The Education Forum

Photographer Woman in ALTGENS # 5 ?

Balderdash. You have never processed film in a darkroom. It is a one-person job

IN TOTAL DARKNESS. No telephone lights. No overseeing needed. Usually at big newspapers,

the darkroom staff did processing and printing, not the photographers. You are misrepresenting

what is on page 318 of Trask. This is not splitting hairs, it is lying.

On the contrary, Jack ... I took a photograpghy class in high shcool and enjoyed the processing of negatives in the small darkroom that they had. As far as the lab I spoke of ... my information came from Gary Mack and he described the office where the lab was to be very small. Whether Altgens sat on the phone in the same room or outside the door - he was there and remained there until the job was finished.
Reading farther down the page on 318, we see that Altgens told Trask that he "TOOK FIVE OF

THE PHOTOS" and NEVER SAW ALL OF THE PRINTS BEFORE THE NEGATIVES WERE SENT TO

NEW YORK. There is nothing about him seeing the photos for "only a moment"...quite to the

contrary he said HE HAD NEVER ACQUIRED A SET OF HIS PICTURES.

Where did I say that Altgens aquired all his photos? He was there when they chose (I think 3) of them before sending them out. It may be true that Altgens never saw all his photos and that's even more of a reason that he never recalled all the photos he had taken. As far as Altgens denying he took #5 and #8 ... it was probably you who started the rumor - forgot doing it - and then picked up on it when some newbie fell upon it.

As far as deception goes ... I'm citing from memory here .... now go to Marcel's site and watch that trailer of you showing that carefully edited clip of Jean Hill saying she stepped into the street in support of the Moorman and Hill being in the street fiasco that you created, while leaving out the part where she has said she stepped back out of it before the first shot was ever fired .... now that is deceptive propaganda at its best! Then if what you attempted to do wasn't low enough - like a bone-head, you claimed Altgen's #6 to be genuine and that photo shows Moorman and Hill's shadows coming from the grass and to this day you have not retracted that lie!

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller

Jack White asked me to post this....

B..

I will post this once again for Jack's consideration ....

"After taking his photo of JFK's limo moving down Houston Street towards the corner of Elm, Willis was still able to shag-ass to the corner of Elm and Houston in time to see JFK round the corner. Brehm also left the corner of Main and Houston after the limo made its turn and Charles carried his son under his arm and still made it in time to see the President coming towards him on Elm Street. Muchmore who filmed the limo heading down Houston also made it to the reflection pool in time to film Brehm. So there is nothing miraculous in Altgens getting into position to take his number 6 photograph. Gary Mack said to me about all this, "If he'd (Jack) just review the Discovery Channel program we did, Death In Dealey Plaza, he'd know that we re-created Altgens' activities. Our actor ran from Main & Houston down to Elm Street and was there in time to photograph the limo, just as in 1963.""

So what is the alternative, Jack? Altgens had as much, if not more time to get into position than the other individuals I mentioned here, so either they were all mortal or were all super human - regardless of which ... they did it!

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller

"Miller" demonstrates his accuracy by stating...

"Jack, what is all the confusion about? Altgens took photos in DP and processed them himself and sent them off right away. "

For anyone interested in Miller's accuracy, see Trask p.318.

Jack

Jack, page 317 is the page that interested me. Altgens went straight to the lab to have his photos processed. The photo lab was a very small space and whether Altgens spoke on the phone while standing there overseeing them being processed or helped do them himself ... I won't try to split hairs over that one. I will add however, that it was through Gary Mack at some point where I heard it was said that Altgens was involved in the processing of his photos. The bottom line is that Ike Altgens went immediately to have the photos processed - saw them for only a moment upon completion before they were sent off and this is why his memory so many years later on which photos were his was somewhat vague on a couple of them.

Bill Miller

Balderdash. You have never processed film in a darkroom. It is a one-person job

IN TOTAL DARKNESS. No telephone lights. No overseeing needed. Usually at big newspapers,

the darkroom staff did processing and printing, not the photographers. You are misrepresenting

what is on page 318 of Trask. This is not splitting hairs, it is lying.

At large newspapers photographers used to turn in film, the darkroom staff developed and

made contact prints and handed them to editors who ordered enlargements. The photographer

did not participate on breaking news stories after snapping the shutter.

Reading farther down the page on 318, we see that Altgens told Trask that he "TOOK FIVE OF

THE PHOTOS" and NEVER SAW ALL OF THE PRINTS BEFORE THE NEGATIVES WERE SENT TO

NEW YORK. There is nothing about him seeing the photos for "only a moment"...quite to the

contrary he said HE HAD NEVER ACQUIRED A SET OF HIS PICTURES.

What I am trying to recall is where I read that Altgens years ago denied taking #5 and #8.

Trask hints at it, but does not say.

Jack

Oh come on Jack, more silly misinformation. Roll film can be, and most often is, processed in room light inside of closed tanks. Once the film is loaded in the tank the processing proceeds with the lights turned on. Processing machines may work in darkness and also the first few steps of a deep tank process will be carried out in darkness (developer, stop, and the first minute or so of fix) with the remainder of the process (remaining fix, hypo clear, wash and wettting bath) carried out in room light.

I've spend lots of time talking on the phone and processing film...can't you multitask?

"Once the film is loaded in the tank the processing proceeds with the lights turned on."

EXACTLY...ROLL FILM IS LOADED IN TOTAL DARKNESS...Lamson restates the obvious.

On the other hand, sheet film is usually tray developed in total darkness until the clock goes

off and fixing is complete.

JACK

"Once the film is loaded in the tank the processing proceeds with the lights turned on."

EXACTLY...ROLL FILM IS LOADED IN TOTAL DARKNESS...Lamson restates the obvious.

On the other hand, sheet film is usually tray developed in total darkness until the clock goes

off and fixing is complete.

JACK

Grow up Jack, You stated that the film was PROCESSED in total darkness...not just LOADED onto the reels in darkness.

And no, most sheet film was and is processed in deep tanks on stainless steel racks.

Not that it matters, the film in question was 35mm roll film.