The Education Forum

Philip Agee

John Simkin

John,

Because of the Wilson/Palme affair, I have been thinking a lot about Phil Agee, who was recruited out of Notre Dame by the CIA, and who, I believe, is responsible for the law that make it a crime to knowingly reveal the identity of a CIA agent.

Agee identified not only the agents he knew and worked with, or knew about - like LICOVY3 of Mexico City, a double agent American student from Philadelphia who is suspected by some of being the student "Steve" or "Ed" Keenan who rode Oswald around Mexico City on the back of his motorbike, but others as well. After the agents he exposed were taken out of the field, and the networks he exposed disassembled, he came out with another book that also exposed many agents, though not Welsh - the one he is accused of exposing who was then murdered.

Upon investigation, it was discovered that when replaced, the new CIA agents in embassies abroad merely took over the same offices and phone numbers as their predecessors, so it was no problem for Agee to out their replacements as well.

Agee is still alive, I believe, and his take on the Wilson/Palme affair would be interesting.

BK

Agee is dead and has been for awhile, a hit was performed and he was killed according to a sorce.

Phil Agee died (I believe of cancer) in Cuba a few years ago, but not before Tony Summers talked with him on the telephone to question him about LICOZY 3.

BK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tom Scully

Phillip Agee dies in Cuba

Obit from Sydney Morning Herald this morning:

Death claims the spy who never came in from the cold

January 11, 2008

Page 1 of 2 | Single page

The renegade CIA agent Philip Agee remained a thorn in Washington's side, writes Joe Holley.

Advertisement

PHILIP AGEE, a former undercover officer with the Central Intelligence Agency whose disillusionment with American policy in support of dictatorial regimes prompted him to name 250 agents and reveal CIA secrets, has died in Cuba aged 72.

In his controversial 1975 book, Inside The Company: CIA Diary, Agee detailed the inner workings of US spy operations around the world, but chiefly in Latin America, where he was stationed for eight years during the 1960s.

The CIA, he charged, was interested only in propping up decaying dictatorships and thwarting radical reform efforts. Published in 20 languages, the book also included a 22-page list of purported agency operatives, or about 250 agents.

"That was right in the middle of a political crisis in the United States connected to the war in Vietnam, and the history of the CIA was very much on people's minds," said Thomas Powers, author of Intelligence Wars: American Secret History From Hitler To Al-Qaeda .

"The elementary-school version of American history had always been that the US is always on the side of the good guys, and here comes Philip Agee to tell us it ain't so, and especially in Latin America."

Agee insisted that publishing the names of fellow case officers was a political act in the "long and honourable tradition of dissidence in the United States" and not an act of espionage on behalf of the Soviet Union or any other foreign power. "It was not enough simply to describe what the CIA does," he recalled. "It was important to neutralise the effectiveness of everybody doing it."

Former colleagues and the US Government termed his act treason. The book "caused serious damage to the national security", the State Department said after its publication, and in 1979 the then secretary of state, Cyrus Vance, stripped Agee of his passport.

Prompted in large part by Agee's book, Congress in 1982 passed the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, making it illegal to knowingly divulge the identity of covert CIA officers.

Agee also wrote Dirty Work: The CIA In Western Europe, published in 1978, and On The Run, in 1987, in which he detailed what he said was a CIA campaign to silence him while he was working on his first book.

Agee was born in Tacoma, Florida, attended Jesuit schools and graduated cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in 1956. He told The New York Times in 1974 that the CIA tried to recruit him while he was at Notre Dame. He said no but reconsidered while studying law at the University of Florida.

He began his CIA career in 1960. At the time, he considered himself a "patriot dedicated to the preservation of my country and our way of life", he wrote in Inside The Company.

His first overseas assignment was in Quito, Ecuador. He also worked as an attache during the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City and as a case officer in Montevideo, Uruguay. "My eyes began to open little by little down there," he wrote, "as I began to realise more and more that all of the things that I and my colleagues were doing in the CIA had one goal, that was that we were supporting the traditional power structures in Latin America."

Agee resigned in 1969 and began working on his book while living in Paris. A wealthy young American woman befriended him, he recalled in 1974 without naming her, and gave him a typewriter that began to make peculiar sounds. Taking it apart, he found a complicated assemblage of tiny electronic devices.

After receiving death threats following the book's publication, he moved to London but was expelled after nearly five years. He was also expelled after brief stays in France, the Netherlands, West Germany and Italy. He blamed US pressure.

"I never could determine what the Government wanted from him," Powers said, "but whatever it was they considered him sufficiently important that they chased him around the world for the rest of his life."

Writing in the Los Angeles Times in 2003, Agee described as "dirty politics" the outing of the CIA officer Valerie Plame, whose husband had called into question the Bush Administration's rationale for the Iraq war. His own exposure of CIA officers was different, he claimed, as "the agency was being used to impose a criminal US policy".

His German wife, Giselle Roberge Agee, said he was taken to hospital in Havana in December and underwent surgery for perforated ulcers. He died on January 7. He had lived primarily in Hamburg, but kept a flat in Havana, she said.

The Washington Post; Telegraph, London

http://www.usatoday.com/news/topstories/2008-01-09-2165463514_x.htm

Ex-CIA agent Philip Agee dead in Cuba

Posted 1/9/2008

...His wife, Giselle Roberge Agee, said Agee was hospitalized in Havana on Dec. 16 and underwent surgery for perforated ulcers. He died Monday because of a related infection and his remains were cremated. He is survived by her and two grown sons from a previous marriage....

I know Scott has an excuse, almost everything he posts is from "secret" non-transparent sources, but above this post are displayed two posts within a post, with inaccurate or unattributed descriptions of the cause of Agee's death, and on a thread where just two pages back, attributed information is actually available.

Only my own opinion, and just sayin'.

Edited by Tom Scully

January 11, 2008

The renegade CIA agent Philip Agee remained a thorn in Washington's side, writes Joe Holley.

Advertisement

PHILIP AGEE, a former undercover officer with the Central Intelligence Agency whose disillusionment with American policy in support of dictatorial regimes prompted him to name 250 agents and reveal CIA secrets, has died in Cuba aged 72.

In his controversial 1975 book, Inside The Company: CIA Diary, Agee detailed the inner workings of US spy operations around the world, but chiefly in Latin America, where he was stationed for eight years during the 1960s.

The CIA, he charged, was interested only in propping up decaying dictatorships and thwarting radical reform efforts. Published in 20 languages, the book also included a 22-page list of purported agency operatives, or about 250 agents.

"That was right in the middle of a political crisis in the United States connected to the war in Vietnam, and the history of the CIA was very much on people's minds," said Thomas Powers, author of Intelligence Wars: American Secret History From Hitler To Al-Qaeda .

"The elementary-school version of American history had always been that the US is always on the side of the good guys, and here comes Philip Agee to tell us it ain't so, and especially in Latin America."

Agee insisted that publishing the names of fellow case officers was a political act in the "long and honourable tradition of dissidence in the United States" and not an act of espionage on behalf of the Soviet Union or any other foreign power. "It was not enough simply to describe what the CIA does," he recalled. "It was important to neutralise the effectiveness of everybody doing it."

Former colleagues and the US Government termed his act treason. The book "caused serious damage to the national security", the State Department said after its publication, and in 1979 the then secretary of state, Cyrus Vance, stripped Agee of his passport.

Prompted in large part by Agee's book, Congress in 1982 passed the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, making it illegal to knowingly divulge the identity of covert CIA officers.

Agee also wrote Dirty Work: The CIA In Western Europe, published in 1978, and On The Run, in 1987, in which he detailed what he said was a CIA campaign to silence him while he was working on his first book.

Agee was born in Tacoma, Florida, attended Jesuit schools and graduated cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in 1956. He told The New York Times in 1974 that the CIA tried to recruit him while he was at Notre Dame. He said no but reconsidered while studying law at the University of Florida.

He began his CIA career in 1960. At the time, he considered himself a "patriot dedicated to the preservation of my country and our way of life", he wrote in Inside The Company.

His first overseas assignment was in Quito, Ecuador. He also worked as an attache during the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City and as a case officer in Montevideo, Uruguay. "My eyes began to open little by little down there," he wrote, "as I began to realise more and more that all of the things that I and my colleagues were doing in the CIA had one goal, that was that we were supporting the traditional power structures in Latin America."

Agee resigned in 1969 and began working on his book while living in Paris. A wealthy young American woman befriended him, he recalled in 1974 without naming her, and gave him a typewriter that began to make peculiar sounds. Taking it apart, he found a complicated assemblage of tiny electronic devices.

After receiving death threats following the book's publication, he moved to London but was expelled after nearly five years. He was also expelled after brief stays in France, the Netherlands, West Germany and Italy. He blamed US pressure.

"I never could determine what the Government wanted from him," Powers said, "but whatever it was they considered him sufficiently important that they chased him around the world for the rest of his life."

Writing in the Los Angeles Times in 2003, Agee described as "dirty politics" the outing of the CIA officer Valerie Plame, whose husband had called into question the Bush Administration's rationale for the Iraq war. His own exposure of CIA officers was different, he claimed, as "the agency was being used to impose a criminal US policy".

His German wife, Giselle Roberge Agee, said he was taken to hospital in Havana in December and underwent surgery for perforated ulcers. He died on January 7. He had lived primarily in Hamburg, but kept a flat in Havana, she said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/topstories/2008-01-09-2165463514_x.htm

Posted 1/9/2008

...His wife, Giselle Roberge Agee, said Agee was hospitalized in Havana on Dec. 16 and underwent surgery for perforated ulcers. He died Monday because of a related infection and his remains were cremated. He is survived by her and two grown sons from a previous marriage....

I know Scott has an excuse, almost everything he posts is from "secret" non-transparent sources, but above this post are displayed two posts within a post, with inaccurate or unattributed descriptions of the cause of Agee's death, and on a thread where just two pages back, attributed information is actually available.

Any information I've received thus far came directly from "Pepin", "Bambi", "Tony" or "Nino Diaz".

January 11, 2008

Advertisement

http://www.usatoday....165463514_x.htm

Posted 1/9/2008

Any information I've received thus far came directly from "Pepin", "Bambi", "Tony" or "Nino Diaz".

Did they know David Atlee Phillips or "Maurice Bishop"?

Who was their CIA case officer?

January 11, 2008

Advertisement

http://www.usatoday....165463514_x.htm

Posted 1/9/2008

Did they know David Atlee Phillips or "Maurice Bishop"?

Who was their CIA case officer?

Bender?