The Education Forum

Larry Hancock Says Likely LHO Not State Asset

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Oswald was indeed manipulated.

The assassination plotters manipulated Oswald into taking the role of patsy. Somehow they got him to take a job at the TSBD. Not only that, but the plotters manipulated Ruth Paine into facilitating Oswald into taking that job.

What kind of plotters could possibly have this kind of power over people? The only people I can think of are CIA officers who have operations going.

Larry, I fear that you don't place enough importance on circumstantial evidence. There's a ton of circumstantial evidence pointing to the fact that Oswald was a CIA operative. Just look at all those goings on in Mexico City by... NOT Oswald, but by Oswald impersonators! What was that all about?? The evidence points to it being an operation designed to have the assassination blamed on Cuba and Russia. Along with Oswald.

This is a resolved issue IMO.

Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore asked George DeMohrenschildt to check on Oswald. That is a pretty good sign that Oswald was low level CIA.

George DeMohrenshildt approached Lee Harvey Oswald at the behest of the Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/operation-dragon

JIM DIEUGENIO:

What about their other chief suspect? As DeMohrenschildt told Edward Epstein, he did not approach Oswald and his wife Marina at the behest of the KGB. He did so at the request of J. Walton Moore of the Dallas CIA office. In fact, Moore had to push George into doing this and Moore did so on three separate occasions. As DeMohrenschildt stated to Edward Epstein, “I would never have contacted Oswald in a million years if Moore had not sanctioned it.” (The Assassination Chronicles, by Edward Epstein, pp. 558–59) I don’t see how one can make it more clear than that. And since Epstein’s work is used profusely in Operation Dragon, it’s hard to buy that Woolsey and Pacepa did not know this.

UNQUOTE

[“Operation Dragon,” Jim DiEugenio, Kennedys and King, 9-8-2021]

Edited by Robert Morrow

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Robert Morrow said:

Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore asked George DeMohrenschildt to check on Oswald. That is a pretty good sign that Oswald was low level CIA.

George DeMohrenshildt approached Lee Harvey Oswald at the behest of the Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/operation-dragon

JIM DIEUGENIO:

What about their other chief suspect? As DeMohrenschildt told Edward Epstein, he did not approach Oswald and his wife Marina at the behest of the KGB. He did so at the request of J. Walton Moore of the Dallas CIA office. In fact, Moore had to push George into doing this and Moore did so on three separate occasions. As DeMohrenschildt stated to Edward Epstein, “I would never have contacted Oswald in a million years if Moore had not sanctioned it.” (The Assassination Chronicles, by Edward Epstein, pp. 558–59) I don’t see how one can make it more clear than that. And since Epstein’s work is used profusely in Operation Dragon, it’s hard to buy that Woolsey and Pacepa did not know this.

UNQUOTE

[“Operation Dragon,” Jim DiEugenio, Kennedys and King, 9-8-2021]

Wait -- wasn't DeMohrenschildt possibly a Soviet agent?

In his 1977 review of the CIA data on de Mohrenschildt, Russ Holmes made the comment, in several places, that the biggest problem with recruiting de Mohrenschildt was his espionage work on behalf of the Nazis during WWII. But he did point out one interesting Soviet connection that was evidently not pursued beyond surface depth: he had been associated with “Feodor Alekseevich Garanin, who was a Soviet diplomat in Washington, D.C., in 1946.” Garanin had also been “a member of the Soviet State Security Service probably since the mid-1940s”with stints in the U.S., Hungary, and Finland.

Garanin in Helsinki at same time Oswald passes through.  Huh.

2 hours ago, Matt Cloud said:

Wait -- wasn't DeMohrenschildt possibly a Soviet agent?

In his 1977 review of the CIA data on de Mohrenschildt, Russ Holmes made the comment, in several places, that the biggest problem with recruiting de Mohrenschildt was his espionage work on behalf of the Nazis during WWII. But he did point out one interesting Soviet connection that was evidently not pursued beyond surface depth: he had been associated with “Feodor Alekseevich Garanin, who was a Soviet diplomat in Washington, D.C., in 1946.” Garanin had also been “a member of the Soviet State Security Service probably since the mid-1940s”with stints in the U.S., Hungary, and Finland.

Garanin in Helsinki at same time Oswald passes through.  Huh.

Doubt it very much. De Mohruenschildt's friends were all the hard core right wingers in the Texas oil community, including people like CIA George Herbert Walker Bush and Vice President Lyndon Johnson who DeMohrenshildt tried to arrange a personal meeting with in April, 1963, but LBJ's office replied LBJ is busy so why don't you meet with his military attache Col Howard Burris.

Weirdly, the Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore was the one who had asked DeMohrenshildt to check on Lee Harvey Oswald and he quickly became a friend of Oswald's.

1 minute ago, Robert Morrow said:

Doubt it very much. De Mohruenschildt's friends were all the hard core right wingers in the Texas oil community, including people like CIA George Herbert Walker Bush and Vice President Lyndon Johnson who DeMohrenshildt tried to arrange a personal meeting with in April, 1963, but LBJ's office replied LBJ is busy so why don't you meet with his military attache Col Howard Burris.

Weirdly, the Dallas CIA chief J. Walton Moore was the one who had asked DeMohrenshildt to check on Lee Harvey Oswald and he quickly became a friend of Oswald's.

Hmmm.  Let's see.  If he were a Soviet agent would he go around spouting Marxist-Leninist talking points or might he conceal the fact by associating with so-called "right-wing" White Russians?  Allowing for duplicity and deception -- and an ability to analyze such -- is a prerequisite in this field, btw.  George Bush is not a right-winger.  LBJ likewise.  Texas was key battleground territory for neo-con takeover of the the center-left at that time -- it not having a meaningful Republican party, talk of "Texas reactionaries" and General Walker notwithstanding. It was the Johnson/Yarborough side of dems vs Connally side. Enter the Bushes.  This is the fundamental point, and the point upon which so many analyses along your lines fail.  

Isn't DeMohrenshildt identified in VENONA?  Along with Garanin?  Whether you "doubt it" or not?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

Hmmm.  Let's see.  If he were a Soviet agent would he go around spouting Marxist-Leninist talking points or might he conceal the fact by associating with so-called "right-wing" White Russians?  Allowing for duplicity and deception -- and an ability to analyze such -- is a prerequisite in this field, btw.  George Bush is not a right-winger.  LBJ likewise.  Texas was key battleground territory for neo-con takeover of the the center-left at that time -- it not having a meaningful Republican party, talk of "Texas reactionaries" and General Walker notwithstanding. It was the Johnson/Yarborough side of dems vs Connally side. Enter the Bushes.  This is the fundamental point, and the point upon which so many analyses along your lines fail.  

Isn't DeMohrenshildt identified in VENONA?  Along with Garanin?  Whether you "doubt it" or not?

Go ahead and prove to me that George DeMohrenschildt was proven to be a Soviet asset by the Venona code breaking. Give me a good footnote and I will use it. Got anything better than this?

Lyndon Johnson and George DeMohrenschidt

from lordbuckly@sbcglobal.net (Mark Groubert)

Texan George Brown of Brown and Root was LBJ's chief financial sponsor. He also employed, 1958-1963, George DeMohrenschildt, Oswald's "closest friend" for the CIA in Dallas. Previously, DeMohrenschildt had worked for LBJ backer John Mecom. Oil barons Mecom, Murchison, Sid Richardson and H.L. Hunt were all described as his close friends, as well as then-oilman George Bush. These men met at the Dallas Petroleum Club and other private gathering spots. Among their associates were Harold Byrd (owner of the Texas School Book Depository), Dallas Mayor Cabell, Ted Dealey (publisher of the Dallas Morning News), and Abraham Zapruder, who filmed the assassination.

DeMohrenschildt wrote to Vice President Johnson on April 17,1963. LBJ aide Walter Jenkins replied April 18! On April 23, LBJ's military aide Col. Howard Burris wrote to Jenkins suggesting that LBJ be kept "informed to the maximum extent possible in as many areas as possible...that he be more nearly prepared to assume the reins of government in case he is called upon to do so." Three days later, Burris (and possibly LBJ) met with DeMohrenschildt in Washington. On May 20, LBJ and DeMohrenschildt definitely met.

Edited by Robert Morrow

1 minute ago, Robert Morrow said:

Go ahead and prove to me that George DeMohrenschildt was proven to be a Soviet asset by the Venona code breaking. Give me a good footnote and I will use it. Got anything better than this?

We are at equipoise.  That's the point.  You say he's CIA; I have info that says he's KGB.  We're stuck, but you want to resolve the conflict in one direction, without explanation, let alone even acknowledgement of the possibility of an alternative, and the complexities inherent to intelligence work.

3 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

We are at equipoise.  That's the point.  You say he's CIA; I have info that says he's KGB.  We're stuck, but you want to resolve the conflict in one direction, without explanation, let alone even acknowledgement of the possibility of an alternative, and the complexities inherent to intelligence work.

And Mark Groubert is no authority whatsoever on anything, save perhaps Sam Kinison's speed-ball routine.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

Just give me documentation that George DeMohrenschildt was a Soviet asset as revealed by the Venona codebreaking. That is all I am asking. An aide to James Angleton, one of the great cover up artists on the JFK assassination, can't be trusted without verification.

And, yes, I will admit that one can have worked for/with the Soviets at one time and later work for/with the CIA at some other time.

Or even at the same time.

Edited by Robert Morrow

You got take it up with Dick Russell at his p. 273 from The Man Who Knew Too Much. 

I'd prefer to focus on Granin, actually.  His presence in Hungary and Finland, both places where I say the Oswald Project intersected, may be noteworthy.  

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10217-10005.pdf

If you want to have a discussion about the significance of VENONA -- and I do NOT mean that it is decisive as to identification of alleged Soviet agents, at all -- we should do that.  VENONA was blown, early, during World War II, as Elizabeth Bentley testified.  But the Soviets continued using it, knowing that the cables were being deciphered.  This crack came not from Philby, nor even probably from Weisband, but from somewhere/someone else.   I would look at Virgina McMahon, wife as of 1949 of William Cotter of FBI then CIA and the Angleton mail-opening program.  (Sister of later DDCI John McMahon, who himself had debriefed Gary Powers, and the defectors Golitsyn and Nosenko.)

The point is that VENONA may have been allowed to be purposefully used -- by persons on both the Soviet and the U.S. side (aka "The Pond") for perhaps later manipulation, some of which might have included setting CIA and FBI counterintelligence on a wild goose chase for an alleged mole, which for complex reasons may have been in fact designed to fail -- designed to turn CIA against itself, by the persons -- again, both Soviet and US -- who were allowing VENONA to be manipulated.  Such persons would include, to say here as I have elsewhere, Harriman, Goldberg, Cherne, Bush.  

Whether Angleton was in on this manipulation -- that is to say, whether he knew he was setting his aides up on a doomed to fail hunt, is an entirely unexplored question in this field, notwithstanding your claim that he was "the great cover up artist."

On 5/20/2024 at 9:39 AM, Matt Cloud said:

In his 1977 review of the CIA data on de Mohrenschildt, Russ Holmes made the comment, in several places, that the biggest problem with recruiting de Mohrenschildt was his espionage work on behalf of the Nazis during WWII.

Past Nazi affiliations never seemed to bother the CIA.

On 5/20/2024 at 12:24 PM, Matt Cloud said:

Texas was key battleground territory for neo-con takeover of the the center-left at that time -- it not having a meaningful Republican party, talk of "Texas reactionaries" and General Walker notwithstanding. It was the Johnson/Yarborough side of dems vs Connally side.

I think you've got them flipped. Johnson/Connally vs Yarborough.

15 minutes ago, Tony Rose said:

I think you've got them flipped. Johnson/Connally vs Yarborough.

Where Johnson's ideological loyalties actually resided can be debated ad nauseum and probably never achieve resolution, since pragmatism was among his defining characteristics.  The point really was that Texas had no effective Republican Party and the fissures within the Democratic Party there, were exploited during the neo-con ascendency, as I keep calling it.   

To be sure the issue of the alignments within the Texas Democratic Party were at times fluid, with Johnson, as ever, straddling both.  However the case, and certainly after the assassination, Johnson garnered support from the Yarborough wing -- the wing which would bring him The Great Society, more so than the Connally wing. 

Connally would move to the right over the next twenty years, aligning first with Nixon and then with Bush, albeit as something of a rival.  It was Connally's man -- Bob Strauss -- however, who took over DNC after Watergate, steering it to the right, just at time Bush was atop the RNC, steering it to the left, many traditional republicans will say.  Both these strains -- the Connally strain of the Dem party -- taken over by Strauss -- and the Bush strain of the Republican party, were driving each toward a nep-con/neo-lib centrism.  

Texas in State of Confusion Since Assassination; Johnson Supported By Both Liberals, Conservatives

Connally Maintains Control Of State Party Machinery

September 25, 1964

Situation Confused

But when Lyndon Johnson was elevated to the Presidency the situation in Texas was clouded. As it became clear that Johnson would carry on the Kennedy program and, indeed, enlarge upon it and get it passed, most of the liberals of Texas found themselves supporting the man they had so often opposed.

Within the state, however, Johnson's conservative associates were doing business as usual. John Connally, as Governor, was the ranking member of the state party and also headed its conservative element. Although he served for a short time as Secretary of the Navy in the Kennedy government, his campaign for Governor had been based on an essentially anti-Kennedy platform; he was opposed to the civil rights bill, to Medicare, and to many other key points in the New Frontier.

At the same time he was one of Johnson's oldest and closest allies. "I love him like a brother," Johnson once said, "I love him more than I do Sam Houston." Like Johnson, Connally had often quarreled with Ralph Yarborough but, unlike Johnson, had not settled his differences with him. When Don Yarborough, a fellow liberal and close associate of Ralph Yarborough's but no relation, announced that he would again oppose Connally in the Democratic Primary, Connally was gravely offended and decided to launch a major attack on the liberals.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1964/9/25/texas-in-state-of-confusion-since/

12 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

Where Johnson's ideological loyalties actually resided can be debated ad nauseum and probably never achieve resolution, since pragmatism was among his defining characteristics.  The point really was that Texas had no effective Republican Party and the fissures within the Democratic Party there, were exploited during the neo-con ascendency, as I keep calling it.   

To be sure the issue of the alignments within the Texas Democratic Party were at times fluid, with Johnson, as ever, straddling both.  However the case, and certainly after the assassination, Johnson garnered support from the Yarborough wing -- the wing which would bring him The Great Society, more so than the Connally wing. 

Connally would move to the right over the next twenty years, aligning first with Nixon and then with Bush, albeit as something of a rival.  It was Connally's man -- Bob Strauss -- however, who took over DNC after Watergate, steering it to the right, just at time Bush was atop the RNC, steering it to the left, many traditional republicans will say.  Both these strains -- the Connally strain of the Dem party -- taken over by Strauss -- and the Bush strain of the Republican party, were driving each toward a nep-con/neo-lib centrism.  

Texas in State of Confusion Since Assassination; Johnson Supported By Both Liberals, Conservatives

September 25, 1964

Situation Confused

But when Lyndon Johnson was elevated to the Presidency the situation in Texas was clouded. As it became clear that Johnson would carry on the Kennedy program and, indeed, enlarge upon it and get it passed, most of the liberals of Texas found themselves supporting the man they had so often opposed.

Within the state, however, Johnson's conservative associates were doing business as usual. John Connally, as Governor, was the ranking member of the state party and also headed its conservative element. Although he served for a short time as Secretary of the Navy in the Kennedy government, his campaign for Governor had been based on an essentially anti-Kennedy platform; he was opposed to the civil rights bill, to Medicare, and to many other key points in the New Frontier.

At the same time he was one of Johnson's oldest and closest allies. "I love him like a brother," Johnson once said, "I love him more than I do Sam Houston." Like Johnson, Connally had often quarreled with Ralph Yarborough but, unlike Johnson, had not settled his differences with him. When Don Yarborough, a fellow liberal and close associate of Ralph Yarborough's but no relation, announced that he would again oppose Connally in the Democratic Primary, Connally was gravely offended and decided to launch a major attack on the liberals.

And that article is worth reading in its entirety, beyond my excerpts, to glean a more complete picture.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 1:48 PM, Matt Cloud said:

September 25, 1964

Situation Confused

Lyndon Johnson BEFORE the JFK assassination had sided FIRMLY with the conservatives in his state as he was killing and watering down civil rights bills and behaving as a complete tool of the hard core reactionaries that controlled the Texas oil industry.

Sen. Ralph Yarborough, being a liberal allied with President Kennedy, HATED LYNDON JOHNSON and Lyndon Johnson, in return, along with his friend John Connolly, HATED SEN. RALPH YARBOROUGH.

In fact during JFK's Texas trip the enmity between Sen. Ralph Yarborough and LBJ and Connolly was making its way into the newspapers and LBJ was having arguments with JFK about having to sit in a car with Sen. Yarborough. LBJ wanted to get Ralph Yarborough out of his car and put Jackie Kennedy there in Yarborough's place. That is because LBJ knew bullets would be raining down in JFK's car. Sen. Ralph Yarborough did not want to sit in a car with LBJ either. Gov. John Connally hated Sen. Yarborough

Now AFTER the JFK assassination - which Lyndon Johnson orchestrated - the Kennedys personally and many liberals and blacks inside the Democratic party DEEPLY SUSPECTED LYNDON JOHNSON IN THE JFK ASSASSINATION.

So what did Lyndon Johnson do to inoculate himself from this well placed and completely accurate suspicion? Lyndon Johnson on Wednesday, Nov. 27th gave a nationally televised speech before Congress in which he CAME OUT 100% IN SUPPORT OF CIVIL RIGHTS FOR BLACKS, which was the #1 issue for liberals nationwide.

At the same time, Lyndon Johnson moved to protect Sen. Ralph Yarborough from any challenges to him in the Texas Democratic primary from Texas conservatives. LBJ embrace Sen. Yarborough just as he embraced civil rights and he embraced the popular Democratic domestic agenda on things such as Medicare.

While this was going on, Lyndon Johnson was carrying water for the hard right wing TEXAS OIL MEN and TEXAS MILITARY CONTRACTORS all of whom made tons of money off of Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s. The oil depletion allowance, a massive tax break, was preserved throughout LBJ's term and LBJ also escalated the Vietnam War and his friends like D.H. Byrd, James Ling of LTV and longtime sugar daddy George Brown of Halliburton made tons of money off of the Vietnam War. (D.H. Byrd, though his LBJ and military contacts, was involved in the JFK assassination.)

So the 1964 Harvard Crimson article was wrong: both liberals and Texas conservatives feasted off the Administration of Lyndon Johnson. Liberals got civil rights, voting rights and Medicare. Conservatives got oil industry tax breaks throughout LBJ's term in office and a massive and tragic war in Vietnam.

LBJ was a pretty diabolically evil and smart guy when it came to protecting his ass and political manipulation, eh?

Another person who benefited was J. Edgar Hoover, who the Kennedys were going to force to retire, who Lyndon Johnson gave a lifetime exemption from having to retire at age 70 (subject to the continuing approval of the president, so LBJ had Hoover by his balls forever).

A very good example of LIBERALS and BLACKS immediately (and correctly) suspecting Lyndon Johnson in the JFK is the following Whitney Young example. Remember, the people who Whitney Young were consulting immediately following the JFK assassination were the black leadership of the civil rights movement and they immediately thought LBJ had killed JFK because, as seasoned political insiders, they were well versed in the acidic relationship between the Kennedys and LBJ.

LBJ moved very quickly to stomp this wildfire of liberal suspicion out by immediately supporting civil rights and a liberal domestic spending agenda which Richard Goodwin coined as "The Great Society."

Everywhere seasoned Civil Rights activist Whitney Young went, someone told him that Lyndon Johnson was behind the JFK assassination. Source:

Robert Parker’s - Capitol Hill in Black and White: Revelations of the Inside - and Underside - of power politics by the black former maître d’ of the Senate Dining Room (1986) - Robert Parker was an LBJ insider and a black man.                                  

Robert Parker: 

It didn’t take long for the enemies of Lyndon Johnson to crawl out of the Capitol woodwork. “Old LBJ must have had something to do with it,” I heard them say the very next day. The suspicion echoed in every corridor from Senate staff attorneys, legislative aides, waitresses, and tourists. Their grief for John F. Kennedy more their cynicism and dislike of Lyndon Johnson even more intense.

Blacks, who as a group had always mistrusted LBJ, were no exception. A few days after President Kennedy was buried, Clarence Mitchell, director of the NCAAP’s Washington office, got into a heated discussion about President Johnson with Whitney Young, director of the Urban League. They were standing in the corridor outside the Senate Dining Room. Mitchell called me over. Like most people in the Kennedy camp, Young was upset. It was bad enough to lose a dynamic leader like John Kennedy, but to get Lyndon Johnson in exchange was to rub salt in the wounds of grief. Young was telling Mitchell that everywhere he went he heard someone say LBJ was behind the assassination of Kennedy. Young was concerned about the gossip.

“Johnson’s not that kind of man,” Mitchell said. Then he turned to me. “Tell him, Robert! You’ve known Johnson ever since you were a kid.”

As depressed as I was over the death of the president, the accusations of murder leveled at Lyndon Johnson made me even sadder. Although he could be the meanest man in Washington, I knew he was no killer. I defended him. I felt that people like the ones Whitney Young were gossiping didn’t understand LBJ and were not being fair to him. That Lyndon Johnson was bored as vice president was clear to anyone who cared enough to watch him. I had seen him often on the Hill between January 1961, when he took his oath of office, and November 1963, when President Kennedy was assassinated. I had served dozens of his private lunches, as well as hideaway parties, which he attended for old times’ sake. President Kennedy had turned him into his messenger boy on the Hill. And Johnson had let it be known that he didn’t like being a toothless old lion.

A few weeks before Lyndon Johnson moved into the White House, I was in the Inner Sanctum when Senator Jordan walked to join a half-dozen of his southern friends. “Did y’all hear about ol’ Lyndon?” he asked even before he sat down. “He’s got himself in trouble already.”

Jordan began fleshing out a story I had read that morning in The Washington Post. I’m sure he got his information from Johnson aides, who were itching to take over the White House.

“Ol’ Lyndon got on the phone and called Mrs. Kennedy the other day,” Jordan drawled as if he were savoring each word. “He told her, ‘Sweetheart, listen, you don’t have to move out until you’re good and ready. We’re not rushing you.’”

Jordan and his friends laughed because they knew “ol’ Lyndon” couldn’t wait to swivel in the Oval Office chair.

Jordan continued, “Jackie slammed down the phone and huffed to an aide, ‘How dare that oversize cowpunching son-of-a-bitch call me sweetheart! I want to speak to him about it.’ The aide went over to ol’ Lyndon’s office.”

Jordan paused for the punchline.

“Well, ol’ Lyndon  pounded the desk with that big fist of his, got out of his chair, stretched tall, and said, “’I’m sick and tired of this horseshit! Where I come from, we always call our ladies “sweetheart” and they call us southern gentleman “honey.”’”

Jordan could hardly stop laughing.

“Well, ol’ Lyndon better not try being a southern gentleman with Jackie again!” he said. 

UNQUOTE

[Robert Parker - Capitol Hill in Black and White: Revelations of the Inside - and Underside - of power politics by the black former maître d’ of the Senate Dining Room, pp. 131-133.]

Edited by Robert Morrow

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Robert Morrow said:

Lyndon Johnson BEFORE the JFK assassination had sided FIRMLY with the conservatives in his state as he was killing and watering down civil rights bills and behaving as a complete tool of the hard core reactionaries that controlled the Texas oil industry.

Sen. Ralph Yarborough, being a liberal allied with President Kennedy, HATED LYNDON JOHNSON and Lyndon Johnson, in return, along with his friend John Connolly, HATED SEN. RALPH YARBOROUGH.

In fact during JFK's Texas trip the enmity between Sen. Ralph Yarborough and LBJ and Connolly was making its way into the newspapers and LBJ was having arguments with JFK about having to sit in a car with Sen. Yarborough. LBJ wanted to get Ralph Yarborough out of his car and put Jackie Kennedy there in Yarborough's place. That is because LBJ knew bullets would be raining down in JFK's car. Sen. Ralph Yarborough did not want to sit in a car with LBJ either. Gov. John Connally hated Sen. Yarborough

Now AFTER the JFK assassination - which Lyndon Johnson orchestrated - the Kennedys personally and many liberals and blacks inside the Democratic party DEEPLY SUSPECTED LYNDON JOHNSON IN THE JFK ASSASSINATION.

So what did Lyndon Johnson do to inoculate himself from this well placed and completely accurate suspicion? Lyndon Johnson on Wednesday, Nov. 27th gave a nationally televised speech before Congress in which he CAME OUT 100% IN SUPPORT OF CIVIL RIGHTS FOR BLACKS, which was the #1 issue for liberals nationwide.

At the same time, Lyndon Johnson moved to protect Sen. Ralph Yarborough from any challenges to him in the Texas Democratic primary from Texas conservatives. LBJ embrace Sen. Yarborough just as he embraced civil rights and he embraced the popular Democratic domestic agenda on things such as Medicare.

While this was going on, Lyndon Johnson was carrying water for the hard right wing TEXAS OIL MEN and TEXAS MILITARY CONTRACTORS all of whom made tons of money off of Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s. The oil depletion allowance, a massive tax break, was preserved throughout LBJ's term and LBJ also escalated the Vietnam War and his friends like D.H. Byrd, James Ling of LTV and longtime sugar daddy George Brown of Halliburton made tons of money off of the Vietnam War. (D.H. Byrd, though his LBJ and military contacts, was involved in the JFK assassination.)

So the 1964 Harvard Crimson article was wrong: both liberals and Texas conservatives feasted off the Administration of Lyndon Johnson. Liberals got civil rights, voting rights and Medicare. Conservatives got oil industry tax breaks throughout LBJ's term in office and a massive and tragic war in Vietnam.

LBJ was a pretty diabolically evil and smart guy when it came to protecting his ass and political manipulation, eh?

Another person who benefited was J. Edgar Hoover, who the Kennedys were going to force to retire, who Lyndon Johnson gave a lifetime exemption from having to retire at age 70 (subject to the continuing approval of the president, so LBJ had Hoover by his balls forever).

A very good example of LIBERALS and BLACKS immediately (and correctly) suspecting Lyndon Johnson in the JFK is the following Whitney Young example. Remember, the people who Whitney Young were consulting immediately following the JFK assassination were the black leadership of the civil rights movement and they immediately thought LBJ had killed JFK because, as seasoned political insiders, they were well versed in the acidic relationship between the Kennedys and LBJ.

LBJ moved very quickly to stomp this wildfire of liberal suspicion out by immediately supporting civil rights and a liberal domestic spending agenda which Richard Goodwin coined as "The Great Society."

Everywhere seasoned Civil Rights activist Whitney Young went, someone told him that Lyndon Johnson was behind the JFK assassination. Source:

Robert Parker’s - Capitol Hill in Black and White: Revelations of the Inside - and Underside - of power politics by the black former maître d’ of the Senate Dining Room (1986) - Robert Parker was an LBJ insider and a black man.                                  

Robert Parker: 

It didn’t take long for the enemies of Lyndon Johnson to crawl out of the Capitol woodwork. “Old LBJ must have had something to do with it,” I heard them say the very next day. The suspicion echoed in every corridor from Senate staff attorneys, legislative aides, waitresses, and tourists. Their grief for John F. Kennedy more their cynicism and dislike of Lyndon Johnson even more intense.

Blacks, who as a group had always mistrusted LBJ, were no exception. A few days after President Kennedy was buried, Clarence Mitchell, director of the NCAAP’s Washington office, got into a heated discussion about President Johnson with Whitney Young, director of the Urban League. They were standing in the corridor outside the Senate Dining Room. Mitchell called me over. Like most people in the Kennedy camp, Young was upset. It was bad enough to lose a dynamic leader like John Kennedy, but to get Lyndon Johnson in exchange was to rub salt in the wounds of grief. Young was telling Mitchell that everywhere he went he heard someone say LBJ was behind the assassination of Kennedy. Young was concerned about the gossip.

“Johnson’s not that kind of man,” Mitchell said. Then he turned to me. “Tell him, Robert! You’ve known Johnson ever since you were a kid.”

As depressed as I was over the death of the president, the accusations of murder leveled at Lyndon Johnson made me even sadder. Although he could be the meanest man in Washington, I knew he was no killer. I defended him. I felt that people like the ones Whitney Young were gossiping didn’t understand LBJ and were not being fair to him. That Lyndon Johnson was bored as vice president was clear to anyone who cared enough to watch him. I had seen him often on the Hill between January 1961, when he took his oath of office, and November 1963, when President Kennedy was assassinated. I had served dozens of his private lunches, as well as hideaway parties, which he attended for old times’ sake. President Kennedy had turned him into his messenger boy on the Hill. And Johnson had let it be known that he didn’t like being a toothless old lion.

A few weeks before Lyndon Johnson moved into the White House, I was in the Inner Sanctum when Senator Jordan walked to join a half-dozen of his southern friends. “Did y’all hear about ol’ Lyndon?” he asked even before he sat down. “He’s got himself in trouble already.”

Jordan began fleshing out a story I had read that morning in The Washington Post. I’m sure he got his information from Johnson aides, who were itching to take over the White House.

“Ol’ Lyndon got on the phone and called Mrs. Kennedy the other day,” Jordan drawled as if he were savoring each word. “He told her, ‘Sweetheart, listen, you don’t have to move out until you’re good and ready. We’re not rushing you.’”

Jordan and his friends laughed because they knew “ol’ Lyndon” couldn’t wait to swivel in the Oval Office chair.

Jordan continued, “Jackie slammed down the phone and huffed to an aide, ‘How dare that oversize cowpunching son-of-a-bitch call me sweetheart! I want to speak to him about it.’ The aide went over to ol’ Lyndon’s office.”

Jordan paused for the punchline.

“Well, ol’ Lyndon  pounded the desk with that big fist of his, got out of his chair, stretched tall, and said, “’I’m sick and tired of this horseshit! Where I come from, we always call our ladies “sweetheart” and they call us southern gentleman “honey.”’”

Jordan could hardly stop laughing.

“Well, ol’ Lyndon better not try being a southern gentleman with Jackie again!” he said. 

UNQUOTE

[Robert Parker - Capitol Hill in Black and White: Revelations of the Inside - and Underside - of power politics by the black former maître d’ of the Senate Dining Room, pp. 131-133.]

You've a knack for spam that's for sure.  What's less sure is whether you read or understood the excerpt from the article before you wrote:

"So the 1964 Harvard Crimson article was wrong: both liberals and Texas conservatives feasted off the Administration of Lyndon Johnson. Liberals got civil rights, voting rights and Medicare. Conservatives got oil industry tax breaks throughout LBJ's term in office and a massive and tragic war in Vietnam."

To repeat, the article states: 

"... most of the liberals of Texas found themselves supporting the man they had so often opposed.  Within the state, however, Johnson's conservative associates were doing business as usual."

Your version, and the Crimson version, are essentially identical, albeit the latter not as elegantly put.

Edited by Matt Cloud