The Education Forum

MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT

The moderators can't emphasize enough how important it is to "stay clean" for a while (a week or two) after being penalized.The reason is because penalties rise exponentially every time a new warning is issued to a given member during the "stay clean" period.

Suppose a member is given a 10-point warning for cussing at another member. The first 10 points will cost the member one day of posting privileges. The second 10 points will cost 2 days. Then 4, then 8. The penalty doubles every time.

The reason I bring this up now is because one member physically threatened another member about a week ago and got a 30 point warning, which resulted in a 4-day penalty. Well, that same member received a much less severe 10 point warning today for tip-toeing around his prior threat. Even though the number of warning points issued this time were much smaller, he ended up with an 8-day penalty. Had he waited for a few more days before acting up again, he would have received just a 1-day penalty.

The penalty system is designed this way so that it is not too harsh for single events, even if quite disruptive (some members used to be banned immediately for such events), while at the same time providing incentive to cool off.

• Sandy Larsen changed the title to MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT

Off topic:

Sandy, i noticed the bottom thread of  the "controversial issues from history" is the Water Cooler thread with a picture of the latest poster.

I've always loved your picture Sandy, in that it makes me want to know who this person is. But your picture does dominate the skyline of this JFK assassination forum, heh heh a joke!, and for those of us who regularly use the water cooler,  as you do, it would be much more direct (fewer clicks ) if we could 1) know if a new poster posted and 2) just go directly to the water cooler page from the JFK forum. 

Could you just put the water cooler page access with the latest poster directly here on the forum as you do on the "Controversial issues in history" page?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

So you're saying that would make it too accessible for our own good?

Sandy Do you and @W. Niederhut want to return to the days of the "56 years" thread?

Well sure. I'm a big boy.   IMO, that thread  screw up was largely instigated by a very small clique, and one person in particular.

It's not for the idea of getting more forum eyeballs, if you think that's harmful. It's just ease of use, not just for W.and I. but everybody who uses it. Maybe even including you!

Incidentally I should say I agree with this post's judgment. Threatening another member of the forum even as a joke blows!

19 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

So you're saying that would make it too accessible for our own good?

I'm not making a judgement call at all. I'm just saying that doing what you want will result in what we had in the "56 years" thread. I recall that a number of posters in that thread hated what was going on with it.

If you guys want it back the way it was  before, I will consider doing that and will see if I can get the change approved by the other mods.

Another possibility is to continue having segregated water cooler threads and pin all three at the top of the JFKA forum. The downside to this is that I will have no place to inform members of the posting rules.

Sandy Do you and @W. Niederhut want to return to the days of the "56 years" thread?

Well sure. I'm a big boy.

Noted.

IMO, that thread  screw up was largely instigated by a very small clique, and one person in particular.

Nevertheless, the small clique did result in consternation for several members.

It's not for the idea of getting more forum eyeballs, if you think that's harmful. It's just ease of use, not just for W.and I. but everybody who uses it. Maybe even including you!

Yes, I understand.

Ben, The 56 year thread is permanently closed. I never suggested the 56 year thread would be moved on to this main page.

What I suggested is if you pick the Water Cooler thread option on this JFK side, there would  be a picture of the latest poster as  in every other thread. And by clicking it, it  would take you directly to the water cooler page, where you could still post your alternative view option.. It would save time and clicks.

22 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ben, The 56 year thread is permanently closed. I never suggested the 56 year thread would be moved on to this main page.

What I suggested is if you pick the Water Cooler thread option on this JFK side, there would  be a picture of the latest poster as  in every other thread. And by clicking it, it  would take you directly to the water cooler page, where you could still post your alternative view option.. It would save time and clicks.

Excellent suggestion Kirk Galloway. 

I salute the Kirk Galloway flag. 

The 56 Years thread was a remarkable phenomenon, for more than a year, with a lot of very interesting, informative discussions about history and politics.

It was only in the final weeks of its existence that the thread devolved into a repository for redundant MAGA spam-- in lieu of dialogue, critical thinking, and informed discussions.

As for the current Water Cooler set up, it has been an interesting forum for discussions about contemporary politics but, unfortunately, some of our lively 56 Year, and Journal of the Plague Year, participants-- Joe Bauer, Paul Brancato, Denny Zartman, Ron Ecker, Cliff Varnell, James DiEugenio, and others-- never got involved in the Water Cooler.

Edited by W. Niederhut