The Education Forum

Audio of Marina’s WC Testimony

I have received this audio of her September 6, 1964 testimony to which attended Cooper, Russell’s, Boggs and Lee Rankin. A note from a friend of mine has been sent to a WC attorney asking him if other witnesses were recorded. 

1 hour ago, Denis Morissette said:

I have received this audio of her September 6, 1964 testimony to which attended Cooper, Russell’s, Boggs and Lee Rankin. A note from a friend of mine has been sent to a WC attorney asking him if other witnesses were recorded. 

Fascinating.  Is it sharable?

Say Denis M., while on the subject of Marina audio recordings, and you being the expert as much as anyone on such resources, can you possibly advise or locate or come up with the audio of Marina's New Orleans Grand Jury testimony? There's a place where Marina said "ACLU" with some ellipses around it in the written transcript, and if more words could be deciphered from the audio it could shed light on whether Marina in fact did mean ACLU as the objectionable organization in which the Secret Service told Marina Ruth Paine was mixed up and the Secret Service told Marina as a negative thing that Ruth and that organization were "writing letters over there" (at a time when ACLU/Ruth had written a letter inquiring formally whether Marina was being held under duress, an inquiry not appreciated by the Secret Service). But in the one explicit mention in the transcript in that section in which Marina said "ACLU" there are those ellipses, so as not to know what Marina said ABOUT the "ACLU" in that section of testimony. Any idea if there is a way to access the audio of that that does not involve flying to New Orleans? Thanks!

10 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

I am sure you know this, but Marina later told researchers that her testimony was poorly interpreted, and that the transcript was misleading as to how she actually testified.  Do you have access to a top linguist, who can create a new (and hopefully, Marina-approved) transcript?

1 hour ago, Greg Doudna said:

Say Denis M., while on the subject of Marina audio recordings, and you being the expert as much as anyone on such resources, can you possibly advise or locate or come up with the audio of Marina's New Orleans Grand Jury testimony? There's a place where Marina said "ACLU" with some ellipses around it in the written transcript, and if more words could be deciphered from the audio it could shed light on whether Marina in fact did mean ACLU as the objectionable organization in which the Secret Service told Marina Ruth Paine was mixed up and the Secret Service told Marina as a negative thing that Ruth and that organization were "writing letters over there" (at a time when ACLU/Ruth had written a letter inquiring formally whether Marina was being held under duress, an inquiry not appreciated by the Secret Service). But in the one explicit mention in the transcript in that section in which Marina said "ACLU" there are those ellipses, so as not to know what Marina said ABOUT the "ACLU" in that section of testimony. Any idea if there is a way to access the audio of that that does not involve flying to New Orleans? Thanks!

I tried to locate Shaw Trial audios, but came back empty handed. I remember a photo of someone in the courtroom talking and a microphone next to him, but it could have been used only for the PA system to let people in the room hear better.

13 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

I am sure you know this, but Marina later told researchers that her testimony was poorly interpreted, and that the transcript was misleading as to how she actually testified.  Do you have access to a top linguist, who can create a new (and hopefully, Marina-approved) transcript?

I was also thinking of this. There is also an SS man helping with the translation. 

3 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

Paul Gregory is still alive. I already shared with him the December 1963 SS interview with Marina. Yesterday I offered him a link to this WC testimony. I’m waiting for his reply.

Great stuff, Dennis.  Thanks.