The Education Forum

Bullet hole

That's great, Robin. Rosen was a piece of work. The man was responsible for establishing the physical facts of the assassination, and yet he refused to look at the autopsy report, the photographs or x-rays, and then wrote memos after the fact to try and blame it on the FBI's sensitivity to the Kennedy family. Here we have him following up on a possible hole in the limo, not because it could be important to the case, but because he's scared the WC might ask Hoover about somewhere down the road. Weak.

You wouldn't happen to have a memo with the results of the feebie inquiry with the SS, would you? or did Belmont tell him not to bother?

Edited by Pat Speer

One more reference available at NARA.

Hit 1 of 1

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : FBI

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10011-10497

RECORDS SERIES : HQ

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 105-82555-1ST NR 1282

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : SULLIVAN, W. C.

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 01/07/1964

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : KENNEDY, JOHN, PRESIDENTIAL CAR, HOLE FLOOR PAN

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 08/24/1993

Thanks for the comments Tim.

I'm not sure what the "SOVIET SECTION" is meant to signify.

Pat.

So far i haven't found any copy of the "report" on the possible bullet hole, but i am still looking for it.

Not holding my breath. :)

Hi Lee.

Haven't found any info on the location of the so called "Bullet Hole" yet, still looking.

Robin,

Sorry, I attached the wrong image, you having already included that particular one in your earlier posting. For some reason I can't get the right image to attach.

I'll try to send it privately.

James

No Worries. !

QUOTE:

The "Quick Fix"

In the wake of the assassination, a task force of some thirty experts, from government and outside, assembled to incorporate lessons learned from the tragedy into a new parade car. A committee of six was appointed, including representatives of the Secret Service, the U.S. Army Materials Research Center, Hess & Eisenhardt, and Pittsburgh Plate Glass. The most practical solution, they decided, was to rebuild the X-100.

The White House endorsed the plan. On December 12, the X-100 arrived at the Hess & Eisenhardt Company in Cincinnati, Ohio, the original modifiers of the car. The rebuilding, or "Project D-2" began when the car was officially released by the Warren Commission on December 20.

Dubbed the "Quick Fix," the project resulted in:

-- improved armoring including a permanent metal top to secure the fixed bullet-resistant glass panels,

-- areas re-enforced to accept increased weight of new armor,

-- supplemental air-conditioning unit in the trunk to cool the sealed passenger compartment,

-- retriming of rear compartment,

-- new, hand-built high-compression motor for a 17 percent gain in power.

The "Quick Fix" was completed on May 11, 1964 at a cost of over $500,000, shared by Ford Motor Company, some of their suppliers, and the federal government. A major factor in the cost was the production of the bullet-resistant high-grade "water white" glass by Pittsburgh Plate Glass, estimated at $125,000. The 13 glass panels ranged in thickness from one-inch to 1 13/16-inches -- the rear roof section was the largest piece of bullet-resistant cast glass produced to date, weighing in at around 1,500 pounds. The bullet-resisting process involved sandwiching polycarbonate vinyl between each of five layers of plate glass.

The car's body armor was primarily 3/8-inch titanium steel plate, costing $13,573. Although its strength makes it difficult to cut and shape, the alloy was used behind the rear seat, within the rear doors and quarter panels, the front roof panel and side roof rails. The rear floor was augmented with 1/8-inch HY-100 steel plate, processing a tensile strength of 100,000 pounds-per-square-inch, effective against bombs and mines. Tires were made bullet-resistant by fastening a solid tire to the rim, to be contained within a regular pneumatic tire. The fuel tank was treated was a new flame-suppressant called "Safom," an open-foamed elastomer developed by Firestone.

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/Marsh/Limousine/limo.html

Edited by Robin Unger

One more reference available at NARA.

Hit 1 of 1

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : FBI

RECORD NUMBER : 124-10011-10497

RECORDS SERIES : HQ

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 105-82555-1ST NR 1282

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : SULLIVAN, W. C.

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 01/07/1964

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : KENNEDY, JOHN, PRESIDENTIAL CAR, HOLE FLOOR PAN

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 08/24/1993

Has anyone seen this? I bet that's the report, probably saying nothing. I went to the library today to photocopy the U.S. News article and found that some jerk had ripped it out of the magazine! I did notice that Newsweek and Time that week both ran articles discussing the autopsy report and that both reported the incorrect FBI version of the wounds. In other words, Hoover's FBI was leaking info to implicate Oswald before the WC was ready to reveal anything, and showed their hand by spreading the wrong info. Oops! The Feebies were the feebles.

I also just now noticed that under the reference to Oswald (in the document Robin posted) it states:

IS-  R- Cuba.

Anyone know, or care to speculate, what this means?

Tim .

I beleive it stands for "Internal Security-Russia-Cuba"

re: this document heading.

ce2046.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger