The Education Forum

Paxton Directs JFK Assassination Movie

Despite the title of the piece it appears this project is some way off yet -

"It’s hard not to love Bill Paxton. He’s had memorable roles in more iconic movies than just about any actor in Hollywood. He’s worked steadily, become famous, and for the most part done it without ever being though of as a leading man. And in person, he’s just about the most affable, easy going, friendly guy you’ll ever meet.

In 2001 Bill directed his second movie, but his first since a little mostly unseen indie in Fish Heads. The 2001 film was Frailty, a chilling, smartly constructed little horror thriller that left everyone wanting to see him behind the camera more. He followed that up with The Greatest Game Ever Played, a golf movie which, frankly, didn’t feel like it was the right genre for him.

Even though Greatest Game wasn’t great, I’m still excited to see what he’ll direct next. Our friends over at Moviehole caught up with Bill promoting his excellent HBO series ‘Big Love’ and put the director question to him. Paxton’s response? He’s got two new directing projects on the way.

The first is based on a novel by crime writer George Pelecanos called “Shoedog”. Paxton calls it an “urban-western”, and says he wants to modify the tone of it a bit to “go back to that hard-boiled ’70s style with terse dialogue - it’s men taking down a liquor store, dealing with the consequences, all that kind of stuff.” The book is about a restless man named Constantine who travels the world. He meets a home town boy named Randolph, and the two hatch a plan to rob a liquor store. Constantine falls for a woman, and becomes embroiled in treacheries and feuds over his head, while Randolph, a “shoedog” can smell trouble coming.

His second project, one which Paxton says is still five years or more off, is much more audacious. Bill says his dream project is to “make a movie about the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.” Yep, he wants to go the Oliver Stone route. But then doesn’t just about every guy in his age range? "

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Paxton-Dire...Movie-5280.html

"It’s hard not to love Bill Paxton. He’s had memorable roles in more iconic movies than just about any actor in Hollywood. He’s worked steadily, become famous, and for the most part done it without ever being though of as a leading man. And in person, he’s just about the most affable, easy going, friendly guy you’ll ever meet.

In 2001 Bill directed his second movie, but his first since a little mostly unseen indie in Fish Heads. The 2001 film was Frailty, a chilling, smartly constructed little horror thriller that left everyone wanting to see him behind the camera more. He followed that up with The Greatest Game Ever Played, a golf movie which, frankly, didn’t feel like it was the right genre for him.

Even though Greatest Game wasn’t great, I’m still excited to see what he’ll direct next. Our friends over at Moviehole caught up with Bill promoting his excellent HBO series ‘Big Love’ and put the director question to him. Paxton’s response? He’s got two new directing projects on the way.

The first is based on a novel by crime writer George Pelecanos called “Shoedog”. Paxton calls it an “urban-western”, and says he wants to modify the tone of it a bit to “go back to that hard-boiled ’70s style with terse dialogue - it’s men taking down a liquor store, dealing with the consequences, all that kind of stuff.” The book is about a restless man named Constantine who travels the world. He meets a home town boy named Randolph, and the two hatch a plan to rob a liquor store. Constantine falls for a woman, and becomes embroiled in treacheries and feuds over his head, while Randolph, a “shoedog” can smell trouble coming.

His second project, one which Paxton says is still five years or more off, is much more audacious. Bill says his dream project is to “make a movie about the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.” Yep, he wants to go the Oliver Stone route. But then doesn’t just about every guy in his age range? "

Bill Paxton has been doing his research for some time. I know he has been in contact with at least one member of this forum. I know of another Hollywood producer who has commissioned a script on the assassination. I have read it and it is very good. The producer has a very interesting background. He is the son of a leading CIA official who worked closely with Frank Wisner and Cord Meyer. He is currently looking for investors to back the film.

hmmm.... someone who could be said to be a person that brings the Mormons into the public agenda, perhaps even in the process legitimising the LDS, and consequently by inference assorted persons of assassination interest, (even though the Church itself seeks to separate themselves from Biglove), will make a film on the assassination of JFK.

A conflict of interest?

Or am I reading your post wrong, John. Is the script that you've read the one that Paxton will use?

If so, perhaps you could send Harry J. Dean a copy of the JFK script?

I'd like to then read what he would have to say.

Hi David,

That's great news!!! Good for him!!

I wonder if his wanting to do the movie was in any way related to his visit to the Sixth Floor Museum this year. He was in the crowd in FW on 11/22/63, and was evidently captured on a film taken by Roy Cooper. They found him in the film.

He also left an Oral history there.

Kathy Beckett

Exactly what I was thinking Kathy. It has to be related.

I hope he does it, and does the President proud.

In fact if "just about every guy in his age range" wants to make a movie about President Kennedy, then they should DO IT.

hmmm.... someone who could be said to be a person that brings the Mormons into the public agenda, perhaps even in the process legitimising the LDS, and consequently by inference assorted persons of assassination interest, (even though the Church itself seeks to separate themselves from Biglove), will make a film on the assassination of JFK.

A conflict of interest?

Or am I reading your post wrong, John. Is the script that you've read the one that Paxton will use?

No, it is the other script that I have read. The Paxton script has not been written yet.

No, it is the other script that I have read. The Paxton script has not been written yet.

As for Paxton and The Greatest Game.

I read the book The Greatest Game and saw the movie. It wasn't the greatest story nor the greatest movie, but at least it was based on reality and they tried to make the film somewhat close to what actually happened.

They are both based on a really great story - but they focus on the wrong hero - Francis Ouimet, The Country Club at Brookline, Massachusetts (JFK's hometown) caddy who defeated Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in a playoff for the 1913 US Open golf championship.

Actually the forgotten American hero is Johnny McDermott, the two-time defending champion (1911-1912), the first homegrown American to win the national championship, and at 19 years old, still the youngest.

McDermott, the pro at the Atlantic City Country Club, was the first American to wrestle the U.S. Open trophy from the European English and Scottish professionals who had won the first dozen times the tournament was held. But because Vardon and Ray had not competed in 1911-12, they said McDermott hadn't played the best.

A week before the 1913 Open at Brookline they held a tournamet at Shawnee-on-the Delaware, where McDermott defeated Vardon and Ray by eight strokes and promised that the British visitors would not take the American national trophy home with them. That threat took the game of golf off the sports pages and onto the front pages of every newspaper in the USA and Europe, and suddenly the 1913 US Open at Brookline was The Greatest Game ever played.

While it was young Ouiment, the Massachusetts amateur champion, who kept McDermott's promise, it was McDermott who stirred up the pot and made it an international media event. McDermott went to Europe, missed the start of the British Open, was shipwrecked on his return trip, and suffered a nervous breakdown, never to play tournament golf again. Ouimet stayed an amateur and later became the first American to be the head of St. Andrews Golf Club.

The book The Greatest Game tells you all this, but the focus is on Ouimet, and neglects McDermott, America's forgotton hero.

Paxton portrays McDermott as an older - taller, red haird mustachioed Mick who gets into a fistfight with Ted Ray, while actually he was a short, spunky, teetotaling Catholic who attended mass every morning, though he did get into fistacuffs with Ray.

While Paxton is building on his experience, he will have to approach the JFK assassination in a unique way to make a serious major feature film, and it can't be as wishy washy, sentemental claptrap like The Greatest Game.

I hope I didn't get too sidetracked here, but a little known fact is that I've written a book on the history of golf in America - Birth of the Birdie - The First 100 Years of Golf at Atlantic City Country Club.

I also compiled an ever increasing list of references to golf that I've come across in the course of my JFK research, and wrote a few articles on Presidential Golf, the most recent on the late Gerald Ford at Pine Valley, which was recently posted online at Twooverpar.com, if anybody's interested.

http://www.twooverpar.com/index_files/GeraldFord.htm

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

This is the same Bill Paxton who has been named as a partner with Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman in the ten part production of Vinny Bugliosi's Reclaiming History?

The guy whose hard not to love?

And Goetzman, the former conspiracy theorists converted Lone Nut after reading Bugliosi's book, cannot make a ten part serial about the assassination without bringing out LHO's character, and generating further public interest in the issue of the still secret records.

I'll have to send Paxton my "Conspiracy Golf" list.

Does anybody have any more background on these guys?

Thanks,

BK

"It's hard not to love Bill Paxton. He's had memorable roles in more iconic movies than just about any actor in Hollywood. He's worked steadily, become famous, and for the most part done it without ever being though of as a leading man. And in person, he's just about the most affable, easy going, friendly guy you'll ever meet.

In 2001 Bill directed his second movie, but his first since a little mostly unseen indie in Fish Heads. The 2001 film was Frailty, a chilling, smartly constructed little horror thriller that left everyone wanting to see him behind the camera more. He followed that up with The Greatest Game Ever Played, a golf movie which, frankly, didn't feel like it was the right genre for him.

Even though Greatest Game wasn't great, I'm still excited to see what he'll direct next. Our friends over at Moviehole caught up with Bill promoting his excellent HBO series 'Big Love' and put the director question to him. Paxton's response? He's got two new directing projects on the way.

The first is based on a novel by crime writer George Pelecanos called "Shoedog". Paxton calls it an "urban-western", and says he wants to modify the tone of it a bit to "go back to that hard-boiled '70s style with terse dialogue - it's men taking down a liquor store, dealing with the consequences, all that kind of stuff." The book is about a restless man named Constantine who travels the world. He meets a home town boy named Randolph, and the two hatch a plan to rob a liquor store. Constantine falls for a woman, and becomes embroiled in treacheries and feuds over his head, while Randolph, a "shoedog" can smell trouble coming.

His second project, one which Paxton says is still five years or more off, is much more audacious. Bill says his dream project is to "make a movie about the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy." Yep, he wants to go the Oliver Stone route. But then doesn't just about every guy in his age range? "

Bill Paxton has been doing his research for some time. I know he has been in contact with at least one member of this forum. I know of another Hollywood producer who has commissioned a script on the assassination. I have read it and it is very good. The producer has a very interesting background. He is the son of a leading CIA official who worked closely with Frank Wisner and Cord Meyer. He is currently looking for investors to back the film.

• 2 years later...

A conflict of interest?

Can anyone shed any more light on either of these scripts?

Is Paxton' script now being developed based on Bugliosi's book?

Is the script John Simkin read, by the son of a former CIA official, in production?

Or what became of it?

BK

• 4 weeks later...
If the film is ever to be made, 2013 is the best selling point they could hope for.

I assume since Paxton is involved in the Hanks production, his seemingly conspiracy oriented project is off the table.

An interview with Paxton was taped for the Oral History project at the Sixth Floor.

Has anyone either listened to the interview or read the transcript?

Thanks,

BK

If the film is ever to be made, 2013 is the best selling point they could hope for.

I assume since Paxton is involved in the Hanks production, his seemingly conspiracy oriented project is off the table.

An interview with Paxton was taped for the Oral History project at the Sixth Floor.

Thanks,

BK

From everything I've read about the Paxton/Hanks collaboration it is to be a documentary...an Ozzie did it documentary. I forget where I read it, but a google search should suffice.

Hi Norman,

The Paxton/Hanks collaboration is slated to be a HBO TV Serial dramtization of Vincent Bugliosi's non-fiction Reclaiming History, and will include a separate, short documentary on the assassination based on Bugliosi's book.

Neither the docudrama nor the documentary are in production, but slated for release for the 50th anniversary of the assassination in 2013, three years from now.

Paxton is from Texas, and was in Fort Worth on the morning of the assassination, and is said to be seen in photographs of the crowd in front of JFK as he addressed them in front of the hotel a few hours before the assassination.

Since Paxton is a witness to certain events, and a major motion picture guy (The Greatest Game), who has endorsed Vincent Bugliosi's Bogus book on the assassination, and helped sell it to Hanks and HBO, and had previously hawked pro-conspiracy themes for a film, I was wondering what he told the Sixth Floor Muse Oral History Project.

The Sixth Floor, having recently become the official repository of records from the Dallas DA office, should open its records totally, posting the transcripts of their oral historys and the recordings themselves, to allow researchers and ordinary citizens to read and hear the history and decide for themselves what to believe.

In fact, since these records were produced by the tax-paying citizens, and actually belong to the people and not any private enterprise, they should be made totally available to anyone who wants to read/hear them, as should all of the government's records.

Now if someone has actually gone to the Sixth Floor Muse Reading Room and read the transcript or heard the tape of what Bill Paxton had to say, or has a copy of the transcript, I'd like to read it or know what Bill had to say at the time.

And if no one as, I will reward anyone who goes over to the Sixth Floor, requests this record, makes a copy of it, and shares it with me and anyone else who is interested.

The Sixth Floor, like the NARA and the government itself, has a responsibility not only to preserve these public records, but to make them readily available without having burglars going in to steal them.

Bill Kelly

Thanks,

BK

From everything I've read about the Paxton/Hanks collaboration it is to be a documentary...an Ozzie did it documentary. I forget where I read it, but a google search should suffice.

Hi Norman,

The Paxton/Hanks collaboration is slated to be a HBO TV Serial dramtization of Vincent Bugliosi's non-fiction Reclaiming History, and will include a separate, short documentary on the assassination based on Bugliosi's book.

Neither the docudrama nor the documentary are in production, but slated for release for the 50th anniversary of the assassination in 2013, three years from now.

Paxton is from Texas, and was in Fort Worth on the morning of the assassination, and is said to be seen in photographs of the crowd in front of JFK as he addressed them in front of the hotel a few hours before the assassination.

Since Paxton is a witness to certain events, and a major motion picture guy (The Greatest Game), who has endorsed Vincent Bugliosi's Bogus book on the assassination, and helped sell it to Hanks and HBO, and had previously hawked pro-conspiracy themes for a film, I was wondering what he told the Sixth Floor Muse Oral History Project.

The Sixth Floor, having recently become the official repository of records from the Dallas DA office, should open its records totally, posting the transcripts of their oral historys and the recordings themselves, to allow researchers and ordinary citizens to read and hear the history and decide for themselves what to believe.

In fact, since these records were produced by the tax-paying citizens, and actually belong to the people and not any private enterprise, they should be made totally available to anyone who wants to read/hear them, as should all of the government's records.

Now if someone has actually gone to the Sixth Floor Muse Reading Room and read the transcript or heard the tape of what Bill Paxton had to say, or has a copy of the transcript, I'd like to read it or know what Bill had to say at the time.

And if no one as, I will reward anyone who goes over to the Sixth Floor, requests this record, makes a copy of it, and shares it with me and anyone else who is interested.

The Sixth Floor, like the NARA and the government itself, has a responsibility not only to preserve these public records, but to make them readily available without having burglars going in to steal them.

Bill Kelly

Bill, a few months back there was an article claiming Paxton was in Texas working on the film. It is gonna be a 10-part mini-series, a la The Pacific, a Hanks/Goetzman production on WWII that just finished up.

Thanks,

BK

Hi Norman,

Bill Kelly

Bill, a few months back there was an article claiming Paxton was in Texas working on the film. It is gonna be a 10-part mini-series, a la The Pacific, a Hanks/Goetzman production on WWII that just finished up.

Hi Pat,

Yea, I've heard rumors that there's something in production, but its not the Bugliosi book that will aired in 2010, unless you can provide links to the story or anything more difinitive.

I think Hanks is on record as saying that they don't have a script yet and it won't be on their production schedule for a year or so.

If you or anybody has better info on the production schedule, what they are filming now, etc., I'd like to know more.

Thanks,

BK

Thanks,

BK

Hi Norman,

Bill Kelly

I read that as well Pat

Thanks,

BK

Hi Norman,

Bill Kelly

I read that as well Pat

If two people have read that Paxtons JFK series is in production,

why can't I read it?

Bill Kelly