The Education Forum

Request for help from washington members

John,

American citizenship isn't always an asset. I'd think twice about that.

John Judge said that they are looking forward to having you work with them.

Cynthia McKinney's office is a little different than most congressional offices.

I worked out of there on a 911 Briefing and it was all quite interesting.

Your first assignment will probably be to liason with the secretaries at Sen. Kennedy's office.

If you are in by June 10th, that's when there will be a vigil and memorial service at

American U. where JFK gave his Peace speech.

BK

'Francesca Akhtar' wrote:

[...]

Some of the expressions are unique to Italian and don't translate too well into English particularly one phrase used to refer to Rolando Maferrer. The nearest thing I can translate it into English would be a 'bent policeman' but I don't know what the equivalent expression would be in 'American English'. Crooked cop maybe?

[...]

"bent policeman" = *crooked cop* or *a cop on the take* (accepts bribes, takes payoffs, etc)

John,

American citizenship isn't always an asset. I'd think twice about that.

John Judge said that they are looking forward to having you work with them.

Cynthia McKinney's office is a little different than most congressional offices.

I worked out of there on a 911 Briefing and it was all quite interesting.

Your first assignment will probably be to liason with the secretaries at Sen. Kennedy's office.

If you are in by June 10th, that's when there will be a vigil and memorial service at

American U. where JFK gave his Peace speech.

BK

Hi Bill,

My flight is booked for the 8th so I shall indeed be at the American University. I pretty much have accommodation sorted out. Its likely that I will be living in Cheverly, Maryland.

I have my interview with the embassy this Tuesday, so hopefully everything goes well.

Thats some first assignment!

To be honest I can't wait to get there. At the moment I'm working flat out in a liquor store to get as much money together as possible. I'm going to attempt trips to both Dallas and Memphis while I'm there if its possible.

The people I will be sharing a house with are quite interested in politics so that should keep me on my toes away from the office.

For some strange reason I fly in via Atlanta, so I will set foot in Georgia!

All the best,

John

'Francesca Akhtar' wrote:

[...]

Some of the expressions are unique to Italian and don't translate too well into English particularly one phrase used to refer to Rolando Maferrer. The nearest thing I can translate it into English would be a 'bent policeman' but I don't know what the equivalent expression would be in 'American English'. Crooked cop maybe?

[...]

"bent policeman" = *crooked cop* or *a cop on the take* (accepts bribes, takes payoffs, etc)

thanks for the 'translation' David! I shall make a note....

Hi Bill,

My flight is booked for the 8th so I shall indeed be at the American University. I pretty much have accommodation sorted out. Its likely that I will be living in Cheverly, Maryland.

All the best,

John

Good luck with the interview John! Sounds like you're going to have an amazing time!