The Education Forum

Did Ruby talk about Oswald at Ray McKeown's before the assassination?

Chris Newton

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the original Clements FBI report of Feb. 1964 McKeown is clearly asked if he knows Oswald.

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10875#relPageId=38&tab=page

In his HSCA testimony he states they never asked about Oswald (which I have a hard time believing because the FBI asked everyone about Oswald).

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=955#relPageId=674&tab=page

I haven't followed all Mr. Newton's links above, but it is fairly common knowledge that a Lee Harvey Oswald was seen by many witnesses with Jack Ruby in and around Dallas in the summer and fall of 1963. What confuses everyone is that during most of this period the "Lee Harvey Oswald" married to Marina and eventually killed by Jack Ruby was living not in Dallas, but in New Orleans.

The man shown at Ruby's Carousel Club in the photo below was American-born LEE Harvey Oswald, the man who eventually framed Russian-speaking Lee HARVEY Oswald for the assassination of JFK.

LEE_at_CC.jpg

From the Jack Ruby page at HarveyandLee.net:

*In the summer of 1963 Dorothy Marcum was dating Ruby and her aunt worked for Ruby. Dorothy told the FBI that LEE Oswald worked for Ruby during June and July and the two men definitely knew each other.

*Ruby was interviewing Francis Irene Hise for a job as a waitress when a young man entered the Carousel Club and Ruby said “Hi, Ozzie” to the young man. After she was hired Miss Hise served drinks to “Ozzie," whom she recognized after the assassination as LHO.

*Another employee, Clyde Malcolm Limbough, worked for Ruby three years and saw Oswald in Ruby's office on several occasions.

*Helen Kay Smith (“Pixie Lynn”), who worked at the Carousel, told the Dallas Police that she saw Ruby and Oswald together on several occasions.

*Other employees of Ruby who saw Oswald in the Carousel Club were William Crowe, Wally Weston, Dixie Lynn, and Kathy Kay.

*Robert Roy was Ruby's auto mechanic and said that Oswald used to drop off Ruby's car for repairs. Roy then drove Oswald back to Ruby's “burlesque house.”

*Ruby parked his car at Gibbs Auto Service and occasionally allowed friends and associates to borrow his car. Leon Woods was the manager of Gibbs and kept a “check-in and check-out” book that listed the names of people who took Ruby's car from the garage. Mr. Woods gave the book to the FBI following the assassination of President Kennedy, which the FBI later denied.

*During the last week of July (1963) Western Union employee Marshall Hicks delivered several telegrams addressed to “LEE Harvey Oswald” at the Rotary Apartments, 1501-1503 W. 7th St. in Dallas (while HARVEY and Marina were living in New Orleans). The FBI made no attempt to locate copies of these telegrams.

*DPD Detective H.M. Hart, of the Criminal Intelligence Division, received information from a Dallas Police confidential informant who knew Ruby. The informant said that in September (1963) Ruby rented an apartment at 223 S. Ewing for LEE Oswald.

NOTE: Journalist Dorothy Kilgallen wrote in the New York Journal American (June 6, 1964): “It is known that 10 persons have signed sworn depositions to the Warren Commission that they knew Oswald and Ruby to have been acquainted.”

At 20, "Little Lynn" (in private life, Karen Carlin) was Jack's youngest stripper. With long locks of artificially colored gray hair, Lynn had the body of swimsuit contestant—but, on stage, wore little other than a big smile, pink heels and a matching G-string. On November 24, 1963, Little Lynn told U.S. Secret Service agent Roger Warner that she, in his words, "was under the impression that Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, and other individuals unknown to her, were involved in a plot to assassinate President Kennedy and that she would be killed if she gave any information to authorities." Lynn reportedly died of a gunshot wound in Houston in 1964.

Edited by Jim Hargrove

Jim

I'm a great fan of Armstrong's research and I think that it's entirely plausible that there were defector penetration operations using doubles that were conceived by Angleton and/or Dulles. I know that Oswald was being impersonated at least from the beginning of Sept. '63. That said, I'm not fully vested in the Harvey/Lee yet. Maybe if Angleton's segregated files ever get released (...not going to happen in my lifetime if ever!).

How many in the above list of witnesses made a report to the FBI and subsequently were subpoenaed by the HSCA concerning Ruby and Oswald?

McKeown might turn out to be a key link between anti-castro cubans, the mafia and intel ops.

I'm still working on it and if any in your post add to this I'll include them.

John’s had this whole thing figured out for the last two decades, I think, but everyone has a hard time believing the Harvey and Lee stuff, and so we don’t make much progress. Anyway, it’s a little bit scattered in his book, but John puts forward the evidence for the likelihood of a direct chain of command going from CIA’s David Atlee Phillips to KLIF radio’s Gordon McClendon to Jack Ruby to LEE Harvey Oswald. In a nutshell, it goes like this….

American-born LEE Harvey Oswald was famously spotted at the Southland Building in Dallas in September 1963 meeting with CIA’s Phillips (Russian-speaking Lee HARVEY Oswald was living with Marina in New Orleans at the time). That’s probably when the plan to set up the Russian-speaking kid as the patsy in the JFK hit was presented to LEE. But how did LEE get his day to day orders after that?

That’s where Jack Ruby came in. One of Ruby’s best friends was Gordon McLendon, co-founder of KLIF radio in Oak Cliff, and Ruby had many documented interactions between both McLendon and other KLIF staff. For just one example, a delicatessen employee named John Frickstad told the FBI he overheard Ruby on the telephone the night of the assassination saying that he (Ruby) could be reached at KLIF radio.

Gordon McLendon, as luck would have it, was a very good friend of Phillips (in the 1970s, for example, the two worked together to form the Association of Former Intelligence Officers). In fact, McLendon and Phillips had known one another since both men were in their teens.

This is the bare bones of John’s case, but it shows how likely it is that LEE Oswald’s actions in Dallas framing his Russian-speaking counterpart in the weeks preceding the assassination were controlled by David Atlee Phillips through McLendon and Ruby.

I think this was released, (2009?), way after John's book was published but in Angleton's security Classified HSCA testimony of 10-5-78 he, (Angleton), is asked what the meaning of an index card in Oswald's "201" is:

Goldsmith: "...marked "SECRET EYES ONLY" and has Oswald's name on it also. It makes reference to CI Project /RE. The date is 9 November 1959. Do you know what that would be referring to?

Angleton: These were in what?"

Angleton does a dance and suggests he doesn't know unless it had something to do with defectors. Even if it did have something to do with defectors it still obviously made him squirm.

What's your take?

Edited by Chris Newton

Well, on that date (11/09/59) Russian-speaking "Lee Harvey Oswald" was in Moscow playing the English-speaking fool. On that day or the next, the FBI posted a "Wanted Notice Card" for Oswald and Angleton put Oswald on the watch list for HTLINGUAL mail intercepts. I imagine this was all getting a little too close to the bone for Angleton and the boys.

CI-Project.jpg

Well, on that date (11/09/59) Russian-speaking "Lee Harvey Oswald" was in Moscow playing the English-speaking fool. On that day or the next, the FBI posted a "Wanted Notice Card" for Oswald and Angleton put Oswald on the watch list for HTLINGUAL mail intercepts.

The HTLINGUAL information was not an admission of Angleton's. That information was a suggestion of Mr. Goldsmith to Angleton, during testimony, as a possible explanation and he grasped it. It was not even suggested that Angleton initiated the intercept request but a CIA Officer named R [xxxxx] E [xxxxxx] (whom I discovered is named elsewhere because they missed a redaction). "Recent defector to USSR. Former Marine." was also not on the index card in question just the CI-Project/RE and his name and date. Missing from the card you posted was "SECRET EYES ONLY".

It was my assumption, perhaps incorrect, that Angleton put Oswald on the list… but I’d still bet on it despite your information. Angleton was neck deep in all of the Oswald smoke and mirrors. The “Lee HENRY Oswald” file opened in 1960, for example, was kept in both the Office of Security AND Counterintelligence, both of which Angleton was involved in. It is John Armstrong’s contention that Angleton was a major co-conspirator in the assassination of JFK… and I’m with John on that.

The cards I reproduced above are apparently from John Newman, and can be seen here.

Back to Mckeown....

In his HSCA testimony McKeown is asked if he knows Joseph Marella. I had a hard time trying to figure out who this was until I realized this was a spelling error. The correct name is Joseph Merola.

Joseph Merola was described by CIA here as "notorious smuggler, gun runner and general no-goodnik":

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=40162&relPageId=2

Back in 2006 this forum complied some data on Merola:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6041

Finally here is McKeown telling HSCA how Merola would tell McKeown where to "find" guns:

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=955#relPageId=648&tab=page