The Education Forum

Oh, No! Oliver Stone Denies Trump's Criminality

I greatly admire Oliver Stone's films, but...

Putin embarrassed Stone by seizing Crimea shortly before Stone's final Putin interview.  That final interview was painful to watch.  Vlad played Oliver for a fool.

And now this!  Did Oliver Stone not watch the shocking 2022 Congressional J6 hearings?

How can any rational, intelligent, informed person not know that Trump actively conspired to illegally overturn the 2020 U.S. election?

When Trump was informed, on the morning of January 6th, that his MAGA mob was armed with guns, he said, "Take down the magnetometers!  They aren't here to harm me!"

Oliver Stone: Charges against Trump are 'ridiculous' - Raw Story

Oliver Stone: Charges against Trump are 'ridiculous'

Agence France-Presse
March 13, 2024 2:13PM ET

Oliver Stone: Charges against Trump are 'ridiculous'

Director Oliver Stone (AFP Photo/Geoff Robins)

Maverick American director Oliver Stone told AFP that the legal proceedings against Donald Trump are "all political" and that the ex-president was a victim of "lawfare" -- when prosecutions are used to silence political figures.

"Almost 100 indictments against the guy... it's ridiculous," said Stone.

"This is all political. They want to put him behind bars, but they're not going to be able to," he added.

However, the 77-year-old director of "JFK", "Platoon" and "Snowden" said that he would not vote for Trump in this November's US presidential election.

"Everyone's corrupt. Russia runs on corruption, so does Turkey. So does the United States. Corruption is a way of life, but they make it into a political issue now," Stone insisted.

But he said he would not be voting for incumbent President Joe Biden either.

ADVERTISEMENT"Never for Biden, because Biden is a warmonger," said the Vietnam veteran.

Stone spoke to AFP Tuesday during a trip to Paris to promote his documentary about nuclear energy, "Nuclear Now".

He said he has been thinking a lot about "lawfare" as he has recently completed a film about Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

'Freethinker'

Lula, as he is widely known, was imprisoned in 2018 on corruption and money-laundering charges after several years in power.

The charges were overthrown after an investigation found the judge was biased, and Lula was re-elected president last year.

"The concept of lawfare is all over the world, and it's been used for political reasons, weaponised," said Stone.

"And so that's what they did with Lula. They put him in jail and he got out and he won the election. It was a hell of a story... but people don't know it, except in Brazil."

Stone has often focused on Latin American leftist leaders, with no less than three documentaries about the late Cuban leader Fidel Castro, and one about his friend the Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, who died in 2013.

Lula, Castro and Chavez were all "humanists", he said.

"They're all great. They're all original, doing the best they can for their country. I think Chavez was motivated by love of country. So it was Castro."

There is not yet a release date for his Lula film, though he has launched previous films at the Cannes Film Festival, which takes place in May.

Stone has often been denounced as a conspiracy theorist for his views on U.S. foreign policy and the assassination of John F. Kennedy, laid out in "JFK" and a follow-up documentary.

He has a simple response for his detractors. "I'm a freethinker."

I get the picture here. Eleanore's son posted the Glenn Greenwald piece and W. felt obligated to counter with his Oliver Stone piece. But of course  W. has to know by now the only one on this forum who would support him and dare poke fun at Oliver Stone would be me. What good is free speech if everybody thinks the same?! So I will.

Do the later life transformations ever stop for Ollie?
First there was that 10 hour interview with Putin, where he was first asking Putin "if Ukraine wanted to join the EU, would  that be such a big deal?" That's when Vlad turned the sword on him and over the next few sessions worked his magic on Stone,  killing him softly with his command leaving Stone empty, and lulling Stone into the transformative pull of "thuglove" 

By the end Ollie was so completely  goo goo gaga, he hurried back home to throw a couple a million of his own money to make Putin's propaganda film "Ukraine on fire," where he brands the Ukraine people and government as fascists in a fascist state, and actually gave Putin a platform  for his eventual  bloody invasion of Ukraine. Then he's driven to go back to Moscow and interview the deposed Ukraine  President Yanukovych!

It's always struck me how quiet Oliver is about the treatment of dissidents in Russia. When approached, he dismisses them as Putin's insidious  troublemakers He doubts Prighozin was murdered and of course, probably if asked, Stone would say  Navalny was to be released, and it was all an unpleasant accident!  .

Yeah, those were the good old days, but no more. It's too bad according to Stone that corrupt politicians are now called on their corruption. That's no doubt the insidious work of the "Deep State". i mean, what will they do next? Expose tapes of high up Government executives trying to persuade local officials to throw elections?  Expose fake elector schemes? Show tapes of deliberate attempts to hide Highly Classified  Documents? I've been on this forum long enough to figure out what's really going on!.

Stone's adolescent hero worship of Putin, I would attribute to a last ditch bucket list attempt at cult  devotionalism that he always felt lacking in his youth for being too old for Beatlemania.

What no one will ever take away from Stone are his achievements for open government. He's been around so long, and has gained so much respect for his films, that he's a known quantity so no one's too surprised at anything he says. "That's just Oliver", and he always has a number of his favorite controversial issues., so he doesn't really soil the JFKA conspiracy movement.

Ho, how could I ever even entertain such a thought!?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Posted (edited)

Kirk,

I only know about Oliver Stone from watching his films and documentaries.

My impression is that he began his invaluable career as a "political" filmmaker by exploring and trying to educate the public about the dark "untold" story of the American military industrial complex and the CIA-- JFK, Born on the 4th of July, Salvador, Nixon, W., The Untold History, etc.

God bless him for that terrific work!

But, in the process of exposing the truly horrific post-WWII sins of the CIA and the MIC, it seems like Stone (and Kuznick) have tended to turn a blind eye to the dark side of Soviet (and Putin's neo-Soviet) history.

Kuznick and Stone never talked about the horrors if Stalinism, (in their Untold History series) nor has Stone talked about the horrors of Putinism, as you pointed out.

It's the same criticism I have directed at Paul Rigby, while agreeing with many of Rigby's criticisms of the CIA and the U.S. MIC.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Oliver Stone is old enough and smart enough to know the world isn't perfect. In fact, in the above quotations he talks about corruption with the commentary "everybody does it."

But Oliver Stone is also old enough and smart enough to know that our time on this planet is to be used for good; for improving the world. And he knows there is but one country that is capable of and working to achieve that on a global scale: The United States.

So he can take his crybaby cynicism and stick it where he fills his diaper.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Oliver Stone is old enough and smart enough to know the world isn't perfect. In fact, in the above quotations he talks about corruption with the commentary "everybody does it."

But Oliver Stone is also old enough and smart enough to know that our time on this planet is to be used for good; for improving the world. And he knows there is but one country that is capable of and working to achieve that on a global scale: The United States.

But, Matt, to reiterate, I believe that Oliver Stone's efforts to inform the public about the crimes of the CIA and U.S. military-- at home and abroad-- are extremely important and worthy of praise.

JFK and JFK Revisited are probably the best examples, but Salvador and The Untold History of the United States are also important.

It pained me to watch that final Putin interview by Oliver Stone, precisely because I really respect the man.

Surely, he must have some awareness that Putin is nefarious-- a mass murderer of civilians.

I'm also pained by Stone's claim that, "the charges against Trump are ridiculous"-- at least in the cases of the J6 seditious conspiracy and classified records theft.

Trump's J6 conspiracy was an extremely serious Presidential crime-- an attempt to remain in power and subvert American democracy.

Edited by W. Niederhut

6 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

That's exactly right Matt.! He's kind of a baby.

Stone: "everybody does it!."  So Stone at 78 , worth about 60 million and is realizing for the first time that there's corruption and and rather than advocate fighting it, he says nobody has any  authority to fight it because everybody's corrupt. Wow! that's quite a revelation for a 78 year old.!

heh heh