The Education Forum

Psychedelic Revolution Launched by CIA - New Evidence

Reposted from Breakfornnews.com (via urbanspaceman):

"Six years in the making, this episode exposes one of the largest coverups in modern academic history – something that may one day be as large as the Piltdown Hoax. We’re going to reveal how the psychedelic revolution was launched by the CFR, CIA and the elite, and how R. Gordon Wasson, the so called discoverer of magic mushrooms, and the founder of the field of ethnomycology, was himself a government asset, a friend of Edward Bernays – the father of propaganda, and is one of the key figures for launching one of the largest mind control operations in history – information never before revealed until today. And it doesn’t stop there. I’m going to provide information that shows how R. Gordon Wasson may have been one of the key players in the organization of the JFK assassination."

- Jan Irvin, host of The Gnostic Media Podcast

http://media.blubrry.com/gnosticmedia/p/www.gnosticmedia.com/podcast/GnosticMedia_PC_144_RGordonWasson_md.mp3

I've never heard of R. Gordon Wasson but maybe I have and it has been a long time.

No kidding. I also meant to post that this audio should definitely be taken with a grain of salt. I do not endorse the website, etc. I simply thought this was a very interesting topic to at least spark discussion regarding someone possibly involved in the JFK issue and the Psych. Revolution that is related to it.

Somebody else on this forum besides me should take the time to read Douglas Valentine's great book, "The Strength of the Wolf -- The Secret History of America's War on Drugs". Lots of information about how the FBN facilitated the CIA's using of psychedelics (sp?) like LSD and shrooms in the CIA's MK/ULTRA project, etc. Also lots on the assassination, Angleton, Jack Ruby's drug-smuggling activites with Dallas Mafia boss Joe Civello, etc, etc, etc...

"You can lead a horse to water, but..."

--Tommy :)

Edited by Thomas Graves

Guest Tom Scully

As I posted, Kathy, it was a different time, and for a brief period, the media had a different message, a different agenda.

Wasson and his buddy's mushroom trip might have been lost to history, but he was so enraptured by the experience that on his return to New York, he kept talking about it to friends. As Jay Stevens recalls in his 1987 book Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream, one day during lunch at the Century Club, an editor at Time Inc. (the parent company of TIME) overheard Wasson's tale of adventure. The editor commissioned a first-person narrative for Life.

Reading the resulting piece — which Life published in its May 13, 1957, issue — is hilarious today. Wasson describes his hallucinations at great length, in reverent terms: "The visions were not blurred or uncertain. They were sharply focused. I felt that I was now seeing plain, whereas ordinary vision gives us an imperfect view; I was seeing the archetypes, the Platonic ideas, that underlie the imperfect images of everyday life." This is druggie talk — febrile and largely meaningless. That it was printed in Life magazine — the most influential publication of the day — without irony shows how na�ve we were. (Wasson in particular: he gave mushrooms to his 18-year-old daughter the day after his first trip.)

After Wasson's article was published, many people sought out mushrooms and the other big hallucinogen of the day, LSD. (In 1958, Time Inc. cofounder Henry Luce and his wife Clare Booth Luce dropped acid with a psychiatrist. Henry Luce conducted an imaginary symphony during his trip, according to Storming Heaven.) The most important person to discover drugs through the Life piece was Timothy Leary himself. Leary had never used drugs, but a friend recommended the article to him, and Leary eventually traveled to Mexico to take mushrooms. Within a few years, he had launched his crusade for America to "turn on, tune in, drop out." In other words, you can draw a woozy but vivid line from the sedate offices of J.P. Morgan and Time Inc. in the '50s to Haight-Ashbury in the '60s to a zillion drug-rehab c enters in the '70s. Long, strange trip indeed.

http://books.google....M...son&f=false LIFE May 13, 1957 - Page 101

A New York Banker goes to Mexico's mountains to participate in the age-old rituals of Indians who chew strange growths that produce visions.

by R. Gordon Wasson

they took LSD together. See letter from Gerald Heard dated February 13, 1960, Clare Boothe Luce Collection, box 766, ....

http://books.google....nG=Search Books

Spread and perils of LSD.‎ - Page 28

Magazine - LIFE - Mar 25, 1966 - v. 60, no. 12 - 136 pages

A Remarkable Mind Drug he colorless, odorless, tasteless substance called LSD

can be made in any college chemistry lab. A black market dose costs only $3 to

lifelsd.jpg

The CIA's role in the birth of the Psychedelic Revolution is not really disputed, Ken Keasy and many of the early acid heads around San Francisco 1st tried LSD etc. when they were guinea pigs in CIA tests.

The CIA's role in the birth of the Psychedelic Revolution is not really disputed, Ken Keasy and many of the early acid heads around San Francisco 1st tried LSD etc. when they were guinea pigs in CIA tests.

Ken Kesey and the merry pronksters were NOTHING compared to Augustus "Bear" Owsley Stanley... he dosed more people than maybe even the CIA....

and the Grateful Dead was the soundtrack of that Psychedelic Revolution.... Kesey simply had MONEY from the book and helped finance much of these activities....

and finally... look around... there aint no revolution no more.... the hopes and dreams of the counter culture can now be heard in a 20 second soundbite on your iPod...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/us/15stanley.html?_r=1

In 1963, Mr. Stanley enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley. The next year, he encountered LSD, a transformative experience. “I remember the first time I took acid and walked outside,” he said in the Rolling Stone interview. “The cars were kissing the parking meters.”

Mr. Stanley had found his calling, and at the time it was at least quasi-legitimate: LSD was not outlawed in California until 1966. What he needed to do was learn his craft, which he accomplished, as Rolling Stone reported, in three weeks in the university library, poring over chemistry journals. Soon afterward, he left college and a going concern, the Bear Research Group, was born.

In 1965, he met Mr. Kesey, and through him the Dead. Enraptured, he became their sound man, early underwriter, principal acolyte, sometime housemate and frequent touring companion. With Bob Thomas, he designed the band’s highly recognizable skull-and-lightning-bolt logo. Mr. Stanley also made many recordings of the Dead in performance, now considered valuable documentary records of the band’s early years. Many have been released commercially.

grateful_dead_bear2.jpg

btw - something many may have not known...

One of the subjects in Tim Leary's experiments was Robert Hunter... who joined with Jerry Garcia to become the main lyricist for the band....

...you aint gonna learn, what you dont wanna know....

... if you get confused.... listen to the music play...

Peace

DJ

One of the subjects in Tim Leary's experiments was Robert Hunter... who joined with Jerry Garcia to become the main lyricist for the band....

Peace

DJ

Around 1962, Hunter was an early volunteer test subject (along with Ken Kesey) for psychedelic chemicals at Stanford University's research covertly sponsored by the CIA in their MKULTRA program.

Peace

DJ

Around 1962, Hunter was an early volunteer test subject (along with Ken Kesey) for psychedelic chemicals at Stanford University's research covertly sponsored by the CIA in their MKULTRA program.

Thanks Martin... was sure it was at Harvard though... but Stanford makes more sense.... Whose "test program" was it at Stanford?

From what I remember, Bear got the recipe and made it himself... lots and lots of it... there were an awful lot of underground chemists at the time...

But I will look more deeply into it

DJ

Anotjher point is that it is actually an old halllucinogenic that (unlike 'extacy' which according to original chem abstracts at uni was manufactured and the means to do so published in 1912 by German Chemists and trialed as a weight loss drug) appears naturally in the plant kingdom in various forms. What I'm getting at just in case anyone thinks so: it was not a mystery. Jusst like the label just another dimension to this.