The Education Forum

The Newman family...

The very closest witness to the headshot (not in the car) was

Bill Newman.

His testimony is vastly understudied. He is still alive and his

story contradicts the official version.

He should appear in Zapruder, but does not.

Why don't we utilize him while he is still around?

Jack

The very closest witness to the headshot (not in the car) was

Bill Newman.

His testimony is vastly understudied. He is still alive and his

story contradicts the official version.

He should appear in Zapruder, but does not.

It appears obvious to me that because we only see the very top of the door panel to the limo by Z312 that Zapruder's camera was zoomed over the top Newman in the same fashion that frame Z413 only captured the top of Hudson's head and none of the concrete wall.

post-1084-1145625588_thumb.jpg

When the curb is sized the same between the two images - JFK's limo was higher in Zapruder's field of view than the car in your photo. It also seems logical to me to use Newman's posture in Moorman's photo where he appears to have his knees slightly bent which would of course lower his head in Z's film. By the way, how tall is the man in your comparison photo compared to Newman's standing height ... that is another factor that one should know in order to fairly consider the matter. Your post and illustration seems to be lacking these details.

I might also add that Newman has given interviews and spoken to researchers - attended gatherings in the plaza - and has been to conferences ... I'd say he has been utilized quite a bit.

Bill

Edited by Bill Miller

I might also add that Newman has given interviews and spoken to researchers - attended gatherings in the plaza - and has been to conferences ... I'd say he has been utilized quite a bit.

Any chance of him joining the forum?

Hey Ron.

Having read interviews given by Newman, and having tried to reach him by phone, emails and letters [all unsuccessfully] - I get the sense that the fame was interesting at first, and annoying after awhile. As per the Texas Monthly interview - which I believe you have read - his opinion appears to be that the events have become cloudy over time, and colored by theories, etc. He won't say if the shots came from left or from right, only that they came from behind.

I was simply asking if he would identify the area of the 'Pergola Gardens' since someone here questioned the credibility of someone who claimed to have already identified it through Newman as the area of the walled walkway - so I doubt he would be interested. It would be great to get a call on that however - the exact location of his 'pergola garden' and what he meant by [paraphrased] 'at an elevation, where I was standing.'

Maybe Jack can comment - as I believe he has been successful in contacting Newman in the past?

- lee

I met Bill and Gayle at the Lancer conference in Dallas in 2003. He and his wife were very pleasant and willing to talk to me for quite a while even though I was a complete stranger. From what he said to me, I think he is wary of people jumping on what he says and using it to prove their particular theory one way or the other and then he gets to be portrayed as saying he belives this or that. Which I think is fair enough. He said he can only tell people what he saw and he what his experiences were, he isn't looking at it from the point of view as perhaps we all are. He said pretty much the same to me - that from what he remembers the shots came from behind.

I believe that my fellow DPUker Ian Griggs has met Bill and his wife several times and interviewed them. I remember he lent me a video of an interview with them he did at their house together with William Law I think. This was some years ago though.

Maybe he has just got tired of being continually asked about the same thing over the years which is why he won't answer emails etc anymore. Although I do know he was at a school event in Garland last November along with some other JFK witnesses. I wish I could have gone but I don't know if the event was open to the public. I was talking to a fellow Brit at my hotel who was there for the JFK conference, and he showed me the programme (which he then kindly gave me). He lives in Dallas and it was only because his friend's daughter goes to the school, he knew about it.

• 3 months later...

You can view the 1963 TV interview at the Dallas Radio station, and the 2003 interview at the 6th floor Museum regarding this testimony.

It is very clear from these interviews and the statement to the Dallas County Sheriff's Department

what the Newmans are saying:

THE SHOT CAME FROM THE FRONT

" I thought the shot had come from the garden directly behind me, that it was on an elevation from where I was as I was right on the curb. I do not recall looking toward the TSBD. I looked back in the vacinity[sic] of the garden.

At the Garrison trial: "sounded like it was coming directly behind us"

In the 2003 interview, Gayle Newman, in particular, is very clear about her position on the matter.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Hey Ron.

Having read interviews given by Newman, and having tried to reach him by phone, emails and letters [all unsuccessfully] - I get the sense that the fame was interesting at first, and annoying after awhile. As per the Texas Monthly interview - which I believe you have read - his opinion appears to be that the events have become cloudy over time, and colored by theories, etc. He won't say if the shots came from left or from right, only that they came from behind.

I was simply asking if he would identify the area of the 'Pergola Gardens' since someone here questioned the credibility of someone who claimed to have already identified it through Newman as the area of the walled walkway - so I doubt he would be interested. It would be great to get a call on that however - the exact location of his 'pergola garden' and what he meant by [paraphrased] 'at an elevation, where I was standing.'

Maybe Jack can comment - as I believe he has been successful in contacting Newman in the past?

- lee

I have talked to Newman five or six times. His story has never

varied and has always been clear. The shots "CAME FROM THE

GRASSY NOLL" (he pronounces it to rhyme with doll). Lone

nutters try to twist what he said. He said the shots were FROM

DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM. Look at any photo of the Newmans

and you will see where that is. He has always insisted that

the head shot TO THE RIGHT TEMPLE was directly in front of him

and he describes the effect as being like HITTING A WATERMELON

WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

Jack