The Education Forum

Mary Moorman, age 78, to speak on JFK assassination

Guest Robert Morrow

which is called, WHAT ELSE: photo alteration... and you guys think altering the Z-film is difficult for those in the know circa 1963-64.... lmao! carry on, Craig! :ice

Yea, that's EXACTLY what I called it when I published this adjusted version of the drum scan years ago.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha! After years of denial, they admit they ENHANCED the DRUM SCAN!

Jack

Jack missed the entire point once again and shows his failing memory.

The drum scan ...exactly as it came from the scanner...is unchanged. YOU have a copy. Many people have a copy. The untouched original c=scan was widely distrubuted to anyone who wanted one. I know because I burned the disks and paid the postage.

The original scan was unadjusted by the company who produces it. It was flat in contrast. A small version of the original 100+ mb file is below.

MOORMAN_NEG_SCAN.jpg

I originally published the adjusted version here on this forum in 2007. The threads are here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9286

From that FEB 2007 thread:

The extremely large Moorman scan posted by Robin has overwhelmed THE PARTY'S OVER

thread by Chris, making further replies impossible. I have a 19" screen and the Moorman

is twice the size of the screen, blocking all access to the thread. Can anything be done

about this?

Jack

PS...great Moorman image, Robin. The resolution is fantastic. Can you provide the

provenance. It appears to be my scan of the Gordon Smith copy from the original,

but my scan is not nearly that good. Can you give details?

Yes that is a great Moorman image Jack, its the Thompson drum scan you usually call trash. Did you get some new glasses?

I have to credit Lamson this one time IF that is indeed the famed drum scan, because the

quality is very good for a copy of the original print which has the fingerprint. At first glance

it appeared to be the Gordon Smith copy, which is one of the best that I have, made from

the original. As far as I know I have never seen the FULL UNCROPPED drum scan before.

This image, like the Smith image, includes the notches of the 4x5 film holder on the edges.

I did not know the drum scan had that feature. Previously I had only seen cropped images

from the drum scan, and perhaps inferior copies at that. The image posted by Robin is superior

to the Smith copy by about 10 percent in the Dmin/Dmax densitometer range. I compared

the two side by side full screen. The drum scan density is about 10 percent better; this is

mainly seen in the very dark areas such as the wooden fence, the badgeman tree, etc which

are enough lighter on the drum scan to discern detail, but are more blocked up on the Smith

copy. However, neither the drum scan nor the Smith copy, both made from the faded

original with the fingerprint, can match the high quality of the Thompson Number One print

as I have shown many times.

The drumscan exposure was very likely made using an electronic densitometer, which

takes a reading of the lightest area and darkest area and calculates a precise exposure

for minimum and maximum density. When I formerly owned three photostat cameras,

that is how my camera operators turned out high quality halftones...by using the densitometer

to set the camera exposure.

Jack

Actually the file that came off the the drum was very flat, as was requested. We asked the scanner tech to add no level or curve correction, nor any sharpening. The goal was to simply get the contents of the negative into a digital form without inducing artifacts, ringing or density changes which might effect the measurements on the pedestal area which was the entire reason for having the scan made.

The image Robin has posted was downsampled for the original 109 mb 8 bit file which is simply too large to post on the net. The original

scan was about 4"x5" at 2400 dpi or 32"x40" at 300dpi. At this resolution the negative was scanned down to film grain level.

I made the following adjustments to the image Robin has posted:

I downsampled the image to around 11x14 at 300 dpi IIRC, (Robin may have reduced it further)

I adjusted the levels to bring the flat tonal range of the image to a more normal level.

I created a duplicate layer and darkend that layer a bit more using levels, then I erased about half of that layer with a large, soft edge brush. I did this to even out the image from right to left, as the right side was quite a bit lighter than the left. This in essence is a digital "burning" similar to doing the same inthe darkroom. I then flattened the image.

Finally I saved the image in a lossless compresssed format, PNG and placed it on a pubilc photosite and made it available for download.

The goal was simply to adjust the master file to produce an image that included a full tonal range

There are many copies of the original, un-adjusted drum scan file in the wild. Tink sent me the one to the two master disks (one went directly to Gary Mack) and I made about two dozen duplicates of the master cd. SOme of htese were sent to the members of the group I was part of that was working on the Moorman in the Street issue. The rest I made available to anyone who requested it via the JFKResearch forum. This included a number of folks who were on the opposite side of the issue. I think I even sent a cd to Jack but I'm not sure.

In any case, I am willing to make the original file available for download. If you PM me with your email address I will sent you a username and passsword for my ftp site. I will make the file available on Monday and keep the ftp account open during the rest of the working week.

• 2 weeks later...

You left out that in the latter, Gary Mack had to prompt repeated RETAKES by Mary to keep her from saying WE STEPPED INTO THE STREET.

Excerpt from.eon.businesswire.com:

NEW INFORMATION FROM ONE OF THE LAST LIVING WITNESSES

Among the questions Mr. Stover will tackle is Ms. Moorman’s precise position when she took the photograph of JFK slumping over. That positioning is a key factor in many theories about the assassination.

“The popular view is that Mary was standing on the grass,” Mr. Stover said. “While there are photos that might indicate she was on the grass at one point, her exact location when she snapped the photograph has long been a matter of debate. We believe Mary plans to set the record straight with this interview.”

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110520006022/en/JFK-assassination/Mary-Moorman/Zapruder

Edited by Michael Hogan

You left out that in the latter, Gary Mack had to prompt repeated RETAKES by Mary to keep her from saying WE STEPPED INTO THE STREET.

Excerpt from.eon.businesswire.com:

NEW INFORMATION FROM ONE OF THE LAST LIVING WITNESSES

Among the questions Mr. Stover will tackle is Ms. Moorman’s precise position when she took the photograph of JFK slumping over. That positioning is a key factor in many theories about the assassination.

“The popular view is that Mary was standing on the grass,” Mr. Stover said. “While there are photos that might indicate she was on the grass at one point, her exact location when she snapped the photograph has long been a matter of debate. We believe Mary plans to set the record straight with this interview.”

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110520006022/en/JFK-assassination/Mary-Moorman/Zapruder

I assume you have to register at iAntique.com to view this interview, correct?

Here is the correct url announcing the show:

http://www.iantique.com/event/1027

<quote on>

Gary Stover, an iAntique video host, will interview Ms. Moorman, now

78, and talk about that fateful day in Dallas, why she never talked to

the Warren Commission and the three Polaroid photos that remain in her

possession.

Date 5/24/11 Time 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM

<quote off>

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

Strange silence here in response to Moorman's interview last night on iAntique.com.

Moorman said she was on the grass, not the street, when taking the infamous Polaroid picture.

She heard three shots.

She was not approached by any sinister people.

She was not threatened in any way.

She tactfully suggested that Jean Hill was good at telling stories because she was a teacher!

And more ...

Apparently iAntique.com is holding a live event panel discussion next week to discuss Moorman's interview.

Have a nice day. You never know .... tomorrow could be disappointing!

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

Strange silence here in response to Moorman's interview last night on iAntique.com.

Moorman said she was on the grass, not the street, when taking the infamous Polaroid picture.

She heard three shots.

She was not approached by any sinister people.

She was not threatened in any way.

She tactfully suggested that Jean Hill was good at telling stories because she was a teacher!

And more ...

Apparently iAntique.com is holding a live event panel discussion next week to discuss Moorman's interview.

Have a nice day. You never know .... tomorrow could be disappointing!

Peter Fokes,

Toronto

Thanks, Peter, that's what I figured. I actually joined the dang website so I could watch the interview, but they never sent me a reminder. Dang. Fortunately, however, the orchestrator of the thing says he'll put the video up soon.

I wonder why she said that, when during her interview on Elm Street with Gary Mack, he had to prevent her from saying "we stepped out into the street" multiple times?

Curious.

Nice catch, Martin.

I wonder why she said that, when during her interview on Elm Street with Gary Mack, he had to prevent her from saying "we stepped out into the street" multiple times?

Curious.

Curious.

Yes, she did step out on the street before the President's limo arrived. She stepped into the street to take a picture of Police Officer George Lumpkin. Moorman said she stepped back onto the edge of the curb on the grass before taking her infamous photo. Duncan has posted a link to the interview, so you can hear her make this comment yourself.

:blink:She seems to have had great difficulty through the years, about where she stood, she has changed her mind, too often, to be taken seriously any longer....imo...b :blink:

Sounds like you are talking about Jean Hill not Mary Moorman!

Cheers

Curious.

The video can be viewed here. The Video - Mary Moorman Breaks Her Silence

You are a scholar and a gentleman ... thank you very much. Nice to be able to refresh one's memory and notes!

:blink:She seems to have had great difficulty through the years, about where she stood, she has changed her mind, too often, to be taken seriously any longer....imo...b :blink:

Sounds like you are talking about Jean Hill not Mary Moorman!

Cheers

NO, MARY, CHECK THROUGH GOOGLE AND THE VIDEOS AS WELL, ALSO HERE IN OLDER THREADS...FOR INFORMATION...IF YOU HAVE NOT COME UPON IT......TAKE CARE B..

Curious.

Yes, she did step out on the street before the President's limo arrived. She stepped into the street to take a picture of Police Officer George Lumpkin. Moorman said she stepped back onto the edge of the curb on the grass before taking her infamous photo. Duncan has posted a link to the interview, so you can hear her make this comment yourself.

But that is not what she said in 97.......b...

Mary has stated she WAS in the street , when she took her polaroid.....

She was interviewed by KRLD in 1997....The interview was originally, and =

kindly provided by Debra Conway.....

Moorman: " UH, just immediately before the presidential car came into =

view, we were, you know, there was just tremendous excitement. And my =

friend who was with me ( Jean Hill ) we were right ready to take the =

picture. And she's not timid. She, as the car approached us, she did =

hollar for the president . " Mr.President, look this way !=20

AND I'D STEPPED OUT OFF THE CURB INTO THE STREET TO TAKE THE PICTURE. =

AND SNAPPED IT IMMEDIATELY..And that evidently was the first shot . You =

know I could hear the sound.And.

Jones: "Now, when you heard the sound, did you immediately think 'rifle =

shot'..?"