The Education Forum

GO GATORS !

With my apologies to those who realize the difficulty that I have had in overcoming my lack of protocol, which has resulted from my only recent emergence from the Swamps of Florida, I hope that my basic tribal pride will be forgiven, when I once again state on this Forum "GO GATORS...AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN" ! ! !

Charlie Black

Guest Stephen Turner
With my apologies to those who realize the difficulty that I have had in overcoming my lack of protocol, which has resulted from my only recent emergence from the Swamps of Florida, I hope that my basic tribal pride will be forgiven, when I once again state on this Forum "GO GATORS...AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN" ! ! !

Charlie Black

Charlie, please excuse my ignorance, but who, or what, are GATORS. (APART FROM THE OBVIOUS).

Charlie Black

Charlie, please excuse my ignorance, but who, or what, are GATORS. (APART FROM THE OBVIOUS).

They are a football team, and what relevence they have to this forum escapes me completely.

Dawn

Charlie was referring to the University of Florida basketball team, which is playing Ohio State University tonight for the national championship.

If the Gators win, it will be two national basketball titles in a row (with a national football championship sandwiched in between).

To which I will add, GO GATORS!

Charlie is to be forgiven. He suffers from March Madness, an ailment

in the U.S. which runs from November to March. It involves young

college men in shorts running up and down a wooden floor, bouncing

and throwing a ball, and trying to get the ball through a hoop. For the

clueless, it is called the NCAA Basketball Championships. The Florida

Gators, last year's champs hope to repeat tonight Finals. It is a sport in

which every team except one loses their final game, and the losers

and their supporters are inconsolable until next season. There is no

known cure.

Jack

It involves young college men in shorts running up and down a wooden floor, bouncing

and throwing a ball, and trying to get the ball through a hoop.

You make it sound like kind of silly game, which it is. I never watch it except when the Gators are playing, since I'm a UF grad. And to think that U.S. pro basketball players get paid millions of dollars a year (that's individually, not as teams) to play this game, it's just one more sickness about this country's priorities. (Which I guess now makes this thread slightly relevant.)

Guest Stephen Turner
Charlie is to be forgiven. He suffers from March Madness, an ailment

in the U.S. which runs from November to March. It involves young

college men in shorts running up and down a wooden floor, bouncing

and throwing a ball, and trying to get the ball through a hoop. For the

clueless, it is called the NCAA Basketball Championships. The Florida

Gators, last year's champs hope to repeat tonight Finals. It is a sport in

which every team except one loses their final game, and the losers

and their supporters are inconsolable until next season. There is no

known cure.

Jack

Ah, Dawn, Jack and Ron now I see. Our madness is called Football(Soccer) and lasts from August to May every year, two teams of eleven, vastly overpaid men attempt to place a round, plastic object into the "net" without usig their hands. This is sometimes played out to an audiance of more than 90,000. To many in this country this game is of far more importance than any Political, social or economic matter.Which explains a lot.

Ah, Dawn, Jack and Ron now I see. Our madness is called Football(Soccer) and lasts from August to May every year, two teams of eleven, vastly overpaid men attempt to place a round, plastic object into the "net" without usig their hands. This is sometimes played out to an audiance of more than 90,000. To many in this country this game is of far more importance than any Political, social or economic matter.Which explains a lot.

Steve says this as a Manchester United fan. It is true that virtually every male (and an increased number of females) spend a lot of time watching and talking about football. I have to confess that I am also addicted to the game. In fact I am currently working on some materials so that youngsters can study it in depth.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/ENCfootball.htm

Steve says this as a Manchester United fan. It is true that virtually every male (and an increased number of females) spend a lot of time watching and talking about football. I have to confess that I am also addicted to the game. In fact I am currently working on some materials so that youngsters can study it in depth.

Steve is a Man Utd fan? And I thought we could be friends. Man City my friend, Man City.

John

Guest John Gillespie

Charlie Black

"Today the minutes seem like hours.

The hours go so slowly,

And still the skiy is light.

Oh moon, grow bright,

And make this endless day endless night,

TONIGHT!"

Bon Chance,

JG

Charlie Black

As I'm from Destrehan, Louisiana (between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, nearer New Orleans), which is LSU territory, I believe there is a conspiracy afoot to cement the Gators into a dominant position in College athletics. Its bad enough when the Gators football team wins a national championship.... when does it end?

Guest Stephen Turner

John, let us distinquish between "the game", which I love, and, THE GAME, which is the roaring, over rated, over paid, billionaire snot encrusted circus which it has become. Never mind Manchester United, oh how I yearn for a Nottingham Forrest, and Aston Villa, an Ipswich a Burnley, or even John, a Manchester City, instead what do we have? well football, the working Class Ballet, now entirely conforms to its wider Society, in which the rich walk off with all the prizes, and every one else can go to Hell. I would love to ask the Russian workers that Abramovich "disinherited" what they feel about Chelski lifting the European Cup. Bill Shankley was wrong, its really not that important...