The Education Forum

RFK's Influence on Ruby's Nerves, October - November 1963.

2 hours ago, Stu Wexler said:

@Benjamin Cole are you using North's Pearl Street Mafia book?  Or the earlier one?  I think the former deserved much more attention than it got. I still go with Hancock&Boylan, but North's last JFK book is another that gets you into Dallas in Oct and Nov 63--  which to me has become the key separator between theories worth considering and not. They really need to get you into Oswald's orbit, because whether you believe he was a total dupe or you believe he was some kind of lone, hired gun, no group trying to kill JFK is logically going to use Oswald without at least *thinking* they can control his actions. 

Stu

SW---I have not read the Pearl Street book. 

I agree with you, that if LHO is the patsy, you have to have people setting him up, in Dallas.  At a minimum, he had to be duped into going into seclusion at the moment JFK passed by the TSBD.

My take is LHO fired one shot, intentionally missed, at JFK, thinking he was participating in a false flag op. Just IMHO....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Bosco's contempt hearing, "RFK's lead task force attorney, Arnold Stone, read into the record the questions Bosco refused to answer:" Simple, straight forward, did you know John Stone, ever bet with him over the telephone, James Stone, Isadore Miller.  More.  

In conjunction Attorney Stone brought in IRS intelligence unit officers to present surveillance films of the Dallas Mafia's bookmakers.  That same day, bookmaker Albert Meadows was arrested for "violating federal gambling laws."  "as important as subpoenaing Bosco, close associate of Civello for many years."  

"On October 21, the grand jury reconvened.  Later that day, they returned a "16-count indictment for violation of federal gaming statutes" against John Stone, James Stone and Isadore Miller.  They also indicted Meadows.  The four defendants were scheduled for trial."

"Being one of Stone's operatives, Jack Ruby panicked, understanding that he would be next.  Isadore Miller referred him to a doctor, who prescribed Ruby a "drug for nervousness".  15 - source:  Dallas PD, letter to Chief Curry, Jan 15, 1964, Ruby appt. with Dr. Ulvitch.

Pgs. 62-63.

@Benjamin Cole If CM was my client, he would have kept his mouth shut.

John Davis believed LHO ran errands for his uncle when LHO was in New Orleans during summer 1963. After all, he had no $$ and managed to get an apt with no documented income. 

I dont think Marcello was used by intel. I think he used their connections with LHO. Marcello was a very shrewd manipulator.  He was looking for a patsy and LHO was perfect b/c government would be frozen when he was accused.   

But of course, it was hard to figure out where the mob ended and the CIA/exiles began.  

3 hours ago, Stu Wexler said:

@Benjamin Cole are you using North's Pearl Street Mafia book?  Or the earlier one?  I think the former deserved much more attention than it got. I still go with Hancock&Boylan, but North's last JFK book is another that gets you into Dallas in Oct and Nov 63--  which to me has become the key separator between theories worth considering and not. They really need to get you into Oswald's orbit, because whether you believe he was a total dupe or you believe he was some kind of lone, hired gun, no group trying to kill JFK is logically going to use Oswald without at least *thinking* they can control his actions. 

Stu

Hello Stu.  I've never read North's first book, Act of Treason from 1991.  From amazon it's about Hoover having knowledge about Marcello having JFK killed and doing nothing about it.  Review's do note extensive documentation of the FBI and Hoover's methods over the years.  Ben admits in a post below yours he has not read Betrayal in Dallas/LBJ, The Pearl Street Mafia and the Murder of President Kennedy.  Thus, he has no base to evaluate the subject at hand, RFK's DOJ investigation of gambling operations in Dallas 1961-63.  Betrayal doesn't address Oswald at all.  IDK about Treason.

In the late 1980's after reading Contract on America and Mafia Kingfish I thought the mob might have been behind the assassination.  Other information has surfaced over the years which has convinced me personally that was not the case.  I still feel this way but also think exposure of this information is important for the bigger picture historical record.  Thank you so much for your work over the years at MFF, though I wish it was more user friendly (or I was better versed in it's use).  This story get's deep into documents later.

I do believe Ruby was up tight about him, and likely Dave Miller being next to be indicted in October/November 1963.  To the point of needing nerve pills to calm him down.  So he could do whatever was needed, and keep his mouth shut.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, Ron Bulman said:

At Bosco's contempt hearing, "RFK's lead task force attorney, Arnold Stone, read into the record the questions Bosco refused to answer:" Simple, straight forward, did you know John Stone, ever bet with him over the telephone, James Stone, Isadore Miller.  More.  

In conjunction Attorney Stone brought in IRS intelligence unit officers to present surveillance films of the Dallas Mafia's bookmakers.  That same day, bookmaker Albert Meadows was arrested for "violating federal gambling laws."  "as important as subpoenaing Bosco, close associate of Civello for many years."  

"On October 21, the grand jury reconvened.  Later that day, they returned a "16-count indictment for violation of federal gaming statutes" against John Stone, James Stone and Isadore Miller.  They also indicted Meadows.  The four defendants were scheduled for trial."

"Being one of Stone's operatives, Jack Ruby panicked, understanding that he would be next.  Isadore Miller referred him to a doctor, who prescribed Ruby a "drug for nervousness".  15 - source:  Dallas PD, letter to Chief Curry, Jan 15, 1964, Ruby appt. with Dr. Ulvitch.

Pgs. 62-63.

On November 12, 1963 the Defendant's attorneys filed motions for suppression of evidence, the electronic surveillance.  "without which the case would be all but lost".  The task force had 10 days to respond.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, Ron Bulman said:

On November 12, 1963 the Defendant's attorneys filed motions for suppression of evidence, the electronic surveillance.  "without which the case would be all but lost".  The task force had 10 days to respond.

The book does not specifically say if the prosecution responded by November 22, 1963.  I think RFK understandably lost interest.  I wonder if he might have been familiar with the name Jack Ruby when he shot Oswald.  It does seem like there was a concerted effort to keep any mention of it out of the news.  But this was not the end of the story.

The case did not die with JFK.  It was not killed by Judge Hughes until the spring of 1964, though it was already being buried, more later.  The Warren Omission was aware of the investigation.  Yet they concluded Ruby had no significant ties to organized crime.  Or the FBI (proven now).  Or the CIA, gun running, getting Trafficante out of Cuba?

I was really surprised to come across some of the details mentioned in this thread, and the book Betrayal In Dallas by Mark North, discussed in Coup In Dallas by H. P Albarelli et al.  Pgs. 339-342.

I read this book over the memorial day weekend. it is not very good. he makes alot of unsubstantiated statements and assumptions as to what people thought. And dying all the heart attacks to external events is really absurd. His first book was much better. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

I read this book over the memorial day weekend. it is not very good. he makes alot of unsubstantiated statements and assumptions as to what people thought. And dying all the heart attacks to external events is really absurd. His first book was much better. 

Heart attacks, what people thought?  I don't know what you are talking about.  The book is wrong in its conclusions imho that the mob and lbj orchestrated the assassination of JFK.  It is very valuable for its documentation and information in terms of the bigger picture/search for the Truth.  

More details you have read forthcoming.

Catching up.  Pg. 102.  I question North's lack of a source on this.  Sandwiched in between Ruby's WC testimony and what will follow.

"The commissioners knew about Ruby's status as a bookmaker in the Stone operation and understood his role in silencing Oswald."

It's entirely conceivable, RFK's DOJ investigation and prosecution was by then public knowledge in the Dallas press and somewhat nationally.  Proof that those on the WC knew would be valuable.

This happened in June 1964. "By then, the John Eli Stone prosecution had resumed in Dallas."  RFk's IRS prosecutor Arnold Stone "had lost control . . . to Barefoot Sanders" but had forestalled a dismissal of the case.  However, "on the morning of the eighth" Judge Sarah Hughes "eviscerated the governments primary case by ruling the wiretap evidence inadmissible."

"On June 10, Hoover issued a fraudulent position statement to the Warren Commission, categorically denying the existence of the Stone prosecution and any connection between Ruby and Isadore Miller.  The commission, although knowing the statement to be false, published it to prop up their conclusion of no conspiracy."

Regarding the last part of the above post, see Warren Commission Exhibit 1754.

Warren Commission Hearings, Volume XXIII (maryferrell.org)

So, aspects of the investigation were acknowledged by the WC, but Hoover lied to them, and they accepted it.

Edited by Ron Bulman

I am one of those who believe Carlos Marcello was behind the assassination. that being said, this book is awful in terms of lack of sourcing, claims that people like LBJ, Dulles, Hoover among others died from hear attacks because of developments in the case. really absurd assumptions. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

I am one of those who believe Carlos Marcello was behind the assassination. that being said, this book is awful in terms of lack of sourcing, claims that people like LBJ, Dulles, Hoover among others died from hear attacks because of developments in the case. really absurd assumptions. 

Lawrence, this book concludes Marcello and LBJ colluded on the JFKA.  Which I don't.  No one died of hear attacks.

Edited by Ron Bulman

"The Stone trial came to a close on September 21, 1964, with the conviction of the Stone Brothers on only minor charges.  Isadore Miller's trial was avoided until after the presidential election. 

The Stone brothers were sentenced on September 24 to nominal fines and probation.  Judge Hughes told the defendants. "I don't think you have injured anybody else.  . . .  Youd didn't make anybody gamble.  They gambled of their own accord.  [But] Congress has seen fit to pass a law making the things you have engaged in a crime."

"Something else happened that day.  The members of the Warren Commission signed and submitted their final report to Lyndon Johnson."

Pgs. 104 - 105.