The Education Forum

1964 Memorandum from John McCone, Director, CIA re: Oswald

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douglas, Cory has already posted a link which gives the history of the debunking of the memo:

https://steemit.com/news/@garrickalder/garrick-alder-mccone-rowley-fake-memo-lee-harvey-oswald-published-02-july-2018

As it happens, when the purported memo first came forward I and Stu Wexler and well as others independently approached the National Archives and were advised that the claim that it was a true document, taken from official records was false.  Others on the forum did the same, all of this was discussed as far back as 2006.  I did a quick search on the forum and cannot come up with links to any discussion from that time, someone else may do better on that.

The only place I've seen the document brought up as being real in recent years is within UFO lore relating to the Majestic 12 documents, yet another set of hoaxed material relating to UFOs and a massive government conspiracy (connecting UFOs to JFK's murder).

Of course anyone wanting to believe the memo is free to do so....  

The point

10 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Douglas, Cory has already posted a link which gives the history of the debunking of the memo:

https://steemit.com/news/@garrickalder/garrick-alder-mccone-rowley-fake-memo-lee-harvey-oswald-published-02-july-2018

As it happens, when the purported memo first came forward I and Stu Wexler and well as others independently approached the National Archives and were advised that the claim that it was a true document, taken from official records was false.  Others on the forum did the same, all of this was discussed as far back as 2006.  I did a quick search on the forum and cannot come up with links to any discussion from that time, someone else may do better on that.

The only place I've seen the document brought up as being real in recent years is within UFO lore relating to the Majestic 12 documents, yet another set of hoaxed material relating to UFOs and a massive government conspiracy (connecting UFOs to JFK's murder).

Of course anyone wanting to believe the memo is free to do so....  

My reply to the above: 2006 was the year I joined the forum. In the many years since I have not seen it posted on the forum. If it was posted and debunked on the forum, I of course would not have raised the issue yesterday in my posting. -- Douglas Caddy

Edited by Douglas Caddy

I'm afraid I need to remember to keep my remarks in context as respect to time....I've been on the forum here since its inception and before that was active on the CompuServe JFK forum beginning around 1993.  That's probably way to much history and makes my use of "before" a conditional statement, relevant to way too many years....

42 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

In my original posting I stated Mueller's response to Lee D. Shepherd was where the Memorandum was posted.  Look at the replies to Shepherd's posting on Facebook and you will see Mueller's response posting the document. 

It has not been removed. I just went to Facebook and posted the link to view it. It is there now.

Yes, I saw his response but there is no CIA document. I am not sure how that works. Is it getting removed and repasted? I don't know but I think Cory hit the nail on the head and so did Larry. It appears to be a hoax and so there is not point in drawing any further attention to it. You might to delete this thread.

47 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

Yes, I saw his response but there is no CIA document. I am not sure how that works. Is it getting removed and repasted? I don't know but I think Cory hit the nail on the head and so did Larry. It appears to be a hoax and so there is not point in drawing any further attention to it. You might to delete this thread.

What you saw earlier was probably not the original post by Shepherd, but the "shared" version on Mueller's FB page.

53 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

Cory's source is a strange one, Take a look. If you this it is credible on the issue of CIA's Director's Memorandum, then embrace what it says and dismiss the Memorandum as a hoax.

Lee Harvey Oswald and that CIA Memo: The "Smoking Gun" Backfires — Steemit

I am not impressed by this source. 

Of course, if the document is genuine, then the CIA would take steps for get it charactized as a hoax.

I have given you the links on Facebook to find what Mueller replied on Shepherd's original posting that I cite at the beginning of this topic. Above you state, "I am not sure how this works" and yet you now want me to withdraw my posting of this topic based on your not knowing how Facebook works. Give me a break.

12 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

What you saw earlier was probably not the original post by Shepherd, but the "shared" version on Mueller's FB page.

No, the CIA Director's Memorandum is in the replies to Shepherd's original posting on Facebook. I have provided the links to see this to Mervyn but he now states he does not know how this works on Facebook.

1 minute ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Cory's source is a strange one, Take a look. If you this it is credible on the issue of CIA's Director's Memorandum, then embrace what it says and dismiss the Memorandum as a hoax.

Lee Harvey Oswald and that CIA Memo: The "Smoking Gun" Backfires — Steemit

I am not impressed by this source. 

Of course, if the document is genuine, then the CIA would take steps for get it charactized as a hoax.

I have given you the links on Facebook to find what Mueller replied on Shepherd's original posting that I cite at the beginning of this topic. Above you state, "I am not sure how this works" and yet you now want me to withdraw my posting of this topic based on your not knowing how Facebook works. Give me a break.

I followed all of the links and got nowhere. Even the Memo writer appears to be totally obscure and disappeared about two years ago.

I honestly don't know, but in this area I do respect what Larry Hancock has to say.

Therefore unless you can implode Larry's verdict it does appear to be a hoax that should be removed as a thread.

But your move.

My advice:

Ask Larry what you should do.

2 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

This document has been debunked and deconstructed so many times its really frustrating to see it keep reappearing.  I expectJoe B will recall the furor it initially created and the work at the National Archives which showed it to be a fake.  The source was never identified but the willingness of so many people to accept it without provenance speaks volumes about the risk of jumping on the bandwagon when something shows up that you just wanted to see...

It would be helpful to clear up this matter if you were to post "the work at the National Archives which showed it to be a fake."

6 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

No, the CIA Director's Memorandum is in the replies to Shepherd's original posting on Facebook. I have provided the links to see this to Mervyn but he now states he does not know how this works on Facebook.

I suspect neither of you does.

Edited by Mark Ulrik

2 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

I followed all of the links and got nowhere. Even the Memo writer appears to be totally obscure and disappeared about two years ago.

I honestly don't know, but in this area I do respect what Larry Hancock has to say.

Therefore unless you can implode Larry's verdict it does appear to be a hoax that should be removed as a thread.

But your move.

My advice:

Ask Larry what you should do.

I do not accept your advice since you admit you don't know how Facebook works and thus cannot even use the links I provided to read the document that Mueller cited in his reply to Shepherd's original posting. 

2 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

I do not accept your advice since you admit you don't know how Facebook works and thus cannot even use the links I provided to read the document that Mueller cited in his reply to Shepherd's original posting. 

That is an absurd response because it has nothing to do with the issue at hand which is not the workings of Facebook but according to Larry Hancock, the fact that you are promoting a fake document as a true document of fact.

I did follow your leads and waffle was there - but NO document. You even redirected from your first link and still NO document, only waffle.

What is the original source of the document?

I am not interested in the waffle.

Larry responded to the claim that the document was true and he claims that it is an old fake that keeps returning to snare more people.

I respect Larry's opinion and I would like you to produce verification that this is a real document and not a fake.

28 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Here is the Facebook link to Shepherd's original posting and the reply by Mueller with the document. It is all together on this one link.

(15) Facebook

But according to Larry Hancock even the title of this thread is incorrect and totally misleading.

It is not about Facebook but whether the document is a fake.