The Education Forum

The Strange and Disorderly Case of the Missing Orderly

Arlen Specter delicately questions Nurse Diana Bowron on 24 March 1964 at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas:

• SPECTER: Did you have occasion to render assistance to President Kennedy back on November 22, 1963?
    BOWRON: I did; yes, sir.
    SPECTER: Will you relate briefly the circumstances surrounding your being called in to assist in that case?
    BOWRON: I was assigned to work in the minor medicine and surgery area and I was passing through major surgery and I heard over the intercom that they needed carts out at the emergency room entrance, so the orderly from the triage desk, which was passing through and he and I took one cart from major surgery and ran down the hall and by the cashier's desk, there were some men I assume were Secret Service men.
    SPECTER: Did you know at that time whom you were going to aid?
    BOWRON: No, sir.
    SPECTER: You later assumed they were Secret Service men?
    BOWRON: Yes, sir; and they encouraged us to run down to the door.
    SPECTER: And did you have a stretcher with you at that time?
    BOWRON: Yes, sir.
    SPECTER: ...And were you wheeling one stretcher by yourself, or was someone helping?
    BOWRON: No; the orderly from the triage desk was helping us.
    SPECTER: Was helping you?
    BOWRON: Yes.
    SPECTER: Who was that?
    BOWRON: Joe---I've forgotten what his last name is, I'm sorry. I know his first name is Joe and he's on duty today.

No orderly named "Joe" is in the record other than this claim by Nurse Bowron under oath. Bowron said that this "Joe" was on duty that very day of testimony, 24 March 1964, in the same location where Arlen Specter was taking her testimony—at Parkland Hospital. Yet Arlen Specter did not interview any orderly named "Joe" that day or ever.

There are only two Parkland Hospital orderlies in the record:

One is R.J. Jimison, who attended John Connally and says he did not see President John F. Kennedy on 22 November 1963. Nor does the "J." in R.J. stand for "Joe" or anything else: they are "initial names" and nothing more.

The other orderly in evidence is David Parkland Sanders (yes, middle name "Parkland") who is reported to have been in Trauma Room 1, but is referenced as being there only after John F. Kennedy had been pronounced dead to clean up. Was he there earlier? The record is silent.

Who is the orderly "from the triage desk" named "Joe" who purportedly helped Nurse Bowron roll John F. Kennedy from the limo to Trauma Room 1?

Nurse Bowron, who claimed that she was helped by someone named "Joe" to transport John F. Kennedy from the limo to Trauma Room 1, is the same nurse who lied about the purported throat wound:

Here is how she testified under oath on 24 March 1964:

• SPECTER: How many holes did you see?
    BOWRON: I just saw one large hole [referring to hole in head].
    SPECTER: ...Did you notice any other wound on the President's body?
    SPECTER: ...Did you ever see his [John F. Kennedy's] neck prior to the time you removed the trach tube?

In a 1993 letter, Nurse Bowron changed her story about what she had found when she got to the limosine:

• BOWRON: "I turned his head and seeing the size of the [head] wound realized that I could not stop the bleeding. I turned his head back and saw an entry wound in the front of the throat... ."

She repeated her new version in her interview with Harrison Livingston:

• LIVINGSTON: And, so did you see the wound in the throat before? When he was in the car?
    LIVINGSTON: And what did that look like?
    BOWRON: Well, that looked like an entry wound.

Ms. Bowron either lied under oath, or lied in her letter and interview, or she lied at all relevant times.

Why would Ms. Bowron lie about the throat wound at all?

If "Joe" was on duty in the hospital the day Arlen Specter interviewed Nurse Bowron at the hospital, why did Arlen Specter not interview "Joe"?

Why did Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission omit any and all evidence concerning the mystery orderly named "Joe" who purportedly helped Nurse Bowron wheel John F. Kennedy from the limosine to Trauma Room 1?

What became of the missing orderly?

Ashton Gray

Guest Stephen Turner

Ashton, could the eponymous "Joe" have been an orderly from another part of Parkland, who by chance, happened to be in the triage desk at the time.

Ashton, could the eponymous "Joe" have been an orderly from another part of Parkland, who by chance, happened to be in the triage desk at the time.

Hi, Stephen. There's no way to know who he was. He apparently moved the critically wounded President of the United States from the limo to Trauma Room 1 at Parkland Hospital and disappeared from the face of the earth for all probative purposes.

As I said in the Throat Wound thread, Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission very thoroughly omitted any careful timeline or chain of custody of the President of the United States from the time the limosine arrived at Parkland Hospital until Dr. Carrico arrived in Trauma Room 1 where Kennedy had been taken.

Nurse Henchliffe testified that Dr. Carrico did not arrive in Trauma Room 1 until some indeterminate, if brief, amount of time after she helped roll the stretcher just the last few feet into Trauma Room 1.

Nurse Henchliffe left Trauma Room 1 to go to the blood bank in the hospital for blood.

Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission very thoroughly omitted any testimony concerning who removed John F. Kennedy's tie and opened his shirt, and when.

The omissions of Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission concerning these crucial moments make the Grand Canyon look like a gopher hole.

And don't stop even to consider the related FBI omissions.

There perhaps is no greater omission in all the annals of infamous crime than the Strange and Disorderly Case of the Missing Orderly. I personally don't believe that it was an oversight.

Who "Joe" might have been and what became of him is, as far as I can find, completely unknown.

Ashton

Edited by Ashton Gray

Ashton,

I believe the orderly's name was Joe Richards.

If you have a source, it would be of the greatest interest to several people pursuing this question, including yours truly.

(no relation) :rolleyes:
That's what they all say. :ph34r:

Ashton

Ashton, whilst I agree Joe Richards should have been interviewed, Specter could hardly do it there and then. Witnesses had to be notified in writing with, I think, at least 3 days notice.

Richards is listed here as a Parklands Orderly:

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v4n2/v4n2contents.pdf

Edited by Greg Parker

Richards is listed here as a Parklands Orderly:

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v4n2/v4n2contents.pdf

Thanks, Greg. That table of contents its contents was in hand, and I see now that this odd confusion concerning the Bowron "Joe" and the Joe Richards in the "JFK Medical Reference" documents arises from this:

• 21 H 226: report of activities 11/22/63---shortly after helping place Connally on a stretcher: “Then someone asked me to get a bucket of water; I did.”

If "Joe" is indeed Joe Richards, and he helped place Connally on a stretcher, then went to get a bucket of water, then he and Bowron parted ways upon arriving at the limo. If so, the question arises of who from Parkland, if anyone, helped Bowron put President Kennedy on the stretcher she had brought out with "Joe" and then take him inside to Trauma Room 1.

I'm wondering now what, if anything, that might have to do with this part of the Specter interview of Bowron, where he "corrects" her:

• SPECTER: And did you have a stretcher with you at that time?
    BOWRON: Yes, sir.
    SPECTER: ...And were you wheeling one stretcher by yourself, or was someone helping?
    BOWRON: No; the orderly from the triage desk was helping us.
    SPECTER: Was helping you?

Ashton

Edited by Ashton Gray

Cross posted from the "Throat Wound" thread:

Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission very thoroughly omitted any careful timeline or chain of custody of the President of the United States from the time the limosine arrived at Parkland Hospital until Dr. Carrico arrived in Trauma Room 1 where Kennedy had been taken.

Arlen Specter and the WC were given with the job of covering up an obvious

conspiracy, so this ought not surprise.

It shouldn't be that difficult to establish such a time-line, since we're only looking

at a few minutes.

Nurse Henchliffe testified that Dr. Carrico did not arrive in Trauma Room 1 until some indeterminate, if brief, amount of time after she helped roll the stretcher into Trauma Room 1.
There's nothing "indeterminate" here...

From Henchliffe's WC testimony:

(quote on, emphasis added)

Mr. SPECTER. And who else was present at the time you first saw [JFK] when

he had just come into the emergency area?

Miss HENCHLIFFE. Let me see, I think Dr. Carrico was there--he was there very

shortly after--afterwards.

Mr. SPECTER. He was there when you arrived? Or arrived shortly after you did?

Miss HENCHLIFFE. Well, actually I went in ahead of the cart with him and I was

the first one in with him, and just in a minute, or seconds, Dr. Carrico came in.

(quote off)

"In a minute, or seconds..."

Nurse Henchliffe left Trauma Room 1 to go to the blood bank in the hospital for blood.

Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission very thoroughly omitted any testimony

concerning who removed John F. Kennedy's tie and opened his shirt, and when.

From the WC testimony of Dr. Charles Carrico:

Mr. SPECTER - Would you continue to describe your observations of the President?

Dr. CARRICO - His-- the President's color--I don't believe I said--he was an ashen,

bluish, grey, cyanotic, he was making no spontaneous movements, I mean, no

voluntary movements at all. We opened his shirt and coat and tie and observed

a small wound in the anterior lower third of the neck, listened very briefly, heard

a few cardiac beats, felt the President's back, and detected no large or sucking

chest wounds, and then proceeded to the examination of his head.

(quote off)

From the WC testimony of Nurse Diana Bowron:

Mr. SPECTER - And who was in the trauma room when you arrived there?

Miss BOWRON - Dr. Carrico.

Mr. SPECTER - Where did Dr. Carrico join you?

Miss BOWRON - At the---I couldn't really tell you exactly, but it was inside major

surgery. Miss Henchliffe, the other nurse who is assigned to major surgery, was

in the trauma room already setting the I.V.'s---the intravenous bottles up.

Mr. SPECTER - And were there any other nurses present at that time when the

President arrived in the trauma area?

Miss BOWRON - I don't think so, sir.

Mr. SPECTER - Were there any doctors present besides Dr. Carrico?

Miss BOWRON - I didn't notice anybody---there may have been.

Mr. SPECTER - What action did you observe Dr. Carrico take, if any?

Miss BOWRON - We tried to start an I.V. cutdown and I don't know whether it

was his left or his right leg, and Miss Henchliffe and I cut off his clothing

and then after that everybody just arrived at once and it was more or less

everybody sort of helping everybody else. We opened the chest tube trays and

the venesectron trays.

(quote off)

The omissions of Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission concerning these

crucial moments make the Grand Canyon look like a gopher hole.

Ashton Gray

Which is nothing compared to the holes in your theory, Ashton.

At what point did Jackie Kennedy, Will Greer, and Roy Kellerman leave

the body unattended so "Joe" and Di could diddle with the dead Prez?

Charles Carrico, WC:

(quote on)

Mr. SPECTER - Who was the first doctor to reach President Kennedy on his arrival

at Parkland Hospital?

Dr. CARRICO - I was.

Mr. SPECTER - And who else was with President Kennedy on his arrival, as best

you can recollect it?

Dr. CARRICO - Mrs. Kennedy was there, and there were some men in the room,

who I assumed were Secret Service men; I don't know.

(quote on)

And what did the Secret Service report?

From his original written report, Roy Kellerman:

(quote on)

When we got to the hospital I called to the agents to get two stretchers. The special

agents of the follow-up car with the police ran into the hospital, obtained two stretchers

on wheels. We placed the Governor on the first one at which time I noticed he was

conscious and I spoke to him saying, "Governor, everything is going to be all right."

His eyes were wide open and he nodded his head in agreement. Just before we

removed the President, SA Hill took off his coat, placed it over the President's head

and chest and we placed him on the stretcher. Both were taken into separate

emergency rooms. The hospital staff appeared quickly and went immediately to

work. I accompanied the President to the emergency room.

(quote off)

From Will Greer's original Secret Service report:

I drove as fast as I could to the hospital and helped to get the President

into the emergency room. I guarded the emergency room door until the

doctors and nurses had completed their duty.

(quote off)

Let's return to Ms. Bowron's unduly maligned WC testimony, where she

describes what she did at the limo:

Miss BOWRON - I helped to lift his head and Mrs. Kennedy pushed me away and

lifted his head herself onto the cart and so I went around back to the cart and

walked off with it. We ran on with it to the trauma room and she ran beside us.

(quote off)

It would appear that Jackie, Kellerman, and Greer were with the body from the time

the limo arrived to when the Parkland staff took over in the ER.

Does this indict Jackie?

Did she pull out a pillbox hat pin and shiv the guy in the throat on the drive to Parkland?

Guest Mark Valenti

Don't forget this gem from testimony about another unidentified man at Parkland - prior to the "magic bullet" being found.

Mr. TOMLINSON. Well, sir; I don't recall how long it had been exactly, but an intern or doctor, I didn't know which, came to use the men's room there in the elevator lobby.

Mr. SPECTER. Where is the men's room located on this diagram?

Mr. TOMLINSON. It would be right there (indicating) beside the "B" stretcher.

Mr. SPECTER. Would you draw in ink there the outline of that room in a general way?

Mr. TOMLINSON. Well, I really don't know.

Mr. SPECTER. And would you mark that with the letter "C"? (Witness complied with request of Counsel Specter.)

Mr. SPECTER. That's fine. What happened when that gentleman came to use the men's room?

Mr. TOMLINSON. Well, he pushed the stretcher out from the wall to get in, and then when he came out he just walked off and didn't push the stretcher back up against the wall, so I pushed it out of the way where we would have clear area in front of the elevator.

Mr. SPECTER. And where did you push it to?

Mr. TOMLINSON. I pushed it back up against the wall.

Mr. SPECTER. What, if anything, happened then?

Mr. TOMLINSON. I bumped the wall and a spent cartridge or bullet rolled out that apparently had been lodged under the edge of the mat.

If "Joe" was on duty in the hospital the day Arlen Specter interviewed Nurse Bowron at the hospital, why did Arlen Specter not interview "Joe"?

Greg Parker is no doubt correct that protocol would have required Specter to serve "Joe" with written notice to appear for a deposition, but this doesn't absolve Specter from the subsequent [apparent] failure to even try identifying this "Joe." Though one cannot be certain that Specter made no such effort, there is no evidence that he did so [that I can recall], and searching the NARA holdings using the word "orderly" returns a big fat goose egg in results. Hmmmmm.

Why did Arlen Specter and the Warren Commission omit any and all evidence concerning the mystery orderly named "Joe" who purportedly helped Nurse Bowron wheel John F. Kennedy from the limosine to Trauma Room 1?

What became of the missing orderly?

Ashton Gray

Aside from the potential "Joe" candidates already mentioned above, if one searches the site given above by James Richards, one notes that on page 79 there is an orderly named [First Name Unknown] Holse, and page 84 reveals an orderly named Joe Mata, either of whom might be the "Joe" being sought.

If one goes to the site given by Greg Parker, one further finds an orderly named [fnu] Israel, who may also qualify for consideration. Given that Ms. Bowron depicted her "Joe" as a "triage" orderly, and [fnu] Holse is listed as the "admitting" orderly, perhaps that is a potential match. Moreover, while I cannot find any trace of a Joe "Holse" in Dallas, there is/was more than one Joe "Hulce" in Dallas, though one cannot determine whether he was an orderly at Parkland in '63.

Dr. Charles Crenshaw's "JFK: Conspiracy of Silence" may also yield some clues, but my paperback edition has no index, making it relatively useless. Perhaps if somebody here has a hardback copy with an index, they could help.

FWIW....

If one goes to the site given by Greg Parker, one further finds an orderly named [fnu] Israel, who may also qualify for consideration.

Israel was an alleged orderly at Bethesda who witnessed JFK's head being mutilated prior to the autopsy.

http://216.122.129.112/dc/user_files/5445.gif

If one goes to the site given by Greg Parker, one further finds an orderly named [fnu] Israel, who may also qualify for consideration.

Israel was an alleged orderly at Bethesda who witnessed JFK's head being mutilated prior to the autopsy.

http://216.122.129.112/dc/user_files/5445.gif

The Israel brothers were mentioned in a thread some time back.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...Clarence+Israel

I have since discovered that they are the same guys who worked as orderlies.

James