The Education Forum

Request for help from washington members

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of help from members living in or around the Washington area. I'm going to Washington this summer and I am in the process of looking for some moderately priced accommodation that will allow me relatively easy access to capitol hill (near metro or bus line).

My qustion is, do any members know of any good letting agencies or have any ties to universitys which may have available accommodation or do you know anybody who is letting a house in D.C., Virginia or Maryland near enough to D.C.?

If you can be of any assisstance I would be most grateful as I am finding it quite hard to get adequate accommodation that is not too far away from the city centre.

You can email me at wereallgointaheavenlads@hotmail.com or leave a message on this thread.

Also, if anybody from Washington wishes to meet up I would love to have a cup of coffee or a spot of lunch.

Thanks for your time,

All the best,

John Geraghty

Edited by John Geraghty

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of help from members living in or around the Washington area. I'm going to Washington this summer and I am in the process of looking for some moderately priced accommodation that will allow me relatively easy access to capitol hill (near metro or bus line).

My qustion is, do any members know of any good letting agencies or have any ties to universitys which may have available accommodation or do you know anybody who is letting a house in D.C., Virginia or Maryland near enough to D.C.?

If you can be of any assisstance I would be most grateful as I am finding it quite hard to get adequate accommodation that is not too far away from the city centre.

You can email me at wereallgointaheavenlads@hotmail.com or leave a message on this thread.

Also, if anybody from Washington wishes to meet up I would love to have a cup of coffee or a spot of lunch.

Thanks for your time,

All the best,

John Geraghty

John

Try George Washington, American University and Georgetown.

Tell them you are a student doing research and they may let you stay in the dorms,

especially during summer/off season ........ also check the Episcopal National cathedral

these institutions often let people stay for much less than motel rates .......

John,

I stayed here for two week in Jul-Aug 2004 during a particularly bare-bones trip to NARA. It is three long blocks from the Green Line:

Follin Guest House, 6801 Baltimore Blvd.,

College Park, MD, (301) 277-9633; Costs $35 per person

per night or $135 per person per week.

No frills, dorm fridge, fresh linen, cable TV (small), prices may have changed, extremely nice proprietor.

John Hunt

Hello John,

I've enjoyed reading your posts on the forum. Your posts are positive and informative, always a good combination.

I hope your visit to the US is pleasant and productive. Will this be your first visit to the States and/or the District of Columbia?

I'm sure you plan on visiting Arlington and some of the other landmarks. If time and finances allow, take a day trip to Baltimore. There is a lot of history there as well. If you do go, don't miss this place:

http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/

Good luck in your search to obtain accommodations, John. I hope you find most Americans to be friendly and hospitable.

Mike Hogan

Hello John,

I've enjoyed reading your posts on the forum. Your posts are positive and informative, always a good combination.

I hope your visit to the US is pleasant and productive. Will this be your first visit to the States and/or the District of Columbia?

I'm sure you plan on visiting Arlington and some of the other landmarks. If time and finances allow, take a day trip to Baltimore. There is a lot of history there as well. If you do go, don't miss this place:

http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/

Good luck in your search to obtain accommodations, John. I hope you find most Americans to be friendly and hospitable.

Mike Hogan

Mike,

Thanks very much for the pre-trip wecome.

It will indeed be my first visit to the States. I intend on doing some travelling at weekends and Baltimore is already on the list. It seems to be cheap enough to get around via the greyhound lines.

John,

Thanks very much, that seems in my price range, I will give them a call and see if they welcome student tennants.

Thanks for the responses guys.

John

John,

One more question, does it have a kitchen?

Cheers,

John

Hey John,

I'm very jealous! I haven't made it to Washington yet, have a great time! If you take any photos you can show us all at the next group meeting you're able to make. Are you going to Dallas in November?

Btw I'm still working on translating that article into English but its taking a while as I've been busy this week and its quite complicated but am about halfway through now. Some of the expressions are unique to Italian and don't translate too well into English particularly one phrase used to refer to Rolando Maferrer. The nearest thing I can translate it into English would be a 'bent policeman' but I don't know what the equivalent expression would be in 'American English'. Crooked cop maybe? Was Masferrer a policeman under the Batista regime anyone know? Otherwise maybe the word 'henchman' would be more appropriate. The article also has an interesting reference to John Martino's brother Walter. I didn't know he had a brother. Anyway hope to have it done soon.

Francesca,

Take your time on the article, theres no hurry. I'm really looking forward to D.C. I'm going as an intern in Rep. Cynthia McKinney of Georgias office, hopefully to work on the Martin Luther King records Act with John Judge, Bill Kelly and others. I don't think I will be leaving the national archives!

I was planning on coming to the June 1st meeting, as flights were only €25!, but alas I must save up for the trip.

I'm going to bring my camcorder and take a lot of footage, as I'm a film student at heart so I will definitely give you a look at that stuff, and I might in fact put some of it up on my website when I have revamped it.

If you ever need an article translated from Irish, I'm your man.

See you soon,

John

I have been to the United States several times to do research. I have always found that Americans I came into contact with to be very friendly and hospitable. It is only by email and Forums (see the debate on the Washington conference) that a small minority of Americans come across as aggressive and unfriendly.

Francesca,

Take your time on the article, theres no hurry. I'm really looking forward to D.C. I'm going as an intern in Rep. Cynthia McKinney of Georgias office, hopefully to work on the Martin Luther King records Act with John Judge, Bill Kelly and others. I don't think I will be leaving the national archives!

John that is fantastic! I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience working there. I eny you even more now ! :D

You'll have to show us all your film etc when you get back. Maybe you can make it to the next AGM or sometimes we have a get together around Christmas time, usually our old haunt the Green Man pub in Great Portland street!

You might even bump into our Malcolm Blunt at NARA - he's often over there digging up stuff.

Have a great time! When do you go?

I will probably be leaving on the 8th of June as I have to wait to get my visa from the US embassy, I have an interview on the 30th of May.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if I can claim American Citizenship as my grandfather was born in the US. Unlikely, but it makes the travel process considerably easier.

As I told you via email I'm still hoping to make Dallas in November and possibly in August as well, time and money allowing.

All the best,

John

I will probably be leaving on the 8th of June as I have to wait to get my visa from the US embassy, I have an interview on the 30th of May.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if I can claim American Citizenship as my grandfather was born in the US. Unlikely, but it makes the travel process considerably easier.

As I told you via email I'm still hoping to make Dallas in November and possibly in August as well, time and money allowing.

All the best,

John

Hi John,

I think maybe you can claim it if one or both were born in America (seems the same for most countries as is how I can have Italian nationality as well) but not sure about grandparents. This page has more info:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/faqs/...itizenship.html

They have a 'contact us' bit at the bottom - I'm sure they'll be able to tell you for sure.

Good luck with the interview - just tell them you're going to solve the case and I'm sure they'll let you in! Although on second thoughts, maybe not :D

You'll love Dallas! So much to see - if you go be sure to get in contact with Jerry Dealey as he can give you a great tour of the assassination sites and he is a friendly face known to the DPUK lot.

All the best,

John

Hi John,

I think maybe you can claim it if one or both were born in America (seems the same for most countries as is how I can have Italian nationality as well) but not sure about grandparents. This page has more info:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/faqs/...itizenship.html

They have a 'contact us' bit at the bottom - I'm sure they'll be able to tell you for sure.

Good luck with the interview - just tell them you're going to solve the case and I'm sure they'll let you in! Although on second thoughts, maybe not :zzz

You'll love Dallas! So much to see - if you go be sure to get in contact with Jerry Dealey as he can give you a great tour of the assassination sites and he is a friendly face known to the DPUK lot.

John:

Perhaps 15 years or so ago one of my daughters looked into this same area...of claiming an

American Citizenship.

She was told at the time, had my Father her Grandfather still been alive, as he had been born

within, and had provided an affidavit stating that she was his Grandaughter .

There would have been no problem.

Now, some things have changed within these possiblilitys, but it could be that such

is still available to you.

The US is now, and soon, requiring that all, Canadians that wish to go shopping

for the day or on a visit, must show a Canadian Passport.....

I am sure they will inform you..

Wishing you luck, and a grand experience...

Franchesca .. :D

B

Edited by Bernice Moore