The Education Forum

Fair Play for Cuba Committee

It is probably of no significance but Waldo Frank served as chairman of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee in 1960.

http://www.spartacus...uk/USAfrank.htm

I am bringing this old thread back because, I didn't want to post it on the British Connections to the Assassination thread. Because despite all of the known MI-6, MI-5, interaction with the CIA, Skybolt, Oswald's interest in Ian Fleming's Bond novels, [ian died in 1964 BTW] and Kirknewton and Bletchley Park codebreaking, I do not believe the British were behind the assassination, and I do not want to appear to be suggesting they were.........As a matter of fact, the proverbial fill in the blank, they did it, is at this point in my life, a revelation that the various visitors over the years to the Forum, touting variations of _______ did it, are usually complete wankers. It is a little more complicated than that.

So, don't drink the Kool-Aid

At any rate, this post is about Kenneth Tynan......

who was one of the original sponsors of the FPCC.

TYNAN, KENNETH -----

Sources: CD 87 SS 80 DTR-00402; CIA 1030-960

Mary's Comments: One of original sponsors of the FPCC. Member British "Who Killed Kennedy" Committee. Critic of U.S.

Kenneth Tynan was born in April 1927 and bypassing his early life, one of the first significant events of Tynan's life was marked by being awarded a scholarship to Oxford University at the outbreak of World War II and the bizarre fact that in 1948, upon the death of Tynan's father -- the man he had known as Peter Tynan -- Tynan learned to his surprise that Peter Tynan was in reality an alias of Sir Peter Peacock, a former mayor of Warrington, who had been successfully leading a double life for more than 20 years, and who had a wife and another family back in Warrington. Tynan's mother was obliged to return Sir Peter's body to his wife and family in Warrington for burial. Tynan's discovery of his father's deception (and his mother's collusion) did long-term damage to his ability to trust others.

An erotic revue which Tynan coordinated and partially wrote, Oh! Calcutta!, debuted in 1969, and became one of the most successful theater hits of all time. It included scenes written by various authors, including Samuel Beckett, John Lennon, and Edna O'Brien, as well as music, and featured frequent nudity.

In 1971, Kenneth Tynan entered the world covered by Sinister Forces trilogist Peter Levenda when he co-wrote with Roman Polanski the script of an unusually grim and violent screen adaptation of Macbeth. Tynan died in California in 1980 and his body was returned to Britain for burial

also see

page 147, The Rolling Stone Interview: John Lennon, Part II - Jann S. Wenner

www.jannswenner.com/Archives/John_Lennon_Part2.aspx - CachedSimilar

Rolling Stone: What do you think the effect was of the Beatles on the history of Britain?

LENNON: I dont know about the "history;" the people who are in control and in power, and the whole class system and the whole bullxxxx buorgeoisie is exactly the same, except there is a lot of fag middle-class kids with long, long hair walking around London in trendy clothes and Kenneth Tynan is making a fortune out of the word "f_ _ _ ."

Apart from that nothing happened. We all dressed up, the same bastards are in control, the same people are runnin' everything.

Robert: In case the reader is wondering what John Lennon was talking about....

On 13 November 1965, Tynan participated in a live TV debate, broadcast as part of the BBC's late-night satirical show BBC-3. He was asked whether he would allow a play to be staged in which sexual intercourse was represented on the stage, and replied: "Well, I think so, certainly. I doubt if there are any rational people to whom the word 'f_ _ _' would be particularly diabolical, revolting or totally forbidden. I think that anything which can be printed or said can also be seen." No recording survives of the programme, but Private Eye always maintained that Tynan's stammer made it the first 13 syllable 4 letter word. This was the first time the word "f_ _ _" had been spoken on British television. Johnson later called Tynan's use of the word "his masterpiece of calculated self-publicity", adding "for a time it made him the most notorious man in the country."

In response to public outcry, the BBC was forced to issue a formal apology. In the House of Commons, four separate censuring motions were signed by a total of 133 Labour Party and Tory backbenchers. Mary Whitehouse, a frequent critic of the BBC over issues of "morals and decency", wrote a letter to the Queen, suggesting that Tynan should be reprimanded by having "his bottom spanked". The irony of Whitehouse's comment has been noted, given the later revelations of Tynan's fetish for flagellation. The episode further encouraged Whitehouse in her campaign against the BBC; it also cut short Tynan's television career.

Robert: Getting back to Tynan's sponsorship of the Fair Play For Cuba Committee, I don't know anything about the material in Mary Ferrell's bio of Tynan, but I can vouch that Tynan was one of the original sponsors of the FPCC.

See below;

Original 28 names listed as supporters of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, which are listed below........

From NY Times, What is Going On In Cuba?

In Order of Appearance

James Baldwin

Simone de Beauvoir

Frank London Brown

Truman Capote

John Henrik Clarke

Pro. Robert G. Colodny

Richard Gibson

Dr. Maurice Green

Edmonde Haddad

Rev. Donald Harrington

John Killens

Sidney Lens

Norman Mailer

Julian Mayfield

Elva dePue Matthews

Prof. Eugene Noble

Rev. John Papandrew

James Purdy

Joseph Quintana

Alan Sagner

Jean Paul Sartre

John Singleton

Robert Taber

G. A. Thurston

Kenneth Tynan

Dan Wakefield

Sidney Weinstein

Robert F. Williams

end

The last thing, which is why I posted this in the first place is that I have been unable to locate any of the documents

referenced by researcher Mary Ferrell, in her bio page of Tynan. I can understand not finding the CD 87

reference, as that lengthy document has large sections in places which are practically totally illegible, the other

document doesen't seem to show up.

Edited by Robert Howard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On November 27, 1963, Alan Courtney advised that John Martino, 2326 Alton Road, Miami Beach. Florida, claimed he received a report that Lee Oswald was in Cuba between September and October 1963, and went there by way of Mexico. Martino further claimed that during the past year Oswald distributed pro-Castro literature in Miami, had the literature printed by a Miami printer, and paid for the printing by check signed by the "Fair Play for Cuba Committee" FPCC.

Would anyone know about this check or printing place?

Edited by Scott Kaiser

I do not recall the content but I and others of the FPCC Chicago Chapter appear in it as officers, and is shown in my 1990 Manuscript/book. I was not called to testify, as it was arranged by the Bureau for my protection while spying on FPCC.

What is the background to you joining the FPCC? William Sullivan once told J. Edgar Hoover that there were more spies in the American Communist Party than actual members. I suspect that was also true of the FPCC.

John

First, involvement in all political spying continues to be my regret. Re; FPCC, as a member of Castro's 26th Of July Movement we were instructed to join this new organization "as it was going to be of help to the {Cuban} revolution" Hoover said " The informant program is the heart of our operations"

Harry

John

First, involvement in all political spying continues to be my regret. Re; FPCC, as a member of Castro's 26th Of July Movement we were instructed to join this new organization "as it was going to be of help to the {Cuban} revolution" Hoover said " The informant program is the heart of our operations"

During the 26th of July Movement, Castro's failed attack led Castro and many others in prison under Batista's regime. Ramon Orozco who was also apart of the 26th of July Movement became Castro's lead radio operator in communications in covert operations. After the release of Castro and others they all regrouped in the mountains which they would then try a second time to overthrow the present government of Cuba, this time it would be more successful with the help of the CIA, Pedro Diaz Lanz and Frank Sturgis. Little did the CIA know they would be double crossed by Fidel Castro himself.

Castro met with Sturgis in Miami before the 1959 coup in Cuba to perpetuate and formulate a plan of attack, Ramon Orozco played a key roll in the 1957 coup for Castro, once Castro took office and declared his legions to Russia many defected. Along with the defectors was Ramon Orozco who later offered his services to the CIA. Orozco became the CIA's top radio man as he would listen in on Cuban intelligence and would decipher and translate Castro's plans, ideas and correspondences with Cuban intelligence.

During the 1961 Bay of Pigs, Orozco was the main radio operator on the ship Barbara. On April 15, 1961 eight B-26 bombers carried out their air strikes to destroy the Cuban air force but was only partially successful, the CIA was awaiting orders to launch the next air strike to finish off Castro's air force base, but no orders were received and the second air strike opportunity was inadvertently canceled. The first person to receive word by radio that the second air strike would not happen would be Ramon Orozco. His roll as a top level radio operator at one time for Fidel Castro led him to directly work for the CIA that ultimately resulted in the failed Bay of Pigs.

Orozco voled to get even with Kennedy, my father's information puts Orozco in Dallas on 11/22/1963 as one of the radio operators during Kennedy's assassination.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20673422/Scan5_0005.jpg

I know that my co-author is getting pissed at me for releasing some of my father's information, but I hate the feeling of having to hold onto it without sharing what my father has left behind. I feel its all apart of history and would like for others to have it as well, the little information I have provided, I hope in some ways it has been helpful to some until the release of my book.

Scott

I apologize it was not Ramon Orozco that's another story, the person was "Osvaldo Coello" who was the radio operator, sorry for any confusion I may have caused and mistake. I wanted to make sure I had the right person and needed to look the name up on my father's information, I just got a little head of myself. SORRY!

Scott

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Does anyone have any further information on the FPCC? Did these released files reveal membership numbers? What was Vincent Lee’s background? What happened to him after he closed the organization down in December, 1963?

John, The Fair Play for Cuba Committee was a PEACE organization that advocated full restoration of diplomatic relations between Castro's Cuba and the United States. Oswald stated this during an interview in New Orleans and this WAS their stated goal.

They NEVER advocated an overthrow of the US government nor did they support political assassination.

Ironically, a secret course of rapproachment with Castro was one of the courses the Kennedy administration was pursuing in the summer of 1963. JFK used "cutouts" like Jean Daniel and William Attwood in order to give himself some appearance of deniability.

• 2 years later...

LEE, V.T. "Ted", formerly of Tampa, was born August 11, 1927, and passed Oct. 28, 2012 in Berkley Calif. Ted was a lifelong Political, Civil Rights & Enviromental Activist. Predeceased by Marjorie Speece Lee who loved him dearly. Survived by daughters Victoria Fox, Kathleen Bristol & Cynthia Konold; 7 grandchildren & many
great-grandchildren. Also Ena Luz Vizciano the love of his life. Bicoastal services to be planned.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tbo/obituary.aspx?pid=161368832#

I would urge anyone to read, or re-read Commission Document 69, you will discover what P.D. Scott was so fond of referencing the Dallas/New Orleans/Florida triangle. Although New Orleans in this particular document, not so much.....

• 3 years later...

Re: James McCord Jr.

"McCord worked for the Central Intelligence Agency. In 1961, and under his direction, a counter-intelligence program was launched against the Fair Play for Cuba Committee." (Wikipedia; Oswald and the CIA by John Newman p.138)

Edited by Michael Clark

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2011 at 11:14 AM, Gil Jesus said:

John, The Fair Play for Cuba Committee was a PEACE organization that advocated full restoration of diplomatic relations between Castro's Cuba and the United States. Oswald stated this during an interview in New Orleans and this WAS their stated goal.

They NEVER advocated an overthrow of the US government nor did they support political assassination.

Ironically, a secret course of rapproachment with Castro was one of the courses the Kennedy administration was pursuing in the summer of 1963. JFK used "cutouts" like Jean Daniel and William Attwood in order to give himself some appearance of deniability.

Gil,

Harry Dean was a Secretary of the FPCC in Chicago in 1961.   Before that, Harry Dean was a member of the Fidel Castro's 26th of July Movement in Chicago, as a fundraiser.   That was why he was asked to serve in the FPCC, and he accepted.

While a member of the FPCC, he became aware that Communists were plentiful in Fidel Castro's regime, and even in the FPCC.  They were not overt -- they were covert -- underground.

So, Harry Dean went to the FBI and volunteered citizen's information about the FPCC for many months.  He tells his story in his self-published manuscript, "Crosstrails" (1990).

Harry Dean is still a member of this FORUM.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo