The Education Forum

Mary's Manifesto

Although not in her lifetime, Mary Ferrell was confident that the assassination of JFK would not remain an enigma and someday be solved. At one conference she summoned me to her room and when we talked she told me that the crime wouldn't be solved by network reporters or Pulitizer prizing winning journalists, but by all of the work of the independent researchers collectively.

Here's what she said at a Dallas conference over a decade ago. - BK

Mary Ferrell – October 6, 1992, Dallas, Texas.

As the 30th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy descends on us, I am much concerned that we are on the threshold of a failure from which there will be no forgiveness.

We must WIN this struggle for the truth…and do so very quickly, lest the assassination of President Kennedy flounder on some remote shoulder of the highway, in a century who’s history is already on the way to the printer. In the next century, this case could be relegated to obscure questions on high school history examinations.

If tomorrow’s newspapers reported having uncovered complete particulars concerning a new cast of conspirators and their motivations for assassinating President Abraham Lincoln – with John Wilkes Booth reduced to a pawn in the hands of a group of highly placed officials, would it have much of an impact? I think not. In another decade, Lee Harvey Oswald may seem as remote to the younger generation as John Wilkes Booth does to us today.

Time is our most relentless and uncompromising enemy. What happens during this conference can make a difference. Of course we will be scoffed at and demeaned by the media and the wagging fingers of Warren Commission survivors, scolding us for refusing to believe the conclusions of those honorable men. Privately they are beginning to worry.

In a recent issue of U.S. News & World Report, it was reported that seven members of the Warren Commission’s staff held a meeting in Washington in early August of this year to discuss how best to defend themselves and their report.

With the help of the establishment media, our detractors will again refer to us as “conspiracy junkies” who delight in conclaves such as this; a fringe group which would be better off availing themselves of treatment for emotional disorders, instead of working to solve a case which, according to them, was solved long ago.

History teaches us that significant changes are often accomplished by small numbers of people, facing large odds. Many of them have succeeded in defiance of the government. Thomas Paine, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Washington and their followers represented a tiny fraction of this country’s population. In the early years of their protests against British Rule, they were considered by many, especially “the government”, to be disloyal, malcontents, motivated by vile goals.

They were a distasteful joke in the face of King George’s authority and his vast legions, including so-called “loyalists” who applauded the British for hanging a school teacher named Nathan Hale. In case King George’s legions have forgotten, Washington and his followers WON that fight.

Earlier in this century, on August 23, 1927, the State of Massachusetts electrocuted Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Banzetti, Italian immigrants and anarchists, who were convicted of murdering a security guard during a robbery in East Braintree. A tremendous controversy ensued, challenging the validity of their guilt – before, during and after they were executed. Supporters of Saacco and Vanzetti were called “malcontents,” “zealots,” “agitators,” and “bleeding hearts.”

Fifty years later, on July 19, 1977, Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis issued an official proclamation apologizing to the families of Sacco and Vanzetti who, it had been discovered, were innocent of the crime for which they had been put to death.

The roster of those who have traveled the highway of dissent, alone, is one we should review:

- For denying his daughter admission to a public school, Oliver Brown took the Topeka, Kansas, Board of Education all the way to the United States Supreme Court…ending segregation in public schools.

- Rosa Parks, a weary black women who refused to change her seat during a bus ride in Selma, Alabama…challenged the ordinance which relegated her to the back of the bus…and won.

- An obscure minister named Martin Luther King, from the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, preached non-violent civil disobedience against intolerance…and won.

- A small band of idealists, called “Freedom Riders” appeared powerless in the face of millions of segregationists, the governors of several states…police wielding tear gas, wholesale arrests, murders, brutal beatings, and “Bull” Conner with his attack dogs….but the Freedom Riders finally won that one, too.

- In the early days of Vietnam, anti-war demonstrators, numbering far less than one percent of our population, took to the streets and ignited a movement which ended the career of Lyndon Johnson and finally, the war itself. They were labeled “peacenicks,” “beatnicks” and “traitors,” but they too, finally won.

- Two obscure reporters for the Washington Post wrote stories related to a bizarre burglary at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington D.C. They accused high officials at the White House, the Justice Department, and the Committee to Re-Elect President Richard M. Nixon of inspiring the burglary, obstruction of justice, illegal break-ins, illegal wiretaps, perjury and a plethora of other serious crimes. The perseverance of those two reporters – Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein – eventually brought down the administration of Richard Nixon and forced him to resign.

- The grandson of Italian immigrants became a lawyer – who lost 41 out of 42 cases. He became a prosecutor and finally a Federal Judge. He presided over the Watergate trial and stood up to the President of the United States, forcing the President to release his papers and secretly recorded tapes. He died in August of this year, at 89 years of age, still insisting that the system works. His name was John J. Sirica.

If you think the group assembled here today seems small, you should have been with me in 1967 and 1968 during the first meetings I participated in on this subject. Sylvia Meagher, Penn Jones, Jr., Harold Weisburg, Bud Fensterwald and I would sit in my living room or in my kitchen arguing about what we should argue about – and wondering if we would ever reach the public with our research. We didn’t have computers or fax machines, or, certainly in my case, much money.

For those of you who managed to attend this conference, I have every confidence that you are representative of millions who share our views. Please be assured that we CAN make a difference.

In the echelons of the Federal government and the establishment media, we who are assembled here are referred to as “conspiracy buffs,” “nuts,” “kooks,” “profiteers,” “charlatans,” just plain “crazies,” ….or all of the above. Remember the roster of those who have gone before us, and let’s consider ourselves in good company.

Time magazine got so alarmed with one of us a while back, they reviewed his movie without seeing it! Maybe that’s what they mean by the phrase, “a landmark in American journalism.” Jim Garrison wrote something in A Heritage of Stone that summed up my feelings about the Time article when he wrote: “First we executed the suspect (Oswald) and then we held the trial.” That was a considerable departure from what was being taught in our law schools.

That we hotly dispute one another’s theories about this case is of small consequence, weighed against our common belief that the election of our President was nullified with bullets, instead of ballots.

That is what keeps us united in our cause.

That is what, according to the polls, is a view which is shared by the overwhelming majority of our fellow citizens,….that a conspiracy and a government-sponsored cover-up, blotted out the rights of our citizens and the sanctity of the rule of law.

And that is what will forever be paramount among all of the issues which continually dog our deliberations. Issues about autopsy photos, magic bullets, pictures of Oswald which are obviously not Oswald, numbers and styles of coffins, and all of the other issues, cannot eclipse the ultimate violation of the rights of citizens in a democracy designed for the people….NOT for the convenience of elected officials and their appointees.

In the forward to Accessories After the Fact, Sylvia Meagher wrote:

“On the day of the assassination the national climate of arrogance and passivity in the face of relentless violence – beatings, bombings, and shootings – yielded in some quarters to a sudden hour of humility and self-criticism. The painful moment passed quickly, for the official thesis of the lone, random assassin destroyed the impulse for national self-scrutiny and repentance.”

A few paragraphs latter Sylvia wrote:

“Few people who have followed the events closely – and who are not indentured to the Establishment – conceive of the Kennedy assassination as anything but a political crime. That was the immediate and universal belief on November 22 before the opinion-makers got to work endorsing the official explanation of the complex mystery as Gospel and entreating all good citizens to do the same.”

Sylvia wrote those words in December of 1966.

If we are truly living in the land of the free and the home of the brave, we’d better damn well prove it now, by forcing a just resolution to an event which occurred on a public street within easy view of the building we are gathered in today.

Thank you.

Mary Ferrell

Edited by William Kelly

Although not in her lifetime, Mary Ferrell was confident that the assassination of JFK would not remain an enigma and someday be solved. At one conference she summoned me to her room and when we talked she told me that the crime wouldn't be solved by network reporters or Pulitizer prizing winning journalists, but by all of the work of the independent researchers collectively.

Mr. Kelly: In these two sentances you have encapsulated the philosophy of C.S. Peirce, America's greatest philosopher. Mary Ferrell was directly in the Peircean tradition and one of my all-time favorite memories is chatting with Mary for a few precious moments at Lancer's NID 1999.

Best wishes.

Ray

One of the last acts that Pres. Kennedy did was on the shoulder of the Highway. He was warned on that so I have heard NOT TO DO THE JFK HIGHWAY. Some didn't want a road to open up from Maine to the Florida Keys. Why manybe it was thought to be the act of taking JFK life in Florida first then dropped it. Some remote part of the hightway. It is so SICK AND SO SAD ON THAT REMOTE PART OF THE HIGHWAY. Barely a stone to show where JFK Stood. A sign to say JFK RESEARCH on one of the cut off's of the highway. Yet barely anyone knows this is where a great man stood to name this highway to be opened that so many use on the Eastern side of USA to make travel faster and easier to get to large cities.

A threat on his life interesting that Mary would have named this since not to many use this threat or even know of it. Hardly ever named on the forums even as if to push this one issue aside just like the road when passing it is pushed so much to the side. The location on the highway is between MD and DE in the states. Oh there is a small building off of the highway of a conforance hall and that is about it. Has nothing to do with JFK research though. It is listed on a paper of where JFK was prior and you know what else I heard that when JFK did the opening ceremony to the highway NOT MANY PEOPLE WERE EVEN THERE TO HEAR HIM ON THE HIGHWAY JUST A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE. As if to even push it away in our own local area.

You know it gave me a strange feeling and who was it who did own that area in which to give the threat to JFK or the opening and who is it that is big in the area? Why it is Duponts, of course. That whole area is horseman's area and they are with the Duponts. I have wondered on and about the Duponts involvement for a long time. Still do?

As far as Mary opening up on something she knows full well will never come out is well well well how could she NOT KNOW THIS? Easy when you rig and fix things so they can't come out. That is how. Get rid of some papers here and there but she is not correct it will come out with or without her non help for it to come out. She can't stop it anymore and she won't have the power to do so is what I hope for and have to say.

Dupont's wanted JFK out of sight too and I am not sure why, it was overheard once at a race track. So if anyone has any insight on this love to hear it.

Bill, Thank You for posting this, it is, besides one of the most eloquent statements to 'what ostensibly motivates us', (or at least should be) very timely; in light of the fact that her online database may be the most significant plus to emerge in JFK research in the last decade. I am sure I will have my critics in saying so, but if every 'JFK researcher' was a registered member of maryferrell.org and 'we' operated more as an integrated unit, in the endeavor, the 'mystery surrounding the assassination' will soon no longer be a mystery.

We must WIN this struggle for the truth…and do so very quickly, lest the assassination of President Kennedy flounder on some remote shoulder of the highway, in a century who’s history is already on the way to the printer. In the next century, this case could be relegated to obscure questions on high school history examinations.

Interesting that Mary would state this up on top. What they hoped would pinpoint what JFK did to agravate people in his decision of opening the highway. Yet, not talked about into any debate on JFK for reasons why JFK got shot. Just is not named. Yet, it is on records. Sort of that is. As to how Mary knew it was REMOTE now that is really shocking since she probably never went there never saw it on the news or barely and since not many people were even there to view this act being done. Rare that they didn't openly announce this ahead of time so a large crowd would draw near JFK to be near the president. Just a handful of people were there.

Odd that it is so kept so silent to this day and YET MARY KNEW THIS FACT. Open up what is behind that point and you got a handful of information.

DUPONT OH YEAH

BUSH

JOHNSON

TEXAS BUSINESS'S

How much was Mary's hands tied? Maybe she was on many rights tracks but her hands were so very tied and someone needs to tell it about that on her. OPEN UP

Interesting that Mary would state this up on top. What they hoped would pinpoint what JFK did to agravate people in his decision of opening the highway. Yet, not talked about into any debate on JFK for reasons why JFK got shot. Just is not named. Yet, it is on records. Sort of that is. As to how Mary knew it was REMOTE now that is really shocking since she probably never went there never saw it on the news or barely and since not many people were even there to view this act being done. Rare that they didn't openly announce this ahead of time so a large crowd would draw near JFK to be near the president. Just a handful of people were there.

Odd that it is so kept so silent to this day and YET MARY KNEW THIS FACT. Open up what is behind that point and you got a handful of information.

DUPONT OH YEAH

BUSH

JOHNSON

TEXAS BUSINESS'S

How much was Mary's hands tied? Maybe she was on many rights tracks but her hands were so very tied and someone needs to tell it about that on her. OPEN UP

"We must WIN this struggle for the truth…and do so very quickly, lest the assassination of President Kennedy flounder on some remote shoulder of the highway, in a century who’s history is already on the way to the printer. In the next century, this case could be relegated to obscure questions on high school history examinations."

"lest the assassination of President Kennedy flounder on some remote shoulder of the highway"

Nancy -

Mary was using the expression, "lest the assassination of President Kennedy [be left to] flounder on some remote shoulder of the highway", as a metaphorical analogy of what might happen to the memory of his assassination should the event be allowed to be forgotten from the collective memory of the citizens of the United States, over the passage of time. Similar to the saying, "Out of sight, out of mind." She wasn't referring to any actual or specific place, or location on a map.

"One of the last acts that Pres. Kennedy did was on the shoulder of the Highway. He was warned on that so I have heard NOT TO DO THE JFK HIGHWAY. Some didn't want a road to open up from Maine to the Florida Keys. Why manybe it was thought to be the act of taking JFK life in Florida first then dropped it. Some remote part of the hightway. It is so SICK AND SO SAD ON THAT REMOTE PART OF THE HIGHWAY. Barely a stone to show where JFK Stood. A sign to say JFK RESEARCH on one of the cut off's of the highway. Yet barely anyone knows this is where a great man stood to name this highway to be opened that so many use on the Eastern side of USA to make travel faster and easier to get to large cities."

Nancy -

Are you by any chance referring to I-95?

Do you not see or understand that this statement you made [above] only reinforces the problems Mary was discussing regarding the trouble the research community faces in going up against the Eastern Establishment which BTW, has already "bought and paid for" these mass media conglomerates [please be referred to John Simkins' thread on Operation Mockingbird]? And, how these commercial media outlets relish in labelling those of us who don't accept the Warren Commission's Report as, "conspiracy buffs", "malcontents", or "the unpatriotic lunatic 'commie' fringe." You've just happened to have proven them correct and added more fuel to their fire with that above post of yours.

Do you not understand or realize how your post comes across to the student body here, on this forum? Please try to read more carefully and thoroughly before replying to a post such as this one, of Bill Kelly's.

Edited by Terry Mauro

I 95 is JFK highway YES Terry.

It is also on his schedule as to being JFK last act of doing and YES it is on some remote and you and or anyone else can not undo what is in black and while already written down.

It is thought and told somewhere that JFK was in fact threatened if he does do the highway it was NOT wanted to be done.

Now Terry there is not anything wrong in that of what I wrote it is historical facts.

If you don't know about it then I suggest you look it up and yes any student can do so as well. I have the listing of JFK schedule got it from NARA and long time ago posted it up on Lancer.

It is also considered to be and in fact is a remote area of which area he for some reason choose to stand to open the highway. I think if I do remember what I was told that was the ONLY PLACE they would let JFK stand to do it. Not any Landmark around it even just a river front not far away.

No, I don't take that remark at all coming from Mary as to be just a comment with no meanting behind it at all. She meant what she said.

It is also on his schedule as to being JFK last act of doing and YES it is on some remote and you and or anyone else can not undo what is in black and while already written down.

It is thought and told somewhere that JFK was in fact threatened if he does do the highway it was NOT wanted to be done.

Now Terry there is not anything wrong in that of what I wrote it is historical facts.

If you don't know about it then I suggest you look it up and yes any student can do so as well. I have the listing of JFK schedule got it from NARA and long time ago posted it up on Lancer.

It is also considered to be and in fact is a remote area of which area he for some reason choose to stand to open the highway. I think if I do remember what I was told that was the ONLY PLACE they would let JFK stand to do it. Not any Landmark around it even just a river front not far away.

No, I don't take that remark at all coming from Mary as to be just a comment with no meanting behind it at all. She meant what she said.

Well Hi Nancy,

Let me clarify a few things if I may. Terry is absolutely correct. "Standing on the shoulder" of the highway as cars pass by is a metaphor, a euphemism of sorts, that indicates life passing you by. Mary's statement has nothing to do with I95 or any other highway.

You are partially correct however, in that a 50 mile portion of I95 in Maryland is called the "JFK Highway". Local towns and counties do that quite often in the US. There's a portion of a state highway in my area that the county named "Veterans Memorial Highway", but still has its number designation. It's just a political thing in the local area. The entire I95 isn't the JFK Highway however, just that 50 mile stretch.

Mary's statement HAD meaning, in that we need to get moving on this case or it will pass us by, just as cars pass by someone standing on the shoulder of a highway.

RJS

Well Hi Nancy,

Let me clarify a few things if I may. Terry is absolutely correct. "Standing on the shoulder" of the highway as cars pass by is a metaphor, a euphemism of sorts, that indicates life passing you by. Mary's statement has nothing to do with I95 or any other highway.

You are partially correct however, in that a 50 mile portion of I95 in Maryland is called the "JFK Highway". Local towns and counties do that quite often in the US. There's a portion of a state highway in my area that the county named "Veterans Memorial Highway", but still has its number designation. It's just a political thing in the local area. The entire I95 isn't the JFK Highway however, just that 50 mile stretch.

Mary's statement HAD meaning, in that we need to get moving on this case or it will pass us by, just as cars pass by someone standing on the shoulder of a highway.

RJS

"Mary's statement HAD meaning, in that we need to get moving on this case or it will pass us by, just as cars pass by someone standing on the shoulder of a highway."

Thanks, Rich. Good to see you here, today.

Ter

How little you both know from this area..........

Sorry this time I know where JFK stood the area and also how few were there the day that JFK said a few words to open the highway. Also how sad because just like the lack of what you know on that day it still is to this day so it is not your faults but the ones that would like little known on it.

LIke it was hardley in the news and I did have the gifted insight to meed someone who was there to see the event. From that person and others I did learn more. So, NO TERRY AND SMITH YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME ON HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW ON ONE OF THE PRESIDENTS LAST EVENTS IN LIFE TO DO THAT WAS SO SAD IN MANY WAYS> IT IS A LITTLE OUT OF THE WAY SPOT AND NOT MUCH FORMED AFTER THE EVENT AS IT SHOULD HAVE.

I think I have this one right.

Sorry this time I know where JFK stood the area and also how few were there the day that JFK said a few words to open the highway. Also how sad because just like the lack of what you know on that day it still is to this day so it is not your faults but the ones that would like little known on it.

LIke it was hardley in the news and I did have the gifted insight to meed someone who was there to see the event. From that person and others I did learn more. So, NO TERRY AND SMITH YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME ON HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW ON ONE OF THE PRESIDENTS LAST EVENTS IN LIFE TO DO THAT WAS SO SAD IN MANY WAYS> IT IS A LITTLE OUT OF THE WAY SPOT AND NOT MUCH FORMED AFTER THE EVENT AS IT SHOULD HAVE.

Go away.

Yes Nancy, JFK dedicated I95 in Maryland(it was a week prior to Dallas, did you know THAT?). And only that 50 mile section in Maryland was renamed the JFK Memorial Highway. You missed the whole point of Mary Ferrell's words.

http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/servlet/d.../JFKHighway.jsp

JKF wanted the highway opened from Maine to Flordia keys. THEY DIDN'T WANT IT AND YES THEY GAVE JFK A HARD TIME OVER IT. What did I say Richard?

You miss the whole points of both stories of what Mary opens up a section of her words to be the most to get ones attention at the beginning of her talk. To what I have said. But what the heck, you are a know it all. So go to it again Richard and show what you know or don't know or put down or pick up.

Richard if you also saw I said I have the chart of his schedule and it was posted up on Lancer some time back. SO YES I DO HAVE IT AND I SAID THE LISTINGS OF IT. DE AND MD BOURDER FL> THEN DALLAS ON THE LISTINGS> THE SIGNING OF THE PAPERS TO JFK HIGHWAY WHICH WAS DONE WAS JUST BEFORE HE WENT TO DALLAS IT WAS JFK'S LAST ACT.

THEY GAVE HIM WHERE HE WAS TO SAND A WAY OUT OF THE WAY AREA.

You know the most important thing I could say to this is this.

(IT IS A SHAME OF WHAT YOU WOULD SEE IF YOU GO DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND SEE AND KNOW WHERE JFK STOOD AND THERE IS NOT MUCH TO SHOW OF THAT LAST ACT AND OR EVEN THAT JFK STOOD THERE) A stone one can barely see nothing much that anyone even knows it is there and or what it is about. SAD RICHARD VERY SAD

Now DO YOU GET MY POINTS?

The Newark Exit, then the Elkton Exit, then The Perryville exit off of I-95 up further is the JFK RESEARCH EXIT and that is what it is called up close to the Susquehanna River. What a name for an exit? That is just it. The buiding you are reference to is just a conforance hall and restuarant that is it. Not a park not any mouments at all to JFK and what that was about. If in the middle of the road is a written part detailing the moment it is SMALL letters and so much there is not one thing that anyone passing could read even ONE word of it. NOTHING JUST A RUN A MUCK and nothing more.

TRY MORE LIKE A SICK JOKE ON JFK OK. Now if you don't understand that how much more can I make it clearer to you. What Mary did there is something for a change I actually clap my hands to her on that action of what she just did and said. SHE MADE ONE HELL OF A GOOD POINT TO KOCK SOMEONE OFF THEIR FEET AND FOR ONCE I DO SAY SHE IS IN THE RIGHT TO DO SO. TO ME SHE IS MAKING ONE MAJOR AND GOOD POINT TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT I DON"T CARE THAT IS UP TO YOU. BUT LEARN MORE ON IT WOULD BE BETTER.

Oh one more thing from our area NO ONE CALLS IT JFK HIGHWAY HERE AT ALL IT IS JUST I 95. I did however find out by word of mouth but even they always call it I95.

Just a highway and who cares how it got done. The opening of the highway to that area and just being that area was not what was said by JFK the day he stood there RIchard. It was to be more an opening of the Florida Keys to Maine.

Now if anyone has any photos of JFK standing there I would LOVE TO SEE THE RARE PHOTO"S That would be worth looking for, don't you think?

Mary's comments have been Hijacked down JFK Highway, and I'd like to bring them back on track.

Mary Ferrell said, "Of course we will be scoffed at and demeaned by the media and the wagging fingers of Warren Commission survivors, scolding us for refusing to believe the conclusions of those honorable men. Privately they are beginning to worry.

In a recent issue of U.S. News & World Report, it was reported that seven members of the Warren Commission’s staff held a meeting in Washington in early August of this year to discuss how best to defend themselves and their report.

With the help of the establishment media, our detractors will again refer to us as “conspiracy junkies” who delight in conclaves such as this; a fringe group which would be better off availing themselves of treatment for emotional disorders, instead of working to solve a case which, according to them, was solved long ago."

Mary Ferrell

This meting of the seven Warren Commission staff met in Washington D.C. around the same time we formed COPA - the Coalition on Political Assassinations, except when I inquired about the meeting of Warren Commission lawyers, I was told that they raised a quick $30 million for a decade long media campaign. Then I learned that Gerald Posner, Sly Hersch and Norman Blackmailer each got $5 million over the course of five years to write books about the assassination.

These same people have the support of such foundations as the Miller Center and Dumbarton Oaks, while we have the AARC, which is currently leasing storage space and is inaccessable to researchers.

They have establishment research centers, $30 million to spend on propaganda and all the media assets they need, while we have a motley crew of disenfranchised so-called researchers, and a lot of unanswered questions.

I'd like to keep us on the road to answer those questions.

BK

Bkjfk3@yahoo.com