The Education Forum

Dallas Times Herald Editor’s Notes

This is a great source of very early material from the Dallas Times Herald before they even printed their first edition of their November 22, 1963 newspaper. It took me several hours to copy them at the Dallas Central Public Library. Lucky you, you’ve got them for free. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M579IE0NLpX3Ry-PxP03r6GNGZp9HoRz

19 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

I just flipped through it briefly but looks like there’s some really interesting stuff in there.  Great find. 

Yes. I’m guessing that these notes are what the editor, his name is in one of the pages, was told over the phone by his reporters. 

DISREGARD WHAT ORIGINALLY WAS HERE--IT IS OBSOLETE. CLEARER PHOTOS CLEARLY SHOW THE READING IS "STREET DRESS" (as pointed out below by Jean-Paul Ceulemans and confirmed by the clear photos now provided by Denis Morissette).

Edited by Greg Doudna

4 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

I just flipped through it briefly but looks like there’s some really interesting stuff in there.  Great find. 

A serious researcher would offer to pay Denis for his great find, otherwise he might end up complaining about the expensive food at his grocery store.

55 minutes ago, Richard Bertolino said:

A serious researcher would offer to pay Denis for his great find, otherwise he might end up complaining about the expensive food at his grocery store.

I did complain at the supermarket. Soon enough, we’ll have to eat only twice a day because food is now so expensive.

6 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Thank you Denis Morissette for your work on this!

The last line of image #437 reads: “Jean Hill said I though [sic] I saw someone in the motorcade in street DRAIN shoot back at the person running up the hill”. 

From my memory of reading her later book, I recall her saying she thought she saw Secret Service shooting back at a Grassy Knoll shooter, but I recall no reference of Jean Hill speaking of a storm drain.

Then image #441 seems oddly to repeat the same news story of Jean Hill with slight rewrite of wording, and the parallel there reads:

”I thought I saw someone in the motorcade in street {•re•t} (?) shoot back at a person moving up the hill.”

What does the word after “street” in #441 read? The word is NOT “drain”. Is the word “crack” or “break”? Can anyone decipher that word?

Why does it read “drain” in one iteration (reading Jean Hill saw someone in “street drain” shooting “back” at someone on the GKnoll), whereas in the parallel, the “drain” is gone and replaced with some other word (which I cannot make out)?

What was going on with that? Why two versions of the same Jean Hill news story? 

Is this a heretofore-unknown first-day witness claim to have seen a shooter firing out of a storm drain? Was that Jean Hill news story published?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this little mystery! 

I think it leads to a man in plain clothing, it is confusing, would come from street dress(ing).

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

21 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Thank you Denis Morissette for your work on this!

The last line of image #437 reads: “Jean Hill said I though [sic] I saw someone in the motorcade in street DRAIN shoot back at the person running up the hill”. 

From my memory of reading her later book, I recall her saying she thought she saw Secret Service shooting back at a Grassy Knoll shooter, but I recall no reference of Jean Hill speaking of a storm drain.

Then image #441 seems oddly to repeat the same news story of Jean Hill with slight rewrite of wording, and the parallel there reads:

”I thought I saw someone in the motorcade in street {•re•t} (?) shoot back at a person moving up the hill.”

What does the word after “street” in #441 read? The word is NOT “drain”. Is the word “crack” or “break”? Can anyone decipher that word?

Why does it read “drain” in one iteration (reading Jean Hill saw someone in “street drain” shooting “back” at someone on the GKnoll), whereas in the parallel, the “drain” is gone and replaced with some other word (which I cannot make out)?

What was going on with that? Why two versions of the same Jean Hill news story? 

Is this a heretofore-unknown first-day witness claim to have seen a shooter firing out of a storm drain? Was that Jean Hill news story published?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this little mystery! 

437 to me really reads street DRESS(ing), referring to a non-uniformd person (more often one would say  plain-clothes officers...) 

Denis-JF Kennedy Files-DHT 51.png