The Education Forum

Has there been a Forum rule change?

Guest Mark Valenti

Perhaps this same lack of consideration for the ruled masses was a major contributing factor which brought down the British Empire. Perhaps, some of the ruled, tho lacking British Culture, were not lacking sound and reasonable minds.

CHARLIE, IT WOULD BE EASIER TO TAKE ON BOARD WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IF YOU WERE NOT GIVEN TO SUCH FLIGHTS OF HYPERBOLE.

Did my last statement break any standing forum rules?

Charlie Black

NO, THERE IS NO RULE OUTLAWING OVERSTATEMENT OR MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL.

Hello Stephen

I respect your opinion, however since you brought it up, I would like to be shown examples of "My Flights of Hyperbole."

You see in my perhaps unbalanced mind, I looking back upon my comments, do not find them to be "Flights of Hyperbole". On the contrary, unless I am truly certifiable, I find my comments to be quite specific and implicit. I am not saying that they must be agreed with, however I do ask you to point out those statements which are not based on rational thinking. I am certainly not unbalanced enough to ask most of you to vote on the validity of my opinions versus those of John and Andy, and to think I am playing on a level field.

I truly understand the "survival value" of covering ones own ass, and I wouldn't expect many of you to depart from that.

I simply want pointed out what many of you seem to think are irrationalities.

And no ! I am not a Kamikaze Pilot !

Charlie Black

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this same lack of consideration for the ruled masses was a major contributing factor which brought down the British Empire. Perhaps, some of the ruled, tho lacking British Culture, were not lacking sound and reasonable minds.

CHARLIE, IT WOULD BE EASIER TO TAKE ON BOARD WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IF YOU WERE NOT GIVEN TO SUCH FLIGHTS OF HYPERBOLE.

Did my last statement break any standing forum rules?

Charlie Black

NO, THERE IS NO RULE OUTLAWING OVERSTATEMENT OR MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL.

Hello Stephen

I respect your opinion, however since you brought it up, I would like to be shown examples of "My Flights of Hyperbole."

You see in my perhaps unbalanced mind, I looking back upon my comments, do not find them to be "Flights of Hyperbole". On the contrary, unless I am truly certifiable, I find my comments to be quite specific and implicit. I am not saying that they must be agreed with, however I do ask you to point out those statements which are not based on rational thinking. I am certainly not unbalanced enough to ask most of you to vote on the validity of my opinions versus those of John and Andy, and to think I am playing on a level field.

I truly understand the "survival value" of covering ones own ass, and I wouldn't expect many of you to depart from that.

I simply want pointed out what many of you seem to think are irrationalities.

And no ! I am not a Kamikaze Pilot !

Charlie Black

Not to attempt to ride a wounded horse, but there is a point which I thought that I had made, many posts ago.....but apparently failed to.

I sincerely meant to mention that I feel the following of the rule regarding the mandatory posting of a personal photograph, in itself is a direct violation of another forum rule (or perhaps I should say "guarantee"). That rule/guarantee is that nothing on this forum should be "INVASIVE OF A PERSONS PRIVACY". I feel that what constitutes "invasion of privacy", is a matter that can be determined by NO ONE, other than the individual him or her self !

Which principle should be followed ?

Charlie Black

Or was Andy's latest statement just another slap at Americans for the "hell of it"?............

I sincerely meant to mention that I feel the following of the rule regarding the mandatory posting of a personal photograph, in itself is a direct violation of another forum rule (or perhaps I should say "guarantee"). That rule/guarantee is that nothing on this forum should be "INVASIVE OF A PERSONS PRIVACY". I feel that what constitutes "invasion of privacy", is a matter that can be determined by NO ONE, other than the individual him or her self !

Charlie Black

I stand corrected - you have risen to the challenge and come up with some statements even more absurd than your original five :ice

If you think being a member of this forum constitutes an invasion of your privacy then the solution is indeed in your own hands.

My criticism of your earlier comments in this thread relate to the words you wrote and their lack of meaning and not of course to your nationality.

Surely there are better things to discuss here than bickering and nit picking about forum guidelines, which incidentally I believe to be transparent, reasonable and fairly well applied given the few people giving up their time to moderate here.

Just to back up what Stephen has said - if there are requests for non-compliance they will be taken up on a case-by-case basis. Also, please take time to think about your posts and decide whether comments may be offensive to another forum member.

If you think someone has said something "wrong", then report it to a Mod rather than allowing yourself to become heated and respond in kind.

Thanks all!

Realizing, as I have all along, that I am fighting social and political pressures that it has been suicidal to combat, I will withdraw from continuing this thread. I do so only because I enjoy many of the persons and their input on this forum and don't want to be "kicked off".

As far as my prior statements and personal beliefs regarding what has been discussed on this thread, I remain firmly entrenched in what I believe to be both their legitimacy and rationality...."most of which were never even addressed".

So I offer my sincere apologies to you forum members whom I have bored, or who believe me to be stupid, irrational, or both, and for have WASTED forum time and space.

Insane, irrational or perhaps just stupid...I remain to fervently believe every point that I attempted to make on this thread. For what it is worth, I am not so stupid, as yet, to deliberately have WASTED so much of my own time unless I personally had not thought my position solid.

In all aspects of our social and political lives, this thread might be a good reminder that it must be REALIZED exactly where the true power lies, and the futility of fighting it. Even if your opinions may be shared by many, it is an excercise in futility to expect be be joined in what is well realized to be a LOST CAUSE !

My apologies to all.

Charlie Black

Just to back up what Stephen has said - if there are requests for non-compliance they will be taken up on a case-by-case basis. Also, please take time to think about your posts and decide whether comments may be offensive to another forum member.

If you think someone has said something "wrong", then report it to a Mod rather than allowing yourself to become heated and respond in kind.

Thanks all!

Evan

My apologies both to you and the general forum, as my genaral disappointment in the oucome of this thread forces me to make "one more" snide and beady comment. Perhaps in the future, we should consider another rule which could possibly resolve ALL furure forum tension and conflict.

Rather than posting directly to the forum, we should perhaps, rather than risk hurting anyone's feelings, post directly to the forum moderators, so that they might congregate, and jointly decide if something is not too controversial to post.

If we all agree, it cannot be considered censorship as it would be a democratically adopted "good" for the welfare and brotherhood of all. Everyone would remain smiling and happy like a bed of petunias !

Charlie Black

In all aspects of our social and political lives, this thread might be a good reminder that it must be REALIZED exactly where the true power lies, and the futility of fighting it. Even if your opinions may be shared by many, it is an excercise in futility to expect be be joined in what is well realized to be a LOST CAUSE !

Charlie Black

Give me strength :lol::lol:

The forum rules are here to facilitate meaningful discussion - nothing more, nothing less. What's more members agree to them when they join. If Charlie Black wants to summon up images of power crazed moderators invading his privacy, restricting his liberty, "kicking" Americans and putting him at risk then he is within his rights to do so.

It just seems a rather hopeless and utterly inaccurate position to adopt.

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here--nothing unusual in that, I suppose--but here's my perspective on the situation:

1. Andy and John have built for us a clubhouse in which to meet. Andy and John retain ownership of said clubhouse.

2. By virtue of ownership, Andy and John have the right to set the rules of the house.

3. By registering with the forum, we agree to abide by the house rules.

4. If we encounter a problem with the house rules, we have the option to appeal to the moderators, and to Andy and/or John, for dispensation/modification of the rules. John and Andy retain the right to refuse our appeal and to leave the rules as they were.

5. We then have the right to either lobby the membership for support--which may or may not affect the ruling of Andy and/or John--or we may choose to leave, if we decide the rules are simply too onerous for us to comply.

6. Or we may just decide that the rules are fine, and continue to participate while remaining in compliance with the rules.

7. If we decide that the rules are simply too much of a burden to comply with, and we choose not to leave of our own accord, Andy and John have the right to refuse our entry to their "house."

Have I pretty much covered it?

We're living in a rented house here...we can't remove the walls, floors, doors, windows, roof, or ceiling without the permission of the owners. To do so is to run the risk of eviction. Since the rent is reasonable--free--I suggest that we either live within the rules or leave...and I AM a closet anarchist, according to some of my old high-school teachers. But a smart bird doesn't defecate in his own nest, I've been told...and I tend to agree.

We're living in a rented house here...we can't remove the walls, floors, doors, windows, roof, or ceiling without the permission of the owners. To do so is to run the risk of eviction. Since the rent is reasonable--free--I suggest that we either live within the rules or leave...and I AM a closet anarchist, according to some of my old high-school teachers. But a smart bird doesn't defecate in his own nest, I've been told...and I tend to agree.

But Mark, if we're in a rented house then it's not our own nest.

Please watch those mixed metaphors.

I understand there are students present.

:lol:

But Mark, if we're in a rented house then it's not our own nest.

Please watch those mixed metaphors.

I understand there are students present.

:ice

why worry about CIA when the Illuminati flies over my gunshop every night in a black helicopter? :ph34r:

Edited by Evan Marshall

Daniel Wayne Dunn

Your post that I do have a photo posted came as a complete shock to me. However I am still unable to find it. Could you or ANYONE clue me in on what I must do to view it. I was unable to post the photo myself, so I mailed by postal service a photo to John Simkin who stated that he had posted it.....I have never been able to find it !

Would appreciate ANYONE's help. BUT....this in no way changes my feelings regarding the requirement for having a photo posted. I was not arguing the point because I personally felt that my privacy was being invaded, or that I was personally in harm. I was merely attempting to protect those who might have been in fear, and possibly might not join the forum for that reason.

Help will be appreciated.

Charlie black

Daniel Wayne Dunn

Your post that I do have a photo posted came as a complete shock to me. However I am still unable to find it. Could you or ANYONE clue me in on what I must do to view it. I was unable to post the photo myself, so I mailed by postal service a photo to John Simkin who stated that he had posted it.....I have never been able to find it !

Would appreciate ANYONE's help. BUT....this in no way changes my feelings regarding the requirement for having a photo posted. I was not arguing the point because I personally felt that my privacy was being invaded, or that I was personally in harm. I was merely attempting to protect those who might have been in fear, and possibly might not join the forum for that reason.

Help will be appreciated.

Charlie black

Your photograph appears next to your postings. I cannot understand why you cannot see this?

Dan & John

You guys are REALLY going to believe me nuts now.

When I do this, all I get is a faceless caricature.

I originally thought that John, perhaps for some reason, had difficulty when he attempted to post it for me. I didn't bother to mention it, because I had no great desire to look at myself.

In my forum correspondence, I am using a web tv, if any of you know what that is. But I pick up pictures of about 1/2 the forum members but I just always assumed that the others had never attempted to post their photos. There have been ocassions in the past when the web tv has not accessed subjects for which I have searched. This maybe could be the

problem.

When my wife and I moved to the Beach after I retired, we did not have room for two computers.

If I am very nice, she may give me permission to use hers when she returns.

I don't even know which picture that I mailed John but I remember telling him "no" when he asked did I need it back. I would kind of like to know how marvelous that I look !

Thanks for the help....now I am curious!

Charlie Black