The Education Forum

Music on YouTube

John Simkin

C, (I mean no offence re writing C, and take none for calling me J, it's all good (to me)). So, I am interested in my preconceptions of many cultures, in this case Turkey. From what I've read it has been a difficult place to live at times, depending on ethnicity, religion et.c. yet it has for a long time maintained its border integrity. It's interesting that the official line is that Kurdistan (if there is such a place) is seen in Ankara as an Iraqui issue. From here the Kurds seem to have a legtimate claim to autonomous territory (even sovereign nation) covering parts of Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Is there much about this in the local press? Or are they seen as terrorists, as for example the official Spanish view of the Basques?

Well, I suppose it's a compliment, but it is, to me, a factual statement. Such is a compliment to Turkey in toto, that someone can speak so freely. So, to me there are curious aspects, like a country going through a period of gradual change in a positive way. Is there any sentiment that the Kurds may have a legitimate claim?

As it's a music topic (on youtube) I guess, from one dumb blond to another, I hope you might appreciate this joke (in this case set in a vaguely musical format.)

Legally Blond.

A ventrilequist on stage

Makes another Joke

Somewher in the audience

Someone takes offence

Standing up and shouting

I am blond and I object

I've got degrees to prove it

Youre a nasty little man

A ventrilequist on stage

expresses his regeret

A ventrilequist on stage

expresses his regeret

Not you, you bloody idiot

I was talking to the little

fellow sitting on your knee...

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C, (I mean no offence re writing C,

None taken.

and take none for calling me J, it's all good (to me)). So, I am interested in my preconceptions of many cultures, in this case Turkey. From what I've read it has been a difficult place to live at times, depending on ethnicity, religion et.c. yet it has for a long time maintained its border integrity. It's interesting that the official line is that Kurdistan (if there is such a place) is seen in Ankara as an Iraqui issue. From here the Kurds seem to have a legtimate claim to autonomous territory (even sovereign nation) covering parts of Iran, Iraq and Turkey. Is there much about this in the local press? Or are they seen as terrorists, as for example the official Spanish view of the Basques?

Kurds are not terrorists and they have never been seen as such. There's a terrorist organization whose militants are mostly Kurdish.

And the fight with this group is an issue, not the Kurds.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200512/16/eng20051216_228411.html

Well, I suppose it's a compliment, but it is, to me, a factual statement. Such is a compliment to Turkey in toto, that someone can speak so freely.

How many Turks have you known that cannot speak freely?

So, to me there are curious aspects, like a country going through a period of gradual change in a positive way. Is there any sentiment that the Kurds may have a legitimate claim?

John, I understand your curiosity. So, why don't you visit here and judge for yourself? Maybe then we can discuss (over a cup of coffee :) ) the Kurdistan issue as well as the Aborigins, whether they have a legitimate claim and the conditions they live in.

Btw, the joke was funny.

Edited by Cigdem Göle

It's a good idea seeing things first hand, and why don't you come here to have a cuppa and we can talk about anything. I'm certain you'll enjoy it, it's a great place.

I'll introduce you to some local Nungas, and Koori families over east, and up Darwin way. Let's do it by car across the NullArbor. It's an amazing road trip. On the way, I've always wanted to spend some time with the pitjintaras' and catch up with some of the other mobs (yo Prince'n co, yanndee here).

One ongoing research is the incredible disappearance of such a multitude in the south west. Partly, I understand, the Elders were wiped out with such insiduous means as selling them refrigerated methylated spirits to make the ole' 'white lady' (milk and metho (Toxic)). (It wasn't all that long ago that the Crown finally recognised that Oz most defimitely wasn't Terra Nullius). (As far as women go there most definitely is a glass ceiling, why does she have to be examplary to compete with mediocre guys, why is her role so often decorative, why do people like G. Greer have to expatriate, and then suffer the pervasive tall poppy syndrome. Let alone the issue of money. Anyway, our cultural attache', Les Patterson, could explain it better.)

I've no doubt there have been times in Turkeys' history (or herstory, take your pick) too when women have been nothing, except what males deem appropriate. (You should have seen the storm Ma Sheela left in her wake after passing through Oz) The so called Austalian Aboriginials, the native owners of this invaded land, ( like Bakunin said : 'property is theft.' ) formed some 500 nations with many languages. There is much that the world can learn from them as possibly the oldest civilisation on earth. Most of the world doesn't even know that there's anything worth learning. (There's much they'll refuse to tell you unless you are permitted to undergo real and rigorous training and gradations of initiation ceremonies. Even then they won't tell you everything. A lot of the basics you have to figure out yourself by dropping paradigms.The fundamental outlook and relationships within and without is diametrically opposed to that of the west.) Were you in Australia to see what it's like to be a woman in Oz? Where in Oz, what strata, which grouping? I would like to come to Turkey. As a Kurd sympathiser with trotskyist leanings, would I be able to leave? (let alone enter?). Or am I pre judiced by the portraying of Turkey in movies like 'Midnight Express'. I'd like to know about modern Turkey. My trip through the US was a series of 11 out of 12 random searches at each flight node. All I wanted was to visit, ( and I had already signed the inflight form promising not to do anything naughty while in the US of A. Sheesh...) . Quite by accident I ended up in Washington on the day after Bush returned from a visit to Oz and found myself in the midst of a giant anti war demo. Heady stuff, though I did pick up some great old badges (particularly a commemorative MLK one) and stickers ("since when is it against the law to disagree with the president") and chatted with the folks, including cops, who by and large seemed pretty sane. Though "the department of 'thrift'" gave me pause to ponder...On the whole I found washington a wierd mishmash of architecture, mostly grey. The early morning bagels were nice though.

So, the Sinn Fein, (with an armed wing, (considered terorists by some, freedom fighters by others)) has no grievance. What about the ANC? The Anarcho Syndicalist Basques? and so on...Wounded Knee? Shermans march and the incredible setback of his scorch earth march in making a real Union? Even perhaps... These people want what's rightfully theirs, and they'll fight for it. You can't say the Kurds and the 'terrorist' Kurds are two separate issues. Surely? I can understand it might suit the gov of the day. It's an endless flux of dichotomies at play. Chuck in Agents Provocateurs and the tension rises as suits some.

Gallippoli and the Anzacs is a very special part of Oz's story, today honored peacefully in Turkey.

I did some fencing on an island once when a Japanese fishing boat ran aground one stormy night and suddenly everyone was diverted to rescue and cleanup and putting this sudden influx up.

The Vitriol of the old Diggers onsite was palpable.

Us younger ones, (who hadn't fought them or lived in their prison camps et.c.,) instead found the whole experience interesting and a pleasant change from the daily routine of pretending to work while hiding from the Boss so we could play blackjack. Oops, just kidding, let me rephrase that : We All Worked Extremely Diligently at All times, and we even sang as we did it! (especially when demolishing asbestos without any protective gear at all.) (This whacko welch painter, whom noone could understand when he spoke. (We just let him have his say and then carried on). Anyway, when he sang he was crystal clear and great imitator of anything from the beatles, elvis, tom jones, humperdinkle (or something like that) or plain old ballads like Danny Boy in between babbling incoherently and making imitation farts and saying surprisingly clearly "what was that?".

I've known a number of mid east people over here who have said that they were not free to speak and associate as they wished in the old country. From Kurdish Turks, Jordanians, Lebanese, Afghani (in this instance a son of an exiled judge) great guy, Greeks and an Israeli Sabra et.c..

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CZW2Z27J0

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFgnuLGG70

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3wo8jua4A

Were you in Australia to see what it's like to be a woman in Oz? Where in Oz, what strata, which grouping?

No, I haven't visited Australia but I would like to. I'm sure it's a great place.

I would like to come to Turkey. As a Kurd sympathiser with trotskyist leanings, would I be able to leave? (let alone enter?).

If this statement of yours is not a joke, then it shows how prejudiced you really are.

Or am I pre judiced by the portraying of Turkey in movies like 'Midnight Express'.

It seems you are.

You can't say the Kurds and the 'terrorist' Kurds are two separate issues.

Oh yes I can. It would be unfair to label all Kurds as terrorists because they are not.

And since this thread is about Music on YouTube, I think these issues should be discussed elsewhere.

Were you in Australia to see what it's like to be a woman in Oz? Where in Oz, what strata, which grouping?

No, I haven't visited Australia but I would like to. I'm sure it's a great place.

I would like to come to Turkey. As a Kurd sympathiser with trotskyist leanings, would I be able to leave? (let alone enter?).

If this statement of yours is not a joke, then it shows how prejudiced you really are.

Or am I pre judiced by the portraying of Turkey in movies like 'Midnight Express'.

It seems you are.

You can't say the Kurds and the 'terrorist' Kurds are two separate issues.

Oh yes I can. It would be unfair to label all Kurds as terrorists because they are not.

And since this thread is about Music on YouTube, I think these issues should be discussed elsewhere.

No worries.

But as you bring it up I would go there wanting to meet up with the with the very Kurds who are indeed unfairly labeled as terrorists. See what's really going on. I've no interest in being of a pre judiced mind set. But I aint no saint, that'sfor sure, but how else to ferret out negative prejudices but to face them head on? Thanks for your response by the way, see you round like a rissole.

'elsewhere' - anytime, anywhere

meanwhile back at the farm...

for Anna K - Citizen Jane

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iozj5Tk-U0Q

for sweetiepie and cheekychops, sing it out loud...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WauFkb4jmCI

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=REElUors1pQ

...amazing that there were only about 35000 left to witness live the last act of Woodstock on the 18'th aug 1969. Probably the most overtly political instrumental statement ever.

- http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEtmU3JV74

wiki : "Early on September 18, 1970, Jimi Hendrix died in London under circumstances which have never been fully explained. He had spent the later part of the evening before at a party and was picked up by girlfriend Monika Dannemann and driven to her flat at the Samarkand Hotel. According to the estimated time of death, he died shortly afterwards.

Dannemann claimed in her original testimony that Hendrix the evening before, unknown to her, had taken nine of her prescribed Vesperax sleeping pills." (huh?? how could she know that he had, unknowingly to her, taken the tabs? That's funny.) "According to the doctor who initially attended to him, Hendrix had asphyxiated (literally drowned) in his own vomit, mainly red wine. For years, Dannemann publicly claimed that Hendrix was alive when placed in the back of the ambulance. However, her comments about that morning were often contradictory, varying from interview to interview. Police and ambulance statements reveal that there was no one but Hendrix" (Why did she leave?) "in the flat, and not only was he dead when they arrived on the scene, but had been dead for some time.

Lyrics to a song written by Hendrix and found in the apartment, led Eric Burdon to make a premature announcement on the BBC TV program 24 Hours, that he believed Hendrix had committed suicide Following a libel case brought in 1996 by Hendrix's long-term English girlfriend Kathy Etchingham, Monika Dannemann committed suicide, though her later lover, Uli Jon Roth, has made accusations of foul play.

(Dr) Bob Brown, who was later to become leader of the Australian Greens, was the medical practitioner who pronounced Hendrix to be dead on his arrival at hospital ."

Imagine that. Dr Bob, a very public progressive Oz politician today, and for quite some time, since the Gordon-Franklin Dam struggle.

(get him on the forum, along with mathematicians, forensic anthropologists, anatomists, astronomers etc etc etc)

Edited by John Dolva

IV Non Blondes - What's going on...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcQGsoDkDk

Sinead O'Connor - Don't cry for me Argentina...

(The Movie Evita is quite interesting in how it melds events. As Madonna is singing this, twice, once at her (Evita) characters death, and throughout the movie, Antonio Banderas, who plays Che', appears, and appears again and again in numerous guises as he follows her through her life, commenting, struggling and lamenting.

KRAFTWERK - Autobahn (2008) (let it buffer and then replay)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56h1Hb7zrW4

(I first saw this live (after being a fan for a while) in about '81 (from memory) in the restored Princes Theatre in Melb. Oz. The fururistic light show evident in other K vids was the format then. It gave it that extra 'zing'.)

sand fantasy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hgrIJufNA Brewers, (shoes) testimony.

ABBA - Super Trooper - lots of " me's " out there, many billions, the songbird (star in her own right, is 'number one'). So, a world of me's all feeling like number ones who win when they loose. Great (IMO). What need is there then for fussing and fighting?

Marley - don't give up the fight...

(one (of many) regrets was not following up with a promise to drive from Ottawa with a friend to Ziggy to have a chat. On the way to O. late one eve, knowing what I faced in the navigating through this unknown, I turned back to Totonto, where I had a date the next day. Then on to London. Maybe another time, sorry friend.)