The Education Forum

1964 Memorandum from John McCone, Director, CIA re: Oswald

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These postings on Facebook by Mark Mueller were in response to this prior posting by Lee D. Shepherd:

Then there is the unsavory tale of Russian staff officer Yuri Ivanovich Nosenko, a mid-level lieutenant colonel in the KGB. On February 4, 1964, less than three months after the assassination, Nosenko, who left behind a wife and two young daughters, defected to the U.S. only to be held incommunicado for four years in a nightmarish, custom-built prison in what would now be known as a “black site,” a secret CIA detention facility at Camp Peary, VA. He was not allowed to read or write, and lights were constantly on to facilitate disorientation in his ten by ten foot isolation cell. While there, Nosenko was never arrested or charged with a crime. In a statement declassified in 2001, Mr. Nosenko said: “I had no contact with anyone to talk. I could not read. I could not smoke. I even could not have fresh air.”
Yuri had been working as an informant for the Soviet Division since 1962, and he carried the answer that Oswald was not a real-life Manchurian Candidate. Nosenko had met Oswald during the latter’s sojourn to Russia in 1959 and revealed that there was no evidence in KGB files that LHO ever worked for them in any capacity--information that James Angleton did not want getting out. For instance, the Warren Commission was never made aware of Nosenko’s defection even though an agency memo (internal memos not meant for public reading) quotes the double agent as saying, “Oswald was an exceedingly poor shot, and it was necessary for persons who accompanied him on hunts to provide him with game.” In addition, they had considered him unstable and unfit for espionage work.
By keeping the Russian isolated, Angleton could manipulate any follow-up investigation.
Claire George, a former C.I.A. deputy director of operations, told The Washington Post, that Mr. Nosenko’s treatment “was a terrible mistake.” But, he added, “you can’t be in the spy business without making mistakes.”
May be an image of 1 person

Edited by Douglas Caddy

7 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

These postings on Facebook by Mark Mueller were in response to this prior posting by Lee D. Shepherd:

Then there is the unsavory tale of Russian staff officer Yuri Ivanovich Nosenko, a mid-level lieutenant colonel in the KGB. On February 4, 1964, less than three months after the assassination, Nosenko, who left behind a wife and two young daughters, defected to the U.S. only to be held incommunicado for four years in a nightmarish, custom-built prison in what would now be known as a “black site,” a secret CIA detention facility at Camp Peary, VA. He was not allowed to read or write, and lights were constantly on to facilitate disorientation in his ten by ten foot isolation cell. While there, Nosenko was never arrested or charged with a crime. In a statement declassified in 2001, Mr. Nosenko said: “I had no contact with anyone to talk. I could not read. I could not smoke. I even could not have fresh air.”
Yuri had been working as an informant for the Soviet Division since 1962, and he carried the answer that Oswald was not a real-life Manchurian Candidate. Nosenko had met Oswald during the latter’s sojourn to Russia in 1959 and revealed that there was no evidence in KGB files that LHO ever worked for them in any capacity--information that James Angleton did not want getting out. For instance, the Warren Commission was never made aware of Nosenko’s defection even though an agency memo (internal memos not meant for public reading) quotes the double agent as saying, “Oswald was an exceedingly poor shot, and it was necessary for persons who accompanied him on hunts to provide him with game.” In addition, they had considered him unstable and unfit for espionage work.
By keeping the Russian isolated, Angleton could manipulate any follow-up investigation.
Claire George, a former C.I.A. deputy director of operations, told The Washington Post, that Mr. Nosenko’s treatment “was a terrible mistake.” But, he added, “you can’t be in the spy business without making mistakes.”
May be an image of 1 person

Douglas: Your post is amazing in every way. Thank you very much for putting online.

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

Cory, thank you. I followed your link and it does indeed present a multifaceted challenge regarding everything that this Texas attorney has placed on line regarding LHO. 

Therefore the challenge is for Douglas to produce evidence that this CIA memo is genuine because when I went in search of it on Facebook, I could not find it. Does this mean that the attorney was quickly informed that the memo was a hoax and took it down?

Either way Douglas, the ball is in your court to even find the link to the attorney who you claim to have got it from today. I can't find it on his Facebook page.

Have you been conned, or what?

If it is genuine then it is a bombshell, but then it should be headline news everywhere if it is genuine.

52 minutes ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

Cory, thank you. I followed your link and it does indeed present a multifaceted challenge regarding everything that this Texas attorney has placed on line regarding LHO. 

Therefore the challenge is for Douglas to produce evidence that this CIA memo is genuine because when I went in search of it on Facebook, I could not find it. Does this mean that the attorney was quickly informed that the memo was a hoax and took it down?

Either way Douglas, the ball is in your court to even find the link to the attorney who you claim to have got it from today. I can't find it on his Facebook page.

If it is genuine then it is a bombshell, but then it should be headline news everywhere if it is genuine.

Who is Garrick Alder? I can only find blog comments from him that ended two years ago. Is he dead? How reliable is his expose?

This document has been debunked and deconstructed so many times its really frustrating to see it keep reappearing.  I expectJoe B will recall the furor it initially created and the work at the National Archives which showed it to be a fake.  The source was never identified but the willingness of so many people to accept it without provenance speaks volumes about the risk of jumping on the bandwagon when something shows up that you just wanted to see...

9 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

This document has been debunked and deconstructed so many times its really frustrating to see it keep reappearing.  I expectJoe B will recall the furor it initially created and the work at the National Archives which showed it to be a fake.  The source was never identified but the willingness of so many people to accept it without provenance speaks volumes about the risk of jumping on the bandwagon when something shows up that you just wanted to see...

Thanks Larry. I had not see it before. Douglas said that he got it from the Facebook page of a Texas lawyer, but when I went to that page I could not find it. The lawyer must have already removed it. Perhaps it was pasted on his page as a comment by someone else. However when I went in search of the person who wrote the article cited that debunked it, he too vanished into thin air. The last reference to him that I could find was two years ago. All told it seems to be a very misleading thread that Douglas has created and perhaps it should be deleted before more mischief is created? I am not suggesting that Douglas did so deliberately but perhaps he had not seen this document before, and so he fell for it since it seemed to appear on a reputable page managed by a lawyer. Now that same lawyer seems to have removed it from his page.

3 hours ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

On Facebook you will find it here:

(7) Facebook

48 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Why hasn't this document been discussed in the forum before if "This document has been debunked and deconstructed so many time its really frustrating to see it keep reappearing."

Maybe it has appeared or been discussed on the forum before. If so, please post the link to it.

1 minute ago, Mervyn Hagger said:

This page belongs to someone else named Lee D. Shepherd and that CIA document is not on that site either. Has it been rapidly removed from all sites?

In my original posting I stated Mueller's response to Lee D. Shepherd was where the Memorandum was posted.  Look at the replies to Shepherd's posting on Facebook and you will see Mueller's response posting the document. 

It has not been removed. I just went to Facebook and posted the link to view it. It is there now.