The Education Forum

The Assassination, the CIA, Nixon and Ford

Gil Jesus

13 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

It sure looks like the CIA-Pentagon torpedoed Nixon. 

I found both of Ray Locker's Watergate books to be quite informative confirming the torpedo. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ray+locker+watergate&i=stripbooks&crid=U9EJIBDB5WX0&sprefix=ray+locker+watergate%2Cstripbooks%2C91&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Doug is that the firm from where you ended up in court for Hunt, or were you in private practice then?

Yes, I went to work for Gall, Lane, Powell and Kilcullen in 1971. It did only labor law work. It did not do criminal defense. Hunt awakened me with a phone call on June 17, 1972, at 3:05 AM, saying he was calling from his White House office and needed to see me immediately about an important matter. I told him to come ahead. I lived about a mile from the White House and as it turned out about a mile from Watergate.

Hunt arrived at 3:40 AM and told me what had occurred at Watergate. I recognized immediately that the emerging scandal would pose a dire threat to Nixon's survival as president. I informed Hunt that we were a labor law firm and did no criminal defense. I said I needed to call a partner of the law firm to get guidance. The only partner that was in town that weekend was Robert Scott. I called him and told him what had happened. His immediate reaction was, "They must have been set up, they must have been set up." He then told me that he would telephone a criminal defense attorney he knew who would work with on the case and would also call his nephew, who I did not know. He called back about twenty minutes later and told me I would be working with Joseph Rafferty, who specialized in criminal defense. He told me where to meet Rafferty at 9 A.M. He also said that he had talked to his nephew.

Robert Scott turned out to be a crucial figure in Watergate but was never interviewed by anyone. His shocking story has never been told publicly. It is among the revelations in my forthcoming book.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

In one of his autobiographies, Hunt wrote that Bennett was named an unindicted co-conspirator in Watergate for the key background role he played in the scandal. He was a CIA asset. Years later he was elected Senator from Utah. I have often wondered what the other 99 senators thought of him in their midst, a CIA asset who was an informer, hypocrite and opportunist.

Robert Bennett was my state's Senator. I never thought highly of him either.

A typical rich Republican who wanted flat taxes (which helps the rich) and was against any program that would help the poor. And this is a guy who likely served as a bishop in the LDS church.

Good riddance.

Jim Hougan in Secret Agenda on page 329 reproduced the infamous "Memorandum for the Record by Martin Lukoskie," whose opening sentence is "Subject: Meeting with Robert Foster Bennett and his Comments Concerning E. Howard Hunt, Douglas Caddy and the 'Watergate Five' Incident." 

Bennett's statements in the interview were entirely self-serving. He repeatedly tried to throw Hunt and me under the bus. He asserted falsehoods again and again, stating at one time that the money for the Watergate operation "came from a 'RiGHTIST' group Caddy being 'far far right' and Hunt also 'conservative and far right.'"

Bennett "related that he has now 'established a 'back door entry' to Edward Bennett Williams law firm which is representing the Democratic Party in its suit for damages resulting from the Watergate incident."

Another CIA "Memorandum for the Depuy Director for plans by Eric Eisenstadt" reported that "Mr. Bennett said also that he had been feeding stories to Robert Woodward of the Washington Post with the understanding that there be no attribution to Bennett. Woodward is suitably grateful for the fine stories and by-lines which he gets and protects Bennett and the Mullen Company." 

Here I need to note that one of the stories Bennett fed to Woodward was about me and contained many falsehoods. When I read it in the Washington Post I knew immediately that Bennett was the undisclosed source. The next day I received a letter from Bennett attempting to explain away how the article came to be written. He knew that I knew he was the article's actual source.

Bennett was an evil piece of work. I only met the man once and for a brief time and yet he later used me in nefarious ways to advance his own personal and business interests. 

The Bennett Mystery - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Edited by Douglas Caddy

On 11/30/2023 at 10:58 PM, James DiEugenio said:

The CIA brought down Nixon with an almost fiendishly clever plot that, as Doug  Caddy mentions, began with Hunt at the Mullen Company.  And with McCord at the CREEP.

Jim Hougan brilliantly outlined how this was done, including the lies Hunt and McCord told to hide the fact that they did know each other in advance.

From the information I know of, Nixon did not buy the official story on the JFK case.

And I  find it interesting that two persons involved in the JFK case--Hunt and McCord-- ended up dropping the bomb on Nixon. In fact, Hougan begins his milestone book with a chapter called "Of Hunt and McCord."

And the information is that they were both in Dallas on the day Kennedy was killed.

The Senate Watergate Committee never requested that I appear before it in executive session or in public session.

Had this happened what really happened in Watergate would have been revealed. It would have changed everything. 

Jim Hougan never asked to interview me. By failing to do so, his book, Secret Agenda, missed the real story.

Hougan has repeatedly attacked Government Confidential Informant Robert Merritt, claiming that he did interview him but found him to be an insignificant, low-level informant whose information was of little value. If this is true, why does the witness list of those who appeared before the Senate Watergate Committee contain Robert Merritt's name. He appeared twice in executive session.

Merritt's key role in Watergate is detailed in the 2011 book, Watergate Exposed: How the President of the United States and the Watergate Burglars Were Set-up as told to me. It is further detailed in my 2018 autobiography, Being There: Eyewitness to History. Hougan missed the real story there also.

Two weeks ago, Bob Woodward appeared on MSNBC and alluded to the book that I am writing, In the first Hour of Watergate. Woodward knows the real story of Watergate. 

Watergate Exposed by Douglas Caddy, Robert Merritt - Ebook | Everand

Being There: Eye Witness To History | San Francisco Book Review

Edited by Douglas Caddy