The Education Forum

Jack Anderson

John Simkin

In this article linked below, there is mention of a plot to murder Jack Anderson; a conspiracy of sorts from inside Nixon's administration.

Does anyone have any details on this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Jul27.html

James

After some Googling, I found the following written by Don Fulsom.

BTW, I just love the way Liddy leads with his chin.

James

Of all the illegal activities undertaken by President Nixon's secret agents E. Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy, one stands out as particularly sordid — the planned assassination of newspaper columnist Jack Anderson, Nixon's arch foe in the media. Nixon-era stories by Anderson about mobster Johnny Roselli (the Mafia's liaison with the CIA) and various Mob/CIA plots infuriated the president and led to White House discussions about the columnist's murder.

The plot against Anderson came to light in 1975 when The Washington Post reported that — "according to reliable sources" — Hunt told associates after the Watergate break-in that he was ordered to kill the columnist in December 1971 or January 1972. The plan allegedly involved the use of poison obtained from a CIA physician. The Post reported that the assassination order came from a "senior official in the Nixon White House," and that it was "canceled at the last minute . . . "

In an affidavit about a key meeting on the matter with his White House boss, Hunt said Charles Colson "seemed more than usually agitated, and I formed the impression that he had just come from a meeting with President Nixon."

Liddy admitted that he and Hunt had "examined all the alternatives and very quickly came to the conclusion the only way you're going to be able to stop (Anderson) is to kill him . . . And that was the recommendation." Shortly after the Watergate break-in in 1972, Liddy offered to be assassinated himself, if that would help the cover-up. He told White House counsel John Dean: "This is my fault … And if somebody wants to shoot me on a street corner, I'm prepared to have that done." In a 1980 legal case, Liddy testified that there even came a time during the Nixon presidency "when I felt I might well receive" instructions to kill E. Howard Hunt — adding, "I was prepared, should I receive those orders, to carry them out immediately."

___________________________________---

And this man has a radio show!!! Liddy I mean. (Then of course so does "Felon North" ...."Only in America" (Bit of trivia, did you know that this band- "J and the Americans'- preformed at Nixon's convention in 68?)

Lobster is a gret source, and there are plenty of good writers familiar with the CIA/Media info, the problem is getting it published. I would NOT suggest Sy Hesrsh myself, but that's just my opinion. (I consider his trashing jfk book a second murder. The murder of his reputation. )

I will aslo ask around to see if anyone I know has the time and/or inclination to write yet one more JFK related piece, this time the media coverup.

Carl Oglesby's articles are still valid, as are Jerry Policoff's who also wrote on this subject. Marty Schotzs covered it in three pages in his History Will NOt Absolve us. Maybe he'd write an article. I shall ask.

Dawn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting material on how Don Reynold's material was discredited by Anderson. Reynolds would have been a major problem for LBJ if recognized as having legitimate incriminating information.

What most people don't know is that Drew Pearson and Jack Anderson both rented office space for $1.00 a year from I. Irving Davidson, the exclusive importer for Uzis in the U.S. and registered foreign agent for several countries. He was the broker when Jimmy Hoffa loaned Clint Murchison 10 million dollars from Teamster funds to build apartments in Texas. One document refers to him as a 5 percenter.

Ed

Great Post, Welcome to the group. This Irving I. Davidson seems to be mixed up with quite a few suspects. Jack Anderson really appeared to be independent on many of his stories, but at the perimeter of what he knew, who he knew and what he was willing to publish, are some very serious questions, especially in light of the emerging MOCKINGBIRD program files.

John, you are correct about Harvey being the source for some of the information in the 1967 Drew Pearson article.

I found this interesting datum in "Live By the Sword"":

"In the fall of 1968, columnist Jack Anderson submitted a secret report to President-elect George Bush in which he provided more details about his initial 1967 disclosure of the anti-Castro assassination plot's and Robert Kennedy's links to them.  Anderson informed the President [sic] that his sources included not only Johnny Rosselli, but the CIA's William Harvey, as well as other high-ranking Agency officers. Anderson also admitted that he was provided with copies of 'two memos from the CIA's most sensitive files, which summarize the whole operation.'

"The disclosure of Harvey as a source comes as no surpise, because, accotrding to the CIA's own documents, Harvey was professionally associated with the law firm of Rosselli's attorney, Ed Morgan."

The secret Anderson report to President-Elect Bush is found on pages 444-445 of "Live By theSword".  There were several other items in that report that I will be posting in the thread "Did Fidel Do It"

I think Anderson is still alive.  Someone should interview him.  Query what were the two top-secret CIA memos he reviewed (presumably given to him by Harvey)?  Does he still have copies of them?

Now, I was able to add to your comments that your judgment that Harvey was probably a source of some of the information in the 1967 Anderson column was "right on".

Jack Anderson is an interesting character and deserves his own thread. He is still alive but is suffering from Parkinson’s disease. I suspect he will be unwilling to talk to us about the case.

For many years Anderson was considered to be a fearless investigative reporter. I have to admit he was one of my heroes. I first began having doubts about him when I read his biography of Drew Pearson (Confessions of a Muckraker).

Anderson went to work for Pearson after the war. He became his assistant and providing information to Pearson about corrupt politicians and businessmen. Pearson was on the left and refused some of the material Anderson gave him. Some of this information came from Joseph McCarthy who was a friend of Anderson. When McCarthy was discredited Anderson also became one of his critics.

Anderson was also close to LBJ. Pearson thought LBJ was a crook and despite Anderson’s pleas he refused to help him in his campaigns. However, Pearson did agree to call off his investigation of LBJ’s relationship with George and Herman Brown.

When Pearson died Anderson replaced him at the Washington Post. He was considered to be a liberal campaigning journalist. However, his reputation was hurt by the publication of the LBJ tapes. It became clear that Anderson was being used by LBJ to smear his opponents. In most cases Anderson’s stories were true (in many cases they were coming from Hoover), however, they were being used to keep LBJ’s critics quiet. LBJ had files on every person in Congress. Robert Kennedy tells an interesting story of how LBJ tried to use these files on those who were asking questions about the Bobby Baker case in 1963.

I believe that Anderson was CIA. I suspect he was recruited to the secret services while in China during the war. Pearson was the most dangerous investigative journalist in America in the 1940s. It make sense for the security services to infiltrate his operation. Anderson became Pearson’s assistant when he came back from China.

It was Anderson who persuaded Pearson to expose the corruption of Owen Brewster, chairman of the Senate War Investigating Committee was being paid by Pan American Airways (Pan Am) to persuade the United States government to set up an official worldwide monopoly under its control. Brewster was destroyed by these stories. He was obviously corrupt and deserved to go.

However, Brewster was doing some important work investigating corruption in the armaments industry. This included investigating the activities of LBJ's friends in Texas. Brewster was also investigating Howard Hughes who was awarded two contracts, of $18m and $22m each, to create and build two revolutionary aircraft - a giant plywood cargo seaplane that could carry thirty-five tons of men and weapons (HK-1), and a very fast photo-reconnaissance aircraft (F-11). This was the real reason why Hughes wanted to get Bewster.

The information that was used by Pearson to destroy Brewster came from Howard Hughes. As the owner of Trans World Airlines, Hughes posed a serious threat to this plan. Hughes claimed that Brewster had approached him and suggested he merge Trans World with Pan Am. I have now come to the conclusion that Howard was part of the LBJ Texan Network.

Anderson was ideally placed to help LBJ and the CIA with the “Mafia did it” theory ("Plan B"). This he did very well. As I suspected, Anderson was working closely with William Harvey on this. I think he was also working with LBJ in covering up the assassination of JFK.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAandersonJ.htm

Mormon bishop, Jeffrey Willis a long time CIA personal director, while no stranger to public controversy Willis was forced {in one case} to face the cameras personally rather than relying on CIA public relations staff. His comments revealed

that Many other CIA men were LDS Ward members, and that he had sought public relations advise from an old friend, newspaper columnist Jack Anderson himself

a member of the Silver Springs,Maryland, Ward.

Larry Bush, an official at the Agriculture Department explained in 1981 that

Washington Saints 'Mormons' refer to themselves, among themselves, as a

Sisterhood. It's a term with roots at the CIA where the Church is well represented. CIA agents also refer to one another as "Sisters".

George Bush 'Sr' learned to appreciate the Mormon Sisterhood within the larger

CIA Sisterhood when he served as director of Central Intelligence. At that time he worked closely General, Brent Scowcroft at the Ford White House. For Scowcroft

the Bush cabinet-level appointment capped a long carreer serving those at the seat of power from Nixon, Ford and Reagan.

Even before taking the oath of office, Bush named Scowcroft,Roger Porter and Steve Studdert, all Mormons to top White House posts in foreign affairs, domestic policy and political scheduling. The Sisterhood was overjoyed.

While Scowcroft,Porter and Studdert were the most visable Mormons running the government as the Bush administration began, they were three among hundreds,

perhaps thousands of DC Saints with influential positions in the federal government. Furthermore , similar Mormon 'knots' thrive at the state, county and local levels throughout the U.S. .

Mormon elder,James Fletcher, head of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration {NASA}, visited the Sterling Ward House to read a letter

from the Twelve Mormon Church Apostles ordering the Saints to oppose a constitutional amendment.The letter was then sent to Mormon lawmakers on Capitol Hill,Saints on the White House staff,and throughout the federal bureaucracy

killing chances for ratification.

Mormon Political Manifesto.....Saints must consult their ecclesiactical superiors to

obtain permission before accepting Any appointment that might interfere with

their religious duties.

AD ON;

The resulting power elite - a tightly knit, almost exclusively white male assemblage of jurists, journalists, FBI agents, CIA executives, Interior Department managers, Pentagon brass, corporation chiefs, and ranking White House officials. Mormons make up a substantial management of the United States Government.

General Brent Scowcroft {Mormon} is still in there leading the way as a

Senior member of Bush junior's, National Security Team along with other

LDS Church members.

The LDS Mormon church 'long since' secretly sneaked over the crumbling rear wall of 'church-state separation' to become an 'almost invisible' government, the real power behind the so-called American throne, the seats of power.

The question............future liberty

Awake now! alert to sacrifice

Boycott the 'beastly mark' Mormon mastery

To track all persons thoughts and deeds

Boycott this 'all powerful' apostate Masonry

With it's assassins grip ' on all U.S. politics'

Boycott their 'common cause' new century

Buy not.........Sell not...........use not

Boycott it's ' dialectic indignities'

Destroy these ' brute comrades zeal'

Boycott their ' new order' equalitity

Their 'U. N. world' work ethic, slavery

Boycott these chaos-creator's ' pale tyranny '

Who's lackeys in ' lethal power rule'

Boycott ' the plan ' of few to subvert majorities

With ' legislated limits ' on all rights of liberty!

{c} by Harry Dean

Edited by Harry J.Dean

Interesting material on how Don Reynold's material was discredited by Anderson.  Reynolds would have been a major problem for LBJ if recognized as having legitimate incriminating information.

What most people don't know is that Drew Pearson and Jack Anderson both rented office space for $1.00 a year from I. Irving Davidson, the exclusive importer for Uzis in the U.S. and registered foreign agent for several countries.  He was the broker when Jimmy Hoffa loaned Clint Murchison 10 million dollars from Teamster funds to build apartments in Texas.  One document refers to him as a 5 percenter.

Larry Hancock has posted this very interesting information on JFK Lancer.

"Davidson represented not only Hoffa and Murchison but Carlos Marcello as well. And he was well acquainted with Roselli. There is little doubt that Anderson was an unknowing or knowing outlet for the agendas of all these individuals; in fact the conspiracy stories you referred two were taken to Anderson only after Roselli/Davidson failed to "work" them with Earl Warren himself (who refused to deal with them) and the Secret Service (ditto). The exact reason Roslli was shopping the stories is a matter of much debate but they ended up going public via Anderson."

And a bit more on this thread from something I just finished reading:

Io keeping in mind that Anderson was certainly associated with and likely influenced by Davidson, a couple of more comments on Davidson from Dan Moldea's book Interference, page 447.

"Davidson told me he had been first introduced to Marcello during the early 1950's....Davidson also admitted that he was a major gunrunner to dictator Fulgenciao Batista prior to the Cuban revolution..... about two months before Batista fell I delivered a big package to him....Earlier Davidson had arranged for Murchisons principal Corporation (Tecon) to construct several large military housing projects in Cuba."

And Moldea points out that RFK had just started a new Justice Department initiative in 1963 that targeted something near and dear to both Murchison's and Marcello's financial interests - Sports Gambling.

P.S. For those interested in the Baker connection, I think I recall that Tecon, most likely at Murchison's direction, made an offer on Bobby Baker's hotel/club. A rather strange investment for a construction outfit...

• 5 months later...

Namebase entry for Jack Anderson:

http://www.namebase.org/main2/Jack-_28colu...9-Anderson.html

Agee,P. On the Run. 1987 (116, 286-7)

Anderson,J. Peace, War, and Politics. 1999

Bainerman,J. The Crimes of a President. 1992 (181-2, 266)

Bamford,J. The Puzzle Palace. 1982 (287-8)

Bellett,G. Age of Secrets. 1995 (101, 105-6, 110, 157, 179)

Blum,W. Killing Hope. 1995 (349, 351)

Boettcher,R. Gifts of Deceit. 1980 (308)

CIA. Report on Plots to Assassinate Fidel Castro 1967-04-25 (36, 122, 126)

Chamorro,E. Packaging the Contras. 1987 (36)

Colodny,L. Gettlin,R. Silent Coup. 1992 (51)

CounterSpy 1981-01 (18)

Covert Action Information Bulletin 1980-#11 (28)

Covert Action Information Bulletin 1982-#16 (25-6)

Covert Action Information Bulletin 1984-#21 (31)

Covert Action Information Bulletin 1988-#30 (65, 69)

Davis,J. Mafia Kingfish. 1989 (603-5)

Denton,S. Morris,R. The Money and the Power. 2001 (66-7, 71, 294-9)

Donner,F. The Age of Surveillance. 1981 (250)

Drosnin,M. Citizen Hughes. 1985 (419, 425, 427)

Duffy,J. Ricci,V. The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. 1992 (27-8)

Evanzz,K. The Judas Factor. 1992 (288)

Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR). Extra! 1988-12 (14)

Fensterwald,B. Coincidence or Conspiracy? 1977 (524-5)

Fonzi,G. The Last Investigation. 1993 (200-1, 304, 374)

Freed,D. Death in Washington. 1980 (57)

Furiati,C. ZR Rifle. 1994 (109-10, 113)

Goulden,J. The Death Merchant. 1985 (307-9)

Groden,R. Livingstone,H. High Treason. 1990 (323-5, 355-7, 379-80)

Halperin,M... The Lawless State. 1976 (145)

Hawks,J. For a Good Cause? 1997 (88)

Hersh,S. The Price of Power. 1983 (182-3, 470, 478)

Hertsgaard,M. On Bended Knee. 1988 (303-4)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (267-8, 305)

Hougan,J. Secret Agenda. 1984 (70-1, 80, 85-95)

In These Times 1989-08-29 (24)

Inquiry Magazine 1979-03-05 (19-20)

Kilian,M. Sawislak,A. Who Runs Washington? 1982 (105-6, 175-6)

Kurtz,H. Media Circus. 1994 (57-60, 177, 179-80)

Lane,M. Plausible Denial. 1991 (113-4, 123)

Lasky,V. It Didn't Start With Watergate. 1978 (245-6, 262, 266-7, 313)

Liberation Magazine 1977-04 (7)

Loftus,J. Aarons,M. The Secret War Against the Jews. 1994 (298-9)

Mackenzie,A. Secrets: The CIA's War at Home. 1997 (180)

Maheu,R. Next to Hughes. 1993 (160, 321-2)

Morris,R. Partners in Power. 1996 (400)

NameBase NewsLine 1996-01 (1-2)

NameBase NewsLine 1997-04 (6)

Nation 1988-01-09 (2, 21)

New York Magazine 1976-08-16 (31, 36)

Olmsted,K. Challenging the Secret Government. 1996 (72-5)

Parade Magazine 1985-08-11 (10-1)

Parade Magazine 1992-06-14 (10)

Parenti,M. Dirty Truths. 1996 (78)

Parenti,M. Inventing Reality. 1993 (67)

Penthouse 1995-07 (36, 67)

Pepper,W. Orders to Kill. 1995 (119-20)

Petrusenko,V. The Monopoly Press. 1976 (128-30)

Piper,M.C. Final Judgment. 1993 (251-2, 258-60)

Powell,S. Covert Cadre. 1987 (106-7, 219)

Randle,K. Conspiracy of Silence. 1998 (vii, viii)

Rasor,D. The Pentagon Underground. 1985 (70)

Richelson,J. The Wizards of Langley. 2001 (210)

Riebling,M. Wedge. 1994 (239)

Rodriguez,F. Weisman,J. Shadow Warrior. 1989 (47-9, 261)

Russell,D. The Man Who Knew Too Much. 1992 (641-2)

Sampson,A. The Sovereign State of ITT. 1974 (194-5, 214-5, 219)

Scheim,D. Contract on America. 1988 (38, 103)

Scott,P.D. Crime and Coverup. 1977 (23-33, 38, 47)

Scott,P.D. Deep Politics. 1993 (116, 231, 237)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (401, 487-9)

Seagrave,S. The Marcos Dynasty. 1988 (451)

Seagrave,S.& P. Gold Warriors. 2003 (185)

Sergeyev,F. Chile: CIA Big Business. 1981 (124-5)

Seven Days Magazine 1977-04-11 (16)

Sick,G. October Surprise. 1991 (25-6)

Spotlight Newspaper 1997-03-17 (12)

Stich,R. Russell,T.C. Disavow: A CIA Saga of Betrayal. 1995 (269)

Summers,A. Official and Confidential. 1993 (364, 390-1, 410, 413-4, 417-8)

Summers,A. The Arrogance of Power. 2000 (111, 197, 407, 413, 415)

Thomas,E. The Man to See. 1991 (133-4, 372)

Thomas,E. The Very Best Men. 1996 (330)

Turner,W. Hoover's FBI. 1993 (xviii, 120-1, 306)

Turner,W. Rearview Mirror. 2001 (19, 141-2, 204, 291)

Tyson,J. Target America. 1981 (137-8, 192)

Vankin,J. Whalen,J. The 60 Greatest Conspiracies. 1998 (27, 149)

Washington Post Magazine 1990-06-10 (21-6, 40, 42-4, 46-50)

Washington Post 1991-10-15 (E1, 8)

Washington Post 1991-11-21 (D1, 4)

Webb,G. Dark Alliance. 1998 (327-8)

Wilcox,D.A... The Right Guide. 1993 (63)

• 5 months later...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051217/ap_on_...t_jack_anderson

I've seen him mentioned frequently on this forum. As such, I thought it appropriate to bring this subject up. Personally, I always appreciated Anderson's column.

Anderson was a muckraker, in the best sense of the word. Too bad he got too close to some of his subjects, i.e. Rosselli and Sturgis. If he hadn't, who knows, he may have broken the case back in the seventies.

I have merged this thread with an earlier one on Jack Anderson. This thread is linked to my page on Jack Anderson. As it is ranked number one at Google when you type in "Jack Anderson", it will mean that your thoughts on this very complex figure will get a great deal of public exposure.

I plan to take a look at different aspect of Jack Anderson's career over the next couple of days. First of all I want to look at his wartime experiences.

In 1943 Anderson enrolled in the Merchant Marine officers training school. After seven months he persuaded the Deseret News to accredit him as a foreign correspondent in China. Acccording to Anderson he was supposed to write "stories about hometown heroes gone to war". He disliked this work and managed to get involved with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The OSS sent Anderson to contact a band of Chinese Nationalist guerrillas fighting the Japanese Army (photograph below). Soon afterwards Anderson met Chou En-lai and wrote about his activities for the Associated Press.

In 1945 Anderson joined the United States Army in Chunking. He first served in the Quartermaster Corps and then wrote for Stars and Stripes. He also did some reporting for the Armed Forces Radio. According to Anderson (Confessions of a Muckraker) he thinks it was Spencer Moosa of the Associated Press in 1947 who suggested that Anderson should try and get a job with Drew Pearson, who at the time worked for the Washington Post. Sure enough, Pearson gave Anderson a job as his assistant. However, Anderson soon became an important source of information for Pearson (more about that later).

However, was it really Spencer Moosa who suggested that there might be a job with America’s leading investigative journalist? Is it just a coincidence that Phil Graham became the leading figure at the Washington Post in 1946 (appointed by his father-in-law, Eugene Meyer). Graham was of course also in the OSS in South-East Asia during the war. It was in the OSS when he met Frank Wisner who went onto to establish Operation Mockingbird. Graham was the key media figure in Mockingbird. Was it Graham who recruited Anderson? It is interesting that most of the early stories that Anderson brought to Drew Pearson concerned military intelligence.

Anderson helped influence the 1972 presidential election by falsely reporting that McGovern's VP choice, Tom Eagleton, had been arrested several times for DWI. This information cast both candidates in a very bad light. The accurate information of Eagleton's emotional problems was also wrtitten about by Anderson, forcing McGovern to drop Eagleton from the ticket.

Dawn

I plan to take a look at different aspect of Jack Anderson's career over the next couple of days. First of all I want to look at his wartime experiences.

In 1943 Anderson enrolled in the Merchant Marine officers training school. After seven months he persuaded the Deseret News to accredit him as a foreign correspondent in China. Acccording to Anderson he was supposed to write "stories about hometown heroes gone to war". He disliked this work and managed to get involved with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The OSS sent Anderson to contact a band of Chinese Nationalist guerrillas fighting the Japanese Army (photograph below). Soon afterwards Anderson met Chou En-lai and wrote about his activities for the Associated Press.

In 1945 Anderson joined the United States Army in Chunking. He first served in the Quartermaster Corps and then wrote for Stars and Stripes. He also did some reporting for the Armed Forces Radio. According to Anderson (Confessions of a Muckraker) he thinks it was Spencer Moosa of the Associated Press in 1947 who suggested that Anderson should try and get a job with Drew Pearson, who at the time worked for the Washington Post. Sure enough, Pearson gave Anderson a job as his assistant. However, Anderson soon became an important source of information for Pearson (more about that later).

However, was it really Spencer Moosa who suggested that there might be a job with America’s leading investigative journalist? Is it just a coincidence that Phil Graham became the leading figure at the Washington Post in 1946 (appointed by his father-in-law, Eugene Meyer). Graham was of course also in the OSS in South-East Asia during the war. It was in the OSS when he met Frank Wisner who went onto to establish Operation Mockingbird. Graham was the key media figure in Mockingbird. Was it Graham who recruited Anderson? It is interesting that most of the early stories that Anderson brought to Drew Pearson concerned military intelligence.

-------------------------------------

Jack Anderson served with O.S.S. Detachment # 202 in China. He served under Col. Paul Helliwell, who as a CIA asset attorney, helped set up the "Castle Bank Operation" in Nassau, The Bahamas.

[One of my assets, Norman Casper, Key Biscayne, FL -- penetrated this operation for the I.R.S. Intelligence Division, which was the agency I worked under, while liaising with the So. Fla. Drug Interdiction Task Force. The title was changed to the "Vice Prez's TF" when Bush #41 opted to take cxontrol !! (Drug Interdiction Ops

- 1970s - 1980s)]

While the O.S.S. "Europe" teams were recruited into Wisner's O.P.C., the WWII veterans who later became ("in the the majority") the CIA's "Clandestine Service" -- were recruited from O.S.S. Detachment # 101 ("Behind the Burma Road"). The JM/ATE "BOP" boss, Jake Esterline was a Captain in Det. #101 for 2+ years.

Jack Anderson served alongside Capt. John Birch, Capt. Mitchell L. WerBell III, S/Sgt. Robert Emmett Johnson, USMC, Major John Singlaub, Lt. Roger Hillsman, et al. !!

Chairs,

GPH