The Education Forum

The Many Paths of JEAN PIERRE LAFITTE Part 2

Thank you very much Peter.  I can read everything on this one.  As Paul and David said on par 1, welcome to the forum.  If you don't mind, I may try to print this to see how it comes out that way, for personal use.  I'd like to fold it in half and keep where it appears in Coup for reference.

I notice that Sidney Gottlieb is listed with the FBI group on this chart.

But, according to Stephen Kinzer, Gottlieb's Operation MK-Ultra was managed by Richard Helms and the CIA, and also closely associated with Fort Dietrick.

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I notice that Sidney Gottlieb is listed with the FBI group on this chart.

But, according to Stephen Kinzer, Gottlieb's Operation MK-Ultra was managed by Richard Helms and the CIA, and also closely associated with Fort Dietrick.

@W. Niederhut  Gottlieb worked with both (or more) three letter agencies. Pete drew from the narrative in Coup so his charts reflect the propinquity as indicated in Hank's research.

It's interesting you mention Kinzer's book.  He conferred with Hank off an on, and I believe Hank provided him with his original research.  He did same with Erroll Morris, although more extensive.  Morris and a crew spent several days in Florida (according to private conversation with Hank) combing through Hank's files; Hank assumed his generosity would be acknowledged of course, but more significantly he assumed Morris would advance public understanding of what actually happened to Frank Olson and who was responsible for his death in his documentary "Wormwood."  If you've watched the documentary, you'll know that simply isn't the case. In fact, Sy Hersh refuses to name his sources, and never identifies the actual killer(s), After Hank realized the vacuous nature of the project, he set out to author a book titled, "Wormwood Exposed."  It sits in draft form somewhere.

I can't address the discrepancy you find in Kinzer's work; I consider "A Terrible Mistake" the definitive investigation into Olson's murder and the broader operation behind it.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

55 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

Some of our best evidence as far identifying suspects points to Carlos Marcello as a major player in the plot. It is odd that he is not mentioned in the datebook.

Agree, @Michael Griffithand no one was more surprised than Albarelli that Carlos, Banister and Ferrie did not surface in Lafitte records; we all agree that the absence of names in the datebook does not exonerate anyone.  We've since identified one datebook entry that COULD refer to Marcello, the letter M, related to Oswald and bank, but the prime candidate remains Marina as she is in New Orleans at the time of the entry.

William Dalzell entries may be veiled references to Marcello's mob fronts, specifically Nick Popich who was the front for Marcello's restaurant Vieux Carre. (a young Moo Moo Sciambra was bouncer.) Dalzell and Popich had been pursuing an oil drilling scheme in Ethiopia for years, and one document indicates they were running guns using Popich's marine dev. company. Popich played host to Bobby Baker, his girlfriend Carol Tyler, Ellen Rometsch, and Puerto Rican developer Paul Aguirre in May 1963.  It's clear that Lafitte becomes involved in their trip and that he assumes a role in the set up of JFK with the Rometsch "affair."

We also know that Guy Banister was FBI Chicago at the same time Pierre Lafitte was a key witnesses in what was at the time Chicago's largest mob trial to date. It's impossible to believe Banister didn't know Lafitte in Chicago; it's possible Bannister had been involved in Lafitte's role in bringing down the criminals in that case.  More research is required.  We do know from the testimony that Lafitte maintained an address in NOLA in the early 1950's.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

@W. Niederhut  Gottlieb worked with both (or more) three letter agencies. Pete drew from the narrative in Coup so his charts reflect the propinquity as indicated in Hank's research.

It's interesting you mention Kinzer's book.  He conferred with Hank off an on for quite some time, and I believe Hank provided him with his original research.  He did same with Erroll Morris, although more extensive.  Morris and a crew spent several days in Florida combing through Hank's files; Hank assumed his generosity would be acknowledged of course, but more significantly he assumed Morris would advance public understanding of what actually happened to Frank Olson and who was responsible for his death in his documentary "Wormwood."  If you've watched the documentary, you'll know that simply isn't the case. In fact, Sy Hersh refuses to name his sources, and never identifies the actual killer(s), After Hank realized the vacuous nature of the project, he set out to author a book titled, "Wormwood Exposed."  It sits in draft form somewhere.

I can't address the discrepancy you find in Kinzer's work; I consider "A Terrible Mistake" the definitive investigation into Olson's murder and the broader operation behind it.

Leslie,

I watched Erroll Morris's Wormwood documentary with great interest a few years ago, and I thought the conclusion was that two CIA-affiliated hit men had thrown Frank Olson out of the window.   I do vaguely recall Sy Hersh refusing to name his sources.

9 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

I watched Erroll Morris's Wormwood documentary with great interest a few years ago, and I thought the conclusion was that two CIA-affiliated hit men had thrown Frank Olson out of the window.   I do vaguely recall Sy Hersh refusing to name his sources.

As far as I know, Morris didn't name them.  Could you say, having watched it, who precisely were the hit men that threw Olson out of the window? By name(s)? Did you know Hank's imprint was on Morris's project by what you watched? Sy Hersh's was, and he got a pass for not identifying the perps because he "didn't reveal his sources."

Frank's son was the primary character in the documentary, driving the narrative; he was not happy with Hank toward the end of Hank's project so I think that was a factor in the final doc.

I remembered that Trine Day had already issued a blurb for Wormwood Exposed.

Wormwood Exposed
The Truth about Frank Olson and Other Terrible Mistakes
By H. P. Albarelli, Jr. · 2020
Producer and director of Netflix's Wormwood, Errol Morris, invited H.P. Albarelli Jr., an expert on the mysterious case of biochemist Frank Olson's murder, to come meet with he and his staff for a full day. Albarelli answered endless questions and reviewed his voluminous files on the case. When Morris's series aired, the production gave Albarelli absolutely no credit for his numerous exclusive findings. Following nearly a decade of research, this account, the contents of which informed Wormwood, solves the mysterious death of Olson, revealing the identities of his murderers in shocking detail. It offers a unique and unprecedented look into the backgrounds of many former CIA, FBI, and Federal Narcotics Bureau officials--including several who actually oversaw the CIA's mind-control programs from the 1950s to the 1970s. In retracing these programs, this volume illuminates a world dominated by Cold War fears, the secret relationship between the nation's drug enforcement agencies and the CIA, and the government's close collaboration with the Mafia.
Source: Publisher

Edited by Leslie Sharp

19 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

As far as I know, Morris didn't name them.  Could you say, having watched it, who precisely were the hit men that threw Olson out of the window? By name(s)? Did you know Hank's imprint was on Morris's project by what you watched? Sy Hersh's was, and he got a pass for not identifying the perps because he "didn't reveal his sources."

Frank's son was the primary character in the documentary, driving the narrative; he was not happy with Hank toward the end of Hank's project so I think that was a factor in the final doc.

I remembered that Trine Day had already issued a blurb for Wormwood Exposed.

Wormwood Exposed
The Truth about Frank Olson and Other Terrible Mistakes
By H. P. Albarelli, Jr. · 2020
Producer and director of Netflix's Wormwood, Errol Morris, invited H.P. Albarelli Jr., an expert on the mysterious case of biochemist Frank Olson's murder, to come meet with he and his staff for a full day. Albarelli answered endless questions and reviewed his voluminous files on the case. When Morris's series aired, the production gave Albarelli absolutely no credit for his numerous exclusive findings. Following nearly a decade of research, this account, the contents of which informed Wormwood, solves the mysterious death of Olson, revealing the identities of his murderers in shocking detail. It offers a unique and unprecedented look into the backgrounds of many former CIA, FBI, and Federal Narcotics Bureau officials--including several who actually oversaw the CIA's mind-control programs from the 1950s to the 1970s. In retracing these programs, this volume illuminates a world dominated by Cold War fears, the secret relationship between the nation's drug enforcement agencies and the CIA, and the government's close collaboration with the Mafia.
Source: Publisher

Very interesting, Leslie.  I had no idea that Albarelli consulted on Wormwood, and had detailed knowledge about Frank Olson's killers.

If I recall correctly, the film did not identify the killers, but did claim that the CIA had thrown Olson out of the window.

32 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Very interesting, Leslie.  I had no idea that Albarelli consulted on Wormwood, and had detailed knowledge about Frank Olson's killers.

If I recall correctly, the film did not identify the killers, but did claim that the CIA had thrown Olson out of the window.

Cowards.  🙂

A Terrible Mistake lays it out, with names.

(And no, I'm not on commission with Hank's estate.)

Edited by Leslie Sharp

9 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

and Spirito. 

Have you not read ATM?

As a side note, the Manager of the Statler Hilton hit it off with Hank.  During one interview, he mentioned an old girl friend in Vermont.  Turns out she was Hank's aunt.

Another bizarre coincidence: he was discussing the Olson investigation and mentioned he had interviewed a significant source in DC. I thought nothing of it at first.  Later, I was describing my dear friend Judith Lawson (RIP) who was the first woman to attempt to solo the Atlantic, and that she had studied at Georgetown — Foreign Service; while enrolled, she lived in the carriage house of Eleanor Dulles in Georgetown.  Hank calmly said, I know that carriage house because that's where my source lived. I pulled up and realized 'hey, this is Eleanor Dulles' address.'
I'm compelled to pay tribute to Judith here. I think Hank would be fine with it.
https://sailingwithzest.me/2017/05/06/fair-winds-judith/

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/skippers-dame-naomi-james-of-new-zealand-us-judith-lawson-news-photo/101876164?et=BidBIGEvQwNncw-B5KE76A&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fsailingwithzest.me%2F

Edited by Leslie Sharp

Well, this is just weird.  I ordered A Terrible Mistake this morning about 8:30.   I ordered it as much for the chapters on Pierre Laffite and George Hunter White as I did the subject, Frank Olson.  I'd read the 30 pages on him in Poisoner in Chief and seen Wormwood but thought I might learn more from it and given the other subjects and it being Nine Hundred pages.  I could swear I've read a little more on both Olson and White but can't remember where at the moment.  As I've just read Coup, any more info on Laffite will be interesting.

I've had A Secret Order for several years.  In particular the chapter on Adele Edisen is wild, it seems credible but at the same time incredible.  The Chapter on David Sanchez Morales was enlightening.

I know Hank has children and grandchildren who should receive royalties.  Surviving on social security and less than a thousand bucks a month from TRS I (thought I was going to buy) a used copy.  They listed one for $10.84, I clicked.  $5.99 shipping.  The one below it on a list said 11.00 plus 3.99, it also said new copy in the comments.  It showed the seller was Suppressed Books, click for more info.  Will be shipped from Trine Day.  What, that's the publisher!  IDK, maybe the family will still bet a buck or two after all, as opposed to what they may get from a "New" $30.00 plus shipping.  My copy of Coup is of course new.

Still weird that it's being talked about today here after I bought it this morning.  What was Hank's saying, high synchronicity and ???

Further, I received an e-mail at 2:10 this afternoon that it had already shipped, which surprised me as this can often take 2-3 days.