The Education Forum

Gerald Ford and the Cover-Up

John Simkin

When Gerald Ford was appointed to the Warren Commission he was seen as the FBI representative. Ford definitely provided Hoover with leaks about what was going on at meetings. He also was responsible for a major part of the cover-up.

The original first draft of the Warren Commission Report stated that a bullet had entered Kennedy's "back at a point slightly above the shoulder and to the right of the spine." Ford realized that this provided a serious problem for the single bullet theory. As Michael L. Kutz has pointed out (The JFK Assassination Debates): "If a bullet fired from the sixth-floor window of the Depository building nearly sixty feet higher than the limousine entered the president's back, with the president sitting in an upright position, it could hardly have exited from his throat at a point just above the Adam's apple, then abruptly change course and drive downward into Governor Connally's back."

In 1997 the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) released a document that revealed that Ford had altered the first draft of the report to read: "A bullet had entered the base of the back of his neck slightly to the right of the spine." Ford had elevated the location of the wound from its true location in the back to the neck to support the single bullet theory.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAfordG.htm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Gerald Ford was appointed to the Warren Commission he was seen as the FBI representative. Ford definitely provided Hoover with leaks about what was going on at meetings. He also was responsible for a major part of the cover-up.

The original first draft of the Warren Commission Report stated that a bullet had entered Kennedy's "back at a point slightly above the shoulder and to the right of the spine." Ford realized that this provided a serious problem for the single bullet theory. As Michael L. Kutz has pointed out (The JFK Assassination Debates): "If a bullet fired from the sixth-floor window of the Depository building nearly sixty feet higher than the limousine entered the president's back, with the president sitting in an upright position, it could hardly have exited from his throat at a point just above the Adam's apple, then abruptly change course and drive downward into Governor Connally's back."

In 1997 the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) released a document that revealed that Ford had altered the first draft of the report to read: "A bullet had entered the base of the back of his neck slightly to the right of the spine." Ford had elevated the location of the wound from its true location in the back to the neck to support the single bullet theory.

John;

First off, Ford, was for whatever reason certainly one who LBJ & JEH could count on for whatever they wanted.

However, Ford "moved" nothing.

Since the third/last/final shot: "A bullet had entered the base of the back of his neck slightly to the right of the spine."

Which by the way happens to be exactly where and how the third, last, final shot impacted, then this "slight" sleight-of-word trick has sent many down the rabbit hole as well.

The bullet struck in the edge of the hairline, which just so happens to be the "mid" range position, and it was slightly right of center.

The WC was a master at "splitting the difference" and this is why their cartoon drawings are always too high for one shot, or too low for the other.

P.S. Ford also made many mistakes.

J. Lee Rankin became chief counsel for the Warren Commission. He then appointed Norman Redlich as his special assistant. Redlich began investigating the relationship between Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby. He was especially interested in why Oswald appeared to be heading towards Ruby's apartment after the assassination.

Gerald Ford, who had been providing J. Edgar Hoover with information about the activities of staff members of the commission. Hoover ordered that Redlich's past should be investigated. He discovered that Redlich was on the Emergency Civil Liberties Committee, an organization considered by Hoover to have been set-up to "defend the cases of Communist lawbreakers". Redlich had also been critical of the activities of the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

This information was leaked to a group of right-wing politicians. On 5th May, 1964, Ralph F. Beermann, a Republican Party congressman, made a speech claiming that Redlich was associated with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. Beermann called for Redlich to be removed as a staff member of the Warren Commission. He was supported by Karl E. Mundt who said: "We want a report from the Commission which Americans will accept as factual, which will put to rest all the ugly rumors now in circulation and which the world will believe. Who but the most gullible would believe any report if it were written in part by persons with Communist connections?"

Gerald Ford joined in the attack and at one closed-door session of the Warren Commission he called for Redlich to be dismissed. However, Rankin and Earl Warren both supported him and he retained his job. However, after this, Redlich posed no threat to the theory that Oswald was the lone gunman.

One can actually look at these same characters and come to a different conclusion. There is no evidence that Ford knew anything about anatomy. As a result, his belief that the bullet entered the neck undoubtedly came from his looking at the Rydberg drawings, which did, indeed, depict the back wound at the base of the neck. While Ford was instrumental in changing the wording, therefore, the reall villain in this situation was actually Specter, who'd SEEN the back wound photo before the report was written, and KNEW the Rydberg drawings were inaccurate, and yet said NOTHING to the commissioners, even after Ford changed the description of the wound to match the drawings. If Specter had 1/10 the integrity he thinks he has, he would have said something.

As far as Redlich, it can be argued that Redlich was anxious to depict Oswald as a lone-nut and avoid a left-wing witch-hunt. In the Executive Session where Ford called for Redlich's removal, he admitted this would be entirely for political purposes--to show the right that no leftists were around to influence the commission away from the communist conspiracy FORD himself suspected. In fact, Ford is unique among the commissioners. While Russell pushed for vague language regarding the single-bullet theory, because he didn't believe it, Ford has acknowledged that he pushed for vague language regarding conspiracy, because he has always remained open to the possibility that Oswald was working for the communists.

So, in essence, one can argue that Redlich, whose memo regarding the proposed re-enactment in the Plaza acknowledges that they didn't want to establish what happened, only that Oswald COULD have performed the shooting, was the real cover-up artist, and not Ford.

One can actually look at these same characters and come to a different conclusion. There is no evidence that Ford knew anything about anatomy. As a result, his belief that the bullet entered the neck undoubtedly came from his looking at the Rydberg drawings, which did, indeed, depict the back wound at the base of the neck. While Ford was instrumental in changing the wording, therefore, the reall villain in this situation was actually Specter, who'd SEEN the back wound photo before the report was written, and KNEW the Rydberg drawings were inaccurate, and yet said NOTHING to the commissioners, even after Ford changed the description of the wound to match the drawings. If Specter had 1/10 the integrity he thinks he has, he would have said something.

As far as Redlich, it can be argued that Redlich was anxious to depict Oswald as a lone-nut and avoid a left-wing witch-hunt. In the Executive Session where Ford called for Redlich's removal, he admitted this would be entirely for political purposes--to show the right that no leftists were around to influence the commission away from the communist conspiracy FORD himself suspected. In fact, Ford is unique among the commissioners. While Russell pushed for vague language regarding the single-bullet theory, because he didn't believe it, Ford has acknowledged that he pushed for vague language regarding conspiracy, because he has always remained open to the possibility that Oswald was working for the communists.

So, in essence, one can argue that Redlich, whose memo regarding the proposed re-enactment in the Plaza acknowledges that they didn't want to establish what happened, only that Oswald COULD have performed the shooting, was the real cover-up artist, and not Ford.

I disagree. Gerald Ford was one of the key figures in the cover-up. This is what William C. Sullivan, Hoover's assistant in 1963, had to say about the appointment of Ford in his book, The Bureau: My Thirty Years in Hoover's FBI (1979):

Hoover was delighted when Gerald Ford was named to the Warren Commission. The director wrote in one of his internal memos that the bureau could expect Ford to "look after FBI interests," and he did, keeping us fully advised of what was going on behind closed doors. He was our man, our informant, on the Warren Commission.

Ford's relationship with Hoover went back to Ford's first congressional campaign in Michigan. Our agents out in the field kept a watchful eye on local congressional races and advised Hoover whether the winners were friends or enemies. Hoover had a complete file developed on each incoming congressman. He knew their family backgrounds, where they had gone to school, whether or not they played football, and any other tidbits he could weave into a subsequent conversation.

Gerald Ford was a friend of Hoover's, and he first proved it when he made a speech not long after he came to Congress recommending a pay raise for J. Edgar Hoover, the great director of the FBI. He proved it again when he tried to impeach Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, a Hoover enemy.

I disagree. Gerald Ford was one of the key figures in the cover-up. This is what William C. Sullivan, Hoover's assistant in 1963, had to say about the appointment of Ford in his book, The Bureau: My Thirty Years in Hoover's FBI (1979):

Hoover was delighted when Gerald Ford was named to the Warren Commission. The director wrote in one of his internal memos that the bureau could expect Ford to "look after FBI interests," and he did, keeping us fully advised of what was going on behind closed doors. He was our man, our informant, on the Warren Commission.

Ford's relationship with Hoover went back to Ford's first congressional campaign in Michigan. Our agents out in the field kept a watchful eye on local congressional races and advised Hoover whether the winners were friends or enemies. Hoover had a complete file developed on each incoming congressman. He knew their family backgrounds, where they had gone to school, whether or not they played football, and any other tidbits he could weave into a subsequent conversation.

Gerald Ford was a friend of Hoover's, and he first proved it when he made a speech not long after he came to Congress recommending a pay raise for J. Edgar Hoover, the great director of the FBI. He proved it again when he tried to impeach Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, a Hoover enemy.

I disagree. Gerald Ford was one of the key figures in the cover-up.

And I might add, anyone who has not read ALL of the WC, certainly missed those mistakes which "Gerry" made that clearly demonstrate it.

Hoover and LBY worked very closely together in collecting information about influential politicians. One of Bobby Baker’s roles was to accumulate this information via the sex parties he held at the home of his girlfriend, Carol Tyler. Fred Black was also involved in this. Black established the Serve-U-Corporation in 1962 with Baker and mobsters Ed Levenson and Benny Sigelbaum. The company was to provide vending machines for companies working on federally granted programs. This included North American Aviation. The machines were manufactured by a company secretly owned by Sam Giancana and other mobsters based in Chicago. According to William Torbitt (Nonmenclature of an Assassination Cabal), Grant Stockdale and George Smathers were also involved with Black in Serve-U-Corporation.

There are two very interesting passages about Black in Baker’s Wheeling and Dealing (1978):

Fred Black was a superlobbyist who drew a $300,000 salary from North American Aviation. He was paid another $75,000 or so per year by Melpar, Inc., a subsidiary of North American. His other income sources, and I'm not sure what they were, brought him an income of about a half million dollars per year in the late 1950s and early 1960s - and you can imagine what they would translate to in terms of present values. But a half million per year just wasn't enough money for Fred Black. He was a playboy of the first order; if he couldn't go first class, then he wouldn't take the trip.

He kept a hotel suite at the Sheraton-Carlton in Washington where he and his friends - and I was among them-repaired to conduct business, drink, play cards, or entertain ladies. Though we did not then know it, that suite was bugged by the FBI. They must have heard some interesting doings. Black also owned a huge home which shared a backyard fence with Vice-President Lyndon Johnson, after Johnson bought Perle Mesta's house in the exclusive Spring Valley section of Northwest Washington.

Of course, Black knew all about the bugging at the Sheraton-Carlton, as he was involved in the Hoover/LBJ blackmailing operation. One of those caught in this trap was Gerald Ford. Here is another passage from Baker’s book:

Edward Bennett Williams said, "Bobby, you can never figure what a jury will do. It's a roll of the dice. Think about it. Bill Bittman's tough. Bobby Kennedy put him on the Jimmy Hoffa case because he's like a bulldog, and he put Hoffa in Jail. There's a lot of press hysteria connected with your case and the political implications are grave."

I thought about it while Williams silently drove the car and then said, "Ed, absolutely under no circumstances do you have authority to tell Bittman I'll plead guilty to one damn thing. If I do, the press will play it that I got my wrists slapped, that I copped out, that a fix was in. The assumption of total guilt will be with me the rest of my life."

"Well," he said, "it will be with you if a jury finds you guilty, too."

"Maybe they can kill me," I said, "but they can't eat me. I'll go to trial."

"I concur with your decision," Williams said. "I didn't want to influence you, because if something goes wrong then you're the guy who will have to pay the piper."

I knew that William O. Bittman was a tough nut. He had hard, cold eyes and by his own admission was humorless. A bulky former line-backer for Marquette University, lie wore his hair in a crewcut and reminded me of a man the nation Would later get to know - H. R. Halderman of the Nixon staff. I knew from his wiretapping, electronic buggings, and the pressure he'd applied to potential witnesses that Bittman would play hardball all the way (I learned that when the FBI bugged Fred Black's Sheraton-Carlton Suite for six months, one of the periodic visitors there was a congressman named Jerry Ford. He was friendly with Black, but I don't know what he used the suite for). Yet, I could not bear the thought of being labeled as a guy who'd stolen from his best friend. I wanted to get my relationship with Senator Kerr on the record and was willing to run risks in order to do that. Edward Bennett Williams had been preparing my case for almost two years; I had confidence in his ability to get my story across.

Members of the Warren Commission were very carefully chosen. None of them were free agents. LBJ had a hold over all of them. That is why Richard Russell protested so much before eventually accepting his place on the commission (see the LBJ telephone tapes). Russell knew he was being forced into taking part in a cover-up. That is why he made a fuss about signing the final report. That was his attempt to get respectability in the history books. Gerald Ford was not as bright as Russell and is now exposed for his duplicity. Remember, he was the one who pardoned Richard Nixon and in doing so, prevented the truth about Watergate coming out.

Interesting passage from Michael L. Kurtz's The JFK Assassination Debates (2006):

Virtually every serious Kennedy assassination researcher believes that the Warren Commission's single bullet theory is essential to its conclusion that only one man fired shots at President Kennedy and Governor Connally. The awkwardness of the Mannlicher-Carcano's bolt action mechanism, which forced FBI experts to fire two shots in a minimum of 2.25 seconds, even without aiming, coupled with the average time of 18.3 film frames per second as measured on Abraham Zapruder's camera, constitute a timing constraint that compels the conclusion either that Kennedy and Connally were struck by the same bullet, or that two separate gunmen fired two separate shots at the two men. Although a handful of researchers contend that the first shot struck Kennedy at frame Z162 or Z189, thereby allowing sufficient time for Oswald to fire a separate shot with the Carcano and strike Connally at frame Z237, the vast majority of assassination scholars maintain one of two scenarios. First, both Kennedy and Connally were struck by the same bullet at frame Z223 or Z224, evidenced by the quick flip of the lapel on Connally's suit jacket as the bullet passed through his chest. Second, the first bullet struck Kennedy somewhere between frames Z210 and Z224, and the second bullet struck Connally between frames Z236 and Z238, evidenced by the visual signs on the film of Connally reacting to being struck.

The evidence clearly establishes, however, that Kennedy and Connally were struck by separate bullets. The location of the bullet wound in Kennedy's back has given rise to considerable controversy. Originally, the Warren Commission staff draft of the relevant section of the Warren Report stated that "a bullet had entered his back at a point slightly above the shoulder and to the right of the spine." The problem lay in the course of the bullet through Kennedy's body. If a bullet fired from the sixth-floor window of the Depository building nearly sixty feet higher than the limousine entered the president's back, with the president sitting in an upright position, it could hardly have exited from his throat at a point just above the Adam's apple, then abruptly change course and drive downward into Governor Connally's back. Therefore, Warren Commissioner Gerald Ford deliberately changed the draft to read: "A bullet had entered the base of the back of his neck slightly to the right of the spine." Suppressed for more than three decades, Ford's deliberate distortion was released to the public only through the actions of the ARRB. When this alteration first surfaced in 1997, Ford explained that he made the change for the sake of "clarity." In reality, Ford had elevated the location of the wound from its true location in the back to the neck to ensure that the single bullet theory would remain inviolate. The actual evidence demonstrates the accuracy of the initial draft. Bullet holes in Kennedy's shirt and suit jacket, situated almost six inches below the top of the collar, place the wound squarely in the back. Because JFK sat upright at the time, and because photographs and films show that neither the shirt nor the suit jacket rode up over his collar, the location of the bullet holes in the garments prove that the shot struck him in the back. Kennedy's death certificate places the wound at the level of the third thoracic vertebra. Autopsy photographs of the back place the wound in the back two to three inches below the base of the neck.

Hoover and LBY worked very closely together in collecting information about influential politicians. One of Bobby Baker’s roles was to accumulate this information via the sex parties he held at the home of his girlfriend, Carol Tyler. Fred Black was also involved in this. Black established the Serve-U-Corporation in 1962 with Baker and mobsters Ed Levenson and Benny Sigelbaum. The company was to provide vending machines for companies working on federally granted programs. This included North American Aviation. The machines were manufactured by a company secretly owned by Sam Giancana and other mobsters based in Chicago. According to William Torbitt (Nonmenclature of an Assassination Cabal), Grant Stockdale and George Smathers were also involved with Black in Serve-U-Corporation.

There are two very interesting passages about Black in Baker’s Wheeling and Dealing (1978):

Fred Black was a superlobbyist who drew a $300,000 salary from North American Aviation. He was paid another $75,000 or so per year by Melpar, Inc., a subsidiary of North American. His other income sources, and I'm not sure what they were, brought him an income of about a half million dollars per year in the late 1950s and early 1960s - and you can imagine what they would translate to in terms of present values. But a half million per year just wasn't enough money for Fred Black. He was a playboy of the first order; if he couldn't go first class, then he wouldn't take the trip.

He kept a hotel suite at the Sheraton-Carlton in Washington where he and his friends - and I was among them-repaired to conduct business, drink, play cards, or entertain ladies. Though we did not then know it, that suite was bugged by the FBI. They must have heard some interesting doings. Black also owned a huge home which shared a backyard fence with Vice-President Lyndon Johnson, after Johnson bought Perle Mesta's house in the exclusive Spring Valley section of Northwest Washington.

Of course, Black knew all about the bugging at the Sheraton-Carlton, as he was involved in the Hoover/LBJ blackmailing operation. One of those caught in this trap was Gerald Ford. Here is another passage from Baker’s book:

Edward Bennett Williams said, "Bobby, you can never figure what a jury will do. It's a roll of the dice. Think about it. Bill Bittman's tough. Bobby Kennedy put him on the Jimmy Hoffa case because he's like a bulldog, and he put Hoffa in Jail. There's a lot of press hysteria connected with your case and the political implications are grave."

I thought about it while Williams silently drove the car and then said, "Ed, absolutely under no circumstances do you have authority to tell Bittman I'll plead guilty to one damn thing. If I do, the press will play it that I got my wrists slapped, that I copped out, that a fix was in. The assumption of total guilt will be with me the rest of my life."

"I concur with your decision," Williams said. "I didn't want to influence you, because if something goes wrong then you're the guy who will have to pay the piper."

I knew that William O. Bittman was a tough nut. He had hard, cold eyes and by his own admission was humorless. A bulky former line-backer for Marquette University, lie wore his hair in a crewcut and reminded me of a man the nation Would later get to know - H. R. Halderman of the Nixon staff. I knew from his wiretapping, electronic buggings, and the pressure he'd applied to potential witnesses that Bittman would play hardball all the way (I learned that when the FBI bugged Fred Black's Sheraton-Carlton Suite for six months, one of the periodic visitors there was a congressman named Jerry Ford. He was friendly with Black, but I don't know what he used the suite for). Yet, I could not bear the thought of being labeled as a guy who'd stolen from his best friend. I wanted to get my relationship with Senator Kerr on the record and was willing to run risks in order to do that. Edward Bennett Williams had been preparing my case for almost two years; I had confidence in his ability to get my story across.

Members of the Warren Commission were very carefully chosen. None of them were free agents. LBJ had a hold over all of them. That is why Richard Russell protested so much before eventually accepting his place on the commission (see the LBJ telephone tapes). Russell knew he was being forced into taking part in a cover-up. That is why he made a fuss about signing the final report. That was his attempt to get respectability in the history books. Gerald Ford was not as bright as Russell and is now exposed for his duplicity. Remember, he was the one who pardoned Richard Nixon and in doing so, prevented the truth about Watergate coming out.

Remember, he was the one who pardoned Richard Nixon and in doing so, prevented the truth about Watergate coming out.

Well, most of the truth of Watergate still got out.

It is the reason that RMN knew that he could blackmail Ford that I would find considerably more interesting.

And, one can bet that the WC lie plays an integral part in why Gerald Ford was more than willing to accept the Presidency as opposed to being exposed for what he was a part of and a party too.

Just wonder if RMN also gave Ford a complete pardon just before he resigned.

We, as americans will most likely never know the facts and truths of these matters, after all, football is by far more important.

Remember, he was the one who pardoned Richard Nixon and in doing so, prevented the truth about Watergate coming out.

It is the reason that RMN knew that he could blackmail Ford that I would find considerably more interesting.

And, one can bet that the WC lie plays an integral part in why Gerald Ford was more than willing to accept the Presidency as opposed to being exposed for what he was a part of and a party too.

Just wonder if RMN also gave Ford a complete pardon just before he resigned.

We, as americans will most likely never know the facts and truths of these matters, after all, football is by far more important.

The dopplegangers are at work again, therefore if this appears twice, blame it on Andy.

We, as Americans will most likely never know the facts and truths of these matters, after all, football is far more important.

University of Louisville vs. Rutgers Thursday night looms large......

"Mushrooms":----KIDFOHS--------Kept in Dark, Fed only Horsexxxx:-----The Son Tay Raiders!

Don't you believe it.

Even though you as well as others quite obviously would disagree, I equate it to LHO.

We know what he did, and he was caught.

We just do not know the "why" that it was "did" as well as exactly who it was "did" for!