The Education Forum

American Bullfighter in Mexico City

I have but cannot find a book about an American bullfighter in Mexico City who either met Lee Harvey Oswald in Mexico or had some connection to him.

Can anyone tell me the title and author of the book?

I think the book is written by or with the cooperation of the bullfigther's son.

BK

I have but cannot find a book about an American bullfighter in Mexico City who either met Lee Harvey Oswald in Mexico or had some connection to him.

Can anyone tell me the title and author of the book?

I think the book is written by or with the cooperation of the bullfigther's son.

BK

Hi Bill,

The bullfighter's name was Robert Clayton Buick aka Mark Anthony Dansereau. He also performed as a bullfighter in Puerto Rico. During the early to mid 1960's, Buick was alleged to have robbed over 20 Savings and Loan associations in California. The FBI put him on their 10 most wanted list.

This is Buick below. Sorry about the poor quality.

James

Edited by James Richards

Thank you Mike, James and Robert, for the links, the pix and the plug for DR and TMWKTM.

What's the connection with LHO again. He met Buick at the Hotel Luna and talked about the assassination?

The Hotel Commercio, where LHO reportedly stayed, was owned by a guy named Luna?

BK

Thank you Mike, James and Robert, for the links, the pix and the plug for DR and TMWKTM.

What's the connection with LHO again. He met Buick at the Hotel Luna and talked about the assassination?

The Hotel Commercio, where LHO reportedly stayed, was owned by a guy named Luna?

BK

Hello Bill.

That book is still available. I passed up on it once - was thinking perhaps it would answer a question I had in regards to the following:

On February 23, 1967, Billings wrote:

Sciambra returns from Houston where he went to check skating rink Ferrie said he visited . . . giant especially interested if chuck Rolland, manager of rink, turns out to be gay . . . Winterland skating rink, 2400 Norfolk . . . first he met skating pro, Larry Rost, who is a swish . . . Rost says Rolland no longer running rink . . . Rost, former Canadian skating champ, slips when he learns Moo [sciambra] wants to talk with Rolland about what happened in 1963 . . . he asks Rost about Ferrie and two boys . . . Rost says he knows what it's about but remembers nothing . . . moo asks, "haven't i seen you somewhere?" . . . Rost says he used to skate in new Orleans with "holiday on ice" . . . know miss Dixie's, a famous fag joint . . . Moo surmises Rost was guy Ferrie came to see that day in '63 . . . ." (Ibid., February 23, 1967)

[ . . . ]

"Sciambra goes to see Rolland, now in office equipment business . . . Rolland knew immediately why he there . . . says there's a lot more than he gave FBI . . . says Ferrie called him late on Nov. 22, said he wanted to skate next day . . . [Rolland] gave him hours: 10 to 12 and 3:30 to 5:30 . . . Ferrie arrived before Rolland got to rink on afternoon of 23rd . . . Ferrie asking for him . . . when he met, Ferrie almost screamed: "I'm Dave Ferrie. I'm from new Orleans and I'm here." Ferrie didn't seem to care much about skating . . . the two boys did . . . they stayed til 5:30 . . . Rolland thought Ferrie some kind of nut: "he made too much of an effort to tell me he was here . . . " Moo asked Rolland if knew Brett [sic] Wall . . . Rolland said he didn't but he'd ask his wife . . . Mrs. Rolland told of follies club, managed by a Keith Richards . . . it's a gay club, featuring female impersonators . . . she says she knows hairdresser who did her hair and also coiffed for the boy-girls . . . she says Richards once lived in Mexico, was an ex bullfighter, perhaps a pilot . . . he once was connected with rink . . . in may, 1963 Rolland and his step-father (now dead) leased rink from Richards (?) . . . (Ibid.)

"Mrs. Rolland [said] there were three female impersonators whose names she would try to get from hairdresser, Vincent Mazzola, who worked at Joskes . . . she says the impersonators worked all over country, talked a lot about new Orleans . . . in fact, she thinks, two of them came from N.O . . . .she remembered Brett [sic] wall, because 'Bottoms Up' once played at Houston-Continental (check a Mr. Schaefer) . . . (Note: Sciambra relates 'Bottoms Up' playing at Adolphus in Dallas at time of assassination . . . )" (Ibid.)

Probably nothing...

- lee

Good stuff, Lee.

The Keith Richards mentioned is actually Keith Richard. He performed as a bullfighter mainly in Mazatlan in Mexico. Another gringo bullfighter who shared the card with Richard was Marc Antony. Interesting to note that Robert Clayton Buick used the alias Mark Anthony Dansereau.

If anyone would know anything about these guys it is a character by the name of Baron Clements who was one of the more famous American bullfighters in Mexico at the time. I think he is still alive and living in Texas somewhere.

James

Edited by James Richards

This is just a FYI addendum insofar as it pertains to 'bullfighters' in general.

It is a HSCA era document referencing Lt. Shaw - LAPD being told by Gaston Santos (bullfighter and actor) 'that the President or a high political official of Venezuela in 1963 fnu [bETINCOURT] was ousted by a coup d'etat and fled to Miami'

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...12&relPageId=54

Bullfighting - 'It's not just a job it's an adventure aka a great cover?'

This is just a FYI addendum insofar as it pertains to 'bullfighters' in general.

It is a HSCA era document referencing Lt. Shaw - LAPD being told by Gaston Santos (bullfighter and actor) 'that the President or a high political official of Venezuela in 1963 fnu [bETINCOURT] was ousted by a coup d'etat and fled to Miami'

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...12&relPageId=54

Bullfighting - 'It's not just a job it's an adventure aka a great cover?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3mulo_Betancourt

Romulo Betancourt was the President of Venezuela until his overthrow, only to later return and regain the position.

Initially, Castro sought his support, and when Betancourt refused, Castro turned against him, which lead to considerable difficulties.

William Pawley often claimed that Betancourt was the most dangerous man in Central America, while at the same time praising Trujullo of the Dominican Republic. (where the Pawley's had considerable sugar interests as well as where anti-castro elements were operating).

Thus it is no great suprise that Trujillo ultimate sponsered an assassination attempt against Betancourt.

Kennedy and Betancourt had come to some mutual understandings and agreements in 1961, much of which surrounded the "nationalization" of the oil interest in Venezuela.

Which of course one can assume that such interest as "Standard" oil company were not that happy.

Of further interest in this circle is the interest in Betancourt which was expressed by LHO in 1959, just prior to getting out of the USMC in California, as well as the fact that several of the "Louisiana" Betancourt family women were married into the Oswald family of South Louisiana.

And although considerably far removed in kinship, the Betancourts of New Orleans/South Louisiana were also of the same family line of President Romulo Betancourt of Venezuela, whom William D. Pawley, certainly had a distaste for.