The Education Forum

The mystery of Altgens camera bag.

Jack White

What other films or photos does Altgens appear in? (If we don't see Altgens, it's not surprising we don't see his bag.)

Any suggestions?

Jack

Good frame Jack

Does it show Jackie's eyes following the skull fragment back across the trunk?

Lee Forman needs to see this ALTGENS CAMERA BAG thread.

It looks very dark, very regular, square and overexposed.

This thread also needs the other supporting film ie NIX ................

best

Edited by Shanet Clark

Any suggestions?

Jack

Jack, it seems reasonable to think it is Altgens bag. But is there a reason to be sure? (If not there are other candidates.)

Any suggestions?

Jack

Jack, it seems reasonable to think it is Altgens bag. But is there a reason to be sure? (If not there are other candidates.)

Hi John.

I don't think there is any doubt that the object IS in fact Altgens camera bag.

I beleive jack was just curious, as to why he had not spotted it, in any of the other films when cross refferencing.

Thanks, Robin.

Your welcome .!

Any suggestions?

Jack

Hi John.

I don't think there is any doubt that the object IS in fact Altgens camera bag.

I beleive jack was just curious, as to why he had not spotted it, in any of the other films when cross refferencing.

Thanks, Robin.

Your welcome .!

Correct, Robin...I have always been curious about the bag. As a photographer, I would never

run off and leave my bag, which usually had an extra camera and several lenses...several

thousand dollars worth of equipment. In the excitement he may have forgotten, but

Cancellare and other shots show him across the street without it.

I also wonder about the speed with which he ran from Main and Houston...with A HEAVY

CAMERA BAG AND A CAMERA AROUND HIS NECK. Check it out. In "Altgens 5" (which

he disavowed), the limo is halfway to Elm...BUT HE GETS IN POSITION TO TAKE ALTGENS 6

JUST AFTER THE LIMO TURNS ONTO ELM...a world-class sprinter carrying a bag and camera.

Have you ever tried to run with a camera on a strap around your neck?

Thanks.

Jack

I have always been curious about the bag. . . . In the excitement he may have forgotten, but

Cancellare and other shots show him across the street without it.

Jack,

In the image that John Dolva posted, the man on the right is clearly rushing over to steal Altgens' bag on the ground while Altgens' back is turned.

That's why Altgens is subsequently seen on the other side of the street in Cancellare and other photos, looking perplexed and without the bag. He is looking around trying to spot who stole it.

You read it first here.

In "Altgens 5" (which he disavowed), the limo is halfway to Elm...

According to POAP, Altgens was unsure in later years if he took all the photos credited to him. But there is clear evidence that "Altgens 5" was his (see 5 and 6 on p. 312).

Ron

Any suggestions?

Jack

Mr. ALTGENS - I thereupon grabbed my gadget bag that I carry my extra lenses in and ran fast down across the Dealey Plaza to get down in front of the caravan for some additional pictures and I took this one picture----