The Education Forum

Absolutely Provably Fake Photograph Of Officer Valentine On 6th Floor

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 6:53 AM, Chris Bristow said:

Denis, I have been trying to reconcile the light falling on the box below the DPD officer which looks to me like direct sunlight falling on it. That would mean the photo was taken early in the morning and so would not be from 11/22.
  However the double beam that lands to the right of the window indicates we are not even looking at the snipers window. Those double beams run east/west in videos of the museum. The small black pipes also run east west.  The window would have to be on the west side of the building which would explain the Sun's angle as an afternoon Sun. That would make sense for the photo being taken on the 22nd. Am I seeing this correctly?

x

Edited by Richard Bertolino

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Compare the sunlight, Valentine rather close to same spot and indicating where rifle all. was found, picture ref 11/22

Versus the one discussed here with in arch. ref. 11/26 as the date..

Little note: when zoomed in,  and compared, his pencils are the same and in the same order in his pocket next to his badge (could be his "thing", mine were rarely the same, and most certainly not in the same order).

Anyone tried reading the time on his watch?

Edited by Jean Ceulemans
Corr and add.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 7:58 AM, Jean Ceulemans said:

Compare the sunlight, Valentine rather close to same spot and indicating where rifle all. was found, picture ref 11/22

metapth184777_m_1989.100.0023.0012.med_res.jpg

metapth184778_m_1989_100_0023_0013.med_res.jpg.aeccd71e476733ffd0ba6d74b848bf9e.jpg

Versus the one discussed here with in arch. ref. 11/26 as the date..

10005189.jpg

Little note: when zoomed in,  and compared, his pencils are the same and in the same order in his pocket next to his badge (could be his "thing", mine were rarely the same, and most certainly not in the same order).

Anyone tried reading the time on his watch?

13 hours ago, Richard Bertolino said:

The stairway is right there, too. This is the northwest corner of the building, where the rifle was said to be found. That's probably why Valentine is supposedly guarding the spot.

Thanks that explains everything.

1 hour ago, Chris Bristow said:

Thanks that explains everything.

The close up photo was taken some time after the other photo. I say that because of both the angle of the shadows and the brightness of the light on the boxes. In the close up photo, the angle is consistent with the sun being positioned further west and of lower luminosity despite being closer to the window.

Using the tool below, I estimate the earlier photo was taken about 3:00 PM. The second photo has a shadow about 10 degrees different which may have been as late as 4:00 PM.You can play around with the tool’s slider bar at the top to change the time and get the solar elevation and azimuthal angles at that time.

Local sunset was 5:23 PM.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/32.778,-96.7962,10/1963.11.22/12:58/1/0

2 hours ago, Kevin Balch said:

The close up photo was taken some time after the other photo. I say that because of both the angle of the shadows and the brightness of the light on the boxes. In the close up photo, the angle is consistent with the sun being positioned further west and of lower luminosity despite being closer to the window.

Using the tool below, I estimate the earlier photo was taken about 3:00 PM. The second photo has a shadow about 10 degrees different which may have been as late as 4:00 PM.You can play around with the tool’s slider bar at the top to change the time and get the solar elevation and azimuthal angles at that time.

Local sunset was 5:23 PM.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/32.778,-96.7962,10/1963.11.22/12:58/1/0

Yes I noticed the close up shows a different angle that suggests it was taken later. But as far as the accuracy of the measurement there are a couple variables. Because that close up photo was taken at maybe a 45 degree downward angle to the box the perceived angle of the shadow is skewed a bit. It will appear to be at more of an angle than it does when photographed from directly above. Directly above the box would give the most accurate result.
  The photograph matches the angle in the Sun calculator but the distortion of the 45 degree angle photo to the box means the real angle should be  less than a 3:00 clock Sun.
The camera is also at an angle to the wall and the window. that gives the wall 4 degrees of vanishing point angle. That may cancel out the distortion of the 45 degree downward camera angle to the box and put the time back to 3:00 pm.
An example of the angular distortions is seen in the box in the originally posted photo vs the close up. there is a 10 degree difference in the angle of the box in those two photos. But at the same time the vertical aspect of the window is almost exactly the same in both those photos. So the difference of 10 degrees is a matter of both time of day and angular distortion. As you drop the angle of the camera the totally vertical and totally horizontal lines will not distort at all but everything between vertical and horizontal will get distorted and bent towards the horizontal. I  am splitting hairs but the time may be closer to around 2:30.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 10:01 AM, Richard Bertolino said:

I tried, of course, to read the time on his watch. Insufficient resolution. But it probably was the "right" time. Easy to set a watch when you know you're faking a photo. And there's no way to know for sure on what day any of these photos were taken. It is said that the Allen photos were taken on the 22nd, but try verifying that. The 6th Floor Museum has a William Allen contact sheet which shows these photos as having been taken while, or just after, Lt. Day was there, and they are represented as having been taken after the detectives came out of the building holding the long paper bag and the pop bottle, but that would be easy to fake by anybody in possession of the photographic materials. If the Allen photos are genuine, and I think they are, they had to have been taken after Lt. Day had returned to the TSBD, after 3 PM. That could be why the FWST photo was faked, because it could be determined that the Allen photos had to have been taken after 3 PM, and this does not give Valentine an alibi for the  Earlene Roberts' car 207 sighting. The time of day of the FWST photo cannot be determined...unless you want to try to read the shadows, which might have been faked anyway.

10 hours ago, Chris Bristow said:

Yes I noticed the close up shows a different angle that suggests it was taken later. But as far as the accuracy of the measurement there are a couple variables. Because that close up photo was taken at maybe a 45 degree downward angle to the box the perceived angle of the shadow is skewed a bit. It will appear to be at more of an angle than it does when photographed from directly above. Directly above the box would give the most accurate result.
  The photograph matches the angle in the Sun calculator but the distortion of the 45 degree angle photo to the box means the real angle should be  less than a 3:00 clock Sun.
The camera is also at an angle to the wall and the window. that gives the wall 4 degrees of vanishing point angle. That may cancel out the distortion of the 45 degree downward camera angle to the box and put the time back to 3:00 pm.
An example of the angular distortions is seen in the box in the originally posted photo vs the close up. there is a 10 degree difference in the angle of the box in those two photos. But at the same time the vertical aspect of the window is almost exactly the same in both those photos. So the difference of 10 degrees is a matter of both time of day and angular distortion. As you drop the angle of the camera the totally vertical and totally horizontal lines will not distort at all but everything between vertical and horizontal will get distorted and bent towards the horizontal. I  am splitting hairs but the time may be closer to around 2:30.

All great points!

RB still hasn’t explained the need for altering a photo several days before a witness statement emerged that suggested its necessity. Usually, cause precedes effect.