The Education Forum

Reclaiming History - The Missing Footnotes

Does anyone know why Vincent Bugliosi's book "Reclaiming History" appears to have no footnotes? Take for example page 1457. On that page you have the following sentence:

"And as indicated, when Oswald was arrested he only had $13.87 on his person, (76)..."

Bugliosi gives a number, 76, but this number appears to go nowhere. There are no footnotes at the back of the book. There is of course a disk that comes with the book which is a PDF of about 1000 pages of notes. This PDF references some of the pages of the book but for the above example, which is page 1457, there is no listing of any of the footnotes on this page.

Check out page 938 of the PDF to see that there is no listing of any footnotes for page 1457 and many other pages. 

So in other words Bugliosi gives us a reference number, 76, that leads nowhere. 

Am i missing something, does anyone know where Bugliosi's footnote numbers lead to?

33 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Hi Gerry,

The footnote you are seeking is there. It's on Page 166 of the "Source Notes" PDF file. Note #76 leads to "WR, p.745"....

RH-Source-Notes.png

Bugliosi's notes reference alot of phonecalls he made to various witnesses as part of his research. Do you know if those phonecalls were recorded and are available somewhere to listen to? Or if Bugliosi took notes on the phonecalls and these notes are available to be read somewhere?

47 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Bugliosi's notes reference a lot of phone calls he made to various witnesses as part of his research. Do you know if those phone calls were recorded and are available somewhere to listen to? Or if Bugliosi took notes on the phone calls and these notes are available to be read somewhere?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that at least the lengthier telephone calls that Vince made to various people must have been recorded in some fashion. Otherwise, I don't think Vince could have included such lengthy quotes from those calls in his book....such as these two phone conversations that Vince had with Dr. Robert McClelland in 2002.

I suppose all of those detailed McClelland quotes could have been a result of some fast note-taking on Bugliosi's part. But I doubt it. I think those calls were likely recorded.

As to what happened to the recordings (and/or written notes), I haven't the foggiest. But I'm guessing they still survive today. Vince once told a radio interviewer in 2007 that he had tons of stuff stored in his garage at his L.A. home, including every single early draft he ever wrote for his JFK book. So I'll bet any phone recordings are still around, probably put into storage somewhere after Vince passed away in 2015.

Edited by David Von Pein

31 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that at least the lengthier telephone calls that Vince made to various people must have been recorded in some fashion. Otherwise, I don't think Vince could have included such lengthy quotes from those calls in his book....such as these two phone conversations that Vince had with Dr. Robert McClelland in 2002.

I suppose all of those detailed McClelland quotes could have been a result of some fast note-taking on Bugliosi's part. But I doubt it. I think those calls were likely recorded.

As to what happened to the recordings (and/or written notes), I haven't the foggiest. But I'm guessing they still survive today. Vince once told a radio interviewer in 2007 that he had tons of stuff stored in his garage at his L.A. home, including every single early draft he ever wrote for his JFK book. So I'll bet any phone recordings are still around, probably put into storage somewhere after Vince passed away in 2015.

I think he must have recorded the calls too. Some of the quotes he includes in his book of interviewees are way too long to have been taken by notes.

Some of those phone interviews are critical in my opinion, especially as Bugliosi was a very probing individual given his lawyer background and experience in cross-examining people.

They would be a treasure trove if they could be located. 

12 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Some of those phone interviews are critical in my opinion, especially as Bugliosi was a very probing individual given his lawyer background and experience in cross-examining people.

They would be a treasure trove if they could be located. 

I agree. I'd love to hear all of the uncut phone calls Vince made to witnesses. The call he made to Buell Wesley Frazier on March 24, 2004, confirming the existence of the Dr. Pepper machine on the first floor of the Depository, would be of particular interest to me (among many others).

11 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

I agree. I'd love to hear all of the uncut phone calls Vince made to witnesses. The call he made to Buell Wesley Frazier on March 24, 2004, confirming the existence of the Dr. Pepper machine on the first floor of the Depository, would be of particular interest to me (among many others).

David,

You and Gerry need to get a room at the Lone Nut Motel.  It was a popular place on Route 66 many years ago.

Anyone who is still interested in Reclaiming History, obviously, hasn't read DiEugenio's book, a blow-by-blow debunking of Bugliosi's propaganda tome.

The JFK Assassination: DiEugenio, James, Stone, Oliver: 9781510739833: Amazon.com: Books

derelict_motel_route_66-2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

David,

You and Gerry need to get a room at the Lone Nut Motel.  It was a popular place on Route 66 many years ago.

Anyone who is still interested in Reclaiming History, obviously, hasn't read DiEugenio's book, a blow-by-blow debunking of Bugliosi's propaganda tome.

The JFK Assassination: DiEugenio, James, Stone, Oliver: 9781510739833: Amazon.com: Books

This thread isn't so much about anything Bugliosi said, but moreso about what his interviewees might have said on the other end of a recorded telephone call. 

We would like to know what they said. 

11 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

This thread isn't so much about anything Bugliosi said, but moreso about what his interviewees might have said on the other end of a recorded telephone call. We would like to know what they said. 

I'd also enjoy listening to all of these phone calls that Bugliosi made:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Telephone interview of Jack Tatum by author [Vincent Bugliosi] on June 1, 1986

Telephone interview of Ted Callaway by author on May 17, 1986

Telephone interview of James Leavelle by author on August 24, 2006

Telephone interview of Wesley Liebeler by author on December 7, 1999

Telephone interview of Dr. Michael Baden by author on January 8, 2000

Telephone interview of Dr. Cyril Wecht by author on October 7, 2002

Telephone interview of Ruth Paine by author on June 28, 1986

Edited by David Von Pein

Related Stuff....

Shortly after Vince Bugliosi passed away in June 2015, Steve Barber was kind enough to send me some of his audio files containing some of the recorded messages that Mr. Bugliosi had left on Steve's telephone answering machine in late 2006 and early 2007, shortly before Vincent's book "Reclaiming History" was released.

Here's the conversation I had with Steve Barber in 2015 regarding those recordings (plus links to the recordings themselves):

IN A MESSAGE SENT TO STEVE BARBER, DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

Hi Steve,

You mentioned in a Facebook post that you have your taped telephone messages from Vince saved on MP3 files, which I would just love to hear. If you wanted me to do it, I could even make them available for people to hear at my websites. But I totally understand if you prefer to keep those memories just to yourself.

STEVE BARBER SAID:

Hi Dave,

It is my pleasure to share these messages with you! I was thinking I had more of them, but this is what I found on my CDs. You can tell he is really worn out by the sound of his voice on one particular call.

I will leave it up to you to decide whether or not these are fitting for your blog. He was ALWAYS in such a rush, and I don't know how he did it, but you are welcome to use them however you wish.

Take care and thanks so much for your interest in these!

DVP SAID:

Thank you, Steve, for providing these very interesting Vince Bugliosi telephone messages.

These messages were recorded on Steve Barber's telephone answering machine in 2006 and 2007.

I love rare things like this. These phone excerpts are just great, particularly when Vince wants to make absolutely sure exactly what words Steve Barber heard when Steve played that paper record that came out of "Gallery" magazine back in 1979.

Vincent-Bugliosi-Telephone-Messages-Logo-2.png

Edited by David Von Pein

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

David,

Guess what? Neither well known kook Vincent Bugliosi nor "supposed JFK expert" Jim DiEugenio have ANYTHING to say about the role of Lyndon Johnson in the JFK assassination. What Jim did write recently was that as time goes on the case against LBJ for the JFK assassination has gotten weaker and weaker. Which is a ridiculous statement given the revelations by Morris Wolff (on Sen. John Sherman Cooper knowing LBJ did it in real time) and Abraham Bolden's long suppressed anecdote about hearing a VOLCANIC argument between LBJ and the Kennedys in the Oval Office on June 29, 1961 that pertained to Billie Sol Estes and cotton allotments. Bolden was so disturbed by this unhinged behavior of LBJ that he reported Johnson as a security threat to the life of John Kennedy to the Secret Service director Urbanus Baughman.

Abraham Bolden told me he sat on this anecdote, did not include it in his book, until he had received his official pardon from President Biden.

11 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

I'd also enjoy listening to all of these phone calls that Bugliosi made:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Telephone interview of Jack Tatum by author [Vincent Bugliosi] on June 1, 1986

Telephone interview of Ted Callaway by author on May 17, 1986

Telephone interview of James Leavelle by author on August 24, 2006

Telephone interview of Wesley Liebeler by author on December 7, 1999

Telephone interview of Dr. Michael Baden by author on January 8, 2000

Telephone interview of Dr. Cyril Wecht by author on October 7, 2002

Telephone interview of Ruth Paine by author on June 28, 1986

You left off the lost treasure trove last seen in Bugliosi's possession--the unedited transcripts to the mock trial. We've discussed this before, David, but I will publicly declare you to be a great researcher if you can track this down for us. I mean, just think about it. What was it? A 3-day trial, with something like 20 hours of trial transcripts? Edited down to 5 1/2 hours for American TV? God only knows what else was on there, that got cut out...

Edited by Pat Speer