The Education Forum

Some Simple Questions About the Single-Bullet Theory

The most popular version of the single-bullet theory (SBT) among WC apologists says that Governor John Connally was hit at Z224, based mainly on the fact that his lapel appears to flip up in Z224. If so, then JFK must have been hit by the SBT bullet no earlier or later than Z223-224. Even allowing for a reduced speed for the bullet of around 1400 fps, the bullet would have reached Connally's lapel only 2 milliseconds after striking JFK. Thus, this SBT scenario actually requires a simultaneous strike on JFK and Connally at Z224. However, to be as generous as possible to the SBT, we will say Z223-224. Based on the Zapruder film, here are some questions that must be answered by those who posit this scenario:

1. How could JFK have been hit with the alleged magic bullet at Z223-224 when Jackie is already staring intently at him when she reemerges from behind the freeway sign in Z221? Does not her Z221 reaction clearly and obviously prove that JFK began reacting many frames before Z221?

2. If JFK was not hit until Z223-224, why does he have his right forearm bent inward and his right hand in front of his mouth in Z206, just before he disappears behind the freeway sign? Is this not a clear, obvious indication that he was already reacting to being wounded, just as the HSCA Photographic Evidence Panel (PEP) noted? 

3. If JFK was not hit until Z223-224, how is it that in Z224, JFK has already brought his left hand inward and has it just below and in front of his throat? Is this not a clear, obvious continuation of the reaching-at-throat reaction he began by no later than Z206? 

4. Is it not much more likely, if not certain, that the Z224 Connally lapel flip was caused by the wind that was gusting in Dealey Plaza and not by a bullet, given the fact that the bullet exited Connally's chest at a point several inches away from the point of the lapel flip, and given the fact that Dr. Lattimer's own experiment proved that if a bullet had hit Connally at Z224 it would have produced a number of other visible results, none of which are seen in Z224-233? Here is a good article by Dr. Cyril Wecht and Wallace Milam that refutes the claim that the lapel flip was caused by the SBT bullet:

The Great Lapel Flip

Here is an article by Jeremy Bojczuk that also refutes the SBT-lapel-flip claim:

What Caused Connally's Lapel Flap? : The JFK Assassination (22november1963.org.uk)

Veteran researcher David Wimp argues that the lapel flip is an optical illusion created by reflected light:

The "Lapel Flip" as Reflected Light

5. If Connally was hit at Z224, why is his right shoulder not slammed downward until Z238? Connally said the bullet's impact felt like someone punched him hard in the back. He also insisted that he was not hit before Z231, and he chose Z234 as the moment he was shot. Does not the Zapruder film powerfully confirm Z234 as the frame of the bullet strike, given the fact that his right shoulder is slammed downward just four frames later, i.e., just 218 milliseconds or 4/16ths of a second later?

I will conclude by quoting from the HSCA PEP's finding that JFK was hit before he disappears behind the freeway sign, i.e., at least 17 frames before Z224:

At approximately Zapruder frame 200, Kennedy’s movements suddenly freeze; his right hand abruptly stops in the midst of a waving motion and his head moves rapidly from right to his left in the direction of his wife. Based on these movements, it appears that by the time the President goes behind the sign at frame 207 he is evidencing some kind of reaction to a severe external stimulus. (6 HSCA 17)

The PEP correctly and convincingly concluded that this shot was fired at or just before Z190.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

The most popular version of the single-bullet theory (SBT) among WC apologists says that Governor John Connally was hit at Z224, based mainly on the fact that his lapel appears to flip up in Z224. If so, then JFK must have been hit by the SBT bullet no earlier or later than Z223-224. Even allowing for a reduced speed for the bullet of around 1400 fps, the bullet would have reached Connally's lapel only 2 milliseconds after striking JFK. Thus, this SBT scenario actually requires a simultaneous strike on JFK and Connally at Z224. However, to be as generous as possible to the SBT, we will say Z223-224. Based on the Zapruder film, here are some questions that must be answered by those who posit this scenario:

1. How could JFK have been hit with the alleged magic bullet at Z223-224 when Jackie is already staring intently at him when she reemerges from behind the freeway sign in Z221? Does not her Z221 reaction clearly and obviously prove that JFK began reacting many frames before Z221?

2. If JFK was not hit until Z223-224, why does he have his right forearm bent inward and his right hand in front of his mouth in Z206, just before he disappears behind the freeway sign? Is this not a clear, obvious indication that he was already reacting to being wounded, just as the HSCA Photographic Evidence Panel (PEP) noted? 

3. If JFK was not hit until Z223-224, how is it that in Z224, JFK has already brought his left hand inward and has it just below and in front of his throat? Is this not a clear, obvious continuation of the reaching-at-throat reaction he began by no later than Z206? 

4. Is it not much more likely, if not certain, that the Z224 Connally lapel flip was caused by the wind that was gusting in Dealey Plaza and not by a bullet, given the fact that the bullet exited Connally's chest at a point several inches away from the point of the lapel flip, and given the fact that Dr. Lattimer's own experiment proved that if a bullet had hit Connally at Z224 it would have produced a number of other visible results, none of which are seen in Z224-233? Here is a good article by Dr. Cyril Wecht and Wallace Milam that refutes the claim that the lapel flip was caused by the SBT bullet:

The Great Lapel Flip

Here is an article by Jeremy Bojczuk that also refutes the SBT-lapel-flip claim:

What Caused Connally's Lapel Flap? : The JFK Assassination (22november1963.org.uk)

Veteran researcher David Wimp argues that the lapel flip is an optical illusion created by reflected light:

The "Lapel Flip" as Reflected Light

5. If Connally was hit at Z224, why is his right shoulder not slammed downward until Z238? Connally said the bullet's impact felt like someone punched him hard in the back. He also insisted that he was not hit before Z231, and he chose Z234 as the moment he was shot. Does not the Zapruder film powerfully confirm Z234 as the frame of the bullet strike, given the fact that his right shoulder is slammed downward just four frames later, i.e., just 218 milliseconds or 4/16ths of a second later?

I will conclude by quoting from the HSCA PEP's finding that JFK was hit before he disappears behind the freeway sign, i.e., at least 17 frames before Z224:

At approximately Zapruder frame 200, Kennedy’s movements suddenly freeze; his right hand abruptly stops in the midst of a waving motion and his head moves rapidly from right to his left in the direction of his wife. Based on these movements, it appears that by the time the President goes behind the sign at frame 207 he is evidencing some kind of reaction to a severe external stimulus. (6 HSCA 17)

The PEP correctly and convincingly concluded that this shot was fired at or just before Z190.

MG-

I disagree with the your timing of the JFK-JBC shots, but agree that separate shots struck JFK and JBC. 

One fact is beyond dispute: The bullet that struck JBC was not tumbling. 

17 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

MG-

I disagree with the your timing of the JFK-JBC shots, but agree that separate shots struck JFK and JBC. 

One fact is beyond dispute: The bullet that struck JBC was not tumbling. 

I think Jackie's reaction is irrefutable proof that JFK was hit many frames before Z223-224. The fact that she is already staring at him in Z221 can only mean that his reaction had already begun and that she had already noticed it. She starts to turn her head to the right at around Z193, and by Z204 she is already looking intently at JFK, and she is still looking at him in Z221 when she comes back into view from behind the road sign. 

Willis slide 5 provides impressive evidence that the shot that caused JFK's pre-Z221 reaction was fired at or before Z190. Willis said he snapped the photo in a startle reaction to the sound of a shot. As many experts have noted, Willis slide 5 corresponds to Z202, which means that the shot that startled Willis was fired at or just before Z190. It would have taken Willis 12-16 frames to process the sound, become startled, and click his camera to take the picture. (And, of course, this shot was fired while the sixth-floor gunman's view of JFK would have been obstructed by the oak tree.)

I also find it very impressive that there is a strong blur episode that starts at Z189 and ends eight frames later. I might add that this blur episode is even stronger than the one that starts at Z312, i.e., the blur episode for the head shot. 

Yes, I agree that the bullet that hit Connally was not tumbling. The size and shape of his back wound argue strongly against the tumbling theory, as do the rear holes in his shirt and coat.

Edited by Michael Griffith

5 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

I think Jackie's reaction is irrefutable proof that JFK was hit many frames before Z223-224. The fact that she is already staring at him in Z221 can only mean that his reaction had already begun and that she had already noticed it. She starts to turn her head to the right at around Z193, and by Z204 she is already looking intently at JFK, and she is still looking at him in Z221 when she comes back into view from behind the road sign. 

Willis slide 5 provides impressive evidence that the shot that caused JFK's pre-Z221 reaction was fired at or before Z190. Willis said he snapped the photo in a startle reaction to the sound of a shot. As many experts have noted, Willis slide 5 corresponds to Z202, which means that the shot that startled Willis was fired at or just before Z190. It would have taken Willis 12-16 frames to process the sound, become startled, and click his camera to take the picture. (And, of course, this shot was fired while the sixth-floor gunman's view of JFK would have been obstructed by the oak tree.)

I also find it very impressive that there is a strong blur episode that starts at Z189 and ends eight frames later. I might add that this blur episode is even stronger than the one that starts at Z312, i.e., the blur episode for the head shot. 

Yes, I agree that the bullet that hit Connally was not tumbling. The size and shape of his back wound argue strongly against the tumbling theory, as do the rear holes in his shirt and coat.

JBC's testimony, and the many witnesses who heard "bang....bang-bang" lines up more with JBC being shot at ~Z295, followed by the Z313 shot. 

I think you are correct on the timing of the first audible shot. (We both should remember there may have been other shots using silencers or even a pneumatic gun, or nearly simultaneous shots heard as one shot).  

In testimony before the WC, HSCA, and media, JBC's describes hearing the first shot, then turning around over his own right shoulder to have a look, failing to see anything, and then turning forward to try to look over his own left shoulder, when then he was struck and "pushed forward." That happens ~Z295.

JBC, an experienced hunter, also described bullets as entering the cab of the limo as if from automatic weapons fire. 

I have trouble with your timing of shots, especially as it has JBC doing a 180-degree turn in his seat after being shot through the chest, an event he described (believably) as immediately incapacitating. 

Anyway IMHO....

6 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Mrs Kennedy said she first looked at Connally roaring before she then looked at her husband at which time she noticed something was up with him, he had a "quizzical" look on his face, he had been shot.

Was Connally roaring before he went behind the Stemmons sign?

14 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Mrs Kennedy said she first looked at Connally roaring before she then looked at her husband at which time she noticed something was up with him, he had a "quizzical" look on his face, he had been shot. Was Connally roaring before he went behind the Stemmons sign?

Are you really making this argument? Really? Seriously? I know you are determined to see the emperor's new clothes, but this is a new level of silliness. 

Do you deny that by Z204, Jackie has clearly turned her head to the right and is looking at JFK? Do you deny that in Z221 she is still staring intently at JFK?

Researchers have long recognized that Jackie was totally, abjectly, thoroughly confused about the timing of events in the limousine during the shooting. The first time I read her testimony, I realized it was worthless as far as the shooting sequence was concerned.

To give the reader some idea of just how confused Jackie was, if we were to believe her WC testimony, we would not only have to believe that she did not start to turn to the right until after she heard Connally say "no, no, no," but we would also have to believe that by the time she turned to look at JFK, he had already been hit in the head because she saw a piece of his skull "just as" she turned and looked at him! She said,

And just as I turned and looked at him, I could see a piece of his skull and I remember it was flesh colored. (5 H 180)

Obviously, she severely truncated and jumbled the shooting sequence and omitted most of it in the process. Her testimony is one clear case where the Zapruder film is more reliable than the person's memory.

1 hour ago, Michael Griffith said:

Are you really making this argument? Really? Seriously? I know you are determined to see the emperor's new clothes, but this is a new level of silliness. 

Do you deny that by Z204, Jackie has clearly turned her head to the right and is looking at JFK? Do you deny that in Z221 she is still staring intently at JFK?

Researchers have long recognized that Jackie was totally, abjectly, thoroughly confused about the timing of events in the limousine during the shooting. The first time I read her testimony, I realized it was worthless as far as the shooting sequence was concerned.

To give the reader some idea of just how confused Jackie was, if we were to believe her WC testimony, we would not only have to believe that she did not start turn to the right until after she heard Connally say "no, no, no," but we would also have to believe that by the time she turned to look at JFK, he had already been hit in the head because she saw a piece of his skull "just as" she turned and looked at him! She said,

And just as I turned and looked at him, I could see a piece of his skull and I remember it was flesh colored. (5 H 180)

Obviously, she severely truncated and jumbled the shooting sequence and omitted most of it in the process. Her testimony is one clear case where the Zapruder film is more reliable than the person's memory.

So the witness was confused. That's handy.

You can't say she's looking at jfk before they go behind the sign. The girls on the north elm sidewalk, I think Woodward was one of them, said they shouted to get the attention of the occupants of the limousine. Jackie may simply have been looking in their direction as a result of the shouting. Additionally, as per the towner footage and croft photo, she had been looking to her left for some time so by the time she got on elm street it was a natural time to change to looking to her right for a while.

She was obviously still looking off to her right at the crowd when at z224 she heard a loud noise and was attracted to Connally screaming as a result of that shot. Then see looked at jfk and realized something was up with him too and reaches to him to help him.

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

So the witness was confused. That's handy.

You can't say she's looking at jfk before they go behind the sign. The girls on the north elm sidewalk, I think Woodward was one of them, said they shouted to get the attention of the occupants of the limousine. Jackie may simply have been looking in their direction as a result of the shouting. Additionally, as per the towner footage and croft photo, she had been looking to her left for some time so by the time she got on elm street it was a natural time to change to looking to her right for a while.

She was obviously still looking off to her right at the crowd when at z224 she heard a loud noise and was attracted to Connally screaming as a result of that shot. Then see looked at jfk and realized something was up with him too and reaches to him to help him.

Oh my goodness. Well, you know, no one can stop you from floating such abject nonsense, even though Jackie is plainly and clearly looking straight at JFK in Z204 and is still doing so, even more obviously, in Z221. She is not looking off beyond the right side of the limo--she is looking straight at JFK, and she is still staring straight at him in Z221. But you cannot bring yourself to admit this self-evident fact because it destroys the SBT.

Moreover, Jackie's head seems to be locked into the same position from Z204 through Z226--naturally, since she is fixated on her husband and trying to figure out what is wrong.  

And, just on a point of logic, given the loud noises being made by the police motorcycles alone, not to mention by other bystanders, it is doubtful that Jackie even heard the girls on the North Elm sidewalk. However, if she had turned her to head in response to their calling her name, one would logically expect that she would have waved to them or at least smiled at them. And, one would not logically expect her head to freeze in the same position from Z204 through Z226 if she had merely turned to look at some girls who were calling to her.

Anyone with two functioning eyes can see that Jackie's attention is fixated on JFK by Z204. It is just a matter of being willing to admit it.

1 hour ago, Michael Griffith said:

Oh my goodness. Well, you know, no one can stop you from floating such abject nonsense, even though Jackie is plainly and clearly looking straight at JFK in Z204 and is still doing so, even more obviously, in Z221. She is not looking off beyond the right side of the limo--she is looking straight at JFK, and she is still staring straight at him in Z221. But you cannot bring yourself to admit this self-evident fact because it destroys the SBT.

Moreover, Jackie's head seems to be locked into the same position from Z204 through Z226--naturally, since she is fixated on her husband and trying to figure out what is wrong.  

And, just on a point of logic, given the loud noises being made by the police motorcycles alone, not to mention by other bystanders, it is doubtful that Jackie even heard the girls on the North Elm sidewalk. However, if she had turned her to head in response to their calling her name, one would logically expect that she would have waved to them or at least smiled at them. And, one would not logically expect her head to freeze in the same position from Z204 through Z226 if she had merely turned to look at some girls who were calling to her.

Anyone with two functioning eyes can see that Jackie's attention is fixated on JFK by Z204. It is just a matter of being willing to admit it.

Jackie's testimony is devastating to the theory that jfk was shot before he went behind the sign because she was looking in his general vicinity and saw nothing wrong with jfk at that time. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

Jackie's testimony is devastating to the theory that jfk was shot before he went behind the sign because she was looking in his general vicinity and saw nothing wrong with jfk at that time. 

I think you have it backwards. Jackie's turn to JFK as they went behind the sign--and the probability this came as a result of his being shot--has long been considered extremely problematic for the single-bullet theory, and thus the single-assassin solution. Is it a coincidence that these frames disappeared when Life cut up the Z-film? Is it a coincidence Dale Myers chose to leave Jackie's movements out of his cartoon? Maybe. Maybe not. But you won't find Jackie's head turn discussed in any pro-LN material. It is simply not discussed. 

image.png.0b60ad24da6e3122d8c6747524a80a83.png

As far as her recollections... We can not see Jackie's eyes, so it's entirely possible she started to look at her husband but saw JBC moving in his seat and then receiving a bullet and only then began to focus on her husband and realize he'd previously been shot. 

Edited by Pat Speer

JBC's statements of the shooting are evident.  JBC states about the moment he was hit, that the shot doubled him over and he saw blood and then nellie pulled him into her lap.  The only place that happens on the zapruder film is directly after frame 313 and no where else.  What doesn't add up, however, is that JBC said he heard another shot and then he saw the brain tissue.  Since 313 Had already occurred, the only way this could happen would be another headshot  directly after.

14 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

I think you have it backwards. Jackie's turn to JFK as they went behind the sign--and the probability this came as a result of his being shot--has long been considered extremely problematic for the single-bullet theory, and thus the single-assassin solution. Is it a coincidence that these frames disappeared when Life cut up the Z-film? Is it a coincidence Dale Myers chose to leave Jackie's movements out of his cartoon? Maybe. Maybe not. But you won't find Jackie's head turn discussed in any pro-LN material. It is simply not discussed. 

image.png.0b60ad24da6e3122d8c6747524a80a83.png

As far as her recollections... We can not see Jackie's eyes, so it's entirely possible she started to look at her husband but saw JBC moving in his seat and then receiving a bullet and only then began to focus on her husband and realize he'd previously been shot. 

Frame 198 shows jfk turned unusually sharp to his right. This is circumstantial evidence one of the girls on the sidewalk have called out to get their attention and both jfk and Jackie then look in their direction. 

Did jfk injure his neck/spine making such a sharp turn to his right resulting in the perceived unusual motion jfk then makes just before going behind the sign? Highly speculative but couldn't be ruled out.

Is there any anecdotal evidence of jfk injuring himself while turning far to his left or right side?

5 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Frame 198 shows jfk turned unusually sharp to his right. This is circumstantial evidence one of the girls on the sidewalk have called out to get their attention and both jfk and Jackie then look in their direction. 

Did jfk injure his neck/spine making such a sharp turn to his right resulting in the perceived unusual motion jfk then makes just before going behind the sign? Highly speculative but couldn't be ruled out.

Is there any anecdotal evidence of jfk injuring himself while turning far to his left or right side?

Where the heck are you going with your takes? 

Your concern is him taking sharpe turns with his back history? I've yet to see a film in the Dallas parade where JFK was making "sharpe turns."  Didn't seem to be a problem in past motorcade rides.