The Education Forum

LHO's Photographic Work?

Was reading through Marina Oswald's testimony before the WC and came across the passage quoted below from her first appearance before the WC on February 3, 1964.

Does anyone know to what she is referring?

Mr. RANKIN. Did he seem to like his job at the depository?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes, because it was not dirty work.

Mr. RANKIN. Had he talked about getting any other job?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. When he went to answer some ads, he preferred to get some work connected with photography rather than this work. He liked this work relatively speaking--he liked it. But, of course, he wanted to get something better.

Mr. RANKIN. Did you like the photographic work?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. It was interesting for him. When he would see his work in the newspaper he would always point it out.

Steve Thomas

I can help here. lee had a job he loved at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall....many of the ads they printed there were due to Lee's meticulous work in photocopying portions, putting them together to make new ads, some layout work as well, mostly photographing ads and making sure they looked good by adding typed lines, blowing up photos, blowing down photos, etc.

He also made microdots. He also helped create and produce maps. This was in Texas, before going to New Orleans and then back to Texas.

Lee loved photography and often put down that he was a 'photographer' on job applications. He had some nice cameras. that's what is so absurd about his supposedly owning the Imperial Reflex camera in 1963. It was a lousy camera that leaked light and didn't have a very good lens. All the while, Lee had a Minox, and another fine camera, one with an extra set of high quality lenses. The Imperial Reflex, btw, was 're-found' in the Paines'garage in early 1964 when people began to wonder where the camera was that made those damning backyard photos.

On another note, since I posed as Marina in New Orleans, you will not find any photos Lee made of Marina in New Orleans, or thereafter. He did not want us compared via any photos. You will not find any photos of Lee with Marina, either, at any time after he met me. He avoided that so that there would be no comparisons. I was the same height, weight, etc. as Marina. Same blue eyes, same hairstyle. Individuals have seen photo composites. One photo opf Marina taken in 1963 just before Lee left, and another taken by Time-Life on November 23--I have matching photos that are of me. Good enough to pass as Marina--same hairstyles, as well.

I do not know how to post them here. Perhaps Martin or someone else could post such.

==Judyth===

After losing his job at the William Reilly Coffee Company Oswald told Thomas Alba that he was expecting to get a job at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in New Orleans. Oswald never did but according to Jim Garrison five Reilly employees, all of whom were in contact with Oswald, did get jobs with NASA. This included Alfred Claude (the man who hired Oswald) and Dante Marachini (a friend of David Ferrie). Garrison also found out that two other friends of Ferrie also began work at NASA at the same time. This included James Lewallen who lived in the same apartment house as Marachini.

Jim Marrs discusses this in some detail in his book Crossfire.

Mr. STOVALL. Well, except while I was in the Navy and I worked summers while I was going to college.

Mr. JENNER. Where did you attend the university, by the way?

Mr. STOVALL. I went to Texas Tech and SMU. I attended SMU at night and worked in the day.

Mr. JENNER. What does your company do?

Mr. STOVALL. We are in the typographic services. We serve advertising agencies, advertising departments, and the graphic arts industry as a middle supplier for type services. We also produce newspaper mats for duplication throughout the United States.

Mr. JENNER. Do you do any work for any federal agency?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes, sir.

Mr. JENNER. Is it secret or confidential work or classified work of any kind?

Mr. STOVALL. On occasion we do. Most of it is not, but we do on occasion. We are cleared through the Navy Bureau Materiel here, although I believe it now has been incorporated under the Department of Defense as a single unit.

Mr. JENNER. Without disclosing any secrets in that connection or classifications, what is the nature of that work?

Mr. STOVALL Generally speaking, the nature of the work is charting and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mapping, and actually all we do is set words, letters, and figures. We have no correlation of what they refer to.

Mr. JENNER. It's charting of coastal areas, sea bottoms, and some land areas or what?

Mr. STOVALL Yes; and some foreign areas, too.

Mr. JENNER. That is, other than continental United States?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes; right.

Mr. JENNER. Was any of this work done in the department or area to which Lee Oswald had access while he was employed by your company?

Mr. STOVALL. Not in the department at all. Whatever secret work we might have been performing, we do it with the persons who had been cleared by the regular procedures and they are the only eyes who view this.

Mr. JENNER. So, anything that is classified is done only by employees of yours who have been cleared by an appropriate Federal agency?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes, sir.

Mr. JENNER. And then, I gather that as far as Lee Harvey Oswald is concerned, he had no part in it nor access to any of this work?

Mr. STOVALL. This is correct.

Mr. JENNER. And that your company is at pains to see that no one other than those who are cleared have access to it?

Mr. STOVALL. That is correct.

Mr. JENNER. And that was true while he was working for you?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes. In fact, at such times as we have any secret work going, even at the point of being rude, we see that no one has access to any of this material. I won't say--rude but we strictly enforce it.

Mr. JENNER. Well, you make it pretty firm, which is right?

Mr. STOVALL Right.

Mr. JENNER. Do you do any lithography work?

Mr. STOVALL. No.

Mr. JENNER. Do you do any printing of advertisements, papers, newspapers, periodicals?

Mr. STOVALL. No.

Mr. JENNER. You set type, of course?

Mr. STOVALL. We set type. The only printing we do is a proving process, and that should we do an ad, let's say some of the Savings Bond Committee and ship one hundred mats, we would also ship one hundred proofs.

Mr. JENNER. You pull off proofs but your presses are proof presses, and that's all?

Mr. STOVALL. Right; we have no printing presses in this regard.

Mr. JENNER. I take it you do a lot of camera work?

Mr. STOVALL. Considerable; yes.

Mr. JENNER. But it is commercial camera work?

Mr. STOVALL. Right; it isn't even photography. It is only the part of reducing and enlarging printed material that we set in our type shop. It has to be resized and we also make screen veloxes.

Mr. JENNER. Explain for the record what that is.

Mr. STOVALL. A velox is a photographic print that has been screened by a dot press to separate the tone values in order that a camera can shoot them in black and white or in any group of colors, but it breaks it down into minute units that a camera will recognize.

Mr. JENNER. That's like half tones for newspaper printing?

Mr. STOVALL. Right.

Mr. JENNER. Do you do any plate work other than the mats?

Mr. STOVALL. No.

Mr. JENNER. Is the term "microdot printing" or lithographing familiar to you?

Mr. STOVALL. Lithography is--microdot printing is not.

Mr. JENNER. And you don't do any work of that nature and character?

Mr. STOVALL. No.

Mr. JENNER. Other than the preparation of or use of dot work as you have already described it?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes.

In the above, Mr. Stovall, of Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall, is denying Lee had any access to any work they were doing for the Department of Defense. This reminds me of the denials that everybody else at this time made.

When the question is asked, do they do any printing of advertisements, etc., the key word is printing...they made mats for ads that were used all over the Uniteed States. Lee would cut a red cellophane material called zip-a-tone and vblock off areas where a local newspaper might place a local name for an ad going into the newspaper. He also applied zip-a-tone features such as shading and designs here and there, then the mat was created. I know what he did because later I, myself, would do artwork at Steck-Vaughn publishing.

As for making microdots, I have no idea whether Lee did this for a government agency or for himself. I only know that he made them. Lee's personal address book also has the word MICRODOT right under the name and address of Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall, guess that's just a coincidence.

I doubt seriously that Mr. Stovall, whose company made money from the government's contracts with them, would have admitted that Lee Oswald was doing any kind of classified work for them. As for maps, he said they were putting names, etc. on them. Lee loved maps and was highly interested in them. He did tell me he worked on maps at J-C-S and I repeat, I doubt J-C-S would harm their standing by admitting that.

Lee worked with cameras that took sophisticated photos on big frame boxes that could enlarge or reduce considerably anything placed on them. The resulting mats were printed in thousands of newspapers, etc. Of course he was proud of such work.

What we CAN prove is that George DeMohrenschildt (I AM A PATSY! I AM A PATSY!) had the following to say about Lee's work at J-C-S, which he called 'Taggert's' as he had the phonetic version of the name:

(begin quote)

Lee finally found a job at Taggart's Reproduction Company through the

Texas Employment Agency without help from anyone. It was a good job for

him as he had been interested in photography for a long time. I guessed

that he took a course at the Marine Corps. Anyway he brought a good

camera from the Soviet Union and took excellent pictures. Later he

showed me excellent enlargements he made himself. These were in black

and white he was not advanced enough to develop and enlarge color

photographs.

But Lee's job did not pay well and, as he began to trust me more, he

accepted an introduction to a successful businessman-banker, Sam Ballen,

who owned, among other companies, a large reproduction outfit for maps,

electric logs, and records. It was not a successful meeting; Lee and my

friend did not like each other. To the businessman Lee was a radical and

a maverick., and Lee considered Sam an ordinary bourgeois with no

redeeming features. Actually, both were interesting people; they just

did not appeal to each other."(end quote)

Here Lee's interest in working with maps in reproduction is made clear. I do not think Lee lied to me when he said that eventually he was allowed to work on J-C-S's maps, however they might wish to deny it. At the very least, he would have expressed interest in working on their maps.

Lee Oswald worked very frequently on Saturdays doing overtime work. At that time, he told me he was often the only person there. He had been given a key to allow himself into and out of the building. The circumstances of his being 'fired' are very peculiar. The claim was made that the man who made meticulous notes of his work, available to look at in the Warren Commission exhibits, and who obviously worked very hard, and was given extensive addiitional Saturday work-- the man did not miss a day of work and was working fifty and sicty hour weeks-- suddenl;y i9s deemed not doing a good job and is let go.

In reality, he was let go to start his Pro-Castro project. Soon after being let go, Lee briefly demonstrated in a Pro-Castro dry-run on a busy intersection in Dallas, with a VIVA CASTRO! placard around his neck. Must have just thrilled Marina.

I do not know about the Walker incident. He never told me. Had I known about it, I would have asked. But I had never heard about it. It was a Dallas event that occurred before I met him in New Orleans: it never crossed my mind, when I heard Walker's name, that Lee might have been involved in that event where a young witness over at the adjacent Mormon church said two people got into two separate cars and drove off.

The Pro-Castro bit was the first of many Pro-Castro stances Lee would put on. During his stay at J-C-S, Lee memorized the maps of Cuba. I wonder how he did that. Maybe Mr. Stovall just didn't wish to describe the real Lee Oswald. He had a lot of reasons not to.

===Judyth====

I am starting to believe there is something to LHO having photography knowledge or experirnce. So many acquaitances of LHO, such as the White Russians testified that he told them he had Photography experience and that was the type of work he was looking for.

I am also thinking that is another area that has been covered up, in the life of LHO. As to the reason, I have no idea, unless it was more important to show him as having low-paying menial labor type jobs and somehow connect that with him being an oppressed Lone-Nut. This is just a thought though!

Another thought is that perhaps with a Lee and Harvey, one was into photography and the other one was not. It also appears that their backgrounds were melded into one person, as was needed. This is also only a thought!

However, unless we have documentation to the contrary, we only have WC witness testimonies to go by. We do know that some did lie for reasons of their own, and some testimonies were also changed, according to some of the witnesses. We can't just assume or claim someone lied in order to fit our own story. In other words, I might know for a fact that something is wrong with someones testimony...or that the person lied. If I tell this to someone, a personal friend that actually knows me well, might believe me, but hardly anyone else would. It is only my word against a sworn witness. Until or unless someone comes up with actual documentation that actually says someone lied, then we usually choose to believe what has been sworn to. Otherwise, we would be acccepting everyone that makes such claims as being truthful, and that could be a big mistake. As in the above case of Mr Graf and Mr Stovall' WC Testimonies. It can be claimed they lied for some unknwon reasons and for all I know, maybe they did.

But, someone just claiming they lied doesn't cause me to

know for a fact, that they actually did lie.

Someone making different claims, might be telling the truth, but I am a skeptic and need more then just words to convince me of anything and especially if it relates to contradicting sworn testimony. That is not to say I necessary believe specific sworn testimony and sometimes do suspect it as untruthful, yet unless I see or hear something that actually proves a person lied, I can't accept it as fact, that he actually did. In other words, I have no way of knowing if someone actually lied or not...only suspicions. I also have no way of knowing if someone is being truthful, by their words only. and to fit their own claims. I need proof or docmentation to be able to accept something as fact, that goes against what has been sworn to.

This is no reflection towards anyone. It i just the way I am and also the way most of my JFK Research associates are. We cling to what we have as the best proof we have, until or unless something different, beyond hear-say, is actually shown to us.

Regards

Dixie

Well, Dixie, of course your statements are reasonable. We only have to go as far as Marina Oswald's sworn testimony, however, to show that lying can occur. She was under terrible pressure and I do not fault her. We have others who complained that their testimony was altered, such as Mary Moorman. I am not saying she was telling the truth, but she was not the only one to complain.

One of Lee's supervisors at Reily said that Lee would sit in a daze and just stare and smoke during work breaks. That was in an FBI report. Lee never smoked in his life.

I gave the words of George DeMohrenschildt showing Lee was interested in photography and in maps while working at J-C-S to back up my statement that Lee told me he did work on maps at J-C-S. I again challenge you to carefully look at the fact that Lee was paid after he quit (they said under oath, I believe, that he was fired). But if fired, I believe he could not have received unemployment compensation. Yet he certainly did. Somebody at J-C-S either lied, or they illegally decided to pay Lee unemployment compensation anyway. THAT is a direct conflict, Dixie. THAT is why I say, I think we have hedging going on, sworn testimony or not.

I wish I had more time, but it's all gone. I am grateful for all who care about the truth and getting to the bottom of these things. As a witness, I only relate what I was told and what I know happened, but it really helps to have known what happened, or at least what Lee told me. The perspective is much clearer than when you are going through all that mass of testimonies and documents.

Best Regards,

judyth

Mary Moorman did not testify at the Warren Commissions Hearings!

Moorman, Mary Ann

11/22/63 Affidavit

11/23/63 FBI report,

Shaw trial testimony Witness at assassination scene

Also, we cannot rely on anything that George DeMorenchildt may have claimed.

Of course there is much hedging going on and we most all know that. There is conradiction also among LHO's Marine Buddies. I read one not so long ago, that was quite arrogant and I had a hard time believing he even knew LHO.

You don't have to try and convince me of fabrications and contradictions. It just doesn't surprise me at all. Sometimes I also wonder if this is all a part of the Cover-up...the confusion to lead us down dead end roads. Well, actually it has worked. But as time goes by, we are discovering more and more.

However, I don't understand when you say you Challenge me AGAIN. You don't need to challenge me to do anything. If I have interest in pursuing something I will and if I don't, then I won't.

The fact that LHO was fired from J-C-S and he may still have received Unnemp Comp Benefits, is actualy a bit troubling. I don't know the answer, but it is also possible he was paid by some other entity for some other reason and this was the cover story, to account for the pay. Just only speculating, of course!

I believe LHO was on a 6 Month Training period at J-C-S and according to them, he didn't work out as they had hoped. So, they let him go! I am not sure if this would classify as being fired or being layed off, after a training period. Could be they did have some feelings and considered it as layed off, since he did have a family to support and maybe didn't fight his Unemployment claim. Although I am sure that would be rather unusual.

I know that each State has their own set of Unemp Comp rules, although I am sure they are all quite similar. I also don't know what the rules may have been in the 1962-63 era, in Texas. According to today's rules, I did find the following, and I do see there may be a loophole in what might be regarded as being fired for misconduct. I didn't get the impression that LHO was fired for misconduct. I think it may depend on who is analyzing the situatuion and whether the former Employer, protests the benefits or not.

Texas Unemployment Benefit Claim Information http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimant1.html

Your separation from your last work

* You must be unemployed or partially unemployed through no fault of your own to receive benefits. Examples of qualifying reasons are:

* You were laid off due to lack of work.

* You are still working but the employer reduced your hours. (Your reduction in hours must not be the result of a disciplinary action.)

* You were fired without work-related misconduct. Examples of misconduct are: a violation of company policy; violation of law; neglect or mismanagement of your position; or failure to perform your work acceptably if you are capable of doing so.

* You quit your job for a good work-related or medical reason. TWC may rule good cause if the work situation would cause a person who truly wants to keep the job to leave it. Examples of possible good cause are:  unsafe working conditions; significant changes in hiring agreement; or not receiving payment for your work. You should also have tried to correct the problem before quitting. Examples of medical reasons are:  quitting on your doctor's advice, or quitting to care for a minor child if required for a documented medical reason.

* You quit to protect yourself from family violence or stalking, evidenced by an active or recently issued protective order, a police record documenting family violence or stalking directed against you, and medical documentation of family violence against you.

* If you quit to move with your husband or wife, you may be able to receive benefits after a disqualification of 6 to 25 weeks. This is a disqualification of both time and money, because we must subtract the number of disqualified weeks from your total benefits.

Regards

Dixie

I've worked many jobs, and 90 days is the standard in Texas (lived there 19 years), as I recall, for training. At 90 days they decide whether to keep you or let you go. Lee was let go, according to testimony, for not doing a good job according to them, though they used him plenty for overtime, which doesn't make sense.

If you look at his detailed time cards, you can see where he had 'training' in the beginning-- because he puts down hours but no specific activities. Later, he is very specific. Go to:

Warren Commission Hearings, Volume XXIII

Page 535 of 975

525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 ...and on and on and on!

to see how many kinds of jobs he does. He is not in training now. He's putting out a high volume of work minute by minute.

Mary Ferrell's chronology says that Lee gave notice he was leaving:

QUOTE ON

"March 26, 1963 (Tuesday) - President Stovall of Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall says that he gives Oswald notice. (WC Vol 22, p. 161; WC Vol 24, p. 872)

Superintendent Graef of Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall says that Oswald is given notice in April. (WC Vol 10, p. 171)" QUOTE OFF

Question: Can he receive unemployment compensation if he gives notivce that he is leaving?

Was Lee still in training? Only 'skilled' people worked overtime...see the statistics and comments in Ferrell's chronology here:

QUOTE ON

Discussion of Oswald's termination of employment at JCS: (WC Vol 19, pp. 192, 208; WC Vol 10, p. 171; Dallas Morning News, 12/3/63, p. I-17)

Oswald quits voluntarily:

1. Oswald's last paycheck from JCS for $34.48 is mailed to him. He cashes it on April 12. Normally, an employee would be paid in full on the day of leaving if he has been discharged by the company.

2. Oswald worked from 8:00 a.m. til 5:30 p.m. on the last Saturday of his employment. With the pay-week ending on Wednesday, work on Saturday might not put the week's total past 40 hours, but Saturday work is considered 'overtime' work. Where overtime hours are changed into 'straight-time' hours at the rate of 1.5 'straight-time' hours for each overtime hour, Oswald's average weekly employment at JCS shows:

October 1962 40 hours per week

November 1962 56 " " "

December 1962 52 " " "

January 1963 54 " " "

February 1963 49 " " "

March 1963 57 " " "

Oswald's weekly time for the months of March and April 1963:

Week ending 3/06/63 47 hours

" " 3/13/63 57 "

" " 3/20/63 60 "

" " 3/27/63 63 "

" " 4/03/63 62 "

" " 4/10/63 26 " (three days only)

The frequency that Oswald worked more than the normal 8 hours in one day and the total hours exceeding 40 per week are given below:

As pointed out above, Saturday work is usually considered as 'overtime' work. The record of Oswald's Saturday work at JCS is as follows:

Month Saturdays Saturdays that Total hours of

Oswald worked Saturday work

Oct. 12-31, 1962 3 0 0

November 1962 4 4 31 hrs. 15 mins.

December 1962 5 3 25 hrs. 0 mins.

January 1963 4 2 18 hrs. 15 mins.

February 1963 4 1 8 hrs. 15 mins.

March 1963 5 4 35 hrs. 15 mins.

April 1-6, 1963 1 1 9 hrs. 0 mins.

26 15

3. JCS President Stovall says that Oswald was prompt and not an absentee. (WC Vol 10, p. 173)

4. JCS employee Ofstein says that only skilled men were used on overtime work. (Ofstein thinks that Oswald worked on any one Saturday.) (WC Vol 10, p. 204)

QUOTE OFF

I wish I had more time, Dixie. I'm glad you're looking these matters up. I do not see justification for Lee receiving compensation for his J-C-S job when his employers said he had to be skilled to be working Saturdays. That's not on training. And Lee gave notice that he was quitting. How is it that he gets unemployment compensation for voluntarily quitting his job? Again, what they say before the Commission is sometimes tainted. I see this record and of course, what Lee told me.

Thanks,

I can't write any more, this is it. My eyes have problems.....causes me to miss things...

sincerely,

Judyth

Edited by Judyth Baker

• 10 months later...

Mr. JENNER. Do you do any work for any federal agency?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes, sir.

Mr. JENNER. Is it secret or confidential work or classified work of any kind?

Mr. STOVALL. On occasion we do. Most of it is not, but we do on occasion. We are cleared through the Navy Bureau Materiel here, although I believe it now has been incorporated under the Department of Defense as a single unit.

Mr. JENNER. Without disclosing any secrets in that connection or classifications, what is the nature of that work?

Mr. STOVALL Generally speaking, the nature of the work is charting and mapping, and actually all we do is set words, letters, and figures. We have no correlation of what they refer to.

Mr. JENNER. It's charting of coastal areas, sea bottoms, and some land areas or what?

Mr. STOVALL. Yes; right.

"The Pro-Castro bit was the first of many Pro-Castro stances Lee would put on. During his stay at J-C-S, Lee memorized the maps of Cuba. I wonder how he did that. Maybe Mr. Stovall just didn't wish to describe the real Lee Oswald. He had a lot of reasons not to." - Judyth Baker

Did Jaggers-Chiles-Stovall print undersea maps for the Bay of Pigs invasion? Probably no way to find out.

Seems to be some good circumstantial evidence that the Stovalls were brothers - would any researchers from that time know for sure... maybe Gaeton Fonzi - or Mark Lane?

Edited by JL Allen

Researchers are grossly underinformed about LHO's alleged

PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERTISE....especially about Jaggars Chiles

Stovall.

For goodness' sake...the guy operated a PHOTOSTAT CAMERA...

a very low-level job, akin to operating a XEROX machine.

Before I retired and shut down my graphics business, I owned

3 stat cameras. Each cost about $15,000 to $20,000. To operate

them I hired people who knew NOTHING about photography.

Training new operators took about an hour. After a week they

could operate it like an expert.

The LHO job at JCS did NOT involve photography. It involved

putting art on a copyboard and pushing a few buttons. Development

of the prints was automatic, so no skill was involved.

I have examined the LHO JCS time cards and there is no indication

that he did any work except stats for advertising. Our agency was

a JCS customer during this period, and I was well aware of their

business, which was 99% TYPESETTING. They were basically

a typesetting company, but also offered photostat services. They

were NOT a photo studio and had NO PHOTOGRAPHERS on staff.

JCS photo work was 95% photostats for advertising agencies.

Only the ill-informed claim that LHO LEARNED PHOTOGRAPHY at

JCS. JCS was not in the photographic business. Such speculation

is misleading and does not advance JFK research.

Jack White

who knows

Jack,

Researchers are grossly  underinformed about LHO's alleged

PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERTISE....

How would you interpret this comment from Marina Oswald?

Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. It was interesting for him. When he would see his work in the newspaper he would always point it out.

Steve Thomas

Jack,
Researchers are grossly  underinformed about LHO's alleged

PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERTISE....

How would you interpret this comment from Marina Oswald?

Steve Thomas

According to the LHO JCS time cards, all of his work was for

leading Dallas ad agencies and department stores. When

he saw the ads in the newspaper, he would recognize photostats

which he had made.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

Mr. STOVALL. Yes; right.

I did not say that Lee Oswald learned photography at JCS. I asked if JCS might possibly have participated in the creation of the maps used for the Bay of Pigs invasion. But, Oswald was a highly skilled photographer - his talents already finely-hewed when he was in Russia. He was an artiste. Quite a few examples of his work were collected by the Dallas police on 11/23/63. Although they are displayed in evidence like so much garbage - upside-down, crooked and overlapping - and must be reduced from a gargantuan size - they can be manipulated with the computer for proper viewing. His abilities were pretty astonishing - even in the form of photostatic copies. His compositions possess a rare beauty and quality - extremely impressive - city-scapes worthy of appearing in history books or travel magazines - reminding me of the paintings of Camille Pissarro. George de Mohrenschildt said that his photographs were prominently displayed - enlarged and framed - on the walls throughout his home. I'm not surprised. He acknowledged that Lee had good reason to be extremely proud of his work - and, I agree completely. His photographs are moving and compelling - I would almost say historically important - but, I suppose they are already historically important.