The Education Forum

Paul Landis

On episode 3 of the Reiner podcast he (very briefly) airs and interview with Paul Landis. The Secret Service agent.

He claims that at Parkland he saw a pool of blood inside the limo and that he saw a pritine bullet laying in that pool, and he picked it up and put it in his pocket.

He then claims he removed it from his pocket and put it next to JFK's shoe on a stretcher, and never told anyone about it "because no one asked"

We are now given a story to somehow link CE399 directly to the limo and explain how it got on a stretcher.

I don't believe it. I do not think it makes any sense. Why would Landis, who says the bullet was "important evidence" just chuck it and leave it next to a shoe?

Wouldn't he have at least spoken to his supervisor or one of the FBI agents?

I don't buy it. It sounds made up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Richard Booth said:

On episode 3 of the Reiner podcast he (very briefly) airs and interview with Paul Landis. The Secret Service agent.

He claims that at Parkland he saw a pool of blood inside the limo and that he saw a pritine bullet laying in that pool, and he picked it up and put it in his pocket.

He then claims he removed it from his pocket and put it next to JFK's shoe on a stretcher, and never told anyone about it "because no one asked"

We are now given a story to somehow link CE399 directly to the limo and explain how it got on a stretcher.

I don't believe it. I do not think it makes any sense. Why would Landis, who says the bullet was "important evidence" just chuck it and leave it next to a shoe?

Wouldn't he have at least spoken to his supervisor or one of the FBI agents?

I don't buy it. It sounds made up.

I haven't listened to the podcast, but if Landis says he picked it up from the pool of blood, that's a problem...for his credibility The version of the story he's been telling for months is that he picked it up from on top of the seat. This may not be entirely made up, moreover, as he's been claiming for 40 years that he saw a fragment in this location. (As such a fragment was not put in the record, that in itself is a problem...for the official story.) As far as the rest of it--picking up a pristine bullet and putting it on JFK's stretcher--that smells to high heaven and sounds like something a very senior person might start claiming late in life. 

I know, many of us on the forum are seniors. Well... 

2 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but if Landis says he picked it up from the pool of blood, that's a problem...for his credibility The version of the story he's been telling for months is that he picked it up from on top of the seat. This may not be entirely made up, moreover, as he's been claiming for 40 years that he saw a fragment in this location. (As such a fragment was not put in the record, that in itself is a problem...for the official story.) As far as the rest of it--picking up a pristine bullet and putting it on JFK's stretcher--that smells to high heaven and sounds like something a very senior person might start claiming late in life. 

I'll have to listen again, maybe he said he saw a pool of blood there and grabbed it from on top of the seat. He said there was a pool of blood where JFK was sitting which in fact on top of the seat. So I don't see there being any conflict in what he said there.

I just don't buy that he would remove the bullet from his pocket and dump it on a stretcher. That is not how you handle evidence. It makes no sense.

30 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

but if Landis says he picked it up from the pool of blood...

He didn't say that in the podcast. He never said that the bullet he (allegedly) found in the limo was laying in a pool of blood. Richard Booth has misinterpreted what Landis said in the Reiner podcast.

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Richard Booth said:

I just don't buy that he would remove the bullet from his pocket and dump it on a stretcher. That is not how you handle evidence. It makes no sense.

I'm in 100% agreement with you on this point, Richard.

Landis' bullet tale is totally unbelievable, as discussed in very great detail at the link below:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com / Paul Landis Discussion

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

Well "what" Pat?

Ha!

Edited by Joe Bauer

27 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

He didn't say that in the podcast. He never said that the bullet he (allegedly) found in the limo was laying in a pool of blood. Richard Booth has misinterpreted what Landis said in the Reiner podcast.

I think Landis has said in some of his recent interviews that he saw some fragments in a pool of blood. Perhaps he was unclear in the interview as to where the bullet he picked up was found. 

This is what he said:

17:39
"I raced to the President's limosine. Mrs. Kennedy was sitting on left center of the rear seat. There was a pool of blood next to Mrs. Kennedy. She stood up, right behind where she had been sitting there was a pristine bullet. I picked this bullet up. It was not disformed other than recognized striations on it."

I don't care if he said the bullet was in a pool of bood or next to the pool of blood. What bothers me is he claims he just left the bullet on a stretcher next to Kennedy's shoe and didn't tell anyone. That makes no sense.

The Landis story had it's 15 minutes of fame.

Timed to increase his book sales. Just before the JFKA 60th.

He and his claim have already faded into old news obscurity.

16 minutes ago, Richard Booth said:

What bothers me is he claims he just left the bullet on a stretcher next to Kennedy's shoe and didn't tell anyone. That makes no sense.

You're right. It's a ridiculous story.

Here were my thoughts on the day Landis' story broke on September 9th....

-----------------

"I, myself, find it nearly impossible to believe former Secret Service agent Paul Landis' story (which Landis evidently tells in his new 2023 book, "The Final Witness") about finding a bullet "resting on the top of the back of the seat" of the Presidential limousine (which is a quote from this 9/9/2023 Vanity Fair article written by James Robenalt).

How on Earth could a whole bullet have managed to have been located in that odd position on 11/22/63? "Resting on the top of the back of the seat"? Without Clint Hill ever noticing it or disturbing it, even though Hill was clinging to the back of the car all the way to Parkland? Highly doubtful.

And even more importantly, why wouldn't Agent Landis have told someone else in authority (anyone else!) that he had picked up a bullet and moved it to President Kennedy's stretcher?

It makes no sense whatsoever for Landis to have remained totally silent about finding (and moving) such a bullet in the limo on November 22.

Did Mr. Landis think that the details about where and how the bullet was first found weren't important details at all, and therefore he felt he didn't even need to tell the Chief of the Secret Service or the FBI or anybody in Trauma Room No. 1 at Parkland about his discovery at all?

Such a mindset and behavior for a Secret Service agent is utterly ridiculous—and most certainly unbelievable.

Plus....

If Mr. Landis' bullet story is to be believed, we would then have to believe that the bullet he placed on JFK's stretcher was either never noticed by anyone else in the very busy Trauma Room No. 1, or the bullet was deliberately deep-sixed and disposed of, or the bullet was moved to yet another stretcher in the hospital (Governor Connally's).

Each of the above choices, in my opinion, also resides in the category marked "unbelievable".

A 4th choice would be: The bullet was accidentally lost (after, of course, it was never noticed by a single living soul in Trauma Room No. 1). Yet another unbelievable option."

-- DVP; September 9th, 2023

Edited by David Von Pein

2 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

You're right. It's a ridiculous story.

Here were my thoughts on the day Landis' story broke on September 9th....

-----------------

"I, myself, find it nearly impossible to believe former Secret Service agent Paul Landis' story (which Landis evidently tells in his new 2023 book, "The Final Witness") about finding a bullet "resting on the top of the back of the seat" of the Presidential limousine (which is a quote from this 9/9/2023 Vanity Fair article written by James Robenalt).

How on Earth could a whole bullet have managed to have been located in that odd position on 11/22/63? "Resting on the top of the back of the seat"? Without Clint Hill ever noticing it or disturbing it, even though Hill was clinging to the back of the car all the way to Parkland? Highly doubtful.

And even more importantly, why wouldn't Agent Landis have told someone else in authority (anyone else!) that he had picked up a bullet and moved it to President Kennedy's stretcher?

It makes no sense whatsoever for Landis to have remained totally silent about finding (and moving) such a bullet in the limo on November 22.

Did Mr. Landis think that the details about where and how the bullet was first found weren't important details at all, and therefore he felt he didn't even need to tell the Chief of the Secret Service or the FBI or anybody in Trauma Room No. 1 at Parkland about his discovery at all?

Such a mindset and behavior for a Secret Service agent is utterly ridiculous—and most certainly unbelievable.

Plus....

If Mr. Landis' bullet story is to be believed, we would then have to believe that the bullet he placed on JFK's stretcher was either never noticed by anyone else in the very busy Trauma Room No. 1, or the bullet was deliberately deep-sixed and disposed of, or the bullet was moved to yet another stretcher in the hospital (Governor Connally's).

Each of the above choices, in my opinion, also resides in the category marked "unbelievable".

A 4th choice would be: The bullet was accidentally lost (after, of course, it was never noticed by a single living soul in Trauma Room No. 1). Yet another unbelievable option."

-- DVP; Sept. 9th, 2023

Not reading any of that

Anyway. Why wouldn't Landis have told someone in USSS or FBI that he had found a bullet?  Why would he release custody of the bullet and move it to a stretcher? Wouldn't he know how important chain of custody is? 

I can buy him picking the bullet up. Once he's done that, however, he "owns" that evidence - he has to document that he picked it up. You don't just go throw it on a stretcher.

It makes no sense whatsoever for Landis to have been totally silent for decades about that bullet.

Not buying it!

I'm going to go get some fried chicken. Discuss.

The only thing that makes sense is that he impulsively picked it up, then he got scared about getting involved and put it on the stretcher because he was fearful about becoming involved in the investigation in any way.

However, until he says that, his story will remain not credible. He needs to explain why he broke chain of custody like that. 

Has anyone asked him WHY he put the bullet on the stretcher?  I'm not at all familiar with his story. I am not going to buy his book. The only exposure I have with the Landis material is that Reiner podcast.