The Education Forum

guns

Can anyone ID this gun.

hemming.gif

Is it like a russian short drum gun?

Looks a little like a Volunteer Arms--Commando Mark III.

Made by little machine shop near Oak Ridge, Tn.

Edited by Jim Phelps

Looks a little like a Volunteer Arms--Commando Mark III.

Made by little machine shop near Oak Ridge, Tn.

Could be right Jim a Volunteer Arms--Commando Mark III "Thompson" 45 ACP Rifle

Can anyone ID this gun.

hemming.gif

Looks very much like an AUTO-ORDNANCE THOMPSON M1A1. The tip of the barrel looks different though. Possibly an M-2. It's definitely Hemming holding it.

Edited by Greg Burnham

Guest Tom Scully

******** moderator comments *********

I added a description to the title of the thread because the title, as it was, displaying only the word "guns"

did not accomplish what the title of a thread on this forum should convey, a less vague description of what the thread

subject is about.

The link to another thread posted by Michael Hogan is problematic, because the content of several posts on the linked

thread, including the post directly linked, displays expletives and phrases not suitable for viewing by school children,

the standard attempted per the description in the forum rules.

This is especially problematic because members of the moderation team have found content of other posts on this forum

unsuitable because links displayed in those posts resolve to pages on other websites displaying content unsuitable for

viewing by school children.

Unsuitable language and phrases should not be on display in posts on this forum, in the first place, so how do we

reconcile these inconsistencies?

I am posting these observations partly to prepare members interested with what will probably have to happen. The posts displayed

on the thread Michael Hogan has linked to in his recent post on this thread, will be edited to remove the expletives and

unsuitable phrases, or they will be made invisible.

Since this involves altering or disappearing quotes represented as authored by an historic and now deceased person of interest

related to JFK Assassination research, any moderation decision related to these quotes is controversial.

As an aside, I wonder what kind of a world it is that we live in, where the discussion in great detail of the assassination of the president of the United States, the murder of his accused assailant, the cover up and alteration of the murder investigations, the posting of visual media of the assassination and of the murder, and of graphic autopsy photos of the slain president, are all deemed suitable for exposure to school children, while swear words and street talk descriptions of routine, bodily functions, are not suitable and must be edited out?

On second thought, Mike--

I'm not sure why Hemming told Lee it was a Standard Issue M3a2 sub-machine gun. In my view, that is false. If Gerry was still alive I'd call him on the phone right now and ask him why the smoke screen? He'd then proceed to yell at me for a few minutes, I'd yell back for a few more and then he'd finally get down to the story...riddled with expletives all the way. Sure do miss the guy. He was encyclopedic. Perhaps it is what he said it was and I just don't see it in that photo? Maybe, but doubtful. FWIW

Edited by Greg Burnham

Can anyone ID this gun.

hemming.gif

Looks very much like an AUTO-ORDNANCE THOMPSON M1A1. The tip of the barrel looks different though. Possibly an M-2. It's definitely Hemming holding it.

Thank you very much Greg. That seems very much it. Most grateful.

Auto-Ordnance-Corporation-Thompson-Model-M1A1-A27210.jpg

I understand and don't object to the concerns expressed by Tom. I understand the addendum to the title and don't object there either.

I'd just like to add a qualifier.

Recently I have had some conversations with a person familiar with the pre op phoenix ops. This has led to a scrutiny of persons who may or may not have had anything to do with Hemming. I named the topic generically because I thought a look at weaponry a different theater, which persons in early Vietnam SEAL photos carry, and it struck me that a weapon used looked very similar and a person in one photo bore a resemblance to a young Hemming.

I can see now that the weapons are different.

Can anyone ID this gun.

hemming.gif

Thank you very much Greg. That seems very much it. Most grateful.

Auto-Ordnance-Corporation-Thompson-Model-M1A1-A27210.jpg

I understand and don't object to the concerns expressed by Tom. I understand the addendum to the title and don't object there either.

I'd just like to add a qualifier.

Recently I have had some conversations with a person familiar with the pre op phoenix ops. This has led to a scrutiny of persons who may or may not have had anything to do with Hemming. I named the topic generically because I thought a look at weaponry a different theater, which persons in early Vietnam SEAL photos carry, and it struck me that a weapon used looked very similar and a person in one photo bore a resemblance to a young Hemming.

I can see now that the weapons are different.

Your most welcome, John.

I think my dad packed the same gun.

He was also qualified on a 50mm as a side gunner on a B-17.

KellysCafe: September 6, 1949 Cramer Hill Camden

I think that's a Thomson M1921, Bill. Since you can't see the stock in the picture you linked, do you remember if it (the stock) looked like this?

k235888_US%20WW2%20Thompsom%20M1921%20Colt%20submachine%20gun%20with%2020-.jpg

Yea, that looks like it, Monk.

I wasn't born yet, so I know TG is older and wiser than I am.

I do remember when I was a kid, my father taking me up City Hall in Camden - the most outstanding skyscraper in town after the RCA building with the stained glass dog Nipper.

We went up to his office in the detective bureau and I recall seeing a cabinet of the Thompsons - five or six of them in a row, waiting for action.

I know there was another model of Thompson or one that had a round, rather than straight clip.

Another Jersey Shore town, Longport, south of Atlantic City, recently tried to auction off their lone Thompson for thousands of dollars, though I don't know what it finally went for.

BK