The Education Forum

Zapruder Film Alteration

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dgh02: Interpolated frames? On a optical 'film' printer? Hey listen, I understand how difficult and sore your side feels -- they couldn't BS JCostella, he didn't buy the nonsense -- so, just dig up your own Physicist that can challenge John and give it a whirl -- been 2 going on 3 years now, still NO experts from your side... Just Rollie hiding behind; " Doug Horne must not of understood..." please

Try for a moment to keep up with the discussion David. Who said anything interpolation and optical printers? Is reading beyond you now too? We are not sore, rather highly amused watching you guys spinl down the drain. Who gives a crap abourt Costella and his PhD. Hes a woo woo, PhD and all. Now maybe I understand why he's teaching high school math and not at UM. Like I said maybe he should pick up a camera and provide some emperical evidence as proof of concept. While he's at it perhaps he could even learn about light and shadow. It would be an inprovement.

dgh02: Durnavich showed what? roflmfao! You are behind the times... Loved his Pov-Ray (sign)nonsense though tsk-tsk... Miller? Well we know all about him

He showed what happens whan a camera moves. What did Costella show? Oh yea I remember...that he does not know how a camera works...LOL!

[dgh02: the MPI version, and added the missing frames --

Good for them, too bad thats not what we were discussing. Try to stay on topic.

dgh02: yeah, I know compositing comes from way back, made mention of that somewhere, and of course the black art of motion compositing came from the 'still' world...

Hands on? Well lets see a few pieces your film work, after all if your claiming compositing expertise, I think I can pass judgement on that -- you've done motion work? Post a URL, more than one of us would like to see your 'expertise' in action....

Who needs to show motion? A composite is a composite. And an optical printer is just a device that made doing composites in motion fast, affordable and reasonably accurate. There is nothing "magic" to an optical printer.

Heres one I have online, goes back to 1977. Shot on 8x10 chrome. After the shot the client decided they did'nt like the way the dry ice "smoke" looked in the original so the base with the smoke, water and arrows had to be changed. Since the product was long gone the set was rebuilt without the product and the new background was combined with the furnace in the darkroom. BTW, I did ALL of the work.

http://www.pbase.com/infocusinc/image/37596424

Now its your turn.

dgh02: What's this? mine is bigger than yours? Company's been in the family for 29 years.

Good to know. You are working OPM.

dgh02: bet that composite is digital... LOL

Of course it is. It is 2005 in case you forgot.

BTW who is Owen?

Edited by Craig Lamson

The more I study it, the more I believe FETZER.

The anomalies are problematic.

Why am I not suprised. Fetzer would be your cup-o-tea.

Sounds like you get your tea from the Officer's Club.

Guest Stephen Turner

David Healy wrote: "we're no closer to the "conspiracy' conclusion than we were when Thompson did his work, why the continue cover-up, opinion?"

David, somewhere in your namesakes book "Best Evidence," Lifton describes his frustration at trying to explain the sognificance of the film to Wesley Liebeler et al. Lifton concluded that "the problem is not logical, its psychological." The human mind is the next great frontier of science, and I sincerely hope the answer to your question is coming soon.

In the meantime, I must thank you for inspiring me to figure out the winner of the Kentucky Derby. I predict that it will be (a) an exciting race (:up the best two minutes in sports this year and © that the winner will be a long shot.

It is only appropriate that the winner's name will be CLOSING ARGUMENT.

Ray

"Do not block the way of inquiry" C.S. Peirce

• 2 weeks later...

"In the meantime, I must thank you for inspiring me to figure out the winner of the Kentucky Derby. I predict that it will be (a) an exciting race ( the best two minutes in sports this year and © that the winner will be a long shot.

It is only appropriate that the winner's name will be CLOSING ARGUMENT."

Ray

David, three out of four ain't bad. I bet $3 Win, Place & Show on CLOSING ARGUMENT and collected $134.00. Granted I had two minutes hard work jumping up & screaming, and I had to sing a Stephen Foster song, but I enjoyed it all immensely. I now predict that:

(a) Closing Argument will run in the money in the Preakness in two weeks.

(:ph34r: History will determine that

1. the Zapruder film is basically authentic (splices/missing frames notwithstanding)

2. The film proves that JFK was killed by an exploding bullet fired from the wooden fence on the Grassy Knoll, from the guy shown in the Moorman photo (From memory its page 126 in Josiah Thompson's book).

3. Fetzer will never topple Thompson from the pantheon. Even though Thompson has feet of clay, his contribution to the case will forever be important.

So put that in your pipe & smoke it!

Ray

"Do not block the way of inquiry" C. S. Peirce

J. Raymond Carroll wrote:

"In the meantime, I must thank you for inspiring me to figure out the winner of the Kentucky Derby. I predict that it will be (a) an exciting race ( the best two minutes in sports this year and © that the winner will be a long shot.

dgh01: you can send me via this forum a 15% comission... wasn't that big of a deal, had to be the one with 4 legs -- I accept VISA or MC :ph34r:

It is only appropriate that the winner's name will be CLOSING ARGUMENT."

Ray

David, three out of four ain't bad. I bet $3 Win, Place & Show on CLOSING ARGUMENT and collected $134.00. Granted I had two minutes hard work jumping up & screaming, and I had to sing a Stephen Foster song, but I enjoyed it all immensely. I now predict that:

(a) Closing Argument will run in the money in the Preakness in two weeks.

dgh01: I'll still take the one with 4 legs, I'll narrow it down a bit, this one has a regular length tail

(:ph34r: History will determine that

1. the Zapruder film is basically authentic (splices/missing frames notwithstanding)

dgh01: Authentic? With missing frames? you better get no further than the 2 dollar window Ray, what the hell are you smoking? roflmao!

2. The film proves that JFK was killed by an exploding bullet fired from the wooden fence on the Grassy Knoll, from the guy shown in the Moorman photo (From memory its page 126 in Josiah Thompson's book).

3. Fetzer will never topple Thompson from the pantheon. Even though Thompson has feet of clay, his contribution to the case will forever be important.

So put that in your pipe & smoke it!

dgh01: soon as you find me something authentic, to light it with! roflmao

Ray

"Do not block the way of inquiry" C. S. Peirce

dgh01: you should of seen it on the big screens at the Bellagio in Vegas. If you can't be trackside, the ONLY place to watch the races, is at a Vegas Sports book, period!

David

Edited by David G. Healy

• 7 months later...
The question isn't: did "I" have the technical skills, know-how, and was the equipment available to alter the Z-film in 1963-'64? You know that, don't you? Of course the answer is; there was abundant talent available to do that type of job -- I come a bit later, 7 years later

If that's true Dave, I'm sure you could cite various examples of films made back in '63 - '64 which used composting so undetectably. One reason I find theories of alteration hard to believe is that even decades later composting in big budget Hollywood movies appears faked to the naked eye let alone withstand close scrutiny and frame by frame analysis.

I don't care what some guy wrote in a book, I am interested in actual examples

Shanet - Please fill us in on your experience training in forensic photo analysis or in photography and filmmaking in general

The question isn't: did "I" have the technical skills, know-how, and was the equipment available to alter the Z-film in 1963-'64? You know that, don't you? Of course the answer is; there was abundant talent available to do that type of job -- I come a bit later, 7 years later

If that's true Dave, I'm sure you could cite various examples of films made back in '63 - '64 which used composting so undetectably. One reason I find theories of alteration hard to believe is that even decades later composting in big budget Hollywood movies appears faked to the naked eye let alone withstand close scrutiny and frame by frame analysis.

I don't care what some guy wrote in a book, I am interested in actual examples

Shanet - Please fill us in on your experience training in forensic photo analysis or in photography and filmmaking in general

Hello Len,

I'm sure you've access to SMPTE [society of Motion Picture/Television Engineer] Society monthly periodoicals. They have a lengthy history. SMPE (as it was known before television) first act as a professional society was setting the standards for commercial 35mm film, in 1915. They've published (monthly) continuosly since then. Fielding's book cites SMPE documented compositing examples, hundreds of them. See the index. Any university of stature has them. You might want to read Raymond Fielding's: The Technique of Special Effects Cinematography, Library of Congress Card Catalog #64-8116, 1965. Ray's book was reprinted in '68. A new edition came out within the past 10-15 years. Google the book title.

Lot's of pictures covering the black art of film compositing, how things we're done in the40's, 50's and 60's.

btw, no worries regarding 'forensic' photo analysis credentials regarding Fielding's book - even high school students understand it. Last I heard Fielding still teaches at the university level in Florida somewhere, did some consulting work for KODAK (I think it was KODAK, if I'm wrong sorry, Ray) along the way, too!

Hello Len,

I'm sure you've access to SMPTE [society of Motion Picture/Television Engineer] Society monthly periodoicals. They have a lengthy history. SMPE (as it was known before television) first act as a professional society was setting the standards for commercial 35mm film, in 1915. They've published (monthly) continuosly since then. Fielding's book cites SMPE documented compositing examples, hundreds of them. See the index. Any university of stature has them. You might want to read Raymond Fielding's: The Technique of Special Effects Cinematography, Library of Congress Card Catalog #64-8116, 1965. Ray's book was reprinted in '68. A new edition came out within the past 10-15 years. Google the book title.

Lot's of pictures covering the black art of film compositing, how things we're done in the40's, 50's and 60's.

btw, no worries regarding 'forensic' photo analysis credentials regarding Fielding's book - even high school students understand it. Last I heard Fielding still teaches at the university level in Florida somewhere, did some consulting work for KODAK (I think it was KODAK, if I'm wrong sorry, Ray) along the way, too!

Dave I asked you specificly for examples not references to a book (or by extension a magazine). I'll check my local libraries but I doubt the magazine you refer to is available here (I'm in Brazil remember). May be to convince us all you could scan and post some frames or better yet cite some movies that we could rent at our local video stores. If such techniques were so common you should have no problem citing various examples.

The question of photo analysis creds was directed at Shanet.

Edited by Len Colby