The Education Forum

Emilio Estevez has just finished shooting Bobby, set for release November 22, 2006

"
Bobby
revisits the night Robert F Kennedy was gunned down at the Ambassador Hotel in 1968. The story is about how the lives of those at the hotel that evening intersected. The movie takes place against the backdrop of the cultural issues gripping the country at the time, including racism, sexual inequality and class differences."

Actors include Emilio Estevez, Lawrence Fishburne, Anthony Hopkins, Sharon Stone, Harry Belafonte, Lindsay Lohan, Martin Sheen, Christian Slater, Freddy Rodriguez, and Nick Cannon.

Scenes were shot at the Ambassador Hotel (including the pantry) before it was demolished.

I keep asking everyone I meet involved with research what stance Estevez takes on the actual assassination itself.

I know Lisa Pease was an extra in the film and possibly an advisor. Perhaps someone might be good enough to contact her and ask her.

I haven't heard much since the project was announced.

Perhaps somebody could shed some light on it.

John

• 3 months later...
I keep asking everyone I meet involved with research what stance Estevez takes on the actual assassination itself.

I know Lisa Pease was an extra in the film and possibly an advisor. Perhaps someone might be good enough to contact her and ask her.

I haven't heard much since the project was announced.

Perhaps somebody could shed some light on it.

John

I saw the movie tonight and talked briefly with Estevez. While he's aware of much of the evidence for conspiracy, he decided not to portray it in the film. One woman at the Q & A I attended confronted him on this afterwards. She was upset that there was no woman in a polka dot dress, etc... While using tons of archival footage, BOBBY focuses on the lives of fictional characters, some of whom end up in the pantry during the shooting. While this will undoubtedly confuse viewers unaware that these characters are fictional, it would be a shame if this lack of historical accuracy prevented other viewers from seeing the film, which is in essence a requiem for lost hope. The movie is also a commentary on the current regime, in that the educated viewer is forced to compare the hopeful and sincere words of RFK versus the often idiotic ramblings of dubya, inc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. It was very frustrating for me on the 22nd to find almost nothing about the JFK assassination on TV, so when I heard that Larry King was having the director and cast of "Bobby" on his show I couldn't wait to watch it. I don't know what I expected, but I was very disappointed in the host. He seemed to me, at least, to make light of the assassination of RFK. At the end of the show, King asked everyone their thoughts of what they expected might come from the film, and as Pat mentioned most spoke that a new leader might emerge bringing new hope that was doused when RFK was Killed. I was shocked when Larry King said,"As a final note, I'm sure it will be one Hell of a yarn." Anyone see the show? And, if so, what did you think of it?

Terrry Adams

As an afterthought , didn't Larry King say, in Dallas. soon after the assassination that Gerry Hemming was one of the people being looked at as a shooter? This was supossedly said loud enough for Hemming to hear it himself.

Edited by Terry Adams

• 3 weeks later...

I have not yet seen Bobby but I will more than likely after it comes out on video. I had only heard about this film just a couple of months ago but when I read that it was Estevez, I felt there was going to be little chance for it to be in the vein of Oliver Stone's JFK.

This is his fifth film as a director and he's directed some tv, but a film regarding RFK in a parapolitical light wouldn't be the way for him to go this early in his directorial career.

I'm sure its a wonderful film for what he wants it to be, but I'd rather see RFK get a JFK treatment.