The Education Forum

Carlos Bringuier

John Simkin

We have discussed Carlos Bringuier several times on the JFK Forum. However, I feel he deserves his own thread. He was born in Cuba on 22nd June, 1934. He studied at the University of Havana where he qualified as a lawyer in 1957.

An opponent of Fidel Castro and his government he moved to Guatemala in 1960. He also lived in Argentina before arriving in the United States in February, 1961.

Bringuier joined the Student Revolutionary Directorate (DRE), a militant right-wing, anti-Communist, anti-Castro, anti-Kennedy, group. Bringuier, based in New Orleans, was placed in charge of DRE publicity and propaganda.

On 9th August, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was handing out Fair Play for Cuba leaflets when he became involved in a fight with Bringuier. Oswald was arrested and on 12th August, he was found guilty and fined $10. While in prison he was visited by FBI agent, John L. Quigley. Five days later Oswald debated the issue of Fidel Castro and Cuba with Bringuier on the Bill Stuckey Radio Show.

Investigators discovered further links between Bringuier and Oswald. Bringuier was found in possession of a book, Guidebook for Marines, owned by Oswald. On Oswald's leaflets given out in New Orleans, was the address 544 Camp Street, New Orleans. This was also the address of the office used by Bringuier. It was also around the corner from 531 Lafayette Street, which housed the detective agency run by Guy Banister, another man accused of being involved in the assassination. This raised suspicions that Oswald had been involved in a right-wing conspiracy with Bringuier and Bannister to kill JFK.

Bringuier is the author of two books Network Friday and Operation Judas.

Namebase entry for Carlos Bringuier:

http://www.namebase.org/main1/Carlos-Jose-Bringuier.html

Anson,R. They've Killed the President! 1975 (249-51)

Blumenthal,S. Yazijian,H. Government by Gunplay. 1976 (123, 127)

DiEugenio,J. Destiny Betrayed. 1992 (217-8)

DiEugenio,J. Pease,L. The Assassinations. 2003 (19, 233)

Duffy,J. Ricci,V. The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. 1992 (92-3)

Fensterwald,B. Coincidence or Conspiracy? 1977 (492-4)

Fonzi,G. The Last Investigation. 1993 (55-6, 58, 140)

Furiati,C. ZR Rifle. 1994 (74-5)

Groden,R. Livingstone,H. High Treason. 1990 (309)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (207)

Kantor,S. The Ruby Cover-up. 1992 (378)

LaFontaine,R.& M. Oswald Talked. 1996 (152-60, 162-4, 183, 274-5)

Marrs,J. Crossfire. 1990 (146-7, 257)

Marshall,J... The Iran-Contra Connection. 1987 (127)

Melanson,P. Spy Saga. 1990 (30-1, 37, 64, 66-7)

Morrow,R. First Hand Knowledge. 1992 (209-10, 250)

Newman,J. Oswald and the CIA. 1995 (321-9, 337-9)

Penthouse 1981-10 (180)

Russell,D. The Man Who Knew Too Much. 1992 (389-91, 393, 401-4)

Scott,P.D. Crime and Coverup. 1977 (13-4, 16, 54)

Scott,P.D. Deep Politics. 1993 (81, 91, 251-2)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (111, 361, 371)

Summers,A. Conspiracy. 1981 (300-3, 307-8, 346)

Turner,W. Rearview Mirror. 2001 (148, 152-3, 181)

Weissman,S. Big Brother and the Holding Company. 1974 (122)

Here's Bringuier (sunglasses and blue shirt) flipping the bird to Oswald.

James

A Minor point Richard, it doesn't look like a flip to me , his palm is towards Oseald with fingers relaxed, more like a bye bye ot perhaps be cool. Nice to see a pic of Oswald from another direction than the usual.

Edit :: Rather than clutter topic: reply to Richard : fair enough, that frame doesn't look like it to me, but i believe you .

Edited by John Dolva

Great photo. First time I have seen it. Who took it and how was it acquired? Are you certain it is Oswald? I thought Oswald was also balding in the rear part of his head.

Hi Nick,

It is a film frame. I believe it was taken from a home movie shot by some kid holidaying in New Orleans with his family. The History Channel featured it in a special titled, 'Caught On Tape'. They didn't show all of it however which was most annoying. Yes, it is Oswald and it wasn't much of a brawl with Bringuier at all. More arguing than anything.

And, John, Bringuier did flip him the bird; an energetic one at that.

James

Great photo. First time I have seen it. Who took it and how was it acquired? Are you certain it is Oswald? I thought Oswald was also balding in the rear part of his head.

Hi Nick,

It is a film frame. I believe it was taken from a home movie shot by some kid holidaying in New Orleans with his family. The History Channel featured it in a special titled, 'Caught On Tape'. They didn't show all of it however which was most annoying. Yes, it is Oswald and it wasn't much of a brawl with Bringuier at all. More arguing than anything.

James

Carlos Bringuier is selling his book Red Friday on ebay and I exchanged a couple of emails with him. Perhaps we should invite him to join the Forum.

Hi Nick,

James

Carlos Bringuier is selling his book Red Friday on ebay and I exchanged a couple of emails with him. Perhaps we should invite him to join the Forum.

Good idea, Gary.

He lives in Miami now, doesn't he?

James

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have a copy of Carlos Bringuier's book "Red Friday"?

There is a chronology of Cuban related activity in the book that is short but interesting.

In addition, Bringuier has LHO's USMC Handbook, which he tries to sell every now and then for six figures.

Does anyone have a copy of this USMC Handbook, or know if the Warren Commission made a copy of it or where one can obtain a copy?

BK

There is a chronology of Cuban related activity in the book that is short but interesting.

In addition, Bringuier has LHO's USMC Handbook, which he tries to sell every now and then for six figures.

Does anyone have a copy of this USMC Handbook, or know if the Warren Commission made a copy of it or where one can obtain a copy?

BK

Bill,

I do not have the book but I have several scanned pages from it. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

James

BK

Bill,

I do not have the book but I have several scanned pages from it. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

James

Yes James, the Chronology is only one or two pages - a couple dozen items, but includes some very relevant names and dates.

BK

• 3 years later...

I was recently reading 'The Perfect Assassin' by Jerry Leonard. In it I noticed that Carlos Bringuier Was quoted in Life Magazine (Life, feb 21 1964, 'The Evolution Of An Assassin' Donald Jackson) as saying "I was suspicious of him (Oswald) from the start. But frankly I thought he may be an agent from the FBI or CIA trying to find out what we were up to".

Since the DRE was run by the CIA I am curious to know why Bringuier would think that the CIA was checking up on its own organisation. Or did Bringuer not know that the CIA was behind DRE?

Carlos Bringuier is quoted in the New York Times THE DAY AFTER the assassination that he thought Oswald was working for the CIA. It's on the front page. I have a copy of that paper sitting in a plastic wrapper in my closet. I've always felt that it showed how anyone could figure out the basics of what happened almost immediately. I'm sure a few intelligence folks in Washington freaked out.

So Carlos Bringuier must of contacted the New York times to be in the paper the day after the assassination. I don't think the New York Times would of had time to find out that Carlos had had some contact with Lee Oswald that soon after the assassination.

Wasn't the DRE and maybe Carlos Bringuier and George Joannides instrumental in putting out the 'Lee Oswald was a commie' propaganda, the tape of the debate they had, very soon after the assassination?

Mr Navin, that's so cool. I would love to see a copy smile.gif

Okay, here it is. I pulled it out of the closet and took it out of the plastic cover. Yes, it's the New York Times for Saturday, November 23rd, 1963. "Leftist Accused" is the headline on the top half of the front page. The reporter is Gladwin Hilll.

The quote from Bringuier appears in that article -- but further in the paper where the article continues from the front page onto page 4.

Amazing, huh? Next day, complete "leftist" profile with Bringuier making the intelligence connection.

Then, of course, a couple days later, it's the classic headline: Dallas Citizen Shoots Assassin. The newspaper of record forgot to use the word "alleged" before the word "assassin" in violation of its policies. And I love how Jack Ruby is introduced to the world as a "Dallas citizen" -- what could more innocent than a "Dallas citizen"?

Within a few days, we find out that he's a "nightclub owner." Then, weeks and months later "possible organized crime connections...close to many Dallas police officers."

Aha. Oswald, intelligence-related. Ruby, organized crime-related. 2 lone nuts just wandering through history.