The Education Forum

Has there been a Forum rule change?

Guest Mark Valenti

I follow the advice of Penn Jones. It is unsafe to keep secrets. Quickly tell everything

you know to everyone who will listen. It is SECRET INFORMATION that they fear.

Once the info is out and everyone knows, there is no reason to eliminate the secret

holder.

The people investigating the Roscoe White affair failed to adhere to this

principle. My friend Tom Wilson KEPT ALL OF HIS STUDIES SECRET. I fear

that may have cost him.

If you have a secret about the case, expose it as quickly as possible. Don't

hold it hoping to profit from it.

Jack

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy, if you feel that you could be in physical danger if you post a photo, of course you shouldn't. But I have to say, in this age of electronic sleuthing, it's not that hard to find people even without a photo. Everyone leaves traces of themselves online, through banking, employment, etc.

If you delve into the world of secrets and lies as we have, it's inevitable that you will feel somewhat unnerved on occasion, especially if you have personal experiences that are frightening.

I think of a guy like Jack White who has been outspoken against government agencies and individuals for decades. He was almost killed in his bed. And yet he continues to make public statements and offer his opinions candidly.

There's a wide spectrum of thought on this issue - and judging from some of the weirdo responses it's generated, I guess I'm sorry I brought it up.

I realize if someone wanted to find out something about me, they could. But I still feel exposed. I've got lights on all over the place when I go to sleep.

Kathy

I don't really understand the need to post a picture of one's self, but I'll oblige by the rules and try to find one. I must agree with Jack about the ease of posting a picture of someone else, and claiming it as your own. I would also support Kathy or anyone else who expressed any hesitation, for whatever reason, about posting a picture. With all the strange deaths that have been connected to this case over the years, we all have a right to be a little paranoid.

I follow the advice of Penn Jones. It is unsafe to keep secrets. Quickly tell everything

Once the info is out and everyone knows, there is no reason to eliminate the secret

holder.

The people investigating the Roscoe White affair failed to adhere to this

principle. My friend Tom Wilson KEPT ALL OF HIS STUDIES SECRET. I fear

that may have cost him.

If you have a secret about the case, expose it as quickly as possible. Don't

hold it hoping to profit from it.

Jack

The name Dorothy Kilgallen comes to mind.

holder.

This is my philosophy as well. People like Dorothy Kilgallen was murdered because she had not published. The internet makes us safer rather than more at risk. People may have reasons not to post their photographs but I doubt if it has anything to do with the investigation of the death of JFK.

Hello John

I realize that this is your forum and you certainly have the right to set and enforce any rules which you deem appropriate, and if one wishes to participate in this very worthwhile forum, that they can be held to honor these rules.

I do however wish that you would consider the "true" value of this easily sidesteped rule versus any possible negative effects which it could have on forum participation. Any grade schooler wishing to deceive and participate could certainly do so as could the Director of Central Intelligence.

To my personal thinking, this is more in keeping with an application for membership to a weekly Tea Dance, than it is for a discussion and research group studying what is most likely the greatest Coup d' Etat in World History.

When I more or less passingly referred to finger printing.....it certainly in my opinion, makes much more sense than the submission of a picture of "an anyone".

Furthermore, if one were so inclined, one could submit an obnoxiously absurd Biography, that might hold other participants in total awe.

I recently emailed you the reason that mine isn't posted, and that you are aware that you have my photo in your posession....so the reason that I continue to comment on this subject, has nothing to do with a personal refusal on my part to abide by the rules.

I simply feel that this rule might be inclined to scare away persons that may have significant ideas or facts to contribute to the forum, while it will in no way deter their opposites. I don't feel that this is in any way a "win, win" situation.

Charlie Black

I'm all for the photo and bio qualification for this forum. It's what makes this forum unique (aside from John's presence and participation). The number of trolls is greatly reduced when people are asked to use their real names and images. Sure, some can get around it. But most won't take the time to concoct a fictitious persona. I seriously doubt there is anyone out there with anything worth sharing about the assassination, that wouldn't gladly follow these rules. If someone, say a former CIA op, wishes to contribute some info, but anonymously, they can always contact John directly. I believe several have.

I'm all for the photo and bio qualification for this forum. It's what makes this forum unique (aside from John's presence and participation). The number of trolls is greatly reduced when people are asked to use their real names and images. Sure, some can get around it. But most won't take the time to concoct a fictitious persona. I seriously doubt there is anyone out there with anything worth sharing about the assassination, that wouldn't gladly follow these rules. If someone, say a former CIA op, wishes to contribute some info, but anonymously, they can always contact John directly. I believe several have.

PAT

You said "I doubt that there is anyone out there

with anything worth sharing about the assassination...."

"And the number of trolls is greatly reduced when

people are asked to use their real names and images."

Have you departed this Planet ?

Are you really commenting on the JFK murder conspiracy ?

You feel that there is no one out there who has anything new to offer?

And do you really feel that "TRUTH" results from people being asked to use their real name and images ?

But Pat....I keep forgetting !

You really believe that surgeeons have difficulty in determining left and right, as well as back and front, if their patients "goof up", and disorient the surgeeons, by mistakenly laying down on the operating table.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser !

It is amazing that at one time I made an "A" in a course titled "LOGIC" !

Charlie Black

Have you departed this Planet ?

Are you really commenting on the JFK murder conspiracy ?

You feel that there is no one out there who has anything new to offer?

And do you really feel that "TRUTH" results from people being asked to use their real name and images ?

Charlie Black

Like to support Charlie Black's view. (Submitted a snap to John this morning: hope he sees his way to marking it up. Thx.)

Kathy Collins should not be forced to post a picture. Here's a work around:

Someone in Kathy's position should submit a scan of a pic (passport?) & verifiable id credentials to John with a plea for an exemption. Then John decides the merits. Some researchers will then have a chance to submit sensitive info they otherwise might not want to; others might see their plea fail. Of course, if there are too many requests for picture exemption, then revert to the current rule. Too bad.

Some members seem to resent posters who don't have pictures because resentfully they seem to desire a picture target at which to direct revenge for hurt feelings. But if you think about it, anyone could send in a bogus pic; the resentful would be casting darts at phantom targets. :rolleyes:

Miles

Edited by Miles Scull

Any grade schooler wishing to deceive and participate could certainly do so as could the Director of Central Intelligence.

To my personal thinking, this is more in keeping with an application for membership to a weekly Tea Dance, than it is for a discussion and research group studying what is most likely the greatest Coup d' Etat in World History.

When I more or less passingly referred to finger printing.....it certainly in my opinion, makes much more sense than the submission of a picture of "an anyone".

Furthermore, if one were so inclined, one could submit an obnoxiously absurd Biography, that might hold other participants in total awe.

I simply feel that this rule might be inclined to scare away persons that may have significant ideas or facts to contribute to the forum, while it will in no way deter their opposites. I don't feel that this is in any way a "win, win" situation.

Charlie Black

If challenged to do so it would be difficult to conjure up five more absurd statements relating to an extremely simple forum requirement.

There is a clause within our forum rules to deal with unusual situations should anyone here be bothered to read them

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Guest Mark Valenti
If challenged to do so it would be difficult to conjure up five more absurd statements relating to an extremely simple forum requirement.

Like I said, I'm sorry I brought it up... :blink:

For my first year of membership here, I slid by without a photo, until the issue was raised by somebody. In fairness to the administrators, it is a requirement of membership.

However, I felt the same trepidation that other members have mentioned above, and resorted to a tactic used by Gerry Hemming. Thinking that if it was fair for Gerry to use a photo from the late 1950s, I located one that was not quite recent [albeit one from a time less ancient than the '50s.] The admins wisely chose to edit out some of the more interesting background.

Perhaps those who share my previous trepidation would be well served by resorting to a similar tactic. It meets the letter of the law, if not the spirit or intent.

Guest John Woods

a

Edited by John Woods