The Education Forum

New Book!

Most of that sounds reasonable to me. I've never heard or seen any evidence of LHO being homosexual.

The evidence that Jim Garrison presented in the early days of his investigation into the JFK murder came from the Warren Report. There were two citations in particular:

(1) In the testimony of New Orleans lawyer Dean Andrews, he said he met Lee Harvey Oswald in the context of "Clay Bertrand" paying for his legal fees. According to Dean Andrews, Lee Harvey Oswald came to his office accompanied by two "gay kids." Handling legal cases for New Orleans arrests for public homosexuality was Dean Andrews' staple income.

(2) In the testimony of George and Jeanne De Mohrenschildt, Marina complained to them that Lee Harvey Oswald had seriously neglected their marriage bed. George said he believed that Lee Oswald was "asexual."

The fact that Jim Garrison was able to connect Lee Harvey Oswald to David Ferrie -- a known homosexual -- prompted Garrison to begin reasoning along these lines in the early stage of his investigation into the JFK murder.

Again, the topic of the resigned General Walker being involved in the JFK murder might possibly resurrect these errors -- because Walker was allegedly gay -- so we should beware.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Good assessment. I know there were those in LHO's 'circle' that were homosexual but I'm not sure that means LHO was also. I think he was interested in the spy business and those were some he was in contact with.

I know there were those in LHO's 'circle' that were homosexual but I'm not sure that means LHO was also.

What? I'm an old traditional southerner with traditional southern concepts of homosexuality in and of itself - and with fairly contemporary and accepting views of individuals in and of themselves, regardless of what they choose to do in private or whether or not they know that Ian Paice is the second greatest drummer of all time.

And if, in my circles, which contain some homosexuals, I were heard to make that statement i'd be quickly compared to a socially inept puritan.

"I know there are those in his circle that are gay, but i'm not sure if that means he is also."

what the heck does one have to do with the other?

"I know that there are some librarians and some Iowans in his circle, but i'm not sure if that means he is."

a most FASCINATING use of logic.

t Ian Paice is the second greatest drummer of all time. Certainly no higher than 4th.

And if, in my circles, which contain some homosexuals, I'll bet you'd be p*ssed if someone mistook you for one of them, My circle does not include any.

there are some librarians and some Iowans in his circle, How many of each?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I not sure who Walker is referring to as "this outfit" perhaps it is the Military brass as you say but, might he be referring to 'Overseas Weekly", as he compares it to "American Week End" (Which I presume to be a paper as well?) Just wondering if there is any further context to go from.?

Bill

Bill, here's the context as I saw it. The "outfit" was probably the 24th Infantry Division itself -- especially its high-ranking officers. "American Weekend" was a local hospitality group at the US Army base in Augsburg, apparently organized by the wives of Army officers and their troops. They set up a "welcoming" party for General Walker during his first week there, and Walker gave them the cold shoulder. So, they started off on the wrong foot.

In fact, I gather that Walker just walked out of his "welcoming" party. Furthermore, Walker never attended any of the social gatherings of the other high-ranking officers of the 24th Infantry Division whenever their wives were present -- ever. On holidays and weekends Walker would just get in his jeep and hurry away from the base.

But this started the Overseas Weekly newspaper following him -- and spying on him, actually. This started very early in 1960, according to Walker himself. It drove him crazy. They would even sneak into his office at night, until one time he caught one of them. Walker demanded that the Overseas Weekly editor fire this reporter -- but the editor just laughed.

For almost the entire tour of General Walker's duty in Germany, he fought with the Overseas Weekly newspaper -- nearly every single day. We know this because of Walker's testimony to the US Senate during its Subcommittee on Military Preparedness in April 1962.

This was the surprise of his Subcommittee testimony -- he spent most of it bad-mouthing the Overseas Weekly -- to the astonishment of his many followers who were expecting speeches on the level of General Douglas MacArthur, or perhaps Senator Eugene McCarthy.

Nope. The Senate heard hour after hour of complaints about the "immoral" Overseas Weekly, which Walker called, the "Oversexed Weekly"!

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Most of that sounds reasonable to me. I've never heard or seen any evidence of LHO being homosexual.

The evidence that Jim Garrison presented in the early days of his investigation into the JFK murder came from the Warren Report. There were two citations in particular:

(1) In the testimony of New Orleans lawyer Dean Andrews, he said he met Lee Harvey Oswald in the context of "Clay Bertrand" paying for his legal fees. According to Dean Andrews, Lee Harvey Oswald came to his office accompanied by two "gay kids." Handling legal cases for New Orleans arrests for public homosexuality was Dean Andrews' staple income.

(2) In the testimony of George and Jeanne De Mohrenschildt, Marina complained to them that Lee Harvey Oswald had seriously neglected their marriage bed. George said he believed that Lee Oswald was "asexual."

The fact that Jim Garrison was able to connect Lee Harvey Oswald to David Ferrie -- a known homosexual -- prompted Garrison to begin reasoning along these lines in the early stage of his investigation into the JFK murder.

Again, the topic of the resigned General Walker being involved in the JFK murder might possibly resurrect these errors -- because Walker was allegedly gay -- so we should beware.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Good assessment. I know there were those in LHO's 'circle' that were homosexual but I'm not sure that means LHO was also. I think he was interested in the spy business and those were some he was in contact with.

I know there were those in LHO's 'circle' that were homosexual but I'm not sure that means LHO was also.

What? I'm an old traditional southerner with traditional southern concepts of homosexuality in and of itself - and with fairly contemporary and accepting views of individuals in and of themselves, regardless of what they choose to do in private or whether or not they know that Ian Paice is the second greatest drummer of all time.

And if, in my circles, which contain some homosexuals, I were heard to make that statement i'd be quickly compared to a socially inept puritan.

"I know there are those in his circle that are gay, but i'm not sure if that means he is also."

what the heck does one have to do with the other?

"I know that there are some librarians and some Iowans in his circle, but i'm not sure if that means he is."

a most FASCINATING use of logic.

t Ian Paice is the second greatest drummer of all time. Certainly no higher than 4th.

And if, in my circles, which contain some homosexuals, I'll bet you'd be p*ssed if someone mistook you for one of them, My circle does not include any.

there are some librarians and some Iowans in his circle, How many of each?

I'm not sure why i'm surprised you bit, but you did. cool.

I'm from Atlanta, GA, where there is a LARGE community of gay people. I also grew up, and I decided that even though I am a Christian and do not approve of the practice and philosophy of the Gay community, I have NO room to pass judgement on another individual's behavior when mine is so far from ideal. SO, NO, i don't judge gay people, and like i told ol' Bernie, NO, i don't get pissed when people call me names, (mistake me for gay - it happens often, just like i'm called racist often), or italian, or Iowan (I'm thinkin you missed my point, and at this i'm not surprised).

Some people grow up... maybe you don't have any in your circles because they won't have you...? just wonderin'...

I'm not sure why i'm surprised you bit, but you did. cool. Simple, because you, being the sharpest tack in the box, set it up so I would respond so you could dazzle us all with your brilliance.

I'm from Atlanta, GA, where there is a LARGE community of gay people.Well, for what it's worth, you are welcome to keep them all over there. How do you keep up with what the population of homosexuals in Atlanta is? Do they register? So since these are 'all identified as gay' then that means they are not part of the 'regular' community, someone has hung a sign around their necks. I also grew up, (was that a question?)and I decided that even though I am a Christian and do not approve of the practice and philosophy of the Gay community, And you are familiar with the practices and philosophy of the gay community how? I have NO room to pass judgement on another individual's behavior when mine is so far from ideal. Is there someone advocating that you judge someone? Did they lay out some standards for you to judge by?Did who lay out standards and who asked me to be a judge? I've not been retained nor volunteered to be a judge. SO, NO, i don't judge gay people, and like i told ol' Bernie, NO, i don't get pissed when people call me names, (mistake me for gay - it happens often, likely just malfunctioning Gaydar. just like i'm called racist often), or italian, or Iowan (I'm thinkin you missed my point,No, didn't miss your point, as I said you are the sharpest tack.......... and at this i'm not surprised).

Some people grow up...So don't give up there's still a chance......... maybe you don't have any in your circles because they won't have you...?I'm not wandering in circles. I leave that to others... just wonderin'...wandering, perhaps!!

Even though you don't want me to enjoy this, I do. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I'm a little surprised that you couldn't figure out what I was saying about your HP keyboard, but...... no...wait.. no I'm not. Forget that.

And all this because you didn't state the first question correctly and had to restate it to match your answer. Funny how things work out.

Your turn.

Edited by Kenneth Drew

Right, I gather that reporter for OW was Siegfried Naujocks, who Walker had banned from access to the base, after he was caught snooping around command HQ's, looking for dirt on Ted.

Bill

Yes, that's right, Bill. In fact, the Senate Subcommittee Hearings on Military Preparedness held in April 1962, were sponsored by Senators John Stennis and Strom Thurmond, planned months in advance specifically for the purpose of letting General Edwin Walker explain how the Communists in Washington DC had "fired" another great General (just like the "definitely pink" President Harry Truman had "fired" General Douglas MacArthur in 1951).

In those hearings, the Senate had to endure long tirades about this Overseas Weekly reporter, Seigfried Naujocks, and just how much he had annoyed General Walker throughout 1960. It's now a matter of US History -- anybody can look up these public hearings and read all they desire to know about Seigfried Naujocks. It would be funny if it wasn't so pitiful.

What is equally amusing is that JFK and RFK actually feared General Walker's fame. Between the months of November 1961 (when Walker resigned from the US Army) and April 1962 (when the Subcommittee was called to order) the resigned General Edwin Walker gave many speeches in Dallas and throughout the South -- and he attracted very large crowds.

Reports of those speeches say that Walker would get a standing ovation every 60 seconds on average -- and would enjoy a thunderous five-minute standing ovation at the end of his speeches. The press had portrayed Walker as a Media Wizard. Newsweek magazine put Walker on their front cover in December 1961, with the caption, "Thunder on the Right!" Walker was compared with MacArthur by some, and with McCarthy by others. No wonder that JFK and RFK were concerned.

So great was the concern on the part of JFK and RFK that they insisted that the Senate Subcommittee hearings be held behind closed doors -- with no TV or Radio allowed. After the end of the Hearings, however, they deeply regretted their decision, because the resigned General Walker gave such a pitiful performance that JFK and RFK then wished that the American People had been permitted to witness the fiasco live and uncut.

The resigned General Walker could perform very well in front of crowds of True Believers. (This was portrayed in the 1964 movie, Seven Days in May, by Burt Lancaster). But when Walker faced cross-examining Senators, he would lose his temper, bluster, stutter, ask his lawyers for help, and generally put his foot in his mouth. One of the saddest episodes of those Hearings was having to endure Walker complain on and on about that OW reporter, Siegfried Naujocks.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

What further triggered the Kennedy's paranoia about Walker was the "Fulbright Memorandum", and a subsequent separate commissioned report/analysis by a Jewish gentleman ( which I will look up), that warned the K's about the 'threat from the Right" I have this report, and it's far more extensive and detailed than the Fulbright Memorandum. Therefore, the Kennedy's were well aware of who and what the nature of their enemies were at this congruent time. It defiantly had to further their negative reaction to Walker! It is spelled out clearly!

Bill

Edited by William O'Neil

Many intelligent people are lousy public speakers, one factor does not always follow the other. Walker had a lot of assistance in his PR image building campaign over the years. Once they abandoned him ,he became just another eccentric of society. This subsequently fooled many people as to Walkers true power and allegiance at the peak of his celebrity. He was to be that; "Man on the White Horse" that the Rightists longed for. At one point he surely appeared to be that guy, only to disappoint at a later date. There are various reasons for this end result, that are more complex than some imagine. It's an amazing story in itself.

Bill

William, does this book cover in any detail Walker's time in Norway when he dealt with German POW's after WWII?

John, no it does not. Like i said one would like to include everything, but it's not possible. Main focus was 1960 onward. I think you will find a lot of common interest in the content of this work. You are on the same wavelength as we are many respects.I know ( via your older posts) you are hip to some of the things that are covered in the book.

Bill

Yes, I've already looked at some of the chapter headinga and index. Looking forward to reading it and reading what people have to say.

I was a bit gobsmacked when I first heard about the book as I've been connecting segregation and the assassination since I joined the forum, generally with little support. Looks like maybe now at last there'll be something for me to support.

I don't forget

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

The reason I'm interested in Walker and German POW's is because of wanting to know more about Ewald Peters who somehow went from the SA in a town in Germany to leading an Einsatzgruppen in Belarus during Operation Barbarossa to disappearing then reappearing as Adenours/Erhardts Kriminalrat (Head of West Germany's SS) in the late 50's early sixties to being exposed by East German Nazi hunters in early '64 (after visiting LBJ's ranch in Dec'63) and suiciding in jail. He was a friend of US SS members.
So, with a scenario that connects persons in Germany and Walker it's reasonable to look at Nazi-KKK-Segregationists and this guy has a lot of unanswered questions attached to him that if answered may provide important answers to other questions. Ditto H.D Holmes. J.E. Day, Colonel Birdsong ...

I also have a lot of questions about Eastland and the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission and it's Louisiana equivalent. I gather from the headings and index that the book covers this.

What further triggered the Kennedy's paranoia about Walker was the "Fulbright Memorandum", and a subsequent separate commissioned report/analysis by a Jewish gentleman ( which I will look up), that warned the K's about the 'threat from the Right" I have this report, and it's far more extensive and detailed than the Fulbright Memorandum. Therefore, the Kennedy's were well aware of who and what the nature of their enemies were at this congruent time. It defiantly had to further their negative reaction to Walker! It is spelled out clearly!

Bill

The Fulbright Memorandum! Yes! This document was practically proof to the John Birch Society (JBS) that Washington DC had become fully Communist!

Drafted in July 1961 by J. William Fulbright to Robert McNamara (Secretary of Defense), its actual title was, Propaganda Activities of Military Personnel Directed at the Public. It really seems to be aimed directly at General Walker and his Pro-Blue Program in Germany.

General Walker often repeated that his Pro-Blue Program was based on the 1958 National Security Council directive "to make use of military personnel and facilities to arouse the public to the menace of the Cold War." Walker interpreted this as a green-light for him to hire Bircher public speakers to travel to Germany to address his troops.

Further, Walker interpreted this to mean that he could set-up a book-store in Germany, selling right-wing books, including those by the JBS and the favorite authors of Robert Welch, and using the military machinery for partisan politics. Things hit a peak with Walker's use of the "Conservative Society of America Voting Index" invented by Kent and Phoebe Courtney, including a telephone number one could call for advice on voting in the 1960 elections. Walker encouraged his troops to call that number.

Fulbright complained to McNamara that partisans in the military had "made use of extremely radical right-wing speakers and/or materials, with the probable net result of condemning foreign and domestic policies of the administration in the public mind." Fulbright further suggested the scenario that we see in the 1964 movie, Seven Days in May, when he said:

"Perhaps it is farfetched to call forth the revolt of the French generals as an example of the ultimate danger. Nevertheless, military officers, French or American, have some common characteristics arising from their profession and there are numerous military 'fingers on the trigger' throughout the world. While this danger may appear very remote, contrary to American tradition, and even American military tradition, so also is the 'long twilight struggle' (as JFK had put it) and so also is the very existence of an American military program for educating the public."

After General Walker was kicked off his post by the Joint Chiefs for foolishly fighting with the US Army newspaper staff for more than a year at Augsburg, Walker blamed the Fulbright Memorandum for his failures -- saying that this proved that the "Communists" (like Fulbright and McNamara) were terrified of his Pro-Blue Program, and that's why he was fired.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Bill

The Fulbright Memorandum! Yes! This document was practically proof to the John Birch Society (JBS) that Washington DC had become fully Communist!

Drafted in July 1961 by J. William Fulbright to Robert McNamara (Secretary of Defense), its actual title was, Propaganda Activities of Military Personnel Directed at the Public. It really seems to be aimed directly at General Walker and his Pro-Blue Program in Germany.

General Walker often repeated that his Pro-Blue Program was based on the 1958 National Security Council directive "to make use of military personnel and facilities to arouse the public to the menace of the Cold War." Walker interpreted this as a green-light for him to hire Bircher public speakers to travel to Germany to address his troops.

Further, Walker interpreted this to mean that he could set-up a book-store in Germany, selling right-wing books, including those by the JBS and the favorite authors of Robert Welch, and using the military machinery for partisan politics. Things hit a peak with Walker's use of the "Conservative Society of America Voting Index" invented by Kent and Phoebe Courtney, including a telephone number one could call for advice on voting in the 1960 elections. Walker encouraged his troops to call that number.

Fulbright complained to McNamara that partisans in the military had "made use of extremely radical right-wing speakers and/or materials, with the probable net result of condemning foreign and domestic policies of the administration in the public mind." Fulbright further suggested the scenario that we see in the 1964 movie, Seven Days in May, when he said:

"Perhaps it is farfetched to call forth the revolt of the French generals as an example of the ultimate danger. Nevertheless, military officers, French or American, have some common characteristics arising from their profession and there are numerous military 'fingers on the trigger' throughout the world. While this danger may appear very remote, contrary to American tradition, and even American military tradition, so also is the 'long twilight struggle' (as JFK had put it) and so also is the very existence of an American military program for educating the public."

After General Walker was kicked off his post by the Joint Chiefs for foolishly fighting with the US Army newspaper staff for more than a year at Augsburg, Walker blamed the Fulbright Memorandum for his failures -- saying that this proved that the "Communists" (like Fulbright and McNamara) were terrified of his Pro-Blue Program, and that's why he was fired.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Paul -- as usual, you have your facts wrong.

It was not (as you wrote) "Kent and Phoebe Courtney's Conservative Voting Index" - or the Conservative Society of America.

Instead, it was the Americans For Constitutional Action voting index. The ACA was formed in 1958 to promote conservatism.

As Walker himself told the Subcommittee during his testimony: "The ACA Index has no partisan bias as far as I knew. Even if it has some bias,as most documents do have, the index was factual and educational, as far as I could tell." [Hearings Before Special Preparedness Subcommittee, part 4, page 1419.]

In addition, one could reasonably argue that the so-called Reuther Memorandum (December 1961) was more significant than Fulbright's observations.

With respect to your comment that Fulbright's Memorandum was "proof" to the JBS that Washington DC had become "fully Communist":

That is totally absurd. It would help if you took time to actually study history. The Fulbright Memorandum was drafted in July 1961. In January 1960, Robert Welch told the JBS National Council that:

"Today, gentlemen, I can assure you, without the slightest doubt in my own mind that the takeover at the top is, for all practical purposes, virtually complete. Whether you like it or not, or whether you believe it or not, our Federal Government is already, literally in the hands of the Communists."

Obviously Welch/JBS arrived at their conclusion regarding our government long before the Fulbright Memorandum was ever written.

Incidentally, the ACA was founded to counter the influence of the Americans For Democratic Action and unlike Courtney's CSA, the ACA was able to attract support from the entire spectrum of conservatives---including prominent conservatives who despised the Birch Society.

ACA archives are here:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=wiarchives;view=reslist;subview=standard;didno=uw-whs-mss00309

Edited by Ernie Lazar