The Education Forum

OT WTF? Am I reading this right?

This part of george Bushs speech last night has not received any attention in the major news media, but when I heard it I was thunderstruck.

He said:

"A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps. Such a corps would function much like our military reserve. It would ease the burden on the Armed Forces by allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them. And it would give people across America who do not wear the uniform a chance to serve in the defining struggle of our time."

And I went huh?

George Bush want to revamp Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps and turn it into his own private army?

Steve Thomas

This part of george Bushs speech last night has not received any attention in the major news media, but when I heard it I was thunderstruck.

He said:

"A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps. Such a corps would function much like our military reserve. It would ease the burden on the Armed Forces by allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them. And it would give people across America who do not wear the uniform a chance to serve in the defining struggle of our time."

And I went huh?

George Bush want to revamp Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps and turn it into his own private army?

Steve Thomas

It surely qualifies for a WTF, Steve.

If you've quoted him correctly, it means the recruitment drive for the armed services must be failing.

A cynic might wildly speculate that perhaps the US Government is planning to liberate some of the 2.1 million prisoners currently languishing in American jails, so they can go and 'liberate' some of the most dangerous parts of the Middle East. Could be a great cost saving measure for the Government. Defining struggles require desperate measures.

They're all screaming for a democracy over there, according to the Fox Network.

Whether or not I'm right, it sounds like another masterstroke from the President. I hope he gives God the credit.

One of the talk shows had a blurb the other day where they showed the new Sec of Def Gates boasting about how the number of recruitments in the past two months had exceeded expectations. Then they showed how they'd also lowered expectations by more than half. The All-Volunteer Army is maxed out and Bush's speech reflects a "join up and you won't have to see combat" offer, an offer that many of those overseas would have jumped at if given the choice.

One of the talk shows had a blurb the other day where they showed the new Sec of Def Gates boasting about how the number of recruitments in the past two months had exceeded expectations. Then they showed how they'd also lowered expectations by more than half. The All-Volunteer Army is maxed out and Bush's speech reflects a "join up and you won't have to see combat" offer, an offer that many of those overseas would have jumped at if given the choice.

Yes, I read recently that the US armed services have lowered the entry requirements in order to boost the dwindling numbers.

I don't necessarily agree that Bush's offer implies they won't see combat, Pat. Cannon fodder is what they're looking for, imo. "Allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them" sounds to me like they'll be in the line of fire.

Of course, if Bush really wanted to prove to America the authenticity of his civilian recruitment drive, he would persuade some of the neocons in his inner circle to serve on missions abroad.....like Iraq. If the lobbyists urging escalation in the region want to gain public support for their cause, they could lead by example and volunteer themselves and possibly members of their families to serve in the 'defining struggle of our time'. The war on terror is a real war, they keep telling us.

Dying for your cause is heroic and noble. Come on all you neocons in Washington. How about it?

Yes, I read recently that the US armed services have lowered the entry requirements in order to boost the dwindling numbers.

I don't necessarily agree that Bush's offer implies they won't see combat, Pat. Cannon fodder is what they're looking for, imo. "Allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them" sounds to me like they'll be in the line of fire.

Of course, if Bush really wanted to prove to America the authenticity of his civilian recruitment drive, he would persuade some of the neocons in his inner circle to serve on missions abroad.....like Iraq. If the lobbyists urging escalation in the region want to gain public support for their cause, they could lead by example and volunteer themselves and possibly members of their families to serve in the 'defining struggle of our time'. The war on terror is a real war, they keep telling us.

Dying for your cause is heroic and noble. Come on all you neocons in Washington. How about it?

The Democratic response last night came from a freshman Senator from Virginia, Jim Webb. Why did he get the nod? Because he fought in Nam and his kid is in Iraq. This gave him the credibility to say it's time to get out. Watch for Webb in the future. He's on the fast track.

Another freightening thing about it is that those folks, like the current military and intelligence "contractors" in

Iraq could well end up outside the Military Code of Justice and the military legal system. Which permits them to

engage in behavior which would at least have some oversight within the military. It also puts them outside

the chains of command.

For some reasons the neocons seem to have a real passion for their own private armies....oh yeah, forgot, then

you don't have to be accountable to the democratic system....you can just do what you feel is right. Much

quicker to get things moving that way...

...Larry

Another freightening thing about it is that those folks, like the current military and intelligence "contractors" in

Iraq could well end up outside the Military Code of Justice and the military legal system. Which permits them to

engage in behavior which would at least have some oversight within the military. It also puts them outside

the chains of command.

For some reasons the neocons seem to have a real passion for their own private armies....oh yeah, forgot, then

you don't have to be accountable to the democratic system....you can just do what you feel is right. Much

quicker to get things moving that way...

...Larry

Good point Larry!

It could also be argued the Bush gang are putting US civilians at risk by turning them into quasi-miliatry forces operating outside US territory.

Does the Geneva Convention apply to mercenaries?

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Military Commissions Act of 2006, whether or not the Geneva Convention applies depends upon whether these folks are considered "lawful" or "unlawful enemy combatants.

But sounds like what the Prez is proposing would've been right up Mr. Hemming's alley "back in the day."

As Gerry might say,

Chairs

He said:

And I went huh?

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve,

Seems this has already been in progress for some time. It's called Blackwater. IMO Bush came up with this to counter the recent criticism of the US government hiring mercenaries.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

RJS

He said:

And I went huh?

Steve Thomas

I wonder if their uniforms will have Brown Shirts?