anything documented that is not part of a story cited without references by someone else, somewhere else.

During 1962,  Gregory in FW with a group in Dallas are all interested in LHO because of the Russian language, and the book by Gregory has just been published, why is there no mention of James D. Wilmeth and UTA in 1963, and how come the FW Star Telegram and Wilmeth don't mention the 1962 interests of Gregory in FW and the rival Dallas group in the Russian language?

Thanks for posting.

BTW, Gregory said he was watching television at home in Oklahoma on 11/23, and when he saw LHO on TV, he knew beyond all doubt that LHO was guilty and acted alone. 

I wish I was blessed with divine insight also. 

Gregory states he just kind of froze when he first heard about JFK being shot and then watching Walter Cronkite announce his death on a TV at the University with many other students sitting on the carpeted floor of some room there.

He says when he watched news footage of Oswald in custody he again couldn't share with others his first-hand knowledge of and contact with Lee and his wife.

He also says he watched Jack Ruby blow Oswald's guts out on live national TV...as I did as a 12 year old in Pacific Grove, California back on 11/24/1963.

Curious whether Gregory shared in his book any contemplations at all regards whether Jack Ruby's access into the Dallas PD building parking basement crawling with 70 armed security personnel was anything more than just ineptly lax security luck ...or something more planned or aided?

I sense young hormone pumped Paul Gregory had a serious crush on Marina Oswald when he first started visiting her and Lee ... ostensibly to improve his Russian which he said was not great as a teenager. He became so regularly involved with them he would do more than just practice Russian with Marina, including driving them to stores and other activities. Maybe just some get out of the house cruise arounds?

P. Gregory described Marina as very attractive. Everyone who ever met young Marina was smitten with her attractiveness, especially her blue eyes which Norman Mailer once described as like radiant blue diamonds!

Gregory was also very effected by the incident he witnessed when Marina lost her balance on some front porch steps and went flying and landed hard on her back with baby Junie in her arms. A very traumatic scene.

Where he ( Gregory ) felt great protective concern for Marina in her violent fall, he described Lee Oswald exhibiting the most coldly cruel reaction by actually yelling at Marina for her clumsiness and instead grabbing and holding baby June and comforting only her.

The fact that Paul Gregory made this recollection one of his most importantly remembered and repeated ones tells me it instantly shaped his opinion of Oswald in the most negative ways.  Why that BASTARD!

Here his beautiful crush is laying injured and her husband is cruelly ignoring her and even chastising her at the same time?

Gregory must have hated Lee Oswald with the deepest resentment from that day on.

Ruth Paine hated Lee Oswald as well. "The fact that he used my typewriter without asking offended me deeply!"

Gregory stated the entire Dallas White Russian group hated Lee Oswald as well.

They considered him a brutish and cruelly intolerant husband of this bright-eyed and pretty young Russian princess as well as a no count, ne'er-do-well, Marxist loving loser.

Beautiful Marina deserved so much more.

I've met a handful of native-born Russians in my lifetime of living within a mile or two or even blocks from the Monterey Presidio foreign language school. Called the DLI - Defense Language Institute.

They were all teaching Russian there. I went to school with many of their children, through elementary and high school.

I remember last names like Bogateriev, Ushakov, Hulaniki, Galko, etc. Eva Galko was Ukranian I think. A real beauty.

I didn't go to their homes much. Still, it "seemed" to me however that there was kind of a reserved type energy around the parents. More so than other ethnic parents who taught at the DLI. Maybe I'm wrong.

One neighbor was a lady Russian teacher at DLI. Their child used to play with my two. The grandmother lived with them. She was the fulltime caretaker of their son. That is the Russian way I understand. No outside babysitters.

That woman was bluntly condescending, even arrogant and incredibly class conscious. The only thing that mattered was education and standing.

She would dismiss anyone not of that class as barbarians.

She allowed her grandchild to play with our two children "only" because their mother was well educated and held a higher academic career position - editor.

She barely tolerated me however...a simple-minded yard and grounds tending gardener with no education beyond high school.

I imagine the White Russians in Dallas in 1963 were very much like our Russian born neighbor grandmother. Oswald was a cretin. Pretty and intelligent Marina deserved much, much more.

By the way, the Russian neighbor's grandson is now a PHD who teaches in the sciences at a University level.

Edited by Joe Bauer