The Education Forum

William Harvey article?

James Richards

I was wondering if anyone has the article written by David Martin titled, 'The Loaded Gun'? It was published in an October 1976 issue of The Washington Post.

David Phillips may have been the source for the piece and that he gave David Morales' name as someone Martin should talk to.

If anyone has any details, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

James

I was wondering if anyone has the article written by David Martin titled, 'The Loaded Gun'? It was published in an October 1976 issue of The Washington Post.

David Phillips may have been the source for the piece and that he gave David Morales' name as someone Martin should talk to.

Cheers,

James

Hi James - it's copyrighted, so I will email it to you.

- lee

Edited by Lee Forman

Cheers,

James

- lee

Lee, What's the copyright issue again?

You are not violating anyone's copyright by posting a previously published article as long as you don't try to sell it or profit from it, and attribute it's source. j

What is the copyright issue that prevents you from posting it?

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

Cheers,

James

- lee

You are not violating anyone's copyright by posting a previously published article as long as you don't try to sell it or profit from it, and attribute it's source. j

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

Further reproduction prohibited.

I tried to determine exactly what this entails - seems fairly clear - consent would first be required?

- lee

Cheers,

James

- lee

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

I tried to determine exactly what this entails - seems fairly clear - consent would first be required?

- lee

Hi Lee,

Can you post the date of the article?

Gary Mack also advised that such disimination is against the copyright.

Now this is a very significant issue, if we can't post published articles because of copyright.

If this is indeed the case then the law has been violated hundreds of times, and is continually violated.

I would like a legal opinion from a copyright lawyer if we can get one.

It has been mentioned that Rich Delarosa got in trouble over copyright infringement.

Does anyone know What were the specifics of his case?

He runs a pay site so its not free, for one difference.

Also, has the Washington Post ever gone after anyone who has posted a previously published copyrighted article on the internet?

Also, if they do, would the poster be legally responsible or the site administration?

I think John would know the answers to some of these questions.

We have enough obstructions with the government refusing to release records they've been ordered to by the JFK Act - that we shouldn't have to be censoring ourselves for fear of legal action from the Washington Post.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Edited by William Kelly

Cheers,

James

- lee

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

- lee

Hi Lee,

Can you post the date of the article?

Gary Mack also advised that such disimination is against the copyright.

Now this is a very significant issue, if we can't post published articles because of copyright.

If this is indeed the case then the law has been violated hundreds of times, and is continually violated.

I would like a legal opinion from a copyright lawyer if we can get one.

It has been mentioned that Rich Delarosa got in trouble over copyright infringement.

Does anyone know What were the specifics of his case?

He runs a pay site so its not free, for one difference.

Also, has the Washington Post ever gone after anyone who has posted a previously published copyrighted article on the internet?

Also, if they do, would the poster be legally responsible or the site administration?

I think John would know the answers to some of these questions.

We have enough obstructions with the government refusing to release records they've been ordered to by the JFK Act - that we shouldn't have to be censoring ourselves for fear of legal action from the Washington Post.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

-------------------------------

Any 2nd Year law student would advise you that as long as you are not reproducing copyrighted material ("in its entirety") for a profit (or other consideration, remunerative or otherwise) -- any person may freely quote paragraphs or entire articles which are in the public domain -- and NOT classified by any friendly foreign government, or the U.S. Government. ALL publications (NOT Classified) which are printed/published by an agency of the U.S. Goverment, such as the GPO (Government Printing Office) never fall under ANY copyright protections.

See the following, then "Google" the cited statutes at the bottom and learn something quite simple concerning U.S. and UK laws.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available without profit to SPY NEWS members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques, human rights, civil liberties and other intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We always mention the author and link the original site and page of every article. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

For more information go to:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

------------------------------------

Chairs,

GPH

--------------------------------------------------------------

Russell A. James, Permissions editor of the Washington Post Writer's Group says that if the writer is a staff writer, then the Washington Post owns the copyright.

David Martin is not a name familiar to him.

I'd still like to know the exact date of the Oct. 1976 artcle.

If David Martin is a staff or freelance writer.

And what the copyright issue was on the JFKResearch Forum, if anybody knows.

I would think that GPH is correct in the fair use interpetation.

BK

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Russell A. James, Permissions editor of the Washington Post Writer's Group says that if the writer is a staff writer, then the Washington Post owns the copyright.

David Martin is not a name familiar to him.

I'd still like to know the exact date of the Oct. 1976 artcle.

If David Martin is a staff or freelance writer?

And what the copyright issue was on the JFKResearch Forum? if anybody knows.

I would think that GPH is correct in the fair use interpetation.

BK

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE A DATE - OTHER THAN OCT. 76 FOR THE ARTICLE?

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT DAVID MARTIN IS THE AUTHOR OF A NUMBER OF BOOKS RE: INTELLIGENCE AND SINCE UNKNOWN TO POST PERMISSIONS EDITOR R.A. JAMES, HE PROBABLY WAS FREELANCE.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT DAVID MARTIN IS THE AUTHOR OF A NUMBER OF BOOKS RE: INTELLIGENCE AND SINCE UNKNOWN TO POST PERMISSIONS EDITOR R.A. JAMES, HE PROBABLY WAS FREELANCE.

I assume you are talking about David C. Martin. He is the son of a senior official in the Central Intelligence Agency, covered defence and intelligence matters for Newsweek. Later he was appointed as CBS News's national security correspondent, covering the Pentagon and State Department for CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes and 48 Hours.

In 1980 he published Wilderness of Mirrors, a book about the CIA careers of James Jesus Angleton and William Harvey. It is the best book I have ever read on CIA covert operations.

In 1975 Cleveland Cram, the former Chief of Station in the Western Hemisphere, was asked by George T. Kalaris, Chief of Counterintelligence, to investigate CIA covert operations between 1954 and 1974. Cram took the assignment and his study, entitled History of the Counterintelligence Staff 1954-1974, took six years to complete. As David Wise points out in his book Molehunt (1992): "When Cram finally finished it in 1981... he had produced twelve legal-sized volumes, each three hundred to four hundred pages. Cram's approximately four-thousand-page study has never been declassified. It remains locked in the CIA's vaults."

Cram continued to do research for the CIA on counterintelligence matters. In 1993 he completed a study carried out on behalf of the CIA's Center for the Study of Intelligence (CSI). Of Moles and Molehunters: A Review of Counterintelligence Literature. This document was declassified in 2003. In this work Cram looks at the reliability of information found in books about the American and British intelligence agencies. Cram praises certain authors for writing accurate accounts of these covert activities. He is especially complimentary about David Martin's The Wilderness of Mirrors. Cram points out that Martin does “not name his sources, footnote the book, or provide a bibliography and other academic paraphernalia” but is invariably accurate about what he says about the CIA. Cram adds that luckily Martin’s book did not sell well and is now a collectors item.

See the following thread on "Of Moles and Molehunters: A Review of Counterintelligence Literature".

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5194

David C. Martin does not mention David Morales in his book, In Wilderness of Mirrors. I also would be interested in reading Martin's article.

In the foreword Martin of the Wilderness of Mirrors, says: "Since most of the people I interviewed insisted upon anonymity, it is hard to say much about them without giving their identities away. One thing can be said in general, and that is that these men (and one women) were not critics of the CIA." He does not mention that his main source was his father (that his hinted at by Cram). Other sources included James Angleton (Martin is praised by Cram for not believing his lies) and Clare Edward Petty.

David C. Martin still works for CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/10/04/...C-SearchStories

More information on David C. Martin:

http://www.nndb.com/people/197/000109867/

Born: 28-Jul-1943

Birthplace: Washington, DC

Ethnicity: White

Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States

Executive summary: CBS News national security correspondent

Military service: US Navy (Vietnam war)

Wife: Elinor Martin (4 children)

University: BA English, Yale University (1965)

Newsweek Washington bureau (1977-83)

TELEVISION

CBS Evening News

Author of books:

Wilderness of Mirrors: Intrigue, Deception, and the Secrets that Destroyed Two of the Cold War's Most Important Agents (1980, nonfiction)

Best Laid Plans: The Inside Story of America's War Against Terrorism (1988, nonfiction, with John Walcott)