The Education Forum

TV shows and the assassination

I have another thread going, which I started about a year ago relating to references to the assassinations of JFK,RFK and MLK in music. Can anybody name a few instances in which there was reference made in films and tv shows. Here are a few.

Quantum Leap, Sam travels into the body of Lee Harvey Oswald and shoots the president.

Woddy Allens character (I think) in Annie Hall is obsessed with the Warren report.

Red Dwarf- The crew use a time machine to travel back in time and stop LHO, the then once again use the time machine to bring JFK behind the picket fence, he then shoots his past self!

Any additions?

John

Hi John,

interesting thread. I love that episode of Quantum Leap even thouggh of course the end is wrong but I thought they added a clever twist whereby he wasn't supposed to save JFK from being shot but Jackie, which in their universe he did. I guess they had to have that ending otherwise to tie in with the show.

Anyway I can think of a couple more things. In an episode of Doctor Who, called 'Rembrance of the Daleks' from 1988, (with Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor), the Tardis lands in London on the day after the assassination ( which you may know was when Doctor Who was first broadcast in the UK the day after the assassination. Apparently it was delayed by about 2 minutes due to extra news coverage on the JFK assassination).

There is only a brief reference to JFK at the beginning of the episode and it isn't actually to do with it at all, it's just mentioned in passing. You see the Earth from space and there is a voiceover of JFK's 'our most basic common link' speech for a few seconds, then running into an MLK speech then into the credits.

I think there are some vague references - like a character is holding a newspaper with a headline of the JFK assassination.

You can get it on dvd - got mine cheap off ebay.

There's also a film from circa 1989/90 which I also managed to get cheap off ebay, called 'Running Against Time', I suspect one of those 'made for tv' films. In it a man goes back in time through a machine invented by a scientist friend and stops LHO from shooting JFK. But then he screws up history and ends up gettting himself arrested instead. Can't remember the exact details is a while since I last watched it. I think he has to go back a few more times and let LHO shoot JFK to restore the correct timeline or something. Completely silly but quite entertaining!

A movie about baseball in the 90's forget its name and I think it was actually Kevin COster who said something really stupid like "two things I am sure of: 1...bla bla bla and 2. Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy".

Made me puke.

Also X FIles had a great JFK assassination show one week. It made me a fan of the show.

Dawn

A movie about baseball in the 90's forget its name and I think it was actually Kevin COster who said something really stupid like "two things I am sure of: 1...bla bla bla and 2. Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy".

That was Kevin Costner's rant of things he believes in Bull Durham, a list which included slow wet kisses that last a week....

Tim

'The Simpsons' is full of JFK assassination references. My favorite is when Homer is training to become a bodyguard he attends 'The Leavelle School of Personal Protection'.

I love this photo of Leavelle performing "96 Teardrops."

post-3567-1144540298_thumb.jpg

Tim

Recently saw a movie where one of the characters works at the Sixth Floor Museum. Was it Dr. T and the Women? There's also a segment in Slacker which takes place in a conspiracy bookshop.

Of course, there are movies, John, like Executive Action, The Parallax View, and JFK. There were also TV movies in the seventies--one called The Trial Of Lee Harvey Oswald and one based on Marina and Lee--don't remember it's name.

There was a 1992 flick on Jack Ruby starring Danny Aiello. There was also Interview With The Assassin from only a few years ago. Never saw that one either.

Of course, there's also the classic Seinfeld episode about spitting, starring baseball's Keith Hernandez, which replays a seen of men spitting on each other over and over in slow motion until the truth is finally revealed.

Yeah, Dawn, the Costner movie was The Rock, which also starred Sean Connery who plays a secret agent giving Costner the location (in a small church) of the microfilm containing the secret of who killed Kennedy after Costner helps him escape from the government.

And wasn't the X File program one in which "cancer" man's exploits manipulating world events was featured?

Cancer man rigged the 1980 Olympics so that American wins, and other major events. Then when their in conference with his advisers he says, I don't want the Bills winning the Super Bowl. Saddam Hussein calls while they're talking and he tells the guy to put him on hold. Funny.

Yeah, Dawn, the Costner movie was The Rock, which also starred Sean Connery who plays a secret agent giving Costner the location (in a small church) of the microfilm containing the secret of who killed Kennedy after Costner helps him escape from the government.

And wasn't the X File program one in which "cancer" man's exploits manipulating world events was featured?

Cancer man rigged the 1980 Olympics so that American wins, and other major events. Then when their in conference with his advisers he says, I don't want the Bills winning the Super Bowl. Saddam Hussein calls while they're talking and he tells the guy to put him on hold. Funny.

Brian, that was Nicolas Cage in The Rock. Bull Durham was the Costner flick.

Edited by Pat Speer

'The Simpsons' is full of JFK assassination references.

My favorite is when Homer is training to become a bodyguard he attends 'The Leavelle School of Personal Protection'.

James

Hi James,

You're right about The Simpsons. My favorite is an "Itchy and Scratchy" with the LHO/Ruby shooting scene in the DPD basement(Itchy shoots Scratchy). I also recall a King of the Hill, where the guys have to travel from Arlen(now that's spooky in itself) to Dallas, and Dale asks Hank if they're going to go by the building where Lee Harvey Oswald SUPPOSEDLY shot JFK from.

RJS

Hi Richard,

Another good one from 'The Simpsons' is when Marge is in court being tried for shoplifting. They show a film where the presidential limo is cruising down Elm. The prosecuting lawyer says, "and if we freeze frame here, we can clearly see a puff of blue hair from behind the picket fence."

One more. When Homer becomes the regional representative for Krusty the Clown who owes the Mob money, three Mafia guys try to shoot him from behind a picket fence. When they run out of ammo, the gunman says, "I knew we should have brought more than three bullets."

James

I'm glad were getting all the simpsons ones out because there are sveral references. Homer looks through a box of of documents marked 'JFK assassination' and comes to the conclusion that Oswald was trying to steal the Jack Ruby, another episode depicts homer and Abraham Lincoln travelling back in time and beating up Oswald at the sixth floor, see picture below. I think I might go onto a simpsons forum and ask if the have any more additions and show numbers for the ones we have already come up with.

John

post-869-1144620539_thumb.jpg

Guest Stephen Turner

Another JFK reference, not to do with the assassination is the Duff beer commercial showing when Homer visits the Duff factory(again) Kennedy and Nixon break off their debate to praise the "fresh taste of Duff"after Kennedy finishes Nixon looks at the camera, begins to sweat and says in a hesitant voice something like "I concur with my fellow candidate" to which Homer says, "Ah, that Nixon never drunk a Duff in his life."

Tim Carroll Apr 8 2006, 11:52 PM Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 3567

QUOTE(James Richards @ Apr 8 2006, 03:35 PM)

'The Simpsons' is full of JFK assassination references. My favorite is when Homer is training to become a bodyguard he attends 'The Leavelle School of Personal Protection'.

I love this photo of Leavelle performing "96 Teardrops."

Hey Tim,

That's probably from the same batch as the backyard photos, both seem just as authentic.

Marges maiden name is also Bouvier.

Lois in 'Family Guy' has also sported Jackies pink outfit on several occasions.

Reference is frequently made in the sitcom 'Oliver beene', as it is set during Kennedys reign, in one episode the father of the house finds out that his wifes friend ( a kennedy aide) is having an affair with JFK.

John