The Education Forum

CFR member professor Douglas Brinkley went 100% Lone Nutter on 50th Anniversary of the JFK Assassination (11/17/2013)

I track the Lone Nutters who are prominent opinion makers, historians, journalists or media commentators. I could give you many examples of who they are, what they say and where they say it. But in this case I wanted to give you one of the most egregious cases of Lone Nutterism on the JFK assassination that I have ever seen: Professor Douglas Brinkley's ringing endorsement of the Warren Report on November 17, 2013 on CBS' Face the Nation.

One big reason this confident eruption of Lone Nutterism was so egregious was not merely because it was on national TV, but even worse it was 50 years after the JFK assassination, as if we have not learned anything interesting and compelling over the decades to indicated that the Warren Report was a hot pile of burning garbage.

The last time I checked, Professor Brinkley was a Professor at Rice University, but he actually lives in Austin, TX not too far away from where I live in West Austin. He is a media talking head who is given generous access to major media platforms regularly. Lately I have been seeing Brinkley on TV clucking his tongue on how evil Donald Trump is and what a threat to democracy Trumpism is.

Here is how the esteemed and honored "Professor" Brinkley and Council on Foreign Relations member Douglas Brinkley performed when he was given access to a national TV audience on the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination. 

Professor James Galbraith once wrote that in order to be admitted to the highest levels of the American establishment, you have to say these 5 words: "A Lone Nut Killed JFK." That is your ticket for admittance.

Douglas Brinkley, November 17, 2013 on CBS News Face The Nation: 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-the-nation-transcripts-november-17-2013-jfk-assassination-50th-anniversary/

[Face the Nation transcripts November 17, 2013: JFK assassination 50th anniversary]

BRINKLEY: Look, it's clear Lee Harvey Oswald killed John F. Kennedy. And you ask why people wonder; I interviewed Gerald Ford at Rancho Mirage once for a book, and I was asking him about NATO and the fall of Saigon and his presidency.

And he said, come here. He said, look at this, and it was a little stack like this.

He said, this is my incoming about my presidency. Now you see this stack, it was like towering, he said that was about me and the Warren Commission and why I invented a magic bullet.

And you know, we -- I think it's on the Warren Commission report, I think it was at times sloppy, it was rushed, but it was right in the end. And maybe on this 50th anniversary we need to thank people, the legacies of Gerald Ford and John McCloy and Arlen Specter and people that worked so hard on those multiple volumes, because they, I think, nailed the story.

UNQUOTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Brinkley

http://www.harpercollins.com/cr-101135/douglas-brinkley

Biography

Douglas Brinkley is a professor of history at Rice University, CBS News Historian, and a contributing editor at Vanity Fair. The Chicago Tribune has dubbed him "America's new past master." Seven of his books have been selected as New York Times Notable Books of the Year. Cronkite won the Sperber Prize for Best Book in Journalism and was a Washington Post Notable Book of the Year 2012. The Great Deluge won the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award. He lives in Texas with his wife and three children. Brinkley has been awarded honorary doctorates from Trinity College (Connecticut), University of Maine, Hofstra University, and Allegheny College, among many others.

Education –

Perrysburg High School (Ohio)

Ohio State University – BA in history – 1982

Georgetown University – MA – 1983

Georgetown University – PhD in U.S. diplomatic history – 1989

Brinkley is a member of the Century Association, the CFR and the Society of American Historians

Wikipedia on Brinkley:

Awards and honors[edit]

·         In 2021, the Garden Club of America awarded Brinkley the Frances K. Hutchison Medal for his distinguished service to conservation efforts.[25]

·         In 2020, Brinkley's book American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race was given the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction (Longlist).[26]

·         In 2017, Brinkley was named Presidential Historian for New York Historical Society, helping to advance and articulate the mission, goals, and activities of the Historical Society's Presidency Project.[27]

·         In 2017, Brinkley won a Grammy Award Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album for co-producing Presidential Suite: Eight Variations on Freedom by the Ted Nash Big Band.[28]

·         In 2016 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service awarded him their Heritage Award.[29]

·         In 2015 he was awarded the Robin W. Winks Award for Enhancing Public Understanding of National Parks by the National Parks Conservation Association.[30]

·         Cronkite (2012), a biography of Walter Cronkite, received the Ann M. Sperber Prize for 2013.[31]

·         Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America (2009) received the National Outdoor Book Award in the History/Biography category 2009.[32]

·         Driven Patriot (1992), a biography of James Forrestal, received the Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt Naval History Prize.[citation needed]

·         Brinkley received an honorary doctorate from Hofstra University at commencement in May 2012.[33]

·         In 2004, Brinkley was given the Humanist of the Year award by the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities.[34]

·         In 1995 he was awarded the Stuart L. Bernath Lecture Prize from the Society of Historians of American Foreign Relations (Ceremony: Chicago, Illinois, April 1996).[35]

Century Club:

The Century Association counts about 2,000 current members[1] and a historical total of about 11,000 members. A number of members have made significant contributions in the fields of government, law, science, academia, business, arts, journalism, and athletics, among others. Its members have included 29 Nobel Prize laureates, eight Presidents of the United States, ten US Supreme Court justices, 43 Members of the Cabinet, members of the RockefellerVanderbiltRoosevelt, and Astor families, and other noted individuals. Members are known as "Centurions." Centurions who have attained the presidency include Chester A. ArthurGrover ClevelandTheodore RooseveltWilliam Howard TaftWoodrow WilsonHerbert C. HooverFranklin D. Roosevelt and Dwight D. Eisenhower.[22]

Chief Justices have included Charles Evans HughesHarlan Fiske Stone, and William Howard Taft; associate justices included Samuel BlatchfordWilliam J. Brennan, Jr.Benjamin N. CardozoJohn Marshall HarlanLewis F. Powell, Jr.Edward T. Sanford, and Potter Stewart.[22]

Edited by Robert Morrow

It's a puzzle why/how a historian would/could come to this conclusion. All I had to do was read one "Oswald did it" book and it was almost immediately obvious to me that things didn't add up. And I'm definitely no "multi-honorary doctorate" guy.

I think there was a second gunsel on 11/22. And a diverionary smoke- and-bang show on the GK.

The LN 'ers have different point of view, and most CT'ers disagree with me.

So...censorship time?

Surely, reasonable doubt attends to all scenarios.

15 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I think there was a second gunsel on 11/22. And a diverionary smoke- and-bang show on the GK.

The LN 'ers have different point of view, and most CT'ers disagree with me.

So...censorship time?

Surely, reasonable doubt attends to all scenarios.

So, perhaps, the Earth is flat then, eh, Ben?

It all depends merely on one's point of view?

To use the old Orwell/Solzhenitsyn/WCR metaphor, perhaps 2+2=5?

Edited by W. Niederhut

49 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

So, perhaps, the Earth is flat then, eh, Ben?

It all depends merely on ones point of view?

To use the old Orwell/Solzhenitsyn/WCR metaphor, perhaps 2+2=5?

WN-

How do you explain the X-ray showing the back of JFK's skull and a single small bullet hole near the base of the skull?

The x-ray conflicts with the many statements made by doctors at Parkland.

So I have reasonable doubts about what happened on 11/22.

PS. As a moderator could you please try to moderate? That is, try to encourage collegial conversations as opposed to statements drenched in animus?

10 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

WN-

How do you explain the X-ray showing the back of JFK's skull and a single small bullet hole near the base of the skull?

The x-ray conflicts with the many statements made by doctors at Parkland.

So I have reasonable doubts about what happened on 11/22.

PS. As a moderator could you please try to moderate? That is, try to encourage collegial conversations as opposed to statements drenched in animus?

No animus on my part, Ben.

I'm simply interested in bona fide education vs. disinformation.

Disinformation promotes ignorance-- the opposite of education.

Weren't you once a critic of CIA Operation Mockingbird?

As for the sham Bethesda autopsy vs. the Parkland medical testimony, does anyone on the forum seriously doubt that the JFK assassination evidence was aggressively suppressed and altered from Day One?

It has taken years of hard work by dedicated, independent researchers to bring the true facts about JFK's assassination to light.

21 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

No animus on my part, Ben.

I'm simply interested in bona fide education vs. disinformation.

Disinformation promotes ignorance-- the opposite of education.

As for the sham Bethesda autopsy vs. the Parkland medical testimony, does anyone on the forum seriously doubt that the JFK assassination evidence was aggressively suppressed and altered from Day One?

It has taken years of hard work by dedicated, independent researchers to bring the true facts about JFK's assassination to light.

WN-

Op Mock then as now, I say. 

But...what is purported to an authentic x-ray of the rear of JFK's post-JFKA skill shows on bullet hole in the low rear area.  

I cannot tell if the skull x-ray is authentic or not. Serious people say it is. 

If the x-ray is authentic, it suggests there was no explosion outward in the rear of JFK's skull. 

I am left with reasonable doubts about the direction of shots that struck JFK.  

14 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

WN-

Op Mock then as now, I say. 

But...what is purported to an authentic x-ray of the rear of JFK's post-JFKA skill shows on bullet hole in the low rear area.  

I cannot tell if the skull x-ray is authentic or not. Serious people say it is. 

If the x-ray is authentic, it suggests there was no explosion outward in the rear of JFK's skull. 

I am left with reasonable doubts about the direction of shots that struck JFK.  

Ben,

This is, precisely, why critical thinking about disinformation is so important.

For example, where is the missing 5x7 cm. occipital Harper fragment in the fraudulent Bethesda x-ray?

Additionally, an occipital entry wound blew off the right half of a cadaver's face on ballistic testing, knocking the head violently forward-- the precise opposite of what is seen on the Z film.

Keven Hofeling went to the trouble of extensively documenting the facts about this on the recent "Disinformation" thread.

Unfortunately, the WCR salesmen respond to the facts by endlessly repeating the WCR disinformation.

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

The people in the public sphere all worked up over “disinformation” have no problems at all believing whatever the agency that ran Operation Mockingbird tell them.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Balch said:

The people in the public sphere all worked up over “disinformation” have no problems at all believing whatever the agency that ran Operation Mockingbird tell them.

Same difference, Kevin.

Operation Mockingbird was run by Cord Meyer and the CIA, as we learned from William Colby's testimony to the Church Committee.

Most of the Founding Fathers of the CIA were OSS men in WWII, and they were remarkably knowledgeable about psychological ops, and Edward Bernays' pioneering propaganda techniques-- Frank Wisner, Allen Dulles, Phillip Graham, Cord Meyer, Ed Lansdale, et.al.

5 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Same difference, Kevin.

In what respect?

I’m quite aware of the history of the CIA, it’s predecessor the OSS and Mockingbird.

But the Biden’s, Clinton’s, Obamas etc. that rail about disinformation and foreign interference believe what the CIA tells them. And tell us to believe as well. I guess those post 1970s and post Iraq War intelligence reforms all worked as intended.

One of my disagreements with Jim Di’s (overall fine) essays on the neocons was portraying the FDR administration as the harbinger of world peace. FDR’s deliberate engineering of US entry into WW2 (which many here find moral and admirable) set the stage for all the machinations that followed. The OSS assembled the people, the mindset and the precedent for all that later came under the CIA. Such as disinformation campaigns aimed at the US public, cooperation with organized crime and mind control experiments where the OSS was there first. We’ve been on a wartime footing ever since.

The Council on Foreign Relations set up the War and Peace Studies Group in 1939 over 2 years before the US entered the war. They were already studying issues of which sections of the globe were required to sustain the US economy (called the Grand Area), the UN, the post war reconstruction, international monetary agencies etc. The members of the group staffed the FDR State Dept. on a revolving door basis. This is detailed in Shoup and Minter’s Imperial Brain Trust: The Council on Foreign Relations and US Foreign Policy as well as Neil Smith’s American Empire: Roosevelt’s Geographer and the Prelude to Globalization. Note that these are not right wing sources.

Here’s a Wikipedia summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_Studies

27 minutes ago, Kevin Balch said:

In what respect?

I’m quite aware of the history of the CIA, it’s predecessor the OSS and Mockingbird.

But the Biden’s, Clinton’s, Obamas etc. that rail about disinformation and foreign interference believe what the CIA tells them. And tell us to believe as well. I guess those post 1970s and post Iraq War intelligence reforms all worked as intended.

One of my disagreements with Jim Di’s (overall fine) essays on the neocons was portraying the FDR administration as the harbinger of world peace. FDR’s deliberate engineering of US entry into WW2 (which many here find moral and admirable) set the stage for all the machinations that followed. The OSS assembled the people, the mindset and the precedent for all that later came under the CIA. Such as disinformation campaigns aimed at the US public, cooperation with organized crime and mind control experiments where the OSS was there first. We’ve been on a wartime footing ever since.

The Council on Foreign Relations set up the War and Peace Studies Group in 1939 over 2 years before the US entered the war. They were already studying issues of which sections of the globe were required to sustain the US economy (called the Grand Area), the UN, the post war reconstruction, international monetary agencies etc. The members of the group staffed the FDR State Dept. on a revolving door basis. This is detailed in Shoup and Minter’s Imperial Brain Trust: The Council on Foreign Relations and US Foreign Policy as well as Neil Smith’s American Empire: Roosevelt’s Geographer and the Prelude to Globalization. Note that these are not right wing sources.

Here’s a Wikipedia summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_Studies

If I recall, the widespread use of propaganda against the American public started with WW1, and never really stopped. My recollection is as well that Hitler modeled his propaganda efforts on what the US did in WW1. 

IOW, "Mockingbird" did not start with the CIA. 

20 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

It's a puzzle why/how a historian would/could come to this conclusion. All I had to do was read one "Oswald did it" book and it was almost immediately obvious to me that things didn't add up. And I'm definitely no "multi-honorary doctorate" guy.

I created a blog on the coverage of the 50th that has been cited in textbooks. There was a consensus among most mainstream journalists and historians that IF there'd been a conspiracy we would have already discovered it, and that it was best for the country to move on. Brinkley was no outlier. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

If I recall, the widespread use of propaganda against the American public started with WW1, and never really stopped. My recollection is as well that Hitler modeled his propaganda efforts on what the US did in WW1. 

IOW, "Mockingbird" did not start with the CIA. 

It was called "yellow journalism" and it preceded WWI. Think all the war mongering newspapers promoting the Spanish-American War so the USA could take Cuba and the Philippines.